Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export | Steel Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by GCBrewingCo on 12-05-2005

View: Beers
2.33/5  rDev -6.4%

Stell Reserve 211 Triple Export... a smack in the face 8.1% alcohol. Found this in a gas station in Charlette NC. Figured i'd give it a try. Poured into my German Becker.

A- Pours a light-medium yellow with active head that falls to light froth and maybe a dab of lacing.

S- Mild doses of booze come through sweet corn syrup and metallic grains.

T-M- Wow... thick alcohol coats the tongue and sweet corn flavor dominates. Light grains and metallic notes follow. Water feel but with a alcohol burn.

D- I gets the job done but with nothing to brag about.

2.75/5  rDev +10.4%

1.16/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

2.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Once again, I am subjecting myself and my taste buds to the misery of a malt liquor. I've resolved to try as many of these high gravity slumming beers as I can since my home state of NC lifted the cap to 15% abv. My other mission is to sample every DIPA I can get my hands on, a much tastier decision in my opinion. Now, onto the Steel Reserve. This beer pours a clear golden color with a 1 inch head that fades rather quickly. The bubbles rising to the top of my glass are large indeed, and I know this means that this beer is full of adjuncts. The first whiff confirms this as I can detect aromas of corn and a sweet, funky odor coming from the glass. The taste is of corn, adjuncts and overcarbonated water with a bit of a citrusy, sweet aftertaste. I tasted the alcohol early, but as I finished the 24oz can, I really didn't taste the alcohol anymore. Strange. For 99 cents, I guess this stuff isn't too bad. At least it didn't kill me.

2.58/5  rDev +3.6%

24 ounce can consumed mostly from the can but with about 6 ounces poured into a small draft glass.

A - A hazy straw color with surprisingly persistent foamy head.

S - Cereal grains with absolutely no hint of hops.

T - Adjuncts dominate if no hint of the alcoholic strength when cold however as the beer warms the alcohol moves to the forefront.

M - Pretty typical of an AAL or ML. Decent enough carbonation.

O - Let's realize that this stuff is a cheap and effective way to introduce alcohol into your body. I would highly recommend keeping this stuff as close to freezing as possible. It is actually one of the better entries in this class as there is much worse out there (Evil Eye or Camo come to mind). After spending 6 hours working outside on a 88 degree day this stuff isn't too bad.

3.68/5  rDev +47.8%

Finally got my hands on this one! Don't know why, but I only know one gas station that carries it in my area. I like to check everywhere I encounter to see what minor variations in selection they have, and this just popped up out of nowhere. Wasn't expecting to ever find it.
The smell is sweet and not unlike other malt liquors, but the taste is unlike anything I've ever had in a malt liquor before. I'm surprised the reviews aren't higher because this is clearly an attempt at changing up malt liquor for the beer connoisseur. It tastes STRONGLY of yeast, like it was bottle conditioned. Or, I guess, can conditioned in this case. It takes a lot away from the sweetness and the thinness that is the status quo in malt liquors. As a fan of some malt liquors, I'm not sure if I like this significant departure, but as a fan of quads, I enjoy it. So, I'm torn as to whether it's really OK for it to be somewhere in between. It is so far from what I was expecting. It's like someone tried to make a lager into a quad with really low quality ingredients, but with plenty of know-how nonetheless. Strange, but enjoyable. I think I'm going to have to rate it pretty highly. One problem is that it's not as refreshing as other malt liquors or as quads because it lacks that fruity quality. It's just pure yeast flavour. It retains a bit of that chemical flavour of regular Steel Reserve, but the yeast covers it up pretty well. Weird, wild stuff and definitely quite different from ordinary silver-canned Steel Reserve.

3.05/5  rDev +22.5%

I picked this on the way home looking for a cheap, quick buzz after a long day and figured I would down this and then get a few laughs making fun of it in my review. Not the case, this is actually a decent brew, one that you can't complain about considering the price.

Pours a pale gold with a head that rises high and disappears quickly. Quite bubbly in the glass.

Aroma is mild of hops and some barley not bad but not spectacular.

The taste was surprisingly mild, smooth and dry. If you've ever had the High Gravity, you'll realize that this is much better balanced and not overly sweet in comparison. Nothing complex, but not bad.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy on the carbonation, not too stimulating, but hey it's a dollar for a 24 oz.

Drinkable, smooth enough to have a few if you can tolerate the alcohol. Depends on what you are after here. A college kid's dream if you know what I mean...

Not as bad as you may expect. Tastes like a good American macro beer (if you believe in such a thing.)

