Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Notes: Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.
View: Beers
Reviews: 632 | Ratings: 1,345 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
fluxcore from Illinois

4.46/5  rDev +89%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah the 2-1-1. This beer hold a special place in my liver. It’s my go-to, had-a-killer-day-at-work brew. Looks golden with a humble stream of bubbles. It smells slight sweet with some grains and has a mouthfeel if alcohol-soaked bread. Overall, drink it in a ice cold mug with good friends and you’ll be in for a great weekends. Cheers!

May 30, 2020
DarrellFine from Florida

2.78/5  rDev +17.8%

This brew is a classic, cheap, get you slammed hood beer. Taste is sweet, boozy, and best consumed ice cold. Let it get warm and it's likely to set off even your ex girlfriends gag reflex. But poured into a frosty mug, not bad. Been my go to lately. Mainly because funds are low. Smell is, of course, stale canned corn bread. Lots of lacing when it's poured cold, nice head and carbonation. Overall, not bad and not good. But at 8.1% abv its gets the job done. I have fond memories of steel reserve. Came out when i was in high school and have had a sort of bond to this mass produced hangover maker ever since. And it WILL give you a hangover. HIGH GRAVITY means HIGH SUGAR. Keep the bottled water and alka seltzer close, my friends. Cheers.

May 23, 2020
Kenny_Gage2 from Missouri

3.4/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased a 24oz can for $1.62 tax included. It poured a goldish/amber color with a slightly foamy 1 finger head and a good amount of carbonation. It has a rather sweet, corn/malt like flavor but isn't overwhelmingly sweet. Honestly for the price and the ABV this isn't a bad beer. I'm no beer expert and I love a good craft beer, but this might be a new cheap favorite that yeilds quite a buzz.

May 20, 2020
AutoRowester from California

4.19/5  rDev +77.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer is the shit. Dirt cheap, awesome buzz. Taste is a little shocking at first, but goes away quickly. More people should like malt liquor. Do yourself a favor and get a 24 of Steel Reserve today.

May 02, 2020
TerryW from Canada

1.36/5  rDev -42.4%

Just a nasty bit of malt liquor. Unpleasant on just about every level. Harsh nose, terrible taste. Adjuncty, chemical, harsh. Give it a wide berth - that's all it deserves. Drain pour. This is the 8.1% ABV version.

Feb 29, 2020
Cholla from New Jersey

Plenty of bang for your buck. Sweet taste to it. The high abv will creep up on you. Through a couple of these back and enjoy the rest of your evening. Very refreshing. Cheers.

Jan 31, 2020
Scott_G_Fisher

3.8/5  rDev +61%

Steel Reserve is a decent, but cheap, high gravity lager. I have read many reviews and one cannot expect high quality for low price. The lager is sweet because sucrose is added to boost ABV. I prefer higher quality ale, lager, and stouts, but this is a decent budget beer.

Jan 16, 2020
ScaryEd from New Hampshire

2.63/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I poured one of these Tall Boys into a Super Gulp cup because I'm a man of taste.

Looks good, actually. Dark gold, amber with a huge white head.

Smells very grainy and sweet.

The flavor isn't awful, truly. It just does such an awful job hiding the alcohol. It tastes like sweet nail polish remover. Very hard to chug this one.

The feel is decent but syrupy and boozy as hell.

Overall, this is far from the worst malt liquor I've had. And for the price it's hard to find a better way to get a buzz. That said, it's just too boozy and a little too sweet.

Dec 29, 2019
Skinnyhamster

4.78/5  rDev +102.5%

I'm no fancy beer reviewer. I do not taste the slight differences in beers and know how to describe them as many do here. What I am is a 120 lb E-4 in the military who is most of the way through a 42 Oz bottle of this stuff. Usually a 40 of something around 5 percent gets me in the right place. Only after getting halfway through the bottle did I discover the reason for it being plastic compared to the glass I am used to drinking out of. 8.1% for 2.56 at an expensive convenience store. This definitely goes down easy and lasts longer than many of the other 40s I've tried and it goes down real easy and works real well. If you're trying to escape your problems through alcohol and not frying to spend a whole lot of money this is definitely a drink for you

Nov 20, 2019
jzeilinger from Pennsylvania

3.1/5  rDev +31.4%

A - Bright medium gold, light carbonation, and a bright gold

S - Mineral and grain on the nose with honey.

