Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export | Steel Brewing Company

steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by GCBrewingCo on 12-05-2005

1.06/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from a 24-oz. can into my Terrapin pint glass, which must now be destroyed.

What the fuck.

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow. Frothy head diminishes within seconds. Bubbles never stop floating up to the top. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'll go with 'no'. But I expected this to look even worse than it does, so....

Smell: You know how beers usually smell better once they've left their original container and entered a glass? Imagine the opposite. Yes, I detect some malt and hops here, but they're stale and pissy. Note to the brewers: don't use the same hops to make a beer that only moments before you sprayed with your little wieners.

Taste: Bitter, high-alpha hops and a refreshing backbone of biscuit-like malts, with an interesting - nah, just kidding, haha. The finest malt and hops were marinaded by and percolated in only the choicest dying man's urine. Seriously, if this were room temperature, that's all you'd think it was. Sour and alcoholic tinkle.

Mouthfeel: Could stand in for Canada Dry if your local Piggly Wiggly happens to run out.

Drinkability: Immediately after I finish this review, I am going to pour the contents of this glass and what's left in the can down the sink. Then I will install a new sink.

I like their boasting on the can, though. That's actually what pushed me to buy this. I agree with them, too. One of the very finest beers in the world.

Heh.

1.16/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

1.25/5  rDev -49.8%

Could possibly drink if there was nothing else.

1.28/5  rDev -48.6%

Woody's doing the CAN-CAN today, CAN anybody tell?

Woof, did I ever get a blast of fusel off of this one! Shazam! Holy Don't Light a Match, Batman! Okay, operators and fire extinguishers are now standing by; I am wrapped in a fire retardant blanket; and the beer is in a glass, shimmering at the top from evaporative fumes. I initially noted two fingers' worth of bone-white head, but in the scramble to keep the house from erupting in a paroxysm of flame, it settled into wisps. The nose was reminiscent of the time that my buddy, Fat Ron Thompson, said in his whiskey and cigarette-seared voice, "Yo, Wood, pass me the keys! I'm gonna go over to the fuel dump and gas up the deuce-and-a-half." Being as I had nothing else going and I had never been to the fuel dump, I rode along. Big mistake! Unless you just like the smell of fossil fuel in all of its wonderous forms, this would not be the place for a casual ride-along. My gorge rose upon smelling this beer. It was fit only for propelling motor vehicles. The color was pretty, though. It looked like a sample from the pump - only a few bubbles, a bright golden yellow ... gasoline! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was less fusel than the nose, but not by a wide margin. I could taste a faint sugariness, but nothing like its counterpart. This was bad news, but from a whole 'nother direction. Finish left me gasping for air. Man, I felt my liver banging on my ribs, my heart was pounding, my hands were shaking ... Out-friggin'-standing! All I needed now was some crack and a whore or maybe just a crack whore to really remind me of what the high life for a low life was all about. Sheesh! Eek, I still have a half-a-CAN left and The CANQuest (TM) Code forbids me from conducting a Drain Pour! Oh, no.

From the CAN: "Slow brewed in limited batches, using only the finest malted barley & selected hops, we believe this to be among the very best beers in the world." Really?!? Do they also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny? How about buying the Brooklyn Bridge from me, cheap? "Slow brewed for exceptionally smooth flavor". Zounds!

1.5/5  rDev -39.8%

1.5/5  rDev -39.8%

1.53/5  rDev -38.6%

Oh man, what was I thinking? I have had regular 211 and it was average for the style but this is borderline undrinkable. The appearance is a fizzy yellow headless hell. The smell is a sweet-sour rotton corn smell. The taste is like rotting corn with a slight bourbon-like finish. The mouthfeel is one of the worst I have ever had. This stuff burns going down like moonshine. I will never drink one of these again. In fact, there is still half a can in my fridge if anyone is interested.

1.55/5  rDev -37.8%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Oh lawddddd Satan in hell what have I gotten myself into with this one. Good ole Steel Reserve high gravity was the legendary peepee monster of the beer world consisting of tastes of fresh morning urine and a smack of sweaty gym socks in the finish. let's see how this incarnation stacks up.

Look - Dark dehydrated yellow with a 4 finger white head that runs away like your father did after you were born. Probably why you're drinking this. The lacing doesn't even stick around to pay child support.

Smell - Disappointment and depression. the corn is that of an Arkansas red neck getting ready to penetrate some fresh bacon on a night after everclear.

Taste - Oh yes. fresh toilet residue and probably what I would imagine unwashed balls to taste like after basking in the sun on a 110 degree Texas day in sweat pants.

Feel - Lawdy lawdy I swear I never jaywalk again. Alright enough of this humor, medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - You get the jist.

