Sputnik | Austin Beerworks

Added by BeerZack on 12-30-2011

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 128
Reviews by 2xHops:
4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

I want to preface my review with an admission: I don't like coffee that much at all. It was a risk for me to try this beer, but i had to give it a try.

The beer had a typical dark brown/black body with very little head. It was not foaming much at all, and the smell definitely hit you hard with the coffee aroma. It lives up to its name.

I was somehow hoping that it wasn't too overpowering in the taste department with the coffee presence. As opposed to other beers that had coffee in them, I do feel this particular beer was well-balanced and easy to drink.

The only thing that I felt that this beer fell flat was in the mouthfeel department. It felt a bit too flat for my taste, and for me it did feel a bit too thin as well.

It's still a pretty dang good beer coming from ABW, and I know many of you will enjoy this.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

The brewery calls Sputnik a Russian Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Stout.
Smells straight up like an iced coffee. Intriguing. Cream, sugar, roasted coffee beans, its all there. The similarities don't end there. The impression that Im drinking an iced latte or other sweetened cold drink from a coffeeshop continues as I sip. The astringency that adding coffee to beer sometimes brings out is gladly missing in this brew, but I think the body of the beer may have absorbed the shot. While its still very much medium to medium-full bodied, I prefer my RIS's to be pretty weighty. There is a bit more flavor development on towards the finish which brings out some chocolate and a deeper roastiness that keeps it from being cloying, which still reinforces the whole iced coffee ideal. Overall, this beer is pretty delicious in a unique way.

3.62/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very drinkable, very smooth, but no complexity whatsoever.
The nose is pretty much just cold brew coffee and the taste is the same. Overly sweet to me, even for an oatmeal stout. I'm not sure why they're putting "Russian" in the style description.
Overall, it's fine, but with the local hype, I was expecting so much more. It's not something I would probably get again with so much else available during the stout months.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this a couple of times over the weekend. Once at Hopfields and once at a NYE house party. Excellent. Just excellent. Reminded me a lot of Peche Mortel, but the coffee flavor was much stronger in this and IMO better.

The beer was black. I can definitely say that. When I served it at a NYE party, the beer definitely stained the red Solo cup (not just a cup... a friend) that I poured it in. Nothing special, but not bad either.

The smell was coffee. Whoa, boy. Coffee. Nicely rounded and full-bodied coffee. Cuvee knows what they're doing. When I popped open the growler at the NYE party, you could smell this thing from across the room. Mmmm... strong.

The beer was fairly dry and relatively light. Good carbonation kept it feeling fresh. The taste was mostly the coffee, but there was also a roasted, chalky background that complemented the coffee quite well. This isn't really a RIS, but who cares about styles anyway? Damned tasty. The sips definitely brought back Peche Mortel to my mind, but the coffee in this thing was much stronger and much better.

Overall, this was excellent work that nailed the RICO style. I was glad to have it again and this beer once again cements the quality of ABW in my mind.

4.21/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.52/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sputnik from Austin Beerworks