2.22/5  rDev -10.8%

Ok I did not pour this down the sink. The brew looks ok really, it's a cheap beer with some color to it, a deeper amber than usual, foaming 1 inch head that goes to nothing. Not much smell. Taste is odd and medicinal. This brew affects the head very quickly and in a way that really cheap wines I've only ever drunk once in my youth did. Other beers may have a higher ABV but this hits too fast.

2.52/5  rDev +1.2%

I'm quite familiar with Steel Reserve (AKA Silver Label) and getting to sample and compare its harder to find brother, Steel Reserve Triple Export (AKA Black Label), is very fun for me. I can only get silver label in my area, but boy can I get it. 40's, 24's, 16's, and 12 packs. Yee-hah!

Straight out of the can. I also picked up a few 40's of this as well. I expect they will taste slightly better. I'm saving them to do a back to back silver/black tasting.

No smell? This is a very cold can; too cold. I'm getting alcohol and grain. There is a sweet smell but it is not up to the level of the Silver Label. There is a high gravity grapeyness that is not at all present in Silver Label. Think Camo but not as strong. That grapeyness is off-putting and reminds me of 10%+ ABV high gravity malts.

Wow. Yep, this is labeled as beer and not rubbing alcohol. Maybe my palate is just off tonight. Nothing but alcohol. My throat, and stomach, are warm now. I'm definitely not a stranger to malts and high grav's, but wow. I guess all that sweetness in the Silver Label is covering up the harshness of the alcohol? This is only an 8.1% ABV high gravity and this much alcohol seems out of place. I can taste the 211 in this. Definitely from the same family. This Black Label is trying to be smoother. The taste is less in your face, except for the alcohol. Less bitey, less sweet. As it warms I'm getting more grain and less alcohol. This is also much drier than the Silver Label. Alcohol, alcohol, a little sweetness, grain, and done.

Low on carbonation. Too low. Silver Label has always been foamy but the carbonation starts off higher. This seems less of both. More carbonation would help.

I'd probably just step up to Night Train of Cisco given the opportunity. Not given the opportunity, SILVER LABEL IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE!

Bottom line: mix 12 ounces of Camo Silver and 12 ounces of 211 Silver Label and you get this.

I am disappointed. I look forward to trying this again as I think something is off in this review. It may be me. I've had this once before I remember being impressed?

4.35/5  rDev +74.7%

I'm surprised to see the [lowly] consensus opinion about this beer. This was the first time I had ever seen it on sale and I tried a 24 ouncer. After comparing labels with the silver canned swill, I was left wondering what the difference would be. I drank mine straight from the can, so my appearance rating is based on the beautiful art work on the can...
I think this tastes smoother than the silver 211. Like comparing a filtered cigarette to a Lucky Strike. When I'm in the mood for a cheap malt liquor, this one will be at the top of my list.

3.93/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a pale amber
Smell is aggressively turdly,alcohol and adjunct malt abound
There's actually flavor here, some dark malt amongst the sea of corn, blends with the alcohol nicely

1.66/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I got into a car accident on my way home. I needed a drink. I reached into my fridge, hoping to find a friend in these toubled times, and when I withdrew my hand, it was holding steel reserve 211 triple export. Pure ghetto juice, baby.

First of all, what does "triple export" mean, exactly? Is it a reference to how many times they tried, and failed, to deport this unwholesome concoction? I'd buy that.

The can goes on to say "...we believe this to be one of the finest beers in the world." The only thing that I can infer from such a statement is that the steel brewing companies' measure of quality is very closely related to the level of alcohol content in their products.

Ok, let's get on with this....

I felt like like putting lipstick on a pig, so I poured it from the huge 24oz. can into my dimpled stein.

A - Urine, from a dehydration victim. The head was huge, and sudsy, and gone. Sparse film left behind actually reinforced the whole urine image.

S - This is literally the first beverage of any variety that I could smell in the exact instant that the seal of the can was cracked. It was like mini scent seeking missiles shot up my nose in a direct assault on my olfactory bulb. Ouch. I get this vague foreboding of things to come.... Fruity esters, weird, funkdefied, hoppy, malty chaos. It's like an adjective bloodbath.

T - Holy Mother of Christ. I am glad I cut my "malt liquor" teeth on what others esteem as "not horrible." When I describe a beer, I clear my mind, and as I am taking my first sip, I always try to include the first impression or phrase that comes to mind in my review. In honor of that tradition, I am now obligated to use the phrase "snake venom" in my taste section. Apart from that bold factor, there are hot, sweet, rotted fruit gnomes gang banging my taste buds right now. There is nothing remotely subtle about this beer. There are so many flavors, all wrong, that are competing for my attention, I'm almost prompted to go into fight or flight mode.

