Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Spiked Punch
Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Spiked PunchSteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Spiked Punch
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Okay
Notes:
Reviews: 13 | Ratings: 36 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.98/5  rDev +50.8%

If you're a fan of traditional beer/ale this is not for you.. however, if you're a fan of alcohol or flavored beers, this isn't too bad, it's like a light fourloko. If you don't like the taste of beer, you'll probably like one of these flavors. No heavy alcohol smell really, just very fruity smelling I think personally.. tastes like any other fruit punch drink, just carbonated.

2.36/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

The CANQuest (tm) makes no bones about its humble beginnings, mainly relegated to AALs & AMLs, so when something like this crops up, there is no shame in my game.

From the CAN: "Brewed for extra gravity & exceptionally smooth flavor".

There I was, faced with a massive 24-fl. oz. CAN of high gravity madness ... again! How to proceed? I wedged a coin under the tab for leverage and levered upwards until a loud Crack! occurred. I motioned the crane into position & once the CAN was secured, I began a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. Color was Deep Pink, almost Magenta (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. An in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of fizzy pink cotton CANdy-colored head that acted like pop & quickly fizzled away. Nose smelled truly artificial, straight out of the chem lab! Yeah, it was evocative of Hawai'ian Punch, but looking back on it, I am not sure that it used natural fruit flavoring or juice, either. Mouthfeel was thin & watery. The taste was both super sweet and very unnatural, def born in a chem lab. I have been dabbling with the Four Loko series recently & the only thing that separates this beer (?) from them is the ABV. The taste had the same chemical sharpness that I also find unpleasant in a lot of CANdy, which is part of the reason that I do not CANsume much of it. Finish was a little hard to quantify since it had a sugary sweetness, but at the same time, the "extra gravity" had allowed the yeast to create a light heat with inherent dryness. Semi-sweet? Semi-dry? Hmm. You tell me.

3.28/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Sometimes you feel like a Four Loko, sometimes you don't.

The Alloy Series line is 8.0% ABV.

Steel Reserve stripped of all beer flavor and then given artificial colors and flavoring is a fruit/vegetable beer? HOORAY, Four LOKO is a fruit/vegetable beer too then! Give me a break. This is a flavored malt liquor. "FLAVORED ALE. MALT BEVERAGE WITH ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR & CERTIFIED COLORS."

This is the second flavor that I'm trying in this line, the first one being the Spiked Watermelon. That didn't go so well.

Fair warning: "punch" is always my least desired flavored malt beverage flavor.

A: Yes, I'm pouring this into a glass. Color is as expected, maybe a little darker. Looks like cherry Kool-Aid. A little hazy. Head disappears in 20 seconds and settles to some very patchy foam with a teeny-tiny ring. Slight lacing! Off to a good start here.

S: Hawaiian Punch. Surprisingly well rounded and the cheap malt liquor/boozy smell is absent. It would be possible to smell this and not notice the alcohol let alone the cheap-ass malt liquor base alcohol. Doesn't smell too sweet either. I can actually pick up cordial cherry and pineapple scents. Also worth noting this doesn't smell medicinal.

T: Right off the bat this doesn't have that horrible artificial sweetener taste that the Spiked Watermelon flavor did! Sweetness is sugary but subdued. Really nice balance of sweet and tart. Fruit flavors arrive in the middle and are once again cherry and pineapple but now with some orange. Finishes clean with just a slight tartness. This may be the best "punch" flavored malt liquor I've had. The lack of medicinal flavor (think Robitussin) is impressive! Compare this to the Four Loko version and you'll see what I mean. Still, punch is always the worst flavor. Any hint of Steel Reserve is stripped from this lest you thought that you might be drinking a "punchy" 211.

M: Strong, tight carbonation. A little puckering but goes with the theme. Not as watery as the Spiked Watermelon flavor.

O: To my recollection this is the best punch-flavored flavored malt beverage that I've had. Really worth noting the lack of medicinal smell and flavor here. Some of these are just brutal, but, to be fair, are also 12% ABV or more where this is 8%. This isn't something that I'd seek out again. Kudos to Miller-Coors-A-B-Molson-Whatever for their effort on this one.

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought a 24oz can Times Supermarket $1.99
Sweet fruit punch smell
Light carbonation
Medium-light mouthfeel like syrupy drinks
Taste like overly sweet cheap fruit punch, can't taste the alcohol
Overall I don't think you could call this a beer in any fashion. It does taste like its name, but if this really was fruit punch I would say that it needs more water to reduce the sweetness. If they could reduce the sweetness it would make it more drinkable for non-beer drinkers.

3.19/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24 oz. can:

Pours clear pink with a quickly vanishing head. No lacing to speak of.

The smell is of fruit punch, alcohol, some grain.

The taste is of spiked fruit punch - just as promised. A bit of grain mixes in, just enough to make it a beer rather than a fruity malt soda. Suprisingly smooth despite high abv.

Not bad for what it is. Reviewed for what it is.

Sweet, but not overly so. Not sticky.

2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Can rating.

Shitty pink head over a light red body. Looks like crappy high school party punch. Head retention is abysmal - 10 seconds at best. No lacing.

Aroma brings artificial Hawaiian punch. That's it, but then I guess that's what they're after. Aromatic intensity is above average.

Taste could be worse. Artificial punch flavour. Vague fruit. The sweetness of the beer isn't as high as I feared, but it's still on the high side. Not boozy, at least. A bit syrupy, a bit sticky.

