Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.35/5
Poor
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 615 | Ratings: 1,318

This is my go-to beer... been drinking it for more than a decade, and it beats everything else, hands-down. I drink it straight out of the can (16oz tallboys), so I'm not particularly interested in appearance. I like the taste and mouth-feel, but I enjoy it best when I crack open an ice-cold can, take a shlook, and then top it off with Everclear (FL only allows the 151-proof, and no Golden Grain). Goes down easily, pairs nicely with pretzels, pizza, or pho, and works especially well with a bowl of cholent on Shabbos.

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a can ,looks like beer and mostly smells like beer. Tastes of corn ,bandaids and gasoline. Poured most of it into pie tins for slug and snail bait in the backyard -works great for that.

2.33/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One day, I got so sick after drinking this with Spam, canned meat. Don't know which one caused but I won't drink this beer again. Looks just like beer, tastes a lot like high alcohol shit so it covers the whole malt, or hop scent. Anyway, great to test though as there are many many crazy beer out there.

2.33/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Drink it from the can. Don't look at it. Just enjoy the taste of corn and malt and gasoline on your tongue. Do not let it linger in your mouth, it will burn and strip the top layer of skin off. Whatever. It's a cheap way of getting drunk and is a step up from 5 o'clock or Mohawk

1.12/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I really try not to be super judgy when it comes to beer. We all have different taste buds, so I don't knock what someone likes. You like Bud? Not my cup of tea but go for it. However, I have to really judge this beer. It is horrendous. And I'm saying this as someone who actually enjoys the malt liquor category. This beer is super alcoholy in taste. It tastes like straight liquor. It smells like liquor. If you're blindly smelling this, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and Hennessey. And if I want to get drunk faster, I'd opt for the liquor over this. Besides the strong alcohol taste, there's nothing else to the flavor. None of the typical tastes and smells that come in the malt liquor category. Just straight alcohol. In closing, if you like it, I love it. However, it ain't for me. Good luck and god's speed

2.67/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Playing golf last week the guy I was with offered me one of these. It was not bad, tasted kinda sweet, nothing special or horrendous. Was refreshing on an 80+ day and your outside. Would rate it just a bit below the average of 3.

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Look: To its credit, it looks like beer should. Perfectly clear dark gold with three fingers of foamy white head that quickly dissipates. Huge amount of visible carbonation.

Smell: Strong, sweet corn malt scent with a bit of bubble gum. There's a sort of staleness that starts coming out as it warms, like sticky beer left on the floor of a bar.

Taste: Mild corn malt and that's about it. Sweet, but not cloying. Utterly lacking in character but otherwise inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full mouthfeel with some noticeable carbonation.

Overall: I have to be totally honest whenever I review a beer, even if it means going against my preconceived notions about it. Despite its reputation, Steel Reserve isn't actually that bad! It's got no complexity, but for the most part it's inoffensive and could even be termed "pleasant" to drink.

2.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Got a 6 pack of 16 oz’ers for a tad under $5 at Walmart , I’ve had the sugary flavored steel reserves back in my alcoholic days so I wasn’t sure what to expect . smells like malt , tastes like beer ! Not a craft beer by no means but for 8.1% at .80 cents per 16oz you can’t beat it . Good beer for the weekend when your goal isn’t taste , or even yard work. I approve

1.14/5  rDev -51.5%

This stuff is gnarly. Tastes like they tried to cover up the alcohol taste with sugar. It's like they soaked corn pops cereal in the beer before they canned it. I bought a 4 pack of pints, took one sip and threw them away.

This is the worst beer ive ever had if i could score it lower i could. it taste like alcohol with very little malts and corn. I dont care if it has high abv it taste like ass.

2.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like decent beer in a way, yet there's also a hint of something like mothballs. Not so bad it overrides the joy of high ABV though, and it beats Hurricane.

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

They say "twice the ingredients"... Seems to taste rather adjunct syrupy, corny.
Not much hops flavor or bite.
Fair alcohol presence, sweet ending. At 8.1 it does the job.
Nothing too offensive, but nothing much to recommend.

3.11/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

Gold, translucent color. Soapy head. Smells mostly of malt. Taste is not bad. Carbonation is high and taste is smooth and malty. Moderately strong alcohol backbone. All in all a solid high gravity lager.

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: A bright, translucent lager. Fluffy, one finger, off white head upon pouring. That eventually disappears, leaving streaks of foam along the glass. A constant stream of bubbles flows from the bottom of my glass.

Aroma: Sweet, cooked grain aroma. Cooked sweet potato. That’s what it smells like to me. I thought there’d be more alcohol on the nose, but there’s not.

Taste: This beer tastes exactly the way it smells. A sweet beer. Grainy. Way overly ripened, perhaps browning/rotting apricot. Not trying to be critical. There’s a sweet, gone-bad, stone fruity aroma. As with the nose, less alcohol than I expected.

Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated. Pretty smooth. Semi sweet on the palate.

Overall: This beer is much more drinkable than I expected. I’ve never had any of these high gravity malt liquors before and I had negative expectations. I could drink this. I’m not sure I would, but I could

3.47/5  rDev +47.7%

So I bought this at the gas station for a buck abd a quarter this I drank straight from the brown bag I was given it in. This has some pros and some cons. Its really sweet and you have to chug it out of the beer cave. If it gets warm its going to make you puke. Other theb that the pros are after 3 of them at least for me I'm buzzed. Good cold beer on a hot summer day not a doubt about it. It has a brass color and is very heavy for the mouth feel. It'll get you drunk and make you have night's you can't remember. Its good and doesnt have a bad buzz.

2.42/5  rDev +3%

As a beer this is a 3 at best. For the price and what it is (malted gas station beer), it's a 5. But only if you drink it right. It has to be very cold. Stick it in the freezer for a while or pour it on the rocks. Either way, you need to pour it. Also add a lime. The smell is pretty rank, but if you can block that smell with a lime, you'll find the flavor is actually good. It lacks hoppiness, but the rest of the flavor is really far more complex than you would expect from something you get for a couple bucks at a 7-11.

2.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:33 PM
24 Once can poured to glass
Sight: Amber liquid, big white foam
Aroma: scent smell of grains
Taste: sweet, some bitterness
Mouth feel: very carbonated
Overall: good beer, repeat: yes look for: no

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

Got this from a discounted beer sale at a convenience store. This isn't good at all. I like the flavored ones so this is just for the 211. Very strong and not really that expensive.

2.34/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear amber with some fluffy head.

Smell is sweet and malty with notes of corn and tin.

Taste is sweet, boozy and malty. Some corn again and a not too pleasant metallic tinge. Tastes like Miller with a shot of vodka.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium with prickly carbonation.

Overall, style tick. This is not very enjoyable.

It's a hot June day. The barbecue is cooking away. There's a bag of chips on the table, and a laptop for impromptu Wikipedia searches. The birds in the trees chirp happily while the sounds of children playing down the block drifts through the air. Two pretty girls walk by and wave as Rapp and Union sip their Millers. Where's Drak? Under the table, drunk as a lord from this terrible stuff. Gimme one more! I can handle it! ca. 2008

4.53/5  rDev +92.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Deep Gold, Thick White Head, and Bubbly.
Aroma- Very Sweet, Malty, Very Corny, Very Bready, and Little Hoppiness.
Taste- Bold, Very Sweet, Very Corny, Very White Breadiness, and Very Little Hoppiness. Smooth Alcohol Burn and Undertaste.
Mouthfeel- Medium-Heavy and a Medium-Heavy Body.
Overall Conclusion. A great HGML from SAB-Miller. However, it is unbalanced. Needs more hops to balance the rest of the flavor out. Would recommend.

One of the most complex out of all the malt liquors. Please note this is the 6% abv version im drinking.
The look is fair, good cap with Lace down the glass. Staw apperience. The can design is a timeless layout. Aroma is very interesting. In the nose i get white bread and some yeast notes. There is a light sour hint in the smell. As far as taste, steel reserve is unique. I taste the slightest golden delicious apple and white grape skins and a small hint of olives. Then you get sweet malt character that lasts through out the sip. I can also taste a white chocolate note but its very faint. The middle becomes that classic Miller sourness and leads into a semi dry finish. The hops seem to be more for balance as I can't really get any spice from them, just the dry bitterness. The feel is medium to light/ medium with a good amount of creamy texture. I find that to be a very satisfying quality. Very drinkable and very smooth. I enjoyed this beer to an extent but would say I've had better. I recommend you give it a try.

A great hair of the dog beer; trust me ... one 42oz bottle of this is like drinking a six pack of Bud Light. LOL ... trust me. If that's your mission? Hair o' the dog? Then this shit will work. I personally think it's pretty rank to drink but, oddly? If I drink it on ice? With a RTIC cup? Man ... I could drink it all day and never even knew I drank anything. Unorthodox as it may seem? I highly recommend drinking this on the rocks. Makes it so much more drinkable ....

2.34/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

high gravity lager equals alcoholic water. Unfourtanetly this is a grocery alcohol which needs to redo its flavor. They pump it full of alcohol to the point that it feels spiked and not natural like ipa.

4.2/5  rDev +78.7%

This is a good drink to get fucked on! Drink some ipa’s after a 24 oz 211 makes me and it will make you feel right. It’s good to prep you up for an afternoon delight on a Friday, such as today!

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company