Tangerine Wheat | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by MLegendre on 07-28-2006

Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 890

Got this one in a trade with nickd717. Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand your fervor for this beer.

Appearance: Orange, fizzy and cloudy. The head dissipates in a matter of seconds. It's like pouring soda.

Smell: Tang.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fermented Tang. This literally tastes exactly like Tang, minus the sweetness.

Drinkability: If I had kids, this is what I'd put in their lunchboxes. Personally, I'll stick to beer that doesn't taste like soda.

2.18/5  rDev -34.1%

Bomber- pours a cloudy dull orange with thin soapy head and little lacing. Nose- big orange juice, five alive beverage smell that overpowers any malt in the nose. Taste- stale fake orange juice. Has a very mineral dryness to it. Little flavour from the malt. A screw driver would be much more satisfying if one was looking for an orange flavoured adult beverage.

2.36/5  rDev -28.7%

I'm not going to spend an hour detailing every aspect of this one.

Tangerines are evident big time on the nose and to lesser extent on the taste...both though come off as artificial to me...the taste is of sweet artificial tangerine flavoring..just doesn't taste good to me or feel right...syrupy almost.... nice idea with the tangerines but this is not done well and is not one I would drink again.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

Decent fruit-based wheat ale from Lost Coast.

Cloudy orange-amber with a decent, thin white head. Tangerine and soda hints, with slight traces of wheat, malt and hops.

Sweet orange soda flavour with a bit of a bitter (almost like tonic water) background from the hops. Good malt and wheat flavour, but this is overshadowed by the tangerine.

Good, low carbonation but a little sweet. Not quite as sessionable as it should be, even when served cold on a hot night.

2.67/5  rDev -19.3%

Glass looks like tangerine juice, with a nice white head.

You notice the citrus in the nose, but probably couldn't identify tangerine unless you looked at the bottle.

Citrus hints in the mouth, balanced by the wheat. Nothing stands out in the mouth, though the tangerine comes through in the finish.

There is a subtle refreshing carbonation in the mouth that would quench a thirst on a hot day, but I wouldn't want to drink more of this than I had to.

4.52/5  rDev +36.6%

Purchased in Weaverville, CA at Tops Market.

This beer had a pretty foggy/hazzy appearance. Smelled like a pretty nice tangerine. The taste was quite surprising, I had never had a fruity beer before, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was medium carbonation from what I noticed. In my opinion, fruity beers have kinda been more of a 'girlie' thing, but after finally having one, I can say this would be a good beer to have on a hot day for any guy. Enjoyable when you just want to kick back.

3.77/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky looking orange body. Fiery streaks of ruby accent. Thin dirty white head caps it off and leaves minimal amounts of lace. Aroma is bright, citrusy and full of tangerine. Like it. Taste can be described as all fruit flavor and little to no wheat flavor. I'd like a little more of a wheat presence, but this really isn't too bad as is. It's bright and spritzy and full of tangerine. A citric bitterness lingers. Body is medium and carbonation is fairly jacked up. Could be used as a decent refresher on a hot day.

3.57/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle. Pours a hazy light orange amber with a thin white head. Aroma is tangerine and other citrus and a touch of malt. Flavor is also tangerine and malt, with only a hint of bitterness. Smooth and light mouthfeel. Not bad, but not my thing really. It is different, but I think I like other wheats better.

Poured a nice light golden color with a nice whote head. Nose was pretty simple and straightforward..tangerine and wheat. Taste was nice, pretty balanced just enough tangerine to give it a great taste but not overpower like many fruit/wheat beer combos. Low ABV makes it very easy to drink and this would be a good hot summer day beer but not a session beer.

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Served on draft in a plastic cup... Clear dark orangey gold with a modest white head. Aroma is tangerine, grains, cream, and citrus. Flavor is grainy with banana pith notes and a rather decently-melded tangerine note. Doesn't taste overly artificial, although it is pretty sweet. Inoffensive, better than a lot of crummy fruit wheat beers out there.

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried this from a bomber bought in FL.

A-obviously unfiltered with a cloudy, tangerine color. Looks like orange juice.

S-full of tangerine/citrusness with a bit of the esters coming through. No alcohol present.

T-again, full of tangerine with a yeasty quailty. Much sweeter than I expected.

M/D-High carbonation in this one, but a pretty refreshing beer for July in SC.

Couldn't drink then entire bomber, too sweet, but a good beer all things considered. Give this one a try.

