Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Notes: Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.
Reviews: 619 | Ratings: 1,325
1.09/5  rDev -53.8%

Terrible. It taste like a dogs water dish kept outside. I know because I had a gold retriever. Taste like golden retriever bath water. Can’t keep the beer down as much as I want to because it’s cheap and packed with alcohol. But I barf every time.

The price is the only selling point other than the alcohol content. The only reason to ever buy this again is if there is no other beer in my price range in the cooler.

2.05/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I agree with the person that described this beer as "barely tolerable". I can't think of any reason to get this beer. While not being quite as bad, Steel Reserve could be reasonably described as being to beer what Vladimir is to vodka. That is, dirt cheap garbage.

1.85/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

By far one of my least favorite beers out there. The only good things I have to say about this beer are that the tall boy cans look great, it is dirt cheap and it's got a high ABV. I think a tall boy costs maybe $1.60 over at my local gas station. The beer itself is awful. For a beer this cheap, it is trying a bit too much with it's unique flavor. If you are looking for the most affordable way to get your buzz on, there are definitely better alternatives.

2.91/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 24-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.89
Purchased: Oct. 24, 2017
Consumed: Oct. 24, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: Best by Feb. 19, 2018

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) (EDIT: now eight (eight!)) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Seventh up was Steele Reserve 211 (High Gravity). Can read, “Slow Brewed for Exceptionally Smooth Flavor.” A quick look at Beer Advocate and it had it at 2.38. Whoa. That meant it was the 55th worst beer, but not the worst of the Malt Liquors I’ve tried so far. Going in I had it E40, Mickey’s, Hurricane, Natty Daddy, Old English 800 and King Cobra with the latter three pretty far back.

Poured a straw clear color with three fingers of off-white frothy head. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Good spotty lacing. Very good retention. (Sight - 3.75)

Smelled big booze up front. Also sweet corn syrup, apple, corn cereal, wet grain, barley, spoiled pear, hints of honey and stale day-old booze. Was not as bad as initially thought on the nose. (Smell - 2.75)

Like most of the American Malt Liquors that I’ve tried so far, the first taste wasn’t terrible, but the second one was much, much worse. Second sip of this one was probably in the bottom half of the malt liquors, but certainly not in the bottom two or three. Then it grew on me a bit. Specifically got apple vinegar, spoiled pear, sticky sweet corn adjunct, wet grain, barley, light floral and caramel malts. Was tasting that 8.1 pct. booze. (Taste - 3.00)

Medium body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. (Feel - 2.75)

Not nearly as bad as I thought this was going to be. (Overall - 2.75)

2.91 | 68 | C

1.55/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This is a bottom shelf beer review. If you are buying a can of Steel Reserve its not because you are looking for a premium larger, you are looking to get drunk. 8.1% Alcohol/Volume, it will do that, although your stomach may regret it later.

This is not one of those beers for sipping and savoring, this is for punching a hole in the other side of the can with your trusty P38, and slamming it down like a proper Marine. You don't want the flavor of this beer. There are plenty worse out of there (Camo Black Extra I'm looking at you) if you want to find the worst possible beer, but to call this anything other than barely tolerable would be a lie. It has a distinctly hot mouth feel. It doesn't smell as bad as it drinks, but you can just get an appreciation of the chemical aftertaste from the smell if you are not a smoker.

The virtues of this beer are: high alcohol content and low price. I picked this up for $0.99/24oz can at my declining neighborhood's least reputable liquor store. You might do a little better if you are buying in bulk with cheap vodka and just want to get drunk, but for the cash challenged this will do the job. Pro tip: Its slightly more tolerable extra cold.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

Why would you buy a hotdog and review it like a steak??? This beer is great for what it is..a high ABV malt liquor. Possibly the best ML you can get in a can..and it's 1.49.

3.88/5  rDev +64.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scores are in comparison to other beers in the same category.

Looks yellow with a tinge of orange. Clear. White head. Good lacing and head retention.
Smells like a super up bud.
Tastes sweet, malty, corny. A little astringent, like something soured, like bad yogurt.
Feels as light as a beer like this can.
Overall, I like it for what it is. It tastes better and gets me drunker faster than other American Malt Liquor.

I'd like to set this side by side with hurricane and do a true taste test.

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

From a 24oz can poured into a Stella Artois branded tulip glass.

Look: A deep caramel coloured body. Not a good sign for a self-proclaimed "high gravity lager" as it says on the can, unless if it's supposed to be a dark lager, which none of the rest shown below represents what a lager should be, let alone American Adjunct Lager.

Smell: Overtly sweet and obvious alcohol. No sign of the claimed "hops" as described on the can.

Taste: Sweet and absolutely syrupy, with a hint of some malts. The worst I've ever had. I also highly dislike syrupy flavours or feels in beer, so this went way down on my list of AALs I've ever tried.

Feel: Syrup and slight alcohol come into mind, but the aftertaste may or may not have been bitter. If I felt anything else after drinking half this glass (or way earlier on), it was that funny feeling in my stomach that I should have never had this beer in the first place.

