Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.39/5
Poor
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,254 |  Reviews: 582

3.5/5  rDev +46.4%

1.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.55/5  rDev +6.7%

Reviewed "To Style". Malt Liquor is definitely not my favorite style, but I have trouble turning down a gift beer.

NOTE: Parts of this are a dual review, read on to find out.

A: Nice deep golden color in the clear 40oz. bottle (proper glassware for style IMHO). About 1/2 finger of bone white, soapy head when opened, and surprisingly sticky lace.
Part 2 Wife (thankfully) put 3 small lemon wedges in the bottle after I was about 1/4 into it, didn't improve the appearance other than it gave me hope that the remainder wouldn't be as funky as the 1st 1/4.

S: I avoid this as much as possible with this. I'm not going to kid myself (or anyone reading this); Soured sweet corn, fresh grated steel, wet cardboard, a bit of skunk (not the good kind), there just might be some malt in there.
Part 2: (After lemons) Citrus seems to mitigate the most offensive sour corn scents, I'm getting lemony citrus that's still got a bit of creamed sweet corn in it, more malt, less skunk than above (though the skunk has turned more "herbal"...)

T: Soured sweet corn, metal (the steel in steel reserve?), a bit of wet cardboard, skunk - this bottle has definitely "seen the light", in a bad way.
Part 2: Wife's lemons (3 wedges shoved into the bottle) have done wonders for the flavor! The citrus flavor has morphed the skunk into "SKUNK no.1 herbal" flavor, the corn has been joined by a bit of rice (that's an improvement - really), wet cardboard is muted - but still there (let's not fool ourselves, this is malt liquor)

M: Great for style. A bit thick, med / light but slightly oily. Active carbonation attempts to scrub the tongue of off flavors,
Part 2: Lemons don't seem to play much here, MAYBE lightening it a bit.

Overall: One of the "better" malt liquors IMHO. It does the job, and quick. But honestly, if it wasn't a gift from a neighbor, I would have gone elsewhere. The lemon addition my Wife provided raised everything up more than a few degrees - one of the few styles I'd actually recommend a wedge of lemon, orange , (anything citrus) for.

Caveat: DO NOT line this up against Stone Ruination, or even Coors Banquet, Bud, or Miller High Life for that matter, this is an entirely different category of beer. I really tried to review according to style. That said, this is pretty close to top of the category, but bottom of my list.

2.16/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a pale gold with a quarter of an inch of soft, white head that quickly fades away. The smell is fruity and grainy. The taste is similar; tastes like apples and sweet corn. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, smooth, and heavily carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer. The can I had said 6.0%. It's not very flavorful and honestly rather forgettable, but for the style it's not awful.

3.11/5  rDev +30.1%

Bright and fizzy. Not gold but less than a strange artificial yellow.

Close to gross with a sticky, sugary malts and white rice.

Amazing versus the smell. Clean, sharp and smooth. Nice hint of bitterness in the finish.

Fizzy and light with some slick booziness in the finish.

Other than the smell, this is a good strong brew for the price. Far cleaner than horrid ice beers for sure.

3.45/5  rDev +44.4%

For less than a couple bucks almost anywhere, it's hard to pass up a tallboy of Steel Reserve. The taste is fairly strong, though if you're accustomed to drinking high gravity lager a lot it won't seem as intense as a lot of other malt liquors. Because it's so inexpensive it makes a popular choice for anyone looking for a quick buzz. 75% of the time I head up to the local grocery store I'm often finding myself reaching way back for the last one. It doesn't taste horrible and it's very economical. It's easy to get used to without dreading the strong aftertaste from other beers in its category.

2.58/5  rDev +7.9%

Have only had this once out of a forty ounce and hated it. Will attempt it now again hopefully it is better from a 24oz can. Poured into big mug with round bowl bottom. Pours a color of ginger ale, pleasing appearance of the rising bubbles, creamy white head that does not last. Smell isn't too pleasing, sweet malt presence and metal. Taste also has a certain sweetness to it. Pretty rough feel. It is pretty decent for a cheap beer though, and the high abv isn't a bad thing.

2.41/5  rDev +0.8%

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then 1,000 beer reviews must be worth 1,000,000 pictures. Whatever the exchange rate may be, I find myself about to write my 1,000th review. Here I am deep into my journey of discovering beer, but in reality I've just scratched the surface. This will still probably be true by the time my 10Kth review is completed. In a way it seems fitting that this beer was chosen to commemorate this momentous occasion. Back to basics. Steel Reserve was not my first beer, but it does well to represent the sentiment that I had with my first beer (getting drunk with whatever was available).

Poured into a snifter (why the hell not?). 8.1% variety.

3.5 A: I must say that this isn't a bad looking brew. Clear light yellow color. Two fingers of surprisingly creamy white head. Retention isn't bad and some spotty lacing is left behind.

2.5 S: Dry, dusty graininess. Mild sweet corn. Not much else so not anything else to write.

2.0 T: Corny sweetness is the strongest flavor with some neutral malt second. This could use some more bittering hops to round out the flavor.

3.0 M: I'm quite impressed here. Light body, but it has a touch of creaminess, which I wasn't expecting. The carbonation is at a reasonable level, which I find even more surprising.

2.5 D: This isn't a good beer, but it's a hell of a lot better than I remembered it being. Perhaps it's no longer mentally associated with me drinking way too much of this in highschool and puking all over Pittsburgh. In any case, I thought this review would allow me to do some of my best bitching, but really this is just a top end beer from a really vile style.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company