T - Graham cracker and honey malt from start to finish, some mineral, and light citrus. Lingering honey mineral and light citrus.

M - Thick and velvety with light prickles on the tongue.

O - This beer isn't a recommended buy IMO, but definitely far better than the current score of (57). Pretty much a craft version of Colt 45 - for a $1.69/can for an 8.1% it's a can of get drunk and wreck @#$%. The ABV is completely well hidden in this beer.

Nov 18, 2019
mpyle from Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +54.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My friend Ian pawned off a 16 oz can of this for me.

Very pale golden color, brilliantly clear. Pours a modest white head, creamy and with some decent retention for a strong beer.

Sampling this fairly cold, but not getting much from the nose. A bit of a grainy malt.

A bit sweet, and not overly complex, but pretty damn clean. Doesn't really dry out in the finish. Getting a hint of alcohol in the finish, but not bad. Guessing might be worse if drunk warmer.

Medium body and carbonation. Minimal alcohol warming.

A high alcohol bland macro lager, which isn't easy to achieve. Reminds me a bit of Natty Daddy in terms of a clean high alcohol beer of this type. Probably wouldn't seek it out again, but a good choice for cheap alcoholics.

Oct 26, 2019
JohnnyHopps from Indiana

2.51/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - The color was yellow with visible carbonation in a white head.

Smell - The nose just reminded me of going to a dive bar. Adjunct grains and a lifetime of failure were in the nose.

Taste - Bubbly, dry grains composed the taste. It was not as offensive as I thought it would be. This would be a great beer with a hotdog or lamenting your job.

Mouthfeel - The beer was very carbonated. Clearly, carbonation was a priority for the brewer.

Overall - I did not hate this beer, which means I may not hate my life.

Oct 22, 2019
a2001potodyssey

1.85/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This is a pretty good thing to drink to get a buzz. You can get a 40oz for a little over 2 dollars where I live and if you drink it within in a half hour you will be feeling decent. Make sure it's ice cold and just start going at it. This is strictly a get drunk beer.

Oct 20, 2019
UristMcBrewer from Florida

1.57/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is a beer not particularly known for its quality. I do not disagree with that general presumption. The color is pale orangery-straw. The head is gone quickly after pouring. The nose and taste are full of off-flvors. There is some maltiness though. The alcohol is noticeable and there is aftertaste that unpleasantly lingers. The mouthfeel isn't very interesting; this is a very carbonated beer. Nor is the beer particularity thick. It could be worse though. Overall this very is not a good beer. But it is cheap and alcoholic, which is the main selling point.

Oct 14, 2019
dimwit_flathead from California

3.49/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

$2.09 for a tallboy at AM/PM. This stuff tastes really good for cheap, high ABV beer! This beats anything by Jim Koch's "Boston" Beer-- everything tastes artificial, like it came out of a factory rather than a brewery. You can taste the alcohol in Steel Reserve, but it's not undrinkable, especially when it's a tallboy just out of the fridge! Me like!

Sep 28, 2019
johnvalo from Minnesota

3.94/5  rDev +66.9%

I always assumed that high alcohol beers tasted like malt liquor, which I tried decades ago and did not like. This (8.1% 16 oz six pack) is the first high alcohol beer I tried recently.

Surprise! It actually tastes good - very malty, no hint of hops. I thought it would be dark, but it looks like regular beer. I have read the reviews, mostly negative, and agree that this is not a complex beer. But it tastes better than "American style" beers and is inexpensive - $5.99 for a six-pack. That said, I am looking forward to trying other brands, including Schlitz High Gravity 8.5%, Four Loko Black (14%), and others.