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy orange with blonde highlights and a decent cream colored cap that settles quicky to a skim and leaves scaps of lace behind. The smell is pure, fresh tangerine rind and orange candy. The flavor is incredibly fruity like a shandy or radler, half pale wheat beer and half diet orange soda/tangerine juice. Light bodied and creamy. I guess the drinkability depends on how much you like fruit flavor in your beer, it's a little much for my liking.

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

Murky tangerines dipped in golden honey, beneath an attractive French vanilla colored lid. Filtering beer takes away too much of its visual character, so I'm glad it wasn't done here. Although the foam is whipped creamy, it isn't sticky enough to leave more than several splotches of lace. No matter, the beer itself looks great.

Never mind the 'hint of tangerine' as claimed on the label, because the aroma is exploding with juicy fruit. I could even appreciate it when the glass was sitting on the desktop. The scent is natural rather than artificial, which is a plus. There is, however, an undercurrent of children's chewable aspirin, which better not be present on the palate.

It was probably too much to expect that Tangerine Wheat would taste as wonderful as it smells. Unfortunately, a moderate bitterness causes orange-flavored aspirin to dominate the flavor profile. The underlying wheat beer doesn't taste great either. Too grainy and bland.

There aren't any other flavors present, which isn't necessarily a sin in a fruit-based wheat beer. It's simply untoasted wheat, tangerine juice and a few pinches of crushed aspirin. A little more sweetness might have helped for balance's sake... and might have turned it into a pretty decent chick beer... which I've been known to drink on occasion... even though I'm a dude.

The mouthfeel is light, as the style demands, but it doesn't have enough carbonation. It feels thin during the front half of each mouthful and borderline flat during the back half.

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat sounds like a pretty good idea. Too bad the execution leaves a little something to be desired. Indica IPA and 8 Ball Stout are still this brewery's best.

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was a pretty good beer.

Appearance- Appearance is orange and cloudy.

Smell- The first thing I smelled was orange soda.

Taste- tangerine

Mouthfeel- light to medium body

Drinkability- This was a pretty good beer and would drink it again. It will definitely prevent scurvy.

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass

Pours a hazy dark golden color with a one inch off-white head that falls to a cap. Moderate lacing left down the glass.

Aroma is of straight tangerines. It's part real tangerine and part orange candy. However, it's quite pleasing.

Taste is pretty much straight tangerine as well, a bit on the sweet side. There's a bit of a bready wheat flavor in there but the orange pretty much dominates. Overall it tastes like orange candy though.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, pretty crisp, nothing to complain about. Drinkability suffers though because it tastes like candy.

There's nothing really offensive about this beer but it's just too much like candy as I've said. Plenty of better summer beers out there.

3.48/5  rDev +5.1%

brings new meaning to Breakfast Beer... Reminds me of nothing so much as the day when cheap orange juice is about to go bad, but is still okay to drink. Surprisingly, I really liked it. As my first beer of the day, I'm not likely to chalk this up to palate-numbing.

Nose is powerfully citrusy. This is where the distinction between tangerine and orange is clearest. Color is a cloudy amber. Heaad is thin and disappates quickly. In dim lighting, I can't really be sure, but I suspect I see zest oils killing the head - thin tendrils cling to the glass.

Delicious and refreshing. Serve with bacon!

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

No freshness dating on this 1 pint 6 oz. brown bottle poured into a Nonic pint glass.

Appearance: light honey colored body, almost copper with minimal off-white head, which lasts only seconds. The clarity of the initial pour is followed by a cloudy sediment laden second pour. Lacing is almost unknown.

Smell: orange kool-aid is the first impression with slight lemony citrus scents. Mild sweetness of oranges, tangerines and a slight twang of wheat malt.

Taste: the flavors of lighter side wheat take a backseat to a cheap orange kool-aid flavoring. The flavors get better after the second pour which allows the yeast and more flavors to enter the glass. The tangerine flavors are slightly subdued by the yeast additions.

Mouthfeel: on the lighter side of medium. A slight twang of citrus peel. Carbonation is gentle and rarely seen.

Drinkability: I really want to like this beer with its tangerine and wheat profile, but the fruit flavors seem cheap. More wheat malt and a REAL tangerine addition, even at a lesser degree, would improve this beer.