M - Ouch. Someone shot me in the mouth with an airsoft pistol. Ten thousand times. Oh wait. That's the carbonation.

D - I understand that there are people in the world that can drink these like water. I also understand that there are people who engage in sexual acts with barnyard type animals. I fall into neither of these two personality types, and would discourage anyone from attempting either.

2.84/5  rDev +14.1%

Got one of these for .99 on my way home, also picked up a silver (regular) still reserve which i intend to review next.

Decent head, 1 finger, faded at a medium pace, even some lacing.

Aroma is cooked sweet corn, malts, maybe the slightest hint of hops.

Flavor is corny and too sweet, mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but overall this is better than i expected. It goes down pretty smoth, and for a 99 cent "get ya drunk" beer, it's better than most i've tried in this category.

1.5/5  rDev -39.8%

2.48/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from the 24 oz. can into my straight sided tumbler. White head quickly dissapates into no head. Dark yellow color is correct for malt liquour. Smell is not good, corn and no hop aroma present. Taste is below par and lacking in balance. Very little in the way of mouthfeel other than it sort of feels like beer in the mouth. All of my other reviews have been much easier, this one has the distinction of being very average. This beer is the one you pick up after the wife has been bitching about how much money you spend on alcohol...

Just a thought,

barleyman

1.06/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from a 24-oz. can into my Terrapin pint glass, which must now be destroyed.

What the fuck.

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow. Frothy head diminishes within seconds. Bubbles never stop floating up to the top. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'll go with 'no'. But I expected this to look even worse than it does, so....

Smell: You know how beers usually smell better once they've left their original container and entered a glass? Imagine the opposite. Yes, I detect some malt and hops here, but they're stale and pissy. Note to the brewers: don't use the same hops to make a beer that only moments before you sprayed with your little wieners.

Taste: Bitter, high-alpha hops and a refreshing backbone of biscuit-like malts, with an interesting - nah, just kidding, haha. The finest malt and hops were marinaded by and percolated in only the choicest dying man's urine. Seriously, if this were room temperature, that's all you'd think it was. Sour and alcoholic tinkle.

Mouthfeel: Could stand in for Canada Dry if your local Piggly Wiggly happens to run out.

Drinkability: Immediately after I finish this review, I am going to pour the contents of this glass and what's left in the can down the sink. Then I will install a new sink.

I like their boasting on the can, though. That's actually what pushed me to buy this. I agree with them, too. One of the very finest beers in the world.

Heh.

1.98/5  rDev -20.5%

Another malt liquor poured into my big Paulaner mug (how funny of me)

A - Golden crystal clear yellow with bright fluffy head that dissipates in an instant.

S - Metallic body odor smell....and...not much else.

T - Very sweet taste upfront with a long drawn out bitter/boozy taste towards the end.

M - Light bodied and not watery. Not bad on the mouthfeel

D - If not for the b.o. smell, this wouldn't be too bad...but it's just pretty overpowering

2.63/5  rDev +5.6%

before you think i'm crazy about my rating of this beer, hear me out:

The appearance of this beer is typical: light and golden, hay-ish with a touch of watermelon juice. it looks like a full bodied LIGHT beer.

The smell is a bit atrocious--out of the can it smells of sour gin and prune juice. out of a glass it smells like lemon dish detergent. (hint for those who don't catch on so quickly--it has no nose when poured in glass).

Taste. Interesting point. It actually has a sweet candy-ish note with a complexity of foul malt and soured corn. almost smutty, if i could define a taste to smut. But there is a touch of sweet cream on the finish, before the harsh alcohol bite. I also found some reviving qualities in the sip of this one, there is a funny warmth that is completely welcome on my palate (even given the fact that this is a cheap, quick-drunk beer) -- which allows for some redemption in quality. But that's about it.

Mouthfeel. Abundant. Qualifying. Satiating, yet considering the aforementioned, disturbing. it's like Motley Crue just did a show and squeezed the sweat from their undies into a beer. Greasy alcohol, basically.

The drinkability of this beer is quite simple: drinkability hardly exists with this beer. this is the beer a homeless guy drinks just to quicken the downward spiral. if you are one that champions this beer, give up, cut your wrist, and let your loved ones know you're a failure at spelling failure. Think about it.

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

If you have a choice @ 2 for $3.00 between this and Icehouse Edge... You're better off going with Icehouse Edge, and that's all I have to say... about that.

3.5/5  rDev +40.6%

very good cheap beer go try it

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export from Steel Brewing Company