Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.38/5
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,220 |  Reviews: 565

3.45/5  rDev +45%

For less than a couple bucks almost anywhere, it's hard to pass up a tallboy of Steel Reserve. The taste is fairly strong, though if you're accustomed to drinking high gravity lager a lot it won't seem as intense as a lot of other malt liquors. Because it's so inexpensive it makes a popular choice for anyone looking for a quick buzz. 75% of the time I head up to the local grocery store I'm often finding myself reaching way back for the last one. It doesn't taste horrible and it's very economical. It's easy to get used to without dreading the strong aftertaste from other beers in its category.

1.5/5  rDev -37%

2.58/5  rDev +8.4%

Have only had this once out of a forty ounce and hated it. Will attempt it now again hopefully it is better from a 24oz can. Poured into big mug with round bowl bottom. Pours a color of ginger ale, pleasing appearance of the rising bubbles, creamy white head that does not last. Smell isn't too pleasing, sweet malt presence and metal. Taste also has a certain sweetness to it. Pretty rough feel. It is pretty decent for a cheap beer though, and the high abv isn't a bad thing.

2.41/5  rDev +1.3%

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then 1,000 beer reviews must be worth 1,000,000 pictures. Whatever the exchange rate may be, I find myself about to write my 1,000th review. Here I am deep into my journey of discovering beer, but in reality I've just scratched the surface. This will still probably be true by the time my 10Kth review is completed. In a way it seems fitting that this beer was chosen to commemorate this momentous occasion. Back to basics. Steel Reserve was not my first beer, but it does well to represent the sentiment that I had with my first beer (getting drunk with whatever was available).

Poured into a snifter (why the hell not?). 8.1% variety.

3.5 A: I must say that this isn't a bad looking brew. Clear light yellow color. Two fingers of surprisingly creamy white head. Retention isn't bad and some spotty lacing is left behind.

2.5 S: Dry, dusty graininess. Mild sweet corn. Not much else so not anything else to write.

2.0 T: Corny sweetness is the strongest flavor with some neutral malt second. This could use some more bittering hops to round out the flavor.

3.0 M: I'm quite impressed here. Light body, but it has a touch of creaminess, which I wasn't expecting. The carbonation is at a reasonable level, which I find even more surprising.

2.5 D: This isn't a good beer, but it's a hell of a lot better than I remembered it being. Perhaps it's no longer mentally associated with me drinking way too much of this in highschool and puking all over Pittsburgh. In any case, I thought this review would allow me to do some of my best bitching, but really this is just a top end beer from a really vile style.

1.5/5  rDev -37%

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev +5%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.93/5  rDev +23.1%

For 99 cents, these 24 ounces of 8% malt liquor can't be beat.

First of all this is not a good beer. It smells like cheap beer (sour and foul), it tastes like sweet corn and alcohol, it's over carbonated, but it finishes like an ok beer. There's something nice about it that make the 2nd and 3rd sips better and better. (maybe it's the 8% alcohol)

While it may be not-good, it is the #1 malt liquor I've tasted, and the price is amazing.

When I see a 4-pack of Abrasive Ale for $16.99, or the equivilant volume of Steel Reserve 211 for $2.97, I sometimes go for the malt liquor.

It's bad taste vs. good economics, and it's certainly a beer that will grow on you.

2.5/5  rDev +5%