3.47/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Last time I had an orange Hefe it was a Mandarin Hefe from Grants in their last years alive. It was over carbonated and too orangey. This is a better orange beer because the carbonation level is on the lower level and they don't knock you over the head with the Tangerine taste. It pours a kinda cloudy peachy dark gold colour with little head.The beer itself is a pretty good wheat with the tangerine showing up in the midbody and the finish.I added a lime slice and it helped the acid on the mouthfeel and then I added half a Whistler Wheat to added a more Hefe flavour. I ended getting a real nice summer beer but really the intial product is just OK

4.01/5  rDev +21.1%

The Tangerine Wheat poured a semi hazy yellowish orange color with not much head or lacing.
The smell was awesome. One whiff and you were overwhelmed with the lovely essence of the tangerine. The taste was fairly bitter with a good wheat malt to it with a dominant tangerine. it was pretty thin and mildly carbonated. Overall not a bad fruit beer effort.

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow with two-finger head that dies quickly and has a very fruity, springy smell. I like fruit beers, and had some hopes for this but it disapoints. First, it is sharp and sour tasting with the overcarbonation. Also, the fruit taste, the "tangerine", feels like I'm drinking a flavored Diet Soda - just a little fake. The beer passes somewhat smooth and finishes clean, but it is rather pointedly tasty and not for the better. I don't see myself drinking this again.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Wow, that's a lot of tangerine. Really. I mean if you're into super fruity beers and are especially fond of tangerines, this baby is up your alley. Otherwise I advise you to avoid this beer. There is a little bit of clean wheat malt flavor, but like I'm saying - tangerine, tangerine, tangerine.

2.45/5  rDev -26%

Appearance- Poured into a weizen glass, a spritzy white head rises no more than a fat finger, and quickly releases to the sky. The body is a nice burnt orange core surrounded by a vibrant yellow.

Smell- It took me a second to put my finger on it, but this beer smells like Fruity Pebbles, but mixed with a bit of screwdriver (the drink).

Taste- Tangerine tastes like it smells. It's like an adult version of the milk left over after a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The wheat shows itself on the back end, but the tangerine fruity, juiciness dominates. Reminds me a lot of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, or maybe it's there Berry Wheat. Either way, the tangerine and fruit flavors taste like they've been added from concentrate, and don't give me the authentic tangerine flavor I'm looking for. I know I've said this before, but why don't breweries use German wheat yeast strains for these beers they're adding these types of fruit to instead of leaving us with this bland, cardboard wheat flavor to back the fruit. Man, the more I drink this, the more I feel like I'm drinking Budweiser cut with juice like a junior high girl.

MF- The tangerine "flavor" clings to the sides of my tongue and it becomes pretty unpleasant. The carbonation is medium-high and the body is pretty light because of it.

Drinkability- Saying this is a beer for junior high girls would be disrespectful to junior high girls' palates. It's nauseating how fake this beer tastes. I can't even give this beer the ol' "would probably be good in the scorching sun" label often given to shitty lagers and wheat beers. I don't like to be a hater, but I feel abused paying $3 for this "beer."

2.68/5  rDev -19%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a hazy/cloudy orange-amber color. Minimal off-white head is more of a film. Minimal visible carbonation.

Smell: Fresh-squeezed tangerine. Pretty good smell, but there's nothing else there.

Taste: First hit to the tongue and I think of drinking OJ or something. A very noticable (though thankfully not too strong) citrus flavor the whole way through. There's a bit of wheat in there towards the finish, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and smooth. Decent amount of carbonation, which seems to fit with the flavor.

Drinkability: Fine to drink, but gets old after a bit.

Basically this tastes like less-concentrated tangerine juice. Sure, there is a hint of wheat in there, but you hardly notice it. It loses all sense of being a beer in the taste. Really pointless, even for the novelty factor... better just to visit the produce and/or juice sections of your local grocery store.

3.27/5  rDev -1.2%

I am always wary of flavored beers, I find most to be too sweet or fake tasting and this one didn't impress me.

The beer poured a nice light golden color. It is an unfiltered wheat so it was nice and cloudy.

The smell was very orange and tangerine. A strong citrus nose.

The taste was very lackluster. In all honesty my first reaction was "it tastes like bad orange juice with water and High Life". I think i stand by that description. It tasted like watered down orange flavor and weak beer.

The mouthfeel was light and very carbonated, at least in the batch I had.

I was disappointed, I expected better things from this beer and it turned out to have the same pitfalls as most flavored beers.

Beer poured a 1.5 finger head that dies quickly. Cloudy orangish-amber color looks rather intriguing. Smell is what I expected, wheaty with tangerines. Taste is a pretty straight forward, a wheat beer with a tangerine finish. It's a simple beer that is very easy to drink. However, I think I'd get bored with it after a couple.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe