8 Ball Stout | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe
lostcoast.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Eight Ball Stout is not for the faint of heart. It’s bold as hell and robust as can be, but it’ll reward your palate like no other stout. Roasted malts and heavy hops give it a flavor that will have you pouring another before you’re even finished with the first.

Added by kbub6f on 07-23-2002

Reviews: 542 | Ratings: 1,065
4.35/5  rDev +13%

Black n brown with a large cappucino head. Aroma consists of ground coffee and belgian chocolate. Tastes exquisite..roasted and full. Sweet. Dark Chocolate. Medium carbonation. Big, black, and chewy. Your sip transcends into a superb black coffee finish.

This stout is just so well rounded. The sweetness level is perfect. It's more chewy than it is creamy, but it still balances really well.

Thank you Lost Coast. This is why I love you.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Now this is what I love about a nice Stout!

Black as the darkest of nights with not the slightest bit of light that I can gather seeping through the crevices of the glass. The head upon the initial pour is brown and thick, but dies down around midway through the glass leaving a nice ring to look upon and admire.

The aroma of burnt coffee and chocolate fills the nose and encourages you to take the initial sip.

What a sip it is at that! From a strictly taste standpoint this may very well belong among my alltime favorite Stouts of any type. The flavors are much like what one would expect when taking the nose into account. Deeply roasted malt and the finest of chocolates in tandem with a nice full flavored coffee and just enough hops to balance things out without going overboard.

Make no mistake this is one heck of a Stout and very much worthy of the praise it's gotten thus far. The mouthfeel lingers long after one swallows and begs the drinker for more.

This is the first Brew from Lost Coast I've had the honor of trying, but if this one is any indication I will seek out some of the others. Can't reccomend this Stout highly enough.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a straight forward oatmeal stout. 5.8% abv. Dark black in appearance with a nice off colored white creamy head. Taste of toasted malts and faint hints of chocolate. A super smooth stout, one of the lightest oatmeal stouts I have tasted, very drinkable. We finally got some rain here in San Diego and I went with this brew for our "cold" weather stint we have going over here. Lost Coast keeps it pretty simple and straightforward, this isnt the most complex beer out there, but its still damn good in its simplicity.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

650ml bottle. Pours an opaque black with an ample tan head that fades moderately fast. Some lacing observed. The aroma is of roasted coffee with a bit of molasses. Flavor featuress burnt toast, coffee, walnuts, dirt and some bittersweet chocolate. Moderately hopped. Mouthfeel was full and satisfying. Finish was long and glorious. This is one very nicely well balanced stout. Recommended, I will drink again.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Smooth and dark brown/black, with an inch of creamy tan head. Retention is quite poor and there is no lacing at all.

S: Full of chocolate malts and sweetness with some coffee undertones. A touch of smokiness, as well. Reminds me of Dark Lord.. a very, very weakened and watered-down Dark Lord.

T: Definitely a sweet brew! Lots of roasted chocolate malts and some coffee. Not quite as bold of flavors as I expected from the nose, but still enjoyable.

M: For a stout, it's honestly very thin. Not near as full-bodied as most stouts I have had. When I drink a stout, I want that thicker/creamier mouthfeel.

D: Highly drinkable, this bomber didn't last long between two of us. Most stouts that I have had were considered RIS so this is a nice lower abv and lighter option.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours thick and black into a pint glass. No head whatsoever, very little lacing. Smells highly of roasted barley and coffee. Taste is refreshing and with only slight bitterness. Carbonation is quite low and the mouthfeel is smooth but dry. Very drinkable even with the somewhat high alcohol, which, by the way, is not obvious from the taste.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Holy cow was this an unusual site to be seen!! This beer poured darker than any I have seen and the head was so incredibly brown I thought I was looking at a rich chocolate mousse!! The fragrance has a really nice roasty scent to it that should be savoured!! This is one for anyone who truly appreciates a nice dark rich brew!! While there is no coffee to be found in here, it could be compared to a nice dark roast cup of coffee like the ones I have had in the Yukon in Canada as opposed to your typical (U.S.) mass market brewed coffee. The head lingered for quite some time as did the roastiness of the flavor. Find this and ENJOY!!

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

This screw-top bottle was one of the more affordable in my local beer store, at $1.69 per bottle in a mixed six pack. At least the low price made this run-of-the-mill stout feel like a better value.

Aroma shows plenty of dark malt, but it is odd - tobacco like; more specifically, not like a pipe or cigar, but like Copenhagen snuff. No, I don't dip, so it wasn't from a lump stuck to my moustache or anything.

Flavor is just OK. Enough dark malt to know it is a dark beer. Enough hops to know it;s not a porter, but nothing outstanding at all. Around the tasting table we all shrugged and went "eh, it's OK. What's next?"

I won't turn one down next time I run across it, but I won't go out of my way to get one either. There is a place in town that has it on tap; perhaps it will fare better served that way.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Pours black with a small offwhite head that recedes quickly.

