Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.38/5
Poor
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,231 |  Reviews: 569

The price is the only selling point other than the alcohol content. The only reason to ever buy this again is if there is no other beer in my price range in the cooler.

2.05/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I agree with the person that described this beer as "barely tolerable". I can't think of any reason to get this beer. While not being quite as bad, Steel Reserve could be reasonably described as being to beer what Vladimir is to vodka. That is, dirt cheap garbage.

1.54/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

2.68/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.85/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

By far one of my least favorite beers out there. The only good things I have to say about this beer are that the tall boy cans look great, it is dirt cheap and it's got a high ABV. I think a tall boy costs maybe $1.60 over at my local gas station. The beer itself is awful. For a beer this cheap, it is trying a bit too much with it's unique flavor. If you are looking for the most affordable way to get your buzz on, there are definitely better alternatives.

2.47/5  rDev +3.8%

2.91/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.91/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 24-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.89
Purchased: Oct. 24, 2017
Consumed: Oct. 24, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: Best by Feb. 19, 2018

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) (EDIT: now eight (eight!)) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Seventh up was Steele Reserve 211 (High Gravity). Can read, “Slow Brewed for Exceptionally Smooth Flavor.” A quick look at Beer Advocate and it had it at 2.38. Whoa. That meant it was the 55th worst beer, but not the worst of the Malt Liquors I’ve tried so far. Going in I had it E40, Mickey’s, Hurricane, Natty Daddy, Old English 800 and King Cobra with the latter three pretty far back.

Poured a straw clear color with three fingers of off-white frothy head. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Good spotty lacing. Very good retention. (Sight - 3.75)

Smelled big booze up front. Also sweet corn syrup, apple, corn cereal, wet grain, barley, spoiled pear, hints of honey and stale day-old booze. Was not as bad as initially thought on the nose. (Smell - 2.75)

Like most of the American Malt Liquors that I’ve tried so far, the first taste wasn’t terrible, but the second one was much, much worse. Second sip of this one was probably in the bottom half of the malt liquors, but certainly not in the bottom two or three. Then it grew on me a bit. Specifically got apple vinegar, spoiled pear, sticky sweet corn adjunct, wet grain, barley, light floral and caramel malts. Was tasting that 8.1 pct. booze. (Taste - 3.00)

Medium body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. (Feel - 2.75)

Not nearly as bad as I thought this was going to be. (Overall - 2.75)

2.91 | 68 | C

1.81/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

4.75/5  rDev +99.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1.55/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This is a bottom shelf beer review. If you are buying a can of Steel Reserve its not because you are looking for a premium larger, you are looking to get drunk. 8.1% Alcohol/Volume, it will do that, although your stomach may regret it later.

This is not one of those beers for sipping and savoring, this is for punching a hole in the other side of the can with your trusty P38, and slamming it down like a proper Marine. You don't want the flavor of this beer. There are plenty worse out of there (Camo Black Extra I'm looking at you) if you want to find the worst possible beer, but to call this anything other than barely tolerable would be a lie. It has a distinctly hot mouth feel. It doesn't smell as bad as it drinks, but you can just get an appreciation of the chemical aftertaste from the smell if you are not a smoker.

The virtues of this beer are: high alcohol content and low price. I picked this up for $0.99/24oz can at my declining neighborhood's least reputable liquor store. You might do a little better if you are buying in bulk with cheap vodka and just want to get drunk, but for the cash challenged this will do the job. Pro tip: Its slightly more tolerable extra cold.

3.26/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev +34.9%

2.86/5  rDev +20.2%

Why would you buy a hotdog and review it like a steak??? This beer is great for what it is..a high ABV malt liquor. Possibly the best ML you can get in a can..and it's 1.49.

3.68/5  rDev +54.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.16/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.37/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +63%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scores are in comparison to other beers in the same category.

Looks yellow with a tinge of orange. Clear. White head. Good lacing and head retention.
Smells like a super up bud.
Tastes sweet, malty, corny. A little astringent, like something soured, like bad yogurt.
Feels as light as a beer like this can.
Overall, I like it for what it is. It tastes better and gets me drunker faster than other American Malt Liquor.

I'd like to set this side by side with hurricane and do a true taste test.

1.03/5  rDev -56.7%

From a 24oz can poured into a Stella Artois branded tulip glass.

Look: A deep caramel coloured body. Not a good sign for a self-proclaimed "high gravity lager" as it says on the can, unless if it's supposed to be a dark lager, which none of the rest shown below represents what a lager should be, let alone American Adjunct Lager.

Smell: Overtly sweet and obvious alcohol. No sign of the claimed "hops" as described on the can.

Taste: Sweet and absolutely syrupy, with a hint of some malts. The worst I've ever had. I also highly dislike syrupy flavours or feels in beer, so this went way down on my list of AALs I've ever tried.

Feel: Syrup and slight alcohol come into mind, but the aftertaste may or may not have been bitter. If I felt anything else after drinking half this glass (or way earlier on), it was that funny feeling in my stomach that I should have never had this beer in the first place.

Overall: The worst beer I've ever had in my life. I cannot fathom on how or why I bothered to choose this as a contender to see if this would even be any relevant in competing against AALs. Having a syrupy profile and then feeling a little nauseous in the stomach proves that I just cannot simply have this beer, anymore. If anything, it makes me wish this never even existed. I had to eat some bread with spreads such as hummus and (separately) peanut butter and Nutella with milk to wash it all down. I'd rather see 8% on a stout than what is supposed to be a "lager" when everyone else calls it a "malt liquor", which to be honest has very negative connotations for being (in the U.S.) a "poor man's booze", which has the stereotype known to be in the ghettos. I could not fathom myself trying to appreciate this beer, so I would honestly stay away from it.

Also, I dumped the rest out from the can and the glass, itself, further proving that this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, out of all the other AALs I've tried, so far.

3.31/5  rDev +39.1%

As strong beers go this isn't half bad. Once you get past 7% things normally get very ugly very quickly, but this brew maintains composure and refuses to screw your face up. At this price point you can't go wrong. Good clean taste, reminiscent of a 5.0% no after tastes of old laundry baskets, again, at this price point a clear winner.

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%