Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,211 |  Reviews: 563
3.88/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scores are in comparison to other beers in the same category.

Looks yellow with a tinge of orange. Clear. White head. Good lacing and head retention.
Smells like a super up bud.
Tastes sweet, malty, corny. A little astringent, like something soured, like bad yogurt.
Feels as light as a beer like this can.
Overall, I like it for what it is. It tastes better and gets me drunker faster than other American Malt Liquor.

I'd like to set this side by side with hurricane and do a true taste test.

1.03/5  rDev -58.3%

From a 24oz can poured into a Stella Artois branded tulip glass.

Look: A deep caramel coloured body. Not a good sign for a self-proclaimed "high gravity lager" as it says on the can, unless if it's supposed to be a dark lager, which none of the rest shown below represents what a lager should be, let alone American Adjunct Lager.

Smell: Overtly sweet and obvious alcohol. No sign of the claimed "hops" as described on the can.

Taste: Sweet and absolutely syrupy, with a hint of some malts. The worst I've ever had. I also highly dislike syrupy flavours or feels in beer, so this went way down on my list of AALs I've ever tried.

Feel: Syrup and slight alcohol come into mind, but the aftertaste may or may not have been bitter. If I felt anything else after drinking half this glass (or way earlier on), it was that funny feeling in my stomach that I should have never had this beer in the first place.

Overall: The worst beer I've ever had in my life. I cannot fathom on how or why I bothered to choose this as a contender to see if this would even be any relevant in competing against AALs. Having a syrupy profile and then feeling a little nauseous in the stomach proves that I just cannot simply have this beer, anymore. If anything, it makes me wish this never even existed. I had to eat some bread with spreads such as hummus and (separately) peanut butter and Nutella with milk to wash it all down. I'd rather see 8% on a stout than what is supposed to be a "lager" when everyone else calls it a "malt liquor", which to be honest has very negative connotations for being (in the U.S.) a "poor man's booze", which has the stereotype known to be in the ghettos. I could not fathom myself trying to appreciate this beer, so I would honestly stay away from it.

Also, I dumped the rest out from the can and the glass, itself, further proving that this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, out of all the other AALs I've tried, so far.

3.31/5  rDev +34%

As strong beers go this isn't half bad. Once you get past 7% things normally get very ugly very quickly, but this brew maintains composure and refuses to screw your face up. At this price point you can't go wrong. Good clean taste, reminiscent of a 5.0% no after tastes of old laundry baskets, again, at this price point a clear winner.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

4.53/5  rDev +83.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1.25/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Backlog. 16 oz can. This is the worst malt liquor I’ve yet rated. Olde English and Mickey’s Ice were by no means masterpieces, but this is worse than those even. Not enough carbonation. Has a sickly sweet taste. Pours no head. Bad, bad beer. I can feel a headache coming already. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah, to rate more beer! Even if it sucks.

3.17/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light gold color with white cap and lacing.

A somewhat light aroma of cooked grain. It's a relatively clean scent but not malty. A slight floral tone in the background which may be hops.

Taste is a good deal better than the aroma with a maltlike body that finishes slightly sweet.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

As high gravity malt liquors go this one isn't bad. More flavor than most AALs I'm aware of and it maintains a clean character throughout. In fact I don't find any off notes for this surprisingly cheap commercial product.

Look: Clear yellow straw color with a quarter finger white head that fizzles away instantly and doesn't leave lacing.

Aroma: Smells like pure grain alcohol masked by apple juice and sugar.

Taste: Like cheap tequila. Off putting fusel notes all over the place. The taste is incredibly hot and boozy with a sickeningly sweet green apple flavor.

Feel: Over carbonated and watery. Again, overtly alcoholic, there is a burning sensation imparted to the beer by the ABV as you drink it.

Overall: One of the worst malt liquors on the market. I guess if you're just looking to get drunk for cheap this would suffice, but I can't believe people drink this crap, even at $1.99 a can. Honestly if you're that much of an absolute fiend and getting completely trashed is your only goal you'd probably just be better off buying a half pint of vodka, gin or tequila from a liquor store. If I could give this a zero I would.
Rating: [F] Bilious. 1/5.

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cheap drinkin juice but its not terrible.. No off flavors..

Mostly corny flavor but it does actually have a hint of hops ..

Probably wouldnt buy again but I will try anything , cheap or craft .