Smell is typical for a stout. Some coffee and chocolate. Smells a bit creamy. Maybe a hint of hops.

Taste has a nice hop presence upfront. Combined with the chocolate and coffee, and the roasted malt. Taste is slightly creamy like I got in the smell. Also surprisingly smooth, with no real bitterness. The hop bite doesn't linger very long.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little carbonated. Doesn't coat the mouth nearly as much as some stouts do.

Drinkability is high. This is easy drinking for a stout, and goes down super easy.

This was a single bottle the GF brought home from Trader Joes, after never having heard of the brewery. I'm surprised how great this beer is, and will definitely drink again.

2.77/5  rDev -28.1%

12 ounces into a Duvel glass...

Pitch-black motor oil in color, with a 3/4 inch off-white head that quickly dissipates into a slight collar. Missing some of that big creamy cap that I see with other stouts. A big sniff presents brown sugar, molasses, a touch of butterscotch, and a tad of bittersweet chocolate. Though I am no stout pro by any means, it strikes me as a bit of a departure. First sip: right off, I get some of that brown sugar and toffee-like characteristics, but the middle is a strong fruitiness, some berry and (am I crazy, here) some raisin? Finishes with a quick slap of liquorice and the faintist hint of chocolate. I'm stumped, honestly. It seems to have more in common with a dubbel or quad than a stout. All of the quintessential things I would look for are absent. And then to compound the crime, it resembles a Belgian, but not a very good one either. Body is medium, with not much in the way of carbonation or hoppy tingle. A bad bottle, maybe? I can't tell. But I am very much underwhelmed.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Very dark with ruby hints around the edges. Two fingers of thick creamy head.

S - Rich chocolate, toasty malts, coffee, slight hint of the oatmeal sweetness.

T - Here is where you notice the oatmeal. Chocolate, coffee, toasty malts and the oatmeal sweetness really shines through here.

M - Very nice and creamy with a slight stickiness. Medium to high carbonation.

O - I'll probably get this again. Its cheap and a very pleasant beer. Very drinkable. Could session this pretty easily.

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours like a good stout should: black with a small, dark brown head. No lacing to speak of. Taste is roasty up front, with hints of sweetness towards the middle and bitterness in the finish. Very balanced taste, nothing is overpowering. Isnt too bitter or sweet. Kind of like the Goldilocks of stouts. Label indicates presence of oatmeal, roasted and chocolate malts among other ingredients. Very smooth. Just hearty enough: not too filling, but certainly enough to notice. To me, this is the perfect 'middle of the road' stout and probably my favorite non-imperial/double stout. Recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottle from BevMo near San Clemente, CA
Have had in a beer glass and straight from the bottle

A - Pours nicely and looks great in a glass but it also nice from the bottle as well.

S - Nice chocolate smell with malty and roasted barley goodness. I like to just smell this beer before drinking.

T- There is a nice smooth chocolate slide as it goes down with a very slight hint of coffee; also a touch of carbonation more predominant than most stouts. Malts are there and hops are hidden and I like that.

M- Medium to dark body.

O- I love this beer. If you are looking for a "drinkable" stout, this is it. As a stout lover, I also like that it is lower in alcohol which makes it a "more than one" stout.

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: Dark brown coloration with a tan one finger head that almost immediately collapses to just covering the top of the beer.

Smell: Dark chocolate and malts with some dark fruit bringing up the rear.

Taste: Malts and smooth dark coffee.

Feel: Thinner side of medium with moderate carbonation, probably a tad too thin for the style.

Overall: An average stout, doesn't really do anything to stand out from the pack, either good or bad.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich dark brown and black with very little head. The small mahogany head that builds while coming out of the bottle dissipates pretty quick. The body is completely dark with hardly any light passing through.

The nose is full of heavy roasted malts, sweet coffee, and a light caramel essence. The taste is of rich and sweet espresso. It is also very smoothe for a stout and doesnt have the common bitterness. The mouthfeel is overall pleasant and since it isnt too rich it is possible to enjoy of small session of these without worrying about that heavy stout buildup.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer emanated from the 12 oz bottle as though I were pouring liquid liquorice. It filled my glass with a dark mocha color head that quickly dissipated into a small island surrounded by a black sea with a thin ring holding onto the edge of the glass. This is by far the darkest beer I have yet encountered and worthy of extra points for it.

The smell was light on the nose, but what could be detected was dominated by roasted malt with hints of coffee. The taste starts off fairly flat. However, once adjusted after a few sips; complex nuances of espresso, chocolate, toffee, smoke, and roasted hops work together in a narrow flavor band to make the stout surprisingly complex.

This is a smooth and highly drinkable stout that I will assuredly visit with regularity.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Looking at the black blackness of this black beer (yup, it's dark) and the deep brown of the head, I was prepared to be blown away. The smell led me further towards this expectation-- it smelled so clean and delicious. I began to be a little let down, although this is still a great beer, when I took a sip.