Jul 29, 2019
Joe_Zillgitt from Minnesota

4.65/5  rDev +97%

I know a lot of people knock this beer but I feel this beer is a lot like wine. It wasnt the best when I first had it but over time this beer has become hands down my favorite beer. It is 8.1% abv for starters which means you dont need many to go over the edge, it's not expensive, so you can get a nice intoxicated feel for next to nothing. Beyond the effects I really do love the way this beer tastes and goes down. Like the perfect woman.

Jul 27, 2019
JBHoren from Florida

This is my go-to beer... been drinking it for more than a decade, and it beats everything else, hands-down. I drink it straight out of the can (16oz tallboys), so I'm not particularly interested in appearance. I like the taste and mouth-feel, but I enjoy it best when I crack open an ice-cold can, take a shlook, and then top it off with Everclear (FL only allows the 151-proof, and no Golden Grain). Goes down easily, pairs nicely with pretzels, pizza, or pho, and works especially well with a bowl of cholent on Shabbos.

Jul 14, 2019
sjrider from California

2.14/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a can ,looks like beer and kind of smells like beer. Tastes of corn ,bandaids and gasoline. Poured most of it into pie tins for slug and snail bait in the backyard -works great for that.

Jul 07, 2019
Byoung_Ju_Kim from New York

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One day, I got so sick after drinking this with Spam, canned meat. Don't know which one caused but I won't drink this beer again. Looks just like beer, tastes a lot like high alcohol shit so it covers the whole malt, or hop scent. Anyway, great to test though as there are many many crazy beer out there.

May 24, 2019
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Drink it from the can. Don't look at it. Just enjoy the taste of corn and malt and gasoline on your tongue. Do not let it linger in your mouth, it will burn and strip the top layer of skin off. Whatever. It's a cheap way of getting drunk and is a step up from 5 o'clock or Mohawk

May 23, 2019
OllieStalz from New York

1.12/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I really try not to be super judgy when it comes to beer. We all have different taste buds, so I don't knock what someone likes. You like Bud? Not my cup of tea but go for it. However, I have to really judge this beer. It is horrendous. And I'm saying this as someone who actually enjoys the malt liquor category. This beer is super alcoholy in taste. It tastes like straight liquor. It smells like liquor. If you're blindly smelling this, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and Hennessey. And if I want to get drunk faster, I'd opt for the liquor over this. Besides the strong alcohol taste, there's nothing else to the flavor. None of the typical tastes and smells that come in the malt liquor category. Just straight alcohol. In closing, if you like it, I love it. However, it ain't for me. Good luck and god's speed

May 21, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.67/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Playing golf last week the guy I was with offered me one of these. It was not bad, tasted kinda sweet, nothing special or horrendous. Was refreshing on an 80+ day and your outside. Would rate it just a bit below the average of 3.

May 02, 2019
chitoryu12 from Florida

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Look: To its credit, it looks like beer should. Perfectly clear dark gold with three fingers of foamy white head that quickly dissipates. Huge amount of visible carbonation.

Smell: Strong, sweet corn malt scent with a bit of bubble gum. There's a sort of staleness that starts coming out as it warms, like sticky beer left on the floor of a bar.

Taste: Mild corn malt and that's about it. Sweet, but not cloying. Utterly lacking in character but otherwise inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full mouthfeel with some noticeable carbonation.

Overall: I have to be totally honest whenever I review a beer, even if it means going against my preconceived notions about it. Despite its reputation, Steel Reserve isn't actually that bad! It's got no complexity, but for the most part it's inoffensive and could even be termed "pleasant" to drink. I've certainly had much worse drinks with much better reputations!

Apr 27, 2019
Jamesstoops from Ohio

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Got a 6 pack of 16 oz’ers for a tad under $5 at Walmart , I’ve had the sugary flavored steel reserves back in my alcoholic days so I wasn’t sure what to expect . smells like malt , tastes like beer ! Not a craft beer by no means but for 8.1% at .80 cents per 16oz you can’t beat it . Good beer for the weekend when your goal isn’t taste , or even yard work. I approve

Apr 16, 2019