1.66/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I got into a car accident on my way home. I needed a drink. I reached into my fridge, hoping to find a friend in these toubled times, and when I withdrew my hand, it was holding steel reserve 211 triple export. Pure ghetto juice, baby.

First of all, what does "triple export" mean, exactly? Is it a reference to how many times they tried, and failed, to deport this unwholesome concoction? I'd buy that.

The can goes on to say "...we believe this to be one of the finest beers in the world." The only thing that I can infer from such a statement is that the steel brewing companies' measure of quality is very closely related to the level of alcohol content in their products.

Ok, let's get on with this....

I felt like like putting lipstick on a pig, so I poured it from the huge 24oz. can into my dimpled stein.

A - Urine, from a dehydration victim. The head was huge, and sudsy, and gone. Sparse film left behind actually reinforced the whole urine image.

S - This is literally the first beverage of any variety that I could smell in the exact instant that the seal of the can was cracked. It was like mini scent seeking missiles shot up my nose in a direct assault on my olfactory bulb. Ouch. I get this vague foreboding of things to come.... Fruity esters, weird, funkdefied, hoppy, malty chaos. It's like an adjective bloodbath.

T - Holy Mother of Christ. I am glad I cut my "malt liquor" teeth on what others esteem as "not horrible." When I describe a beer, I clear my mind, and as I am taking my first sip, I always try to include the first impression or phrase that comes to mind in my review. In honor of that tradition, I am now obligated to use the phrase "snake venom" in my taste section. Apart from that bold factor, there are hot, sweet, rotted fruit gnomes gang banging my taste buds right now. There is nothing remotely subtle about this beer. There are so many flavors, all wrong, that are competing for my attention, I'm almost prompted to go into fight or flight mode.

M - Ouch. Someone shot me in the mouth with an airsoft pistol. Ten thousand times. Oh wait. That's the carbonation.

D - I understand that there are people in the world that can drink these like water. I also understand that there are people who engage in sexual acts with barnyard type animals. I fall into neither of these two personality types, and would discourage anyone from attempting either.

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

If you have a choice @ 2 for $3.00 between this and Icehouse Edge... You're better off going with Icehouse Edge, and that's all I have to say... about that.

1.83/5  rDev -26.5%

24 fl oz. can. Bottom of the can says March 11, 2013 so I might be a couple days late, not that it will matter much. I can say with assurance that I wasn't a fan of the regular Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity, and am not expecting much more from this outing. No one seems to know what Triple Export means, but the label exclaims " we believe this to be among the very best beers in the world". I really only bought this as a joke for a friend and I, and to make change for a $20 bill.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about two fingers of thin bubbly carbonated white head, audibly sizzling away. Clear sparkling adjunctive lager gold color. Even manages to retain the tiniest bit of thin lacing.

S - Smells of chemically treated corn kernels and malts. Carbonated yeasty champagne sort of tingle.

T - Still carbonated. Still bloating. Still tastes like corn, although it has a *different* corn type flavor, if that makes any sense at all. Still retains that thick artificial cherry syrup like sweetness that the regular Stell Reserve 211 High Gravity had, although not as intense and in your face. Definitely more corn / grain presence in this beer, I will give it that.

M - Thin. Watery. Artificial sweetness. Carbonated.

Overall, it's probably safe to say that I won't consider buying either Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity or Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export ever again. In the already over-crowded, retched realm of American malt liquor and American adjunct lagers, these two are among some of the worst I've had so far. However, this beer is not nearly as bad as it's companion brew, but there are still far better choices out there if you're looking for that quick buzz.

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export ---2/5.

1.91/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

1.98/5  rDev -20.5%

Another malt liquor poured into my big Paulaner mug (how funny of me)

A - Golden crystal clear yellow with bright fluffy head that dissipates in an instant.

S - Metallic body odor smell....and...not much else.

T - Very sweet taste upfront with a long drawn out bitter/boozy taste towards the end.

M - Light bodied and not watery. Not bad on the mouthfeel

D - If not for the b.o. smell, this wouldn't be too bad...but it's just pretty overpowering

2.01/5  rDev -19.3%

$1.39 a 24oz can here in Durham NC at Krogers...20 cents off on sale.

shotgunned from said 24oz can and one drank normally.

we only have 6.0% Steel Reserve 211 (silver label) here and its NOTHING like the 8.1% or this.

Triple Export is what youd expect from the silver version...it kicks your ass,its cheap and it tastes pretty foul when it heats up.

nothing really special to report...if you hate high gravity lagers that slap you in the face, dont go here...this is barely better than silver label 8.1%...if Hurricane High Gravity is in your area...id get that instead.

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export from Steel Brewing Company