It has a pretty intense coffee and burnt malt taste, which could be very desireable in some contexts. The main drawback is a somewhat sharp bitterness in the aftertaste and a sesame oil flavor that I've discussed in other beer reviews (hint: I don't like it).

There's nothing really notable about the mouthfeel, but nothing wrong with it either. Overall I had to give this a 3.0 for drinkability (I treat drinkability as a general "will I buy this again" ranking) because there's nothing bad about it but the cost for what you get. If you like bitter and the deep coffee flavors, this is the beer for you. I'll buy it again, but it'll be a while.

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I loved all the characteristics of this beer. The only derogatory mark was it didn't finish as smooth as I would have hoped. It finished on the boozy side and not as thick and creamy as I had hoped for. Very good. Will search and buy more of this definitely.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: 8 Ball Stout pours a piceous colour, but it isn't the thickest stout. The head was bold and a beautiful cocoa colour, and it left no lacing.

Smell: The coffee was the first thing to hit me, with the chocolate and oatmeal coming next. It's all quite light - I don't thing the smells here are particularly rich compared with my experience of oatmeal stouts.

Taste: 8 Ball Stout is sweet at the front, before the roastier coffee notes take over. Like the smell, the tastes are quite light. It's not what one would call a party in one's mouth.

Mouthfeel: The body of 8 Ball Stout is medium, perhaps on the light side of medium, but still there's a creamy feel to it before the carbonation really kicks in. That carbonation is moderate, and it dies quite quickly, making the beer feel very easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad. Very drinkable. For me this beer is a little on the light side for me to actively seek it out again. This one can just be ranked as "good". As a side note, I've been fortunate to have also had Lost Coast's Bourbon Barrel Aged 8 Ball on tap, and that one is a superb imperial stout.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Deep brown, nice cream/tan head. This looks like a stout should. Holding it up to the light reveals a deep mahogany red. Beer is nice and clear. No haze.

S- Malty, but takes a while to open up. I get a slight hint of coffee. I think this will get better as it sits.

T- While still chilled, the defining flavor is a mix between coffee and chocolate. Initially malty gradually moves into the chocolate coffee.The flavor is subtle. I really have to think about what I am tasting. It would be easy to just gulp this down. Aftertaste is slightly more coffee bitter. Overall I would describe this as a beer with a lot of depth of flavor without being overpowering.

M - This is where this beer begins to stand out. All the flavor is there without the feeling of sucking on syrup. For a stout this has a surprisingly refreshing mouthfeel. I am glad I bought the 22 oz bottle.

D - I think this is on the high end for stouts. However, the after taste does leave a slightly sticky feel to it. This is typical of stouts so I don't give it too many demerits.

Overall - I find this beer enjoyable, but to really stand out with a stout, the flavor has to blow me away. This is a good stout overall, but I need a little bit more to push it to the elite.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours an opaque black with deep orange edges and a half inch tan head. The smell is of coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Tastes of roasted malt and cocoa bitterness with some hop notes in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is velvety from the oats, although a little on the thin side. Very smooth and stays on your tongue. Overall, a tasty and robust stout I'd have again.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Stouts are my favorite. And this stout was surprise. On sale at Albertson's for only $2.99!!! Dark enough to to use for protection while watching a solar eclipse. Nice head...three fingers on a rapid pour. Nice lacing. Chocolate. Not as bitter as many stouts. Not as smokey either. Very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is such that you are in no hurry to swallow. Swish Swish Swish...enjoy...swallow - only if I have to. Ahhh...tasty! I can't think of a better bargain.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: nearly opaque with a red tint to it, thin tan head
S:smells very rosty and nutty
T: roated coffee and chocolate nice dry finish
M: decent amount of carbonation, with a creamy up front with a dry finish
O: agood off-dry stout, good price point i would buy again

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

Outstanding heavy beer with lots of strong flavors.

A: Deep black, concentrated color

S: Chocolate, coffee, malts, cola (such as a pepsi or coke flavor)

T: Malts, chocolate, coffee, cola (such as a pepsi or coke flavor). Sweet and bitter mix together nicely. Not too sweet, but also not overly bitter.

M: Full body with some creaminess

D: Very drinkable, especially considering the power of the flavors.

Overall, an excellent easy-to-drink stout that is full of flavors, but not overly harsh.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

A- Deep, Deep, Deep brown with a little amber under light, nice cream brown/white head. Very Thick

S- Roasted Barley, slight chocolate finish, very sweet on the nose

T- Very chocolaty right up front with a toasty warm lingering finish

M- Surprisingly light, feels very creamy. Not chewy like the color and thickness told me it was going to be

D- Very good on my taste buds. Would make an excellent pairing beer. One of the better stouts I have poured lately

8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe