Battle Axe | Austin Beerworks

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 48
Reviews by TomTown:

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at the Draught House.

The beer pours a reddish color with a white head. The aroma is some biscuit and toffee malts with a whole lot of pine from the hops. It smells like a super-hopped red ale, which is how the bartender described it.

The flavor is very bitter, but very good. I get a lot of pine from the hops as well as some resin and some orange citrus. There is also a little bit of biscuit malt and some toffee, but the bitterness level is about medium. The beer is fairly dry and the bitterness is lingering.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

Clear amber pour with a two finger head. Big hoppy flavor upfront with pine. Body has bits of biscuit and citrus. Bitterness lingers through to a really nice dry finish.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got a chance to drink this beer. The first time around, I was told it was all out at a local bar, so I was afraid I won't be able to try it.

The appearance was great, and the aroma was coming alive. It was served in a pint glass, which we all know is not always the best type to get a waft of aroma. It smelled fresh, and hops was showing off somewhat.

The taste was, for me, a bit of the more surprising part than anything else. I can taste a lot of malts coming through, which made it more "sweet," but there was also hint of bitterness. For me, it was very drinkable as it was a bit more on the malty side. 8% ABV? I didn't realize that until I came on here to review.

Overall, I think it's a great beer to drink. I had few red ales recently, and I think this one is the best one of the bunch.

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%