3.14/5  rDev +27.1%

4.93/5  rDev +99.6%

Looks like beer, nothing fancy. Has a nice high ABV, always welcomed. Since I love a good malty beer and am not a big fan of hoppy brews, this fits well for my tastes. SR is very sweet, with a good amount of body. I don't notice the alcohol taste as much, maybe 'cause of the sweetness.
For myself, its great with salty food or by itself if I wanna feel relaxed real fast ;)

2.59/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.76/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not horrible cuz of the alc % but tastes bad. Pretty foul. Camo silver ice is better for a cheap buzz.

4.1/5  rDev +66%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Based on the type of alcohol this is, this is a good malt liquor. cheap and doesnt taste like dirt. worth trying if you like malt liquor/want a cheap buzz

3.58/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Look - Poured into a frosted mug, a fingers worth of rocky white head that quickly dissolves. Clear golden in color.

Smell - Fairly tame. Some grain, mainly corn and a little bit of white bread.

Taste - Corn, cereal grains, sweet white bread, a bit of sweet ethanol on the finish.

Feel - Quite thick and oily. You want this ice cold. A bit more carbonation would help out a ton.

Overall - Very good for a malt liquor. Could use more carbonation but other than that it does the trick.

3.39/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Just to start out - I picked up this beer at recommendation of my tow truck driver (van broke down - long story) aaaanyway, so that is why I am writing a review for - lack of a better term - hobo beer, or excuse me "high gravity" beer. :) That'a bit more PC. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the taste of this beer. First off it is very smooth and goes down very easily - no alcohol heat to speak of, it pretty much tasted like all other American lagers. Pours a light straw color, minimal head, decent carbonation. Very little hops detected, lots of malty fizziness. Not a bad tasting lager - I'd drink this any day over the usual suspects (Bud, Miller, etc). The only problem (or some might say it's an asset) with this beer is it has an 8% abv, so not a summer - refreshing lawn mowing beer - unless you don't mind passing out on your lawn mower as you mow down your next door neighbors hedge - alas - I digress. Either way, dare I say try this one if you don't mind buying hobo brew at your local corner store.

4.76/5  rDev +92.7%

This shit is good everybody giving bad reviews are crazy. It's cheap it's good its strong I LOVE THIS BEER

2.49/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Look. This is not some crazy delicious juice like some people will try and tell you. It's a 4 pack of 16 oz tall boys for $3.29, sometimes less on deals. It costs about what a high life 4 pack of tall boys would, but it's 8.1% ABV, which means 4 tall boys is the same as 10.36 5% and beers. So damn near a 12 pack worth of alcohol (more than 12 if it's a 12 pack of lights), for less hanb1/3 the price of a 12 pack of buds. After the first 1-2 in 5-10 minutes, you don't give a shit about how it tastes. You stop tasting the alcohol undertones, and that's when this brew of barley malt and a hint of hop gets dangerous, because it becomes super drinkable.
Look: 1 16oz tall boy poured into a 28oz mug, topped it off after I watched the head. It pours a medium straw color, 1" of head which immediately dissipates, no lacing from start of pour to finish of drink. Less head than a domestic AAL, and those show a bit of lacing on this glass.
Smell: alcohol, a ton of malt, and a tiny hint of hop. Standard malt liquor.
Taste: first 2-3 drinks, alcohol and malt mixed together, but after the alcohol taste wears off is when you can actually taste this "beer." It is somewhat complex for its price point (less than the price of 4 Budweiser tall boys). First, a hint of alcohol, followed by a very sweet barely maltiness, there is a hint of hop toward the middle but it is negligible. It finishes sweet and a tiny sour, a bit of alcohol bite lingers but not bad, it is ignorable.
Feel: bubbly. Medium body, feels loghter due to the massive amount of carbonation.
Overall: f you're trying to get twisted, Or feeling good, grab you 6-8 of these and kill them in an hour-1 and a half hours. That's what I do when I wanna get drunk quick but still be able to control it with ease and don't have money for liquor/a case of beer. It's really not that bad, it's a decent substitute for that end of your pay period drink. Id give it a 2.75, but that's after 2-3 of these. I'm rating this sober, so it's a notch under budweiser-type brews because those for me are easier to drink and I don't get the alcohol taste.

2.16/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1.06/5  rDev -57.1%

2.53/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.89/5  rDev +17%

3.1/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company