Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 562
1.73/5  rDev -30%

A- This is super clear, and yellow grass in color. The head starts out super white, and is pretty much non existent....settling to a patchy, fizzy thin layer over the brew! Carbonation looks to be heavy, and the lacing is surprisingly good! Overall not the best looking beverage, but it's no worse than your typical BMC!

S- Smells very very sweet, with some overripe apple cider quality, and syrupy boiled corn water and boiled potatoes. There is no hop presence available, and again, to my surprise, the alcohol content is not really noticeable. Again, aside from being primarily of sweet syrupy adjunct with a bit of fruitiness, it's not much worse than a typical macro!

T- Brrr (head shaking), this is terrible! My wife feels that this is pretty tasteless, pun intended....I on the other hand taste nothing but sugary sweet alcohol and aluminum....bleh! This has a taste that resembles the smell of wet rotting garbage, boiled in sugar water! Every drink makes me quiver in fear of the next sip!

M- Cloying medium body with a lingering coating of sugar water....this gets thicker as it warms up, and develops more stomach churning alcohol character too...

O- Terrible hot garbage was created when the powers that be came up with this one! Now I really don't want the hobo lifestyle if this is what I have to look forward to...not that I wanted it before. Even my wife groaned when she asked if we were done with the bottle after pouring her and I a glass each. I'd rather take my chances on getting hammered drinking Bud Select 55 all night. I'd still drink this over Bavaria 8.6 Red...I feel bad for this company....reading the inside of their label, they really think they've brewed a quality product...

2.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's late at night. You've run out of beer and 7-11 is your only option. You could get a Fosters, or....you could run with Steel Reserve.

As a last resort and for the price, it's not a bad beverage. Sure it's some convenience store special, but to be honest, it's not much worse than DFH Midas Touch.

2.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is foamy but that goes away fast. The body is a pale gold color. It has a thin mouthfeel. The aroma does smell like corn right off the bat. It smells like pure adjunct but you can’t be mad that is the name of the game in this style of “beer”. There is some bitterness but it is more alcohol like bitterness not hops. The feel has a burn to it both from the carbonation and the alcohol. There is like petrol like aftertaste. What do you expect for the price. It is not bad if you just want to get messed up.

3.1/5  rDev +25.5%

A - Bright brassy yellow. High clairity, Cloudy bleached white head. Almost no lacing.

S - Smells are of loose wet leaves and unidentified vegetable matter. Not much in the way of malts, even adjunct ones. Nor is there much hoppiness. There is kind of a mild bready sugary smell but just barely. While this is not unpleasant it is also not appetizing.

T - Initially mild sweetness. Middle and end tastes are non-existent. As in, I really can't taste much at all in this beer. I don't dislike this but I wish it had more character.

M - Slightly watery, slightly spicy and with a tiny bit of burn. As it warms it gets slightly more thick and malty.

D - Overall surprisingly good. Good for the price of course, but also good for this style and not bad all-around.

3.18/5  rDev +28.7%

Labeled with a date, "Best before Oct3111" Phew....this beer is still good. At the time of this review, this beer is the most reviewed Malt Liquor on Beeradvocate, also the #19 top American Malt Liquor on the best of Malt Liquor list also #83 on the "Bottom of the Barrel" list...this is what I call a "super tick."

Beer served out of a clear bottle into a Golden Pheasant (ZlatyBazant) glass. Beer is yellow and clear with strong carbonation, a thin head of small white bubbles, no lacing, but the head has some retention, looks like beer.

Aroma is mildly sweet, mildly alcoholic, mildly corn....ummmm...OK, not the worst Malt Liquor I've smelled, perhaps a slight bitterness....what the hell is this going to taste like.

OK, so I've been away from "Bad Beer Thursdays" for a few months but I have to say....I'm glad I didn't get the 40 ounce, instead I opted for the 22 FL oz. Beer is super sweet up front, corny and dry on the finish, almost nothing in between, there is an almost plastic like flavor, artificial, fake, in the middle that carries the beer through. Completely uninteresting. I suppose drinkable if I wanted to get crunked, but otherwise a total avoid.

2.37/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes: 7/15

I picked up this beer at a gas station because I'd heard it wasn't terrible for a malt liquor, and I've never had it. Not to mention, the 24 oz only set me back a cool $1.39.

A - Poured this into the tall weizen glass. A clear golden straw with lively carbonation, and a surprisingly thick white head. A touch of lacing is left on the glass but not much. This looks better than many beers I've had. Doesn't look half bad in the glass.

S - A touch of malts, more adjuncts, more alcohol.. A little musty. Just straight up nasty smelling. The most unappealing aspect of this brew.

T - Taste is of sweet corn and alcohol. This is the most alcohol dominant 8% beer I've ever tasted, but I can't expect too much for what I paid. It is rather smooth though, as notified on the can. The hop bite is surprisingly there, but easily taken over by cloying corn flavors and warming alcohol. Not horrible, but definitely not one of the better beers I've recently had.

M - This is an aspect of the beer that helped a lot. My can seemed pretty heavily carbed and had decent body. This helped with hiding some of the flavor aspects of the beer that were terrible.

Overall, I am glad I tried this. Hell, it's the only beer I had of the night, and I got a decent buzz. I just don't wanna have to down another one anytime soon. This is a beer that I would recommend to very few people, though I think any fan of beer should try it.

1.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Purchased for a single dollar from a Stockton Corner-Store on a hot afternoon and "enjoyed" out of a paper bag while waiting for a train to catch with some of my Fraternity Brothers. Is there a more perfect time and place to drink an 8.1% Malt Liquor? I certainly can't think of one.

A- Not applicable for this tasting, but from others I recall a Pale Golden color, Minimal lacing, with light carbonation visible. This could be the archetype for American Macrobrew.

S- Sharply alcoholic, with the unmistakable aroma of rotting vegetables, corn and sugar. Not quite the smell I would expect while approaching the gates of Beer Hell, but close.

T- Lots of corn, highