Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,209 |  Reviews: 561

2.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.19/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

4.32/5  rDev +74.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger white head, darkish yellow body. Not the best color.

Smell: Banana, mild cotton candy, and a touch of grains.

Taste: Same as above, but the grains are a lot more upfront.

Feel: High carbonation, medium body, dry finish. Slight upfront sweetness, not much alcohol presence which is surprising.

Other: I wasn't expecting much, but this is surprisingly decent given the BA score. I'd buy it again.

This has to be the worst beer or malt Liquor I have ever tried, just plain awful

1.51/5  rDev -39.1%

2.26/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.61/5  rDev +5.2%

2.88/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +65.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

All of my drinking sessions, more accurately thought of as meditative explorations into our collective consciousness through beer, begins with me downing a couple Steel Reserves so it is no surprise that it also begins my Top 10 list. To an untrained tongue rotted by abuse at the hands of Budweiser or Pabst poop, Steel Reserve will be described as "disgusting", "gross", or "really bad, but cheap and gets you shitfaced." In reality, Steel Reserve has a deep and consistent flavor that demands your attention. After a couple cans the taste begins to set in as an aggressively warm full-bodied sweetness, like maple-honey foraged by a hot-headed hornet. At 8.1% ABV, I have wondered during many drunken stupors how such a rich flavor can so successfully mask a high alcohol content. Helpful tip: purchase yourself two 24oz tall cans rather than the 40oz. You'll save money in the long run, and will have more to drink.

3.06/5  rDev +23.4%

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) brewed by Steel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 8.10% This brew pours out a deep golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is rich with malts,grains and some minor hops. There is a strong alcohol sweetness in the smell of this brew. This brew has the look and smell of most Malt liquors/ High Gravity Lagers on the market. Now I'm not saying that is bad thing. The taste of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) is bitter sweet with malts and grains. I mean a lot of malts. You can definitely pick up on the high 8.10% ABV in this brew. For what it is worth it not horrible, I have had a lot worse. However this is definitely not one of my top brews. The mouth feel of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is Bold, Malty, Alcohol. Nothing to write home about but it is worth a review. Kinda on the fence with this one. It is a harder brew to drink, but if you like malt liquor this might be one to look up. Overall I'm giving Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) a 3 out of 5. I would buy this brew again if it was the only thing I could get at the time. Steel Brewing Company, did an ok job with this one.

3.03/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty shitty beer in general, but it's actually not entirely horrible. It does have a bit of it's own character in terms of being relatively well hopped in a way that hides the alcohol. It doesn't really have that winey taste that is characteristic of some high alcohol brews. Other than that though, there really isn't anything that good about it or any reason to drink it, unless you're just looking for high alcohol content.

1.07/5  rDev -56.9%

2.56/5  rDev +3.2%

2.59/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.89/5  rDev +16.5%

3.44/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not sure why this is getting crushed in ratings. Nothing outstanding but nice sweet grainy flavor and easy to drink. Pretty clean finish, alcohol is not noticeable. Would drink again.

3.04/5  rDev +22.6%

I'm not a beer snob. I promise. I knew going into this that this wasn't the "king of taste and queen of amazing" so I kept an opened mind. After reading reviews I'm wondering if mine was skunked. It's a 40oz plastic bottle I had in the freezer for ~30 mins and poured a 6 finger head into my frosty glass. It quickly subsided as the taste took me by surprise. Slightly sweet but really bitter to me. No idea why but the after taste was not so good. Maybe I'm crazy? Overall it smelled and tasted alright, just too bitter apt the end for me.

1.69/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.75/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My reference point when reviewing malt liquors, I am a huge fan of malt liquors, most likely due to my love of malt scotches and other alcohols. The arrival is smooth and quite malty, it's sweeter than most beers I've drank but not unpleasant. Overall, Steel Reserve 211 lager is, in my opinion, the best baseline and reference point, when it comes to malt liquors. Nothing too special, but nothing to complain about.

3.52/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My go to for a good time. As an avid micro brew drinker, i can safely say that the concept and branding of Steel Reserve is its downfall for mainstream consumers. it is a very decent beer that surpasses the buds/coors of society. Buck up and try it as an adult.

3.1/5  rDev +25%

3.77/5  rDev +52%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can best by 10-24-16. DFH tulip.

A: pours a clear honey gold with 1 finger foamy white head. Few lazy bubbles coming up. Leaves some decent lacing. It is actually a fairly pretty beer.

S: grain like with something just a touch off; some say vegetal, some say chemical. I suppose that's appropriate for the style, and here it's not totally off- putting.

T: arrives pretty bland, then turns a little sweet across mid-palate; not excessively sweet, though. That vegetal character is there; kind of like an ashy character? Mind you, I tasted this at 39 degrees straight out of the fridge.

M: possibly the highlight of this brew. Quite mouth-filling, heavier side of midweight with active but not excessive carbonation and quite a clean finish, all things considered.

O: I have not had malt liquor in 12+ years, but I wanted to write a review, so I searched everywhere for Mickey's and Colt 45, both of which are rated higher than this. But I couldn't find them as singles, and this was at every single store I went to- from the snobby craft beer place to the carryouts in the hood. So my guess is that this is representative of the style today. That said, it is not a bad beer, if enjoyed as intended: cold. I am a fan of maltier beers, and a fan of lagers, and this is both - without being totally offensive. At $1.39, if you can stand the stink eye the cashier gives you when you buy it, it's pretty decent. As an aside - have you all noticed how many people who have rated this beer have ONLY ever rated this beer? Just saying.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company