Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 562

3.51/5  rDev +42.1%

6.0% version sold here in Durham NC...only the 211 Triple Export is 8.1% here and thats for another review

12 pack of 12oz cans = $6.50

drank from shotgun as well as 4 x 12oz cans from my 52 oz Coors Light pitcher

This is FAR better than the 8.1% version...its more like a regular lager with some bite...definitely worth a try if you see it.

Its not the "kick you in the junk and like it" taste like the 8.1% delivers...the 6.0 dont really qualify as a high gravity lager. Its my new "on the reg" regular beer now instead of Natty Ice because it tastes a hell of a lot better and its cheap.. less than 7 a 12 pack.

Its actually very smooth...its kinda funky if you let it warm up as expected.

there is a 3.2% version sold in Oklahoma...its hilarious actually...tastes like Carling Black Label or "BEER" (falstaff swill)

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%

2.25/5  rDev -8.9%

1.75/5  rDev -29.1%

1.73/5  rDev -30%

Aaah, Steel Reserve. No doubt about it one of the most recognizable names in malt liquor. I like how the can tries to portray this product as a high quality and classy beverage, with slogans on the can saying how it's brewed with double the malt and hops for extra "gravity" and the 211 stems from medieval times as 211 was the number of steel back then. This beer exists for one reason and one reason only: to get you drunk. The version I reviewed is the 8.1% version.

Steel Reserve pours a bright yellow color that is reminiscent of your first passing of urine of the day. A finger and a half of foam forms and lasts for just under a minute. The aroma struck me as peculiar at first, with my nose discerning an aroma that reminded me of grape juice gone bad, along with some corn, grain and alcohol scents. The mouthfeel seemed average for your standard fizzy yellows beers, with a moderate amount of carbonation. There was some slight stickiness present that stood out. The first flavor I detected was that of pure alcohol. Some sweet corny and grainy flavors were present as well. The beer was a bit harsh tasting at first, but it became easier to drink as I drank on. There was some metallic and alcoholic dryness and bitterness in the finish. The dryness continues on to the aftertaste, along with some light alcohol and grains flavors. The brew concludes with some decent alcoholic warmth.

I wasn't expecting much out of this beer, and it pretty much met my expectations. If it was slightly less harsh, it would have been one of the better examples of the style. If you're looking for a cheap buzz, I suppose one could do worse than this.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

3.01/5  rDev +21.9%

24oz tallboy can marked 8.1 ABV

A - I didn't even bother pouring this into a glass so I can't comment on the appearance.

S - Smells like an ethanol plant, urine

T - Semi-mettalic, super sweet malt covering the high ABV very well.

M - Moderately thick and syrupy.

O - I think this is one the best malt liquors I have ever tasted. For the style, it's actually quite good and a nice contrast to the IPA I just finished. I paid $1.37 for this can and I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth on the alcohol front:) Malt liquor is malt liquor...drink fast and get your buzz on. I don't particularly care for this style of beer but I drank many a Mickey's Ice big mouth 40 in college and this tastes much better and has a higher ABV to boot. Definitely drink COLD. Not that I'm advocating slamming this beer but the alcohol starts asserting itself agressively as it warms up.

Cheers!