Overall: The worst beer I've ever had in my life. I cannot fathom on how or why I bothered to choose this as a contender to see if this would even be any relevant in competing against AALs. Having a syrupy profile and then feeling a little nauseous in the stomach proves that I just cannot simply have this beer, anymore. If anything, it makes me wish this never even existed. I had to eat some bread with spreads such as hummus and (separately) peanut butter and Nutella with milk to wash it all down. I'd rather see 8% on a stout than what is supposed to be a "lager" when everyone else calls it a "malt liquor", which to be honest has very negative connotations for being (in the U.S.) a "poor man's booze", which has the stereotype known to be in the ghettos. I could not fathom myself trying to appreciate this beer, so I would honestly stay away from it.

Also, I dumped the rest out from the can and the glass, itself, further proving that this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, out of all the other AALs I've tried, so far.

3.31/5  rDev +40.3%

As strong beers go this isn't half bad. Once you get past 7% things normally get very ugly very quickly, but this brew maintains composure and refuses to screw your face up. At this price point you can't go wrong. Good clean taste, reminiscent of a 5.0% no after tastes of old laundry baskets, again, at this price point a clear winner.

1.25/5  rDev -47%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Backlog. 16 oz can. This is the worst malt liquor I’ve yet rated. Olde English and Mickey’s Ice were by no means masterpieces, but this is worse than those even. Not enough carbonation. Has a sickly sweet taste. Pours no head. Bad, bad beer. I can feel a headache coming already. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah, to rate more beer! Even if it sucks.

3.17/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light gold color with white cap and lacing.

A somewhat light aroma of cooked grain. It's a relatively clean scent but not malty. A slight floral tone in the background which may be hops.

Taste is a good deal better than the aroma with a maltlike body that finishes slightly sweet.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

As high gravity malt liquors go this one isn't bad. More flavor than most AALs I'm aware of and it maintains a clean character throughout. In fact I don't find any off notes for this surprisingly cheap commercial product.

Look: Clear yellow straw color with a quarter finger white head that fizzles away instantly and doesn't leave lacing.

Aroma: Smells like pure grain alcohol masked by apple juice and sugar.

Taste: Like cheap tequila. Off putting fusel notes all over the place. The taste is incredibly hot and boozy with a sickeningly sweet green apple flavor.

Feel: Over carbonated and watery. Again, overtly alcoholic, there is a burning sensation imparted to the beer by the ABV as you drink it.

Overall: One of the worst malt liquors on the market. I guess if you're just looking to get drunk for cheap this would suffice, but I can't believe people drink this crap, even at $1.99 a can. Honestly if you're that much of an absolute fiend and getting completely trashed is your only goal you'd probably just be better off buying a half pint of vodka, gin or tequila from a liquor store. If I could give this a zero I would.
Rating: [F] Bilious. 1/5.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cheap drinkin juice but its not terrible.. No off flavors..

Mostly corny flavor but it does actually have a hint of hops ..

Probably wouldnt buy again but I will try anything , cheap or craft .

4.93/5  rDev +108.9%

Looks like beer, nothing fancy. Has a nice high ABV, always welcomed. Since I love a good malty beer and am not a big fan of hoppy brews, this fits well for my tastes. SR is very sweet, with a good amount of body. I don't notice the alcohol taste as much, maybe 'cause of the sweetness.
For myself, its great with salty food or by itself if I wanna feel relaxed real fast ;)

4.1/5  rDev +73.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Based on the type of alcohol this is, this is a good malt liquor. cheap and doesnt taste like dirt. worth trying if you like malt liquor/want a cheap buzz

3.58/5  rDev +51.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Look - Poured into a frosted mug, a fingers worth of rocky white head that quickly dissolves. Clear golden in color.

Smell - Fairly tame. Some grain, mainly corn and a little bit of white bread.

Taste - Corn, cereal grains, sweet white bread, a bit of sweet ethanol on the finish.

Feel - Quite thick and oily. You want this ice cold. A bit more carbonation would help out a ton.

Overall - Very good for a malt liquor. Could use more carbonation but other than that it does the trick.

3.39/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Just to start out - I picked up this beer at recommendation of my tow truck driver (van broke down - long story) aaaanyway, so that is why I am writing a review for - lack of a better term - hobo beer, or excuse me "high gravity" beer. :) That'a bit more PC. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the taste of this beer. First off it is very smooth and goes down very easily - no alcohol heat to speak of, it pretty much tasted like all other American lagers. Pours a light straw color, minimal head, decent carbonation. Very little hops detected, lots of malty fizziness. Not a bad tasting lager - I'd drink this any day over the usual suspects (Bud, Miller, etc). The only problem (or some might say it's an asset) with this beer is it has an 8% abv, so not a summer - refreshing lawn mowing beer - unless you don't mind passing out on your lawn mower as you mow down your next door neighbors hedge - alas - I digress. Either way, dare I say try this one if you don't mind buying hobo brew at your local corner store.

2.49/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Look. This is not some crazy delicious juice like some people will try and tell you. It's a 4 pack of 16 oz tall boys for $3.29, sometimes less on deals. It costs about what a high life 4 pack of tall boys would, but it's 8.1% ABV, which means 4 tall boys is the same as 10.36 5% and beers. So damn near a 12 pack worth of alcohol (more than 12 if it's a 12 pack of lights), for less hanb1/3 the price of a 12 pack of buds. After the first 1-2 in 5-10 minutes, you don't give a shit about how it tastes. You stop tasting the alcohol undertones, and that's when this brew of barley malt and a hint of hop gets dangerous, because it becomes super drinkable.
Look: 1 16oz tall boy poured into a 28oz mug, topped it off after I watched the head. It pours a medium straw color, 1" of head which immediately dissipates, no lacing from start of pour to finish of drink. Less head than a domestic AAL, and those show a bit of lacing on this glass.
Smell: alcohol, a ton of malt, and a tiny hint of hop. Standard malt liquor.
Taste: first 2-3 drinks, alcohol and malt mixed together, but after the alcohol taste wears off is when you can actually taste this "beer." It is somewhat complex for its price point (less than the price of 4 Budweiser tall boys). First, a hint of alcohol, followed by a very sweet barely maltiness, there is a hint of hop toward the middle but it is negligible. It finishes sweet and a tiny sour, a bit of alcohol bite lingers but not bad, it is ignorable.
Feel: bubbly. Medium body, feels loghter due to the massive amount of carbonation.
Overall: f you're trying to get twisted, Or feeling good, grab you 6-8 of these and kill them in an hour-1 and a half hours. That's what I do when I wanna get drunk quick but still be able to control it with ease and don't have money for liquor/a case of beer. It's really not that bad, it's a decent substitute for that end of your pay period drink. Id give it a 2.75, but that's after 2-3 of these. I'm rating this sober, so it's a notch under budweiser-type brews because those for me are easier to drink and I don't get the alcohol taste.

4.09/5  rDev +73.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger white head, darkish yellow body.

Smell: Lots of corn, some grains.

Taste: Same as above.

Feel: High carbonation, medium body, dry finish. Slight upfront sweetness, not much alcohol presence which is surprising.

4.11/5  rDev +74.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

All of my drinking sessions, more accurately thought of as meditative explorations into our collective consciousness through beer, begins with me downing a couple Steel Reserves so it is no surprise that it also begins my Top 10 list. To an untrained tongue rotted by abuse at the hands of Budweiser or Pabst poop, Steel Reserve will be described as "disgusting", "gross", or "really bad, but cheap and gets you shitfaced." In reality, Steel Reserve has a deep and consistent flavor that demands your attention. After a couple cans the taste begins to set in as an aggressively warm full-bodied sweetness, like maple-honey foraged by a hot-headed hornet. At 8.1% ABV, I have wondered during many drunken stupors how such a rich flavor can so successfully mask a high alcohol content. Helpful tip: purchase yourself two 24oz tall cans rather than the 40oz. You'll save money in the long run, and will have more to drink.

3.06/5  rDev +29.7%

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) brewed by Steel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 8.10% This brew pours out a deep golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is rich with malts,grains and some minor hops. There is a strong alcohol sweetness in the smell of this brew. This brew has the look and smell of most Malt liquors/ High Gravity Lagers on the market. Now I'm not saying that is bad thing. The taste of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) is bitter sweet with malts and grains. I mean a lot of malts. You can definitely pick up on the high 8.10% ABV in this brew. For what it is worth it not horrible, I have had a lot worse. However this is definitely not one of my top brews. The mouth feel of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is Bold, Malty, Alcohol. Nothing to write home about but it is worth a review. Kinda on the fence with this one. It is a harder brew to drink, but if you like malt liquor this might be one to look up. Overall I'm giving Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) a 3 out of 5. I would buy this brew again if it was the only thing I could get at the time. Steel Brewing Company, did an ok job with this one.

3.03/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty shitty beer in general, but it's actually not entirely horrible. It does have a bit of it's own character in terms of being relatively well hopped in a way that hides the alcohol. It doesn't really have that winey taste that is characteristic of some high alcohol brews. Other than that though, there really isn't anything that good about it or any reason to drink it, unless you're just looking for high alcohol content.

3.44/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not sure why this is getting crushed in ratings. Nothing outstanding but nice sweet grainy flavor and easy to drink. Pretty clean finish, alcohol is not noticeable. Would drink again.

3.04/5  rDev +28.8%

I'm not a beer snob. I promise. I knew going into this that this wasn't the "king of taste and queen of amazing" so I kept an opened mind. After reading reviews I'm wondering if mine was skunked. It's a 40oz plastic bottle I had in the freezer for ~30 mins and poured a 6 finger head into my frosty glass. It quickly subsided as the taste took me by surprise. Slightly sweet but really bitter to me. No idea why but the after taste was not so good. Maybe I'm crazy? Overall it smelled and tasted alright, just too bitter apt the end for me.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company