Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,209 |  Reviews: 561
1.93/5  rDev -22.2%

1.06/5  rDev -57.3%

2.14/5  rDev -13.7%

2.89/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I drank it straight from a 40oz bottle.

Smells sickly sweet, along with cooked apple, and a general vegetable smell. There's some grain, yeast, and alcohol as well.

The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell would lead you to believe. Medium carbonation. Thick, and somewhat sweet, with an almost apple cider like flavor. Then comes the cooked corn and vegetables, as well as an alcohol bite at the end.

It's not good. It's also not terrible and has a high ABV. If you can get over the smell, it serves it's purpose just fine. Seriously though, the smell is absolutely disgusting.

2.81/5  rDev +13.3%

2.1/5  rDev -15.3%

2.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This looks a shade darker than Budweiser with a 1/2 inch white head. Does not smell bad, but not good either. I had the 8.1% version. I'm giving it bonus points for not tasting disgusting, buzzworthy, and cost only $1.17 for a 24 oz. can at Walmart.

Using the Begnel formula, the Alcohol Score is 24 oz. x 8.1% = 194.4, or 3.9 Bud Lights!

1.47/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.15/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Well If you're looking for something that will get you drunk without breaking the bank you found it. Truth is I have had more than one of these in the past. Please, just save your pennies and buy something else cause this is only slightly better than drinking prison house hooch.

2.35/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

1.29/5  rDev -48%

3.2% edition. Poured from a bottle, 2/9/14, into a small taster glass, about two ounces.

This may be "super rare," but it's also super terrible. Tastes like soggy corn flakes in water. Smells much worse.

1.9/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Words cannot describe how terrible this beer is. I'm so thankful I've graduated college and make more than minimum wage so I can afford better beer than this.

Anyway, about the beer... malt. So much malt. Tastes and smells like corn & alcohol. That about sums it up.

2.4/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.22/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.71/5  rDev +49.6%

Gott verdammt.

Bought a four pack of 16oz cans from Walgreens for $3.49. If I had gotten two of these, I would have gotten eight beers for the same price as six pack of premium beer or lower end craft beer... actually cheaper. Simply incredible.

And what did I get for such an amazing price?

Wow. Holy hell. This truly is something else.
Poured into a 12oz St. Louis Kriek pilsener style stemmed glass. Golden pale straw color, totally clear with lots of carbonation, and a really nice head. And--what do you know--the head actually sticks around AND leaves some really nice lacing on the glass. Would have never expected that from such a cheap brew.

Smell is of alcohol and malt. This is pretty cold so I wasn't expecting much.

The taste, oh my god. Obviously there's the alcohol, which I honestly don't mind at all, and the hops, which leave a sweetness on the palate. A bit cloying? Maybe, but I'm a sweet tooth and this doesn't bother me at all, it's not super sweet like a fruit cup. This ain't no wine cooler. Also, malt; all of it. I can see why they call this "malt liquor" now, this being my first one ever. I love malt way more than I like hops so I have no problems with that. No hops detected whatsoever, I'm fine with that.

Feel: Now this is interesting. This ain't MHL, but it really does remind me a bit of champagne. Sort of watery, but very very smooth too. There's just a slight alcoholic warmth to it that gives it flavor and makes it more interesting. I think that might be the real kicker.

Overally, I'm blown away. I went into this thinking it might be good, it might be horrible, but it ended up tasting almost exactly how I hoped it would taste. Simply incredible, and the price makes it all the better.

Now just watch as I have another one a few days later and it tastes completely horrible instead... here's to hoping they stay consistent, unlike many cheap adjunct products.

2.4/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is OK, not as bad as people say. It WILL get me pretty tipsy after one 40 ounce.One 24 Oz. will have me buzzing. - - - Good as a cheap alternative to get drunk fast! :)

4.82/5  rDev +94.4%

I decided on some steel reserve a big 40 ounce bottle.i hadngotten my wife to order me some chinese food earlier so when i got home i could kick back in my recliner have my steel reserve over a huge mug of ice and watch lotr .this malt liquour us best served over lots of ice . You people complain about the oily metallic corn taste of this brew . Thats because you dont have the common sense to drink it ice cold in a huge mug . I poured it and it had such a big head i had to sip it to keep it from foaming all over the asmall table i jad all my food snacks on.it tastes great and is refreshing and strong. Just what you need after a long days work . Stop complaining and drink it right youll be glad you did.

1.71/5  rDev -31%

Bought a single can for around $2.00 about 2 months ago and finally got around to trying it. 24-ounce can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and shared it with a good friend in 2 handled-glass steins.

Brew poured like a regular ol' Budweiser which was a golden-yellow in color with a good 1-finger of a white fizzy head. Aroma is of sweet corn for the most part with some yeast. Taste is close to the nose actually. It is decent for what it is and you can't beat the price and it is a 8%er also.

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer is not for me. To the AAL regular this may seem like a step up, but to me it is most certainly not.

Look: This beer at least looks decent. Dark orange in color, fizzy head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell: Smells like the de-greaser that I used to use at work combined with off beer. Not unpleasant, but not quite natural. Almost burns my nose.

Taste: All malt, and cloyingly sweet malt at that. Finish lingers.

Feel: Smooth, almost greasy. Surprising given the fact it smells like a cleaning product.

Overall: An overly sweet malt heavy drink. One of the few beers that got less pleasant as I drank. Would NOT recommend.

1.65/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Terrible appearance, concentrated urine yellow, almost no head, barely white, vanishes. Aroma was of some industrial grade cleaning equipment. Harsh.

Taste gives that corn and vodka soup feel to it. Almost no hops, but substantial carbonation could trick you into thinking it was there.

Real harsh rubbing alcohol vibe, no malt, no hops. Eeee gad, this is harsh even for malt liquor.

1.95/5  rDev -21.4%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

1.42/5  rDev -42.7%

2.35/5  rDev -5.2%

The beer is a straw color but completely see through. Lots of carbonation flying up the drink and the head that once started out very thick has lasted very well. The beer smells of alcohol, corn, and metal. It is horrible, I can't help but ask why I am drinking this. The beer taste just as bad as it smells. Malt liquor is already not a very pleasing style and now this makes Mickey's looks like a delicious craft brew. The beer started to taste like a typical bud, miller, coorers, etc. but slowly it just tasted like bad water. Slight taste of malts and sorta dry at the end even. Taste very manufactured and metallic, may be due to the can. The mouth feel is very watery but you you do get a nice tingle from the carbonation.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company