Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Einhorn | Austin Beerworks

Availability: Summer

Added by Mora2000 on 07-18-2012

Reviews by Locapour:
3.51/5  rDev -14.4%

This was a new experience for me. I haven't ventured too far into sour beers just yet and even though this isn't a traditional sour the tartness took me by surprise.

I covered the beer in an episode of Locapour: http://locapour.tv/austin/austinbeerworkseinhorn

My guest for this episode was Tre Miner, a Certified Cicerone, and I had him choose the beer. It was very eye opening for me. At first I didn't like it but over the course of the discussion you can see that I opened up to the possibilities of the Berliner Weisse.

I would LOVE to try this beer with the traditional raspberry syrup presentation or with fresh fruit. I have a feeling it would be a great experience.

I also have a feeling that I might find myself rating this beer higher next summer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Thanks to someone for sharing this growler at thirdeye11's tasting. This is Texas rating No. 500.

The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma has some slightly sour wheat notes, as well as some lemon character. The flavor is very similar. There is some lactic sourness, as well as some wheat and lemon notes. While the sourness is present the beer, it is fairly subtle and overall the beer is very easy to drink. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one as it is always nice to have a new Berliner Weisse, especially one brewed in Texas.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Finally Austin Beerworks has a sour. Very light drinkable mildly sour beer, wish they would can it!

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%