Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 562

2.58/5  rDev +4.5%

Have only had this once out of a forty ounce and hated it. Will attempt it now again hopefully it is better from a 24oz can. Poured into big mug with round bowl bottom. Pours a color of ginger ale, pleasing appearance of the rising bubbles, creamy white head that does not last. Smell isn't too pleasing, sweet malt presence and metal. Taste also has a certain sweetness to it. Pretty rough feel. It is pretty decent for a cheap beer though, and the high abv isn't a bad thing.

2.41/5  rDev -2.4%

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then 1,000 beer reviews must be worth 1,000,000 pictures. Whatever the exchange rate may be, I find myself about to write my 1,000th review. Here I am deep into my journey of discovering beer, but in reality I've just scratched the surface. This will still probably be true by the time my 10Kth review is completed. In a way it seems fitting that this beer was chosen to commemorate this momentous occasion. Back to basics. Steel Reserve was not my first beer, but it does well to represent the sentiment that I had with my first beer (getting drunk with whatever was available).

Poured into a snifter (why the hell not?). 8.1% variety.

3.5 A: I must say that this isn't a bad looking brew. Clear light yellow color. Two fingers of surprisingly creamy white head. Retention isn't bad and some spotty lacing is left behind.

2.5 S: Dry, dusty graininess. Mild sweet corn. Not much else so not anything else to write.

2.0 T: Corny sweetness is the strongest flavor with some neutral malt second. This could use some more bittering hops to round out the flavor.

3.0 M: I'm quite impressed here. Light body, but it has a touch of creaminess, which I wasn't expecting. The carbonation is at a reasonable level, which I find even more surprising.

2.5 D: This isn't a good beer, but it's a hell of a lot better than I remembered it being. Perhaps it's no longer mentally associated with me drinking way too much of this in highschool and puking all over Pittsburgh. In any case, I thought this review would allow me to do some of my best bitching, but really this is just a top end beer from a really vile style.

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev +1.2%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.93/5  rDev +18.6%

For 99 cents, these 24 ounces of 8% malt liquor can't be beat.

First of all this is not a good beer. It smells like cheap beer (sour and foul), it tastes like sweet corn and alcohol, it's over carbonated, but it finishes like an ok beer. There's something nice about it that make the 2nd and 3rd sips better and better. (maybe it's the 8% alcohol)

While it may be not-good, it is the #1 malt liquor I've tasted, and the price is amazing.

When I see a 4-pack of Abrasive Ale for $16.99, or the equivilant volume of Steel Reserve 211 for $2.97, I sometimes go for the malt liquor.

It's bad taste vs. good economics, and it's certainly a beer that will grow on you.

1.39/5  rDev -43.7%

A- Pours a piss yellow gold with a huge white foam head. Champagne bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Clear with thin lacing.

S- Metallic corn with a touch of light malt caramel mixed with skunk notes.

T- taste like corn water left in a plastic bottle in the sun for a few days. Has a plastic taste to it. A bit bitter and sour.

M- Grainy and thin, leaves the mouth very dry.

O- Tried this just to say I tried it. Now that I have I can say I won't have it again. Terrible beer. Couldn't finish it. I'd rather have a Bud Light over this one.

2.95/5  rDev +19.4%

A budget buy, let's see if this is as bad as I remember... on public access they aired this hilarious episode of a "talk show", it was a couple of old guys demystifying the evil "coded symbols" you find on various malt liquors. Of course you have a slew of dangerous animals to be superstitious about (cobras, jaguars, wild cats, all pretty self-explanatory), but Steel Reserve? Where's the hidden meaning there fellas? The "211" sign is the medieval symbol for steel, but they went another route, claiming it had criminal meaning.

Here's an excerpt from the age old tome "A Story without Heroes: The Cautionary Tale of Malt Liquor"...

"LeeRoy Jordan, Jr., a health professional and independent consultant, was one of many who noted that 211 was the California penal code for robbery, and he added that the alphanumeric gang code translation of 211, based on the 2nd and 11th letters of the alphabet, was "Blood Killer." And there you have it: another malt liquor brand promoting gangsterism and violence."

Can says "JUN042012" so at least it's in code.
Skip those clear bottles.

Ultra pale gold, not much in the way of visible carbonation. A finger of whitey white foam, that settles briefly and leaves some irrregular lacing and a thin veil of broken skim on the surface.

Nondescript aroma of apple, wet grain husks, and sweet alcohol. Honestly it's pretty inoffensive.

Fruity flavor, some harsh alcohol astringency, cereal grains in the finish. The fruitiness isn't your typical apple juice box, it has some pear or similar sweetness to it that's actually not terrible, and a welcome change from typical swill, which this is too don't get me wrong. Feels like a medium bodied malt liquor, it gets a little boozy when it warms up, so don't let that happen. Leave the open 40 in the fridge if you have to. Slight stickiness, there is a fair amount of sweetness but the alcohol tends to dry it out quickly. Pretty drinkable actually, which goes a long way in the malt liquor category.

Overall this isn't terrible, middle of the road compared to the bottom of the barrel malt liquors... Earthquake, Jaguar, Evil Eye, etc.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company