Smooth, wet, unrefreshing, sickly. Not overcarbonated, to its credit. It's not as thick nor as syrupy as I suspected. Merely medium-bodied. No alcohol heat here.

I came into this expecting to hate it, but it's merely a high alcohol punch-flavoured "beer." For me, it crosses the line into alcopop territory, but I've had far worse. Sugary and sweet, but not syrupy or cloying. Tolerable for one can worth, but I definitely wouldn't trifle with this a second time.

D (2.15) / AVOID

2.73/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'm actually a big fan of flavored beers and as a result, I've had alot of experience with different flavored beers and other flavored alcohol, the Steel Reserve Alloy Series is among the best out there for the "gas station" flavored beers. The Spiked Punch is by far my least favorite of the Steel Reserve lineup. On the nose, it just smells of booze and cheap Hawaiian punch, however it isn't too unpleasant. Taste wise, it isn't terrible but, it isn't great either, very sweet upon arrival, followed by a somewhat sharp taste of cheap alcohol, the taste is most similar to Hawaiian punch. I'm not huge on this one, I can drink it but, if any of the other Steel Reserves are on my list of options, I'm going to pick something else, every single time.

1.74/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

From the 24 fl. oz. can that appears to be stamped 02616 on the bottom. Sampled on July 10, 2016.

It pours red. I expect it is supposed to look that way so I put that grade up a little bit because it probably reflects the style.

But for the rest of it - the aroma is like Hawaiian Punch. The booze is buried.

The body falls into the light to medium range so that says something.

The taste is like the aroma - like drinking Hawaiian Punch with a very muted and distant adjunct corn or rice character. Yet the alcohol does not appear in the aroma or the taste, which could be dangerous because you could drink a bunch of these and get buzzed in no time. If that's what you want - go for it!

3.57/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Steel Brewing Co. "Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Spiked Punch"
24 fl. oz. can

Not unlike the Steel Reserve Blk Berry I recently tried, this is sugary and fruity and strong. In this case, however, the alcohol comes through more clearly, and although I was expecting it to taste like Hawaiian Punch it really did taste more like a "spiked" punch with the sweetish fruit and alcohol both showing. And in that sense I actually liked it more than the Blk Berry - if I'm going to drink something strong I'd prefer to know it's strong. Beyond that, as I've said before, I find it hard to look at it as a beer, and thus I'll just end my review at that and leave it up to you to decide.

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is slightly hazy light red in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a short bright white head that quickly died down, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass. The head eventually completely faded away.
S: Moderate aromas of fruit punch are present in the nose.
T: The taste is a near mirror image to the smell, having artificial flavors of fruit punch and a light amount of associated sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer tastes just like fruit punch but is a little too sweet for my liking. Nonetheless, it is easy to drink and does a good job at masking any traces of alcohol.

Serving type: can

2.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Steel reserve spiked punch.

Broke night beer number two of four. Figured the margarita version wasn't too terrible, and there is virtually no way this can be worse than the swill I just fed to my poor toilet. Let's see what we get. I can taste the headache tomorrow afternoon.

Look - Pours a pinkish red ruby without a touch of any head to be noticed. Carbonation appears to be quite high. Lacing isn't even a factor due to the complete lack of a head. 2.5.

Smell - Smells like a heavily spiked and diluted Hawaiian punch. I'm getting notes of weaken Everclear and generic tropical artificial fruits on the nose. Admittedly the pineapple aspects smell pretty promising. 3.

Taste - You get the big initial dosage of Hawaiian punch esque pineapple but you are quickly reminded that it is in fact a steel reserve product when the cheap generic run of the mill malt liquor grain bill hits. Alcohol is muted for the most part though it does slip through the cracks on some sips but nothing intolerable. 2.25.

Feel - Body is slick and sweet with minimal carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden until the swallow. Feels pretty alright for the style 3.5.

Overall - It's not good, BUT it isn't terrible. Goes down easier as you proceed into the 24oz can as expected due to the high alcohol content. Not as good as ABs Hurricane malt liquor, but it's nearly a Buck fifty cheaper. And when it comes to Malt liquors, every cent tends to count ;). 2.5..

2.55/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Like Hawaiian Punch in color, with a modest pink head, which soon collapses to scattered patches of foam, the lacing is thin, sparse, and fine-beaded. Profuse, quite minute bubbles drift lazily to the surface.

Aromas: Like the appearance, its Hawaiian punch, if the recollections of my childhood are accurate, with a more than decent whiff of alcohol. Its not like its Hawaiian Punch with Everclear (tm), but the alcohol is a definite presence.

Taste: Remember how I said that it looked and smelled like Hawaiian punch? That's what it is, with a hefty does of alcohol. Its not bad, really, just rather sweet in the way that appeals to preteens. Someone told me that this is aimed at the "drank" market; I wouldn't know. Finishes with a lingering tropical fruit sweetness. Needless to say, there is no notable hop or malt presence. The label states "malt beverage with artificial flavors and certified colors". In all fairness, it doesn't seem all that artificial, just rather sweet.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad really, it will be interesting to see how this feels in the morning, but for now, cheap and gets the job done.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Spiked Punch brewed by Steel Brewing Company. This brew has an ABV of 8.0. Spiked Punch pours out of the can a red color with a pink head. The smell sweet like hawaiian punch. This look is also like hawaiian punch. The taste is bitter sweet, with a high ABV with a sweet after taste. There is nothing good to say about this brew. The mouthfeel is bitter sweet nothing great but nothing bad. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5
This is not beer.....