Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.38/5
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,221 |  Reviews: 565
4.75/5  rDev +99.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1.55/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This is a bottom shelf beer review. If you are buying a can of Steel Reserve its not because you are looking for a premium larger, you are looking to get drunk. 8.1% Alcohol/Volume, it will do that, although your stomach may regret it later.

This is not one of those beers for sipping and savoring, this is for punching a hole in the other side of the can with your trusty P38, and slamming it down like a proper Marine. You don't want the flavor of this beer. There are plenty worse out of there (Camo Black Extra I'm looking at you) if you want to find the worst possible beer, but to call this anything other than barely tolerable would be a lie. It has a distinctly hot mouth feel. It doesn't smell as bad as it drinks, but you can just get an appreciation of the chemical aftertaste from the smell if you are not a smoker.

The virtues of this beer are: high alcohol content and low price. I picked this up for $0.99/24oz can at my declining neighborhood's least reputable liquor store. You might do a little better if you are buying in bulk with cheap vodka and just want to get drunk, but for the cash challenged this will do the job. Pro tip: Its slightly more tolerable extra cold.

3.26/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev +34.9%

2.86/5  rDev +20.2%

Why would you buy a hotdog and review it like a steak??? This beer is great for what it is..a high ABV malt liquor. Possibly the best ML you can get in a can..and it's 1.49.

3.68/5  rDev +54.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.16/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.37/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +63%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scores are in comparison to other beers in the same category.

Looks yellow with a tinge of orange. Clear. White head. Good lacing and head retention.
Smells like a super up bud.
Tastes sweet, malty, corny. A little astringent, like something soured, like bad yogurt.
Feels as light as a beer like this can.
Overall, I like it for what it is. It tastes better and gets me drunker faster than other American Malt Liquor.

I'd like to set this side by side with hurricane and do a true taste test.

1.03/5  rDev -56.7%

From a 24oz can poured into a Stella Artois branded tulip glass.

Look: A deep caramel coloured body. Not a good sign for a self-proclaimed "high gravity lager" as it says on the can, unless if it's supposed to be a dark lager, which none of the rest shown below represents what a lager should be, let alone American Adjunct Lager.

Smell: Overtly sweet and obvious alcohol. No sign of the claimed "hops" as described on the can.

Taste: Sweet and absolutely syrupy, with a hint of some malts. The worst I've ever had. I also highly dislike syrupy flavours or feels in beer, so this went way down on my list of AALs I've ever tried.

Feel: Syrup and slight alcohol come into mind, but the aftertaste may or may not have been bitter. If I felt anything else after drinking half this glass (or way earlier on), it was that funny feeling in my stomach that I should have never had this beer in the first place.

Overall: The worst beer I've ever had in my life. I cannot fathom on how or why I bothered to choose this as a contender to see if this would even be any relevant in competing against AALs. Having a syrupy profile and then feeling a little nauseous in the stomach proves that I just cannot simply have this beer, anymore. If anything, it makes me wish this never even existed. I had to eat some bread with spreads such as hummus and (separately) peanut butter and Nutella with milk to wash it all down. I'd rather see 8% on a stout than what is supposed to be a "lager" when everyone else calls it a "malt liquor", which to be honest has very negative connotations for being (in the U.S.) a "poor man's booze", which has the stereotype known to be in the ghettos. I could not fathom myself trying to appreciate this beer, so I would honestly stay away from it.

Also, I dumped the rest out from the can and the glass, itself, further proving that this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, out of all the other AALs I've tried, so far.

3.31/5  rDev +39.1%

As strong beers go this isn't half bad. Once you get past 7% things normally get very ugly very quickly, but this brew maintains composure and refuses to screw your face up. At this price point you can't go wrong. Good clean taste, reminiscent of a 5.0% no after tastes of old laundry baskets, again, at this price point a clear winner.

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

4.53/5  rDev +90.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1.25/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Backlog. 16 oz can. This is the worst malt liquor I’ve yet rated. Olde English and Mickey’s Ice were by no means masterpieces, but this is worse than those even. Not enough carbonation. Has a sickly sweet taste. Pours no head. Bad, bad beer. I can feel a headache coming already. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah, to rate more beer! Even if it sucks.

3.17/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light gold color with white cap and lacing.

A somewhat light aroma of cooked grain. It's a relatively clean scent but not malty. A slight floral tone in the background which may be hops.

Taste is a good deal better than the aroma with a maltlike body that finishes slightly sweet.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

As high gravity malt liquors go this one isn't bad. More flavor than most AALs I'm aware of and it maintains a clean character throughout. In fact I don't find any off notes for this surprisingly cheap commercial product.

Look: Clear yellow straw color with a quarter finger white head that fizzles away instantly and doesn't leave lacing.

Aroma: Smells like pure grain alcohol masked by apple juice and sugar.

Taste: Like cheap tequila. Off putting fusel notes all over the place. The taste is incredibly hot and boozy with a sickeningly sweet green apple flavor.

Feel: Over carbonated and watery. Again, overtly alcoholic, there is a burning sensation imparted to the beer by the ABV as you drink it.

Overall: One of the worst malt liquors on the market. I guess if you're just looking to get drunk for cheap this would suffice, but I can't believe people drink this crap, even at $1.99 a can. Honestly if you're that much of an absolute fiend and getting completely trashed is your only goal you'd probably just be better off buying a half pint of vodka, gin or tequila from a liquor store. If I could give this a zero I would.
Rating: [F] Bilious. 1/5.

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cheap drinkin juice but its not terrible.. No off flavors..

Mostly corny flavor but it does actually have a hint of hops ..

Probably wouldnt buy again but I will try anything , cheap or craft .

3.14/5  rDev +31.9%

4.93/5  rDev +107.1%

Looks like beer, nothing fancy. Has a nice high ABV, always welcomed. Since I love a good malty beer and am not a big fan of hoppy brews, this fits well for my tastes. SR is very sweet, with a good amount of body. I don't notice the alcohol taste as much, maybe 'cause of the sweetness.
For myself, its great with salty food or by itself if I wanna feel relaxed real fast ;)

2.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not horrible cuz of the alc % but tastes bad. Pretty foul. Camo silver ice is better for a cheap buzz.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company