8 Ball Stout | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe
lostcoast.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Eight Ball Stout is not for the faint of heart. It’s bold as hell and robust as can be, but it’ll reward your palate like no other stout. Roasted malts and heavy hops give it a flavor that will have you pouring another before you’re even finished with the first.

Added by kbub6f on 07-23-2002

Ratings: 1,085 |  Reviews: 552
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.77/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottle from BevMo near San Clemente, CA
Have had in a beer glass and straight from the bottle

A - Pours nicely and looks great in a glass but it also nice from the bottle as well.

S - Nice chocolate smell with malty and roasted barley goodness. I like to just smell this beer before drinking.

T- There is a nice smooth chocolate slide as it goes down with a very slight hint of coffee; also a touch of carbonation more predominant than most stouts. Malts are there and hops are hidden and I like that.

M- Medium to dark body.

O- I love this beer. If you are looking for a "drinkable" stout, this is it. As a stout lover, I also like that it is lower in alcohol which makes it a "more than one" stout.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very dark brown. Pours with a moderate head, but retains a thin khaki head.

S - Mostly chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts.

T - Starts off with dark chocolate, followed by coffee bitterness and roasted malts. Finishes with some oats. I'm not big on oatmeal stouts, typically, but this is a pretty good beer.

M - Pretty smooth, with moderate carbonation and a little creaminess. Not watery at all.

O - Enjoyable stout. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely something I could see myself drinking again. I'd like to try this one again on draft, because I bet it's a lot tastier.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- An aggressive pour yields a thick two finger head, decent retention.

S- Sweet cola-like, a little chocolate, not much else.

T- Cola again, like a chocolatey coke. A little coffee.

M- A little thin for a stout, a little too carbonated.

0- A decent, albeit run of the mill stout (I am sampling this after a Founder's Breakfast Stout though.)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

As I pour a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice average 1 inch head appears over a beautiful dark black brew that's impossible to see through in even the brightest light.

I take a whiff, and immediately, roasted malts hit the nose.... Following soon after are deep notes of chocolate and coffee with the slightest hint of cola.

As I sip it, I get creamy chocolate notes with coffee, roasted malts, and smokiness also hit the palate.

This is a pretty creamy brew with a medium body.

Overall, I really enjoyed this stout.... Not the best stout I've ever had, but I certainly liked it just like most brews I've had out of the Lost Coast Brewery there in good ol' Humboldt County.

8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe