Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

8 Ball Stout | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout
3.83/5
Very Good
8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe
lostcoast.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Eight Ball Stout is not for the faint of heart. It’s bold as hell and robust as can be, but it’ll reward your palate like no other stout. Roasted malts and heavy hops give it a flavor that will have you pouring another before you’re even finished with the first.

Added by kbub6f on 07-23-2002

Ratings: 1,090 |  Reviews: 553
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured the 8 Ball into a tulip style glass. The coloring on this stout is very dark. The two fingers of tan head drop down to a scum pretty soon after the initial pour.

Off the top I pick up plenty of coffee and malt. There is also a good amount of roastiness in each whiff. I really like the way this one smells.

The flavor on this one is clean coffee presence. The body on this one is not too heavy, as you would expect from an oatmeal stout.

This makes for an easy to drink stout by Lost Coast. I would definitely pick this one up again next time I see it on the shelf.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into stout glass. Black/brown that shows clear deep garnet red in light, with thick tan head that dissipates after a bit but leaves nice lacing. Smell is roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Taste follows smell, almost so sweet I'd swear it was a milk stout. Mouthfeel slightly fizzy but overall nice and creamy. One of the better stouts in my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

Bottle from BevMo near San Clemente, CA
Have had in a beer glass and straight from the bottle

A - Pours nicely and looks great in a glass but it also nice from the bottle as well.

S - Nice chocolate smell with malty and roasted barley goodness. I like to just smell this beer before drinking.

T- There is a nice smooth chocolate slide as it goes down with a very slight hint of coffee; also a touch of carbonation more predominant than most stouts. Malts are there and hops are hidden and I like that.

M- Medium to dark body.

O- I love this beer. If you are looking for a "drinkable" stout, this is it. As a stout lover, I also like that it is lower in alcohol which makes it a "more than one" stout.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very dark brown. Pours with a moderate head, but retains a thin khaki head.

S - Mostly chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts.

T - Starts off with dark chocolate, followed by coffee bitterness and roasted malts. Finishes with some oats. I'm not big on oatmeal stouts, typically, but this is a pretty good beer.

M - Pretty smooth, with moderate carbonation and a little creaminess. Not watery at all.

O - Enjoyable stout. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely something I could see myself drinking again. I'd like to try this one again on draft, because I bet it's a lot tastier.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- An aggressive pour yields a thick two finger head, decent retention.

S- Sweet cola-like, a little chocolate, not much else.

T- Cola again, like a chocolatey coke. A little coffee.

M- A little thin for a stout, a little too carbonated.

0- A decent, albeit run of the mill stout (I am sampling this after a Founder's Breakfast Stout though.)

8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe