Downtown Brown | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

good
good
Read the review
Downtown BrownDowntown Brown

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe
lostcoast.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by kbub6f on 01-01-2001

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into glass

A: Nice to look at with a two finger head going on there.

S&T: Reminds me a bit of a mild Stone Brewery beer. i think it must be the hops I get that beeswax flavor and aroma that I get from stone beers, but this is much milder and a bit more refreshing. This beer is almost bright tasting without being bitter or overpowering.

M: Let it sit a bit and it gets rather watery.

D: Very refreshing!

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light brown with a thin off-white head with short retention.
Nice aroma with lots of chocolate and nuts.
Flavor with predominant notes of spices, cocoa, caramels, American yeast, hazelnut, earthy hops and cola.
Dry aftertaste with a mild residual roasted note.
Light body with appropriate carbonation.
Easy to drink Brown Ale, actually rather American but not too hoppy. Well rounded, not over sweet, mild and still with nice spices and a nutty profile. Body could be bolder, though.
Ap.3,25 Ar.3,75 Sab.3,5 Sens.3,5 Cj.3,5

3.55/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a snifter. Rich mahogany color with a slightly tan head that retains rather well, which leads to decent lacing. Very nutty aroma, with some sweet complex malts, but nothing over the top. Very nice hazelnut flavor, sweet malts on top with a nicely nutty balance. No hop characteristics. Very smooth and creamy, not heavy at all for a brown ale. Very nice brown ale, very drinkable.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%

Nice, fairly thick creamy head which takes a while to dissapate but leaves almost no lacing. Darker in color than I expected, very dark brown. The smell was good, sweet fruits, coffee, very slight burnt smell. Starts off thin and a bit wattery tasting, and ends decent strong leaving a lingering taste in my mouth. Taste is of coffee, burnt hops, slight sweetness however it didnt seem particularly well balanced. Mouthfeel was a little wattery, creamy, went down smooth. A fairly drinkable beer. Definitely not my favorite brown, but it would be easy to knock a few back.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%

Pors a medium-dark brown with a large off-white head. Scent is not too appealing to be honest. Kinda has a skunky scent (stinky) with some malt. Let's hope the taste is better. Thank God! The taste is SO MUCH better! This is a great-tasting brown ale. I just wish I could mix the scent of Sierra Nevada Tumbler with the taste of this beer. I get some great nutty flavor with light hints of chocolate and delicious malts. There are very little hops present, but the brown sugar makes up for it. Great tasting session brown ale. Mouthfeel is very nice. A little creamy, but not too thick. Drinkability is high, and I'm really hoping there's something wrong with my nose tonight, because this beer smelt awful. Maybe an off bottle or my glass is tainted.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lumpy off-white head that leaves a blanket of lace. The color of the brew is ruby brown and appears to be completely clear.

Strong, deep sweet caramel aroma. Oddly, there's also a raw grain barley smell. Strangely interesting and appealing. Light milk chocolate.

Initially, I catch a touch of smokiness. The flavor becomes a mild dark crystal malt with a lightly sweet touch. Low hop that comes forward during the swallow--appropriate for the style. Thinnish body but with a lower carbonation level.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

I love Lost Coast's labels - it's like Reg Mombassa meets Pablo Picasso. Not only don't we get the craft range of the States in Australia, we don't get the coolest labels either.

Anyway...
This one pours a deep mahogany brown with a vague haze. Head is a thin film of yellowy-beige bubbles. Carbonation is minimal. Looks nice though - I like the colour.

Not a lot on the nose. Hint of roasted malts and a touch of smokiness. Other than that, it's pretty plain. Not a bad nose, but not a lot to it.

Taste is also quite subdued. It's a pleasant, nutty dryness, with a hint of roasty goodness on the back palate. Quite thin, a little sweetness, but very dry at the end. There's not a huge amount there, but it's quite tasty. Feel is moderate with a slight uplift of effervescence.

It's not an overly impressive beer, but it's tasty enough, and it's extremely drinkable. This would make an excellent session as far as I'm concerned. A decent, mild, English style Brown Ale.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of slightly sweet caramel malt in the nose

T - Follows the nose with caramel malt flavor with a touch of chocolate

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is a solid brown thats easy to drink with a good taste overall a well made beer thats worth trying sometime

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Lost Coast glass, it is a deep dark brown with a sticky lacing around the glass as I drink the beer. The smell is sweet in rich with hints of chocolate and dark malts. The taste is a bit sweeter than I expcted but it is packed with roasted malts with a caramel toffee flavor that lingers. Over all a darn good brown ale.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown in color with a creamy light tan colored head that dissipates into a good amount of lace. Nose is sweet and malty with a touch of chocolate. Smooth in texture though the mouth feel is a bit on the thin side. Taste is roasted chocolaty malts followed by a mildly nutty flavor and a dry hop bitterness. Finish is a bit weak. A nice brown ale though nothing great. Thanks to Loki for the sample!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear moderate brown colour with a small creamy tan head. Good head retention and lacing.

Nutty and bready malt with a touch of earthy hop. Good.

Big, nutty brown malt flavour. Slight chocolate character. Nice touch of earthiness. Earhty hops.

Medium ody with moderate carbonation.

Nicely balanced brown ale. A touch more bitterness would be nice here but it certainly ain’t bad.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a medium-dark brown with a thick, light tan head that hangs around for a while. Lots of roasted and chocolate malts control the nose. Some caramel notes also present. Very nice palate of roasted malt, caramel and slight smoke in the finish. Light and flavorful mouthfeel. A very pleasant beer. Quite easy to drink. A nice offering for a brown ale. Worth a try if you find it.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Good clarity. A very dark brown, but ruby highlights are highly visible when held to the light. A contrasting white head vanishes almost instantly.

Smell: Burnt mocha and overripe banana bread. Not terrible, but not very promising.

Taste: A remarkably clean aftertaste doesn't do this beer any flavors, as the roasted dark chocolate flavor seems to simply fall off a cliff with every sip. The overripe banana is also found in the taste, and somehow workks well with unexpected alcohol flavors, making something of a rum cake mixture.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but with a bit of fizz.

Overall: Some interesting elements, but walks a strange, thin line between flavorful and flavorless that ultimately makes it forgettable.

Reviewed from notes:

P: The body of this beer is a copper-tinged brown with an off-white head that is soapy with rather unimpressive retention. Sunk to a halo with a little lace.

A: Mixed variety of tree nuts, earthy hops, and slightly roasted malts. Overall, it has kind of a musky tone to it.

T: Hmm...very subdued, and dare I say, weak. Bittersweet chocolate, toasted nuts, light toffee, and some roasty/toasty malts. Maybe some coffee underneath and earthy hops that give a bitter stab late. Very average-tasting brown ale that's forgettable.

M: Downtown Brown is a medium-bodied brew with a gentle amount of carbonation for an easy-going feel to it.

Notes: This is a very average brew. Nothing horrible but nothing memorable, either. Leaves no calling card to remember it by.

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

I've had this beer before, but I can never remember the flavor. I am not usually a fan of this style, but it's been a while since I have had an English brown ale. Having been to England recently, maybe that will help me enjoy this beer more. Plus, it's a cool story. Two women founded this brewery, and one of them is the brewmaster. That, and this is one of the first beers she came up with. Oh, and I love the label. It's fun! A lot of breweries are trying to use crazy names and create interesting packaging for their beer. This one is simple, but a bright and fun label that was designed by a local artist. Local to Eureka, California, anyway.

Let's drink!

In the Glass: It is darker than I expected. Not black, but a nice thick rich brown color. The lace is weak, but the beer is appetizing. Maybe because I am thirsty, but it still looks delicious.

Nose: I could smell this as I was pouring it. The nose, without even sticking my nose in the glass, is powerful. When I do stick my nose in the glass, I am getting lots of chocolate and some nuttiness that the tasting notes mentioned. But I do get more chocolate than I expected. I just had a can of Sex Panther (LOVE the name) that is a double chocolate porter. I am getting more chocolate here than there.

Flavor: The flavor is really nice. I haven't had a brown ale in a while, but this one is solid. The flavor starts out somewhat sweet, nearing bittersweet. See… I am thinking chocolate again. Then the flavor profile changes completely as you swallow opening up all sorts of flavors. It is a little dry, that I didn't expect. I guess most English beers are dry… so I am not surprised. The aftertaste is really nice, too. But we will get to that.

Mouthfeel: At first, the mouthfeel is thin and boring. But as the beer slides across the tongue, bubbles start to dance and you are hit with a dry finish that lingers. The bubbles are nice, too. I don't normally like carbonation in my beer. But here, it works. It makes me think of a flavorful domestic at first, but then settles on the tongue and leaves you with a really nice nutty finish.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great. It lingers on for a good three minutes. It's dry, and has a burnt chocolate flavor to it. For as cheap as this beer is, I would totally buy this again just to experience that aftertaste. The brewmaster made this beer to pair well with food. I can totally see where this would pair well with pork or beef. Well done, ladies!

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

Just picked up a 6-pack of this stuff at my favorite deli Civera's. The named and label drew my attention so lets see what this stuff is capable of.

Appearance: Pours a dark maple syrup type of copper brown that does look appetizing and the hint of foam head just kind of adds to my continuing fascination.

Smell: Not too much that I haven't seen brought to the plate before. Hints of fruitiness and toasted malts that bring a overpowering presence.

Taste: Nice combination of strong malt and a chocolate mixture of fruitiness that does linger for a moment before descending into a more bitter undertone that doesn't offend. The sort of coffee flavor isn't my favorite point, but doesn't seem to bother me much.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body, with a slight atmosphere of carbonation.

Drinkability: Flavors are present in this ale, but seem that your waiting for more when really your not. I would drink this again, but most likely not. Did go down easy on a hot night, but hey most beers do. Not to knock this, but something that isn't for me at the moment. Cheers!

Downtown Brown from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe