Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
Liked This Beer
2.38 w/ 1,217 ratings
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Liked:
2.38/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,217 |  Reviews: 564
3.04/5  rDev +27.7%

I'm not a beer snob. I promise. I knew going into this that this wasn't the "king of taste and queen of amazing" so I kept an opened mind. After reading reviews I'm wondering if mine was skunked. It's a 40oz plastic bottle I had in the freezer for ~30 mins and poured a 6 finger head into my frosty glass. It quickly subsided as the taste took me by surprise. Slightly sweet but really bitter to me. No idea why but the after taste was not so good. Maybe I'm crazy? Overall it smelled and tasted alright, just too bitter apt the end for me.

1.69/5  rDev -29%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +57.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My reference point when reviewing malt liquors, I am a huge fan of malt liquors, most likely due to my love of malt scotches and other alcohols. The arrival is smooth and quite malty, it's sweeter than most beers I've drank but not unpleasant. Overall, Steel Reserve 211 lager is, in my opinion, the best baseline and reference point, when it comes to malt liquors. Nothing too special, but nothing to complain about.

3.52/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My go to for a good time. As an avid micro brew drinker, i can safely say that the concept and branding of Steel Reserve is its downfall for mainstream consumers. it is a very decent beer that surpasses the buds/coors of society. Buck up and try it as an adult.

3.1/5  rDev +30.3%

3.77/5  rDev +58.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can best by 10-24-16. DFH tulip.

A: pours a clear honey gold with 1 finger foamy white head. Few lazy bubbles coming up. Leaves some decent lacing. It is actually a fairly pretty beer.

S: grain like with something just a touch off; some say vegetal, some say chemical. I suppose that's appropriate for the style, and here it's not totally off- putting.

T: arrives pretty bland, then turns a little sweet across mid-palate; not excessively sweet, though. That vegetal character is there; kind of like an ashy character? Mind you, I tasted this at 39 degrees straight out of the fridge.

M: possibly the highlight of this brew. Quite mouth-filling, heavier side of midweight with active but not excessive carbonation and quite a clean finish, all things considered.

O: I have not had malt liquor in 12+ years, but I wanted to write a review, so I searched everywhere for Mickey's and Colt 45, both of which are rated higher than this. But I couldn't find them as singles, and this was at every single store I went to- from the snobby craft beer place to the carryouts in the hood. So my guess is that this is representative of the style today. That said, it is not a bad beer, if enjoyed as intended: cold. I am a fan of maltier beers, and a fan of lagers, and this is both - without being totally offensive. At $1.39, if you can stand the stink eye the cashier gives you when you buy it, it's pretty decent. As an aside - have you all noticed how many people who have rated this beer have ONLY ever rated this beer? Just saying.

1.93/5  rDev -18.9%

1.06/5  rDev -55.5%

2.14/5  rDev -10.1%

2.89/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I drank it straight from a 40oz bottle.

Smells sickly sweet, along with cooked apple, and a general vegetable smell. There's some grain, yeast, and alcohol as well.

The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell would lead you to believe. Medium carbonation. Thick, and somewhat sweet, with an almost apple cider like flavor. Then comes the cooked corn and vegetables, as well as an alcohol bite at the end.

It's not good. It's also not terrible and has a high ABV. If you can get over the smell, it serves it's purpose just fine. Seriously though, the smell is absolutely disgusting.

2.81/5  rDev +18.1%

2.1/5  rDev -11.8%

2.16/5  rDev -9.2%

This looks a shade darker than Budweiser with a 1/2 inch white head. This smells bad, and tastes just as bad - very strong, sweet alcohol smell and taste, which makes it hard to swallow. I had the 8.1% version and it only cost $1.17 for a 24 oz. can at Walmart, so I really can't complain too much. I made it through 1/2 a can, sewer got the rest.

1.47/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.15/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Well If you're looking for something that will get you drunk without breaking the bank you found it. Truth is I have had more than one of these in the past. Please, just save your pennies and buy something else cause this is only slightly better than drinking prison house hooch.

2.35/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

1.29/5  rDev -45.8%

3.2% edition. Poured from a bottle, 2/9/14, into a small taster glass, about two ounces.

This may be "super rare," but it's also super terrible. Tastes like soggy corn flakes in water. Smells much worse.

1.9/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Words cannot describe how terrible this beer is. I'm so thankful I've graduated college and make more than minimum wage so I can afford better beer than this.

Anyway, about the beer... malt. So much malt. Tastes and smells like corn & alcohol. That about sums it up.

2.4/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.22/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.71/5  rDev +55.9%

Gott verdammt.

Bought a four pack of 16oz cans from Walgreens for $3.49. If I had gotten two of these, I would have gotten eight beers for the same price as six pack of premium beer or lower end craft beer... actually cheaper. Simply incredible.

And what did I get for such an amazing price?

Wow. Holy hell. This truly is something else.
Poured into a 12oz St. Louis Kriek pilsener style stemmed glass. Golden pale straw color, totally clear with lots of carbonation, and a really nice head. And--what do you know--the head actually sticks around AND leaves some really nice lacing on the glass. Would have never expected that from such a cheap brew.

Smell is of alcohol and malt. This is pretty cold so I wasn't expecting much.

The taste, oh my god. Obviously there's the alcohol, which I honestly don't mind at all, and the hops, which leave a sweetness on the palate. A bit cloying? Maybe, but I'm a sweet tooth and this doesn't bother me at all, it's not super sweet like a fruit cup. This ain't no wine cooler. Also, malt; all of it. I can see why they call this "malt liquor" now, this being my first one ever. I love malt way more than I like hops so I have no problems with that. No hops detected whatsoever, I'm fine with that.

Feel: Now this is interesting. This ain't MHL, but it really does remind me a bit of champagne. Sort of watery, but very very smooth too. There's just a slight alcoholic warmth to it that gives it flavor and makes it more interesting. I think that might be the real kicker.

Overally, I'm blown away. I went into this thinking it might be good, it might be horrible, but it ended up tasting almost exactly how I hoped it would taste. Simply incredible, and the price makes it all the better.

Now just watch as I have another one a few days later and it tastes completely horrible instead... here's to hoping they stay consistent, unlike many cheap adjunct products.

2.4/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is OK, not as bad as people say. It WILL get me pretty tipsy after one 40 ounce.One 24 Oz. will have me buzzing. - - - Good as a cheap alternative to get drunk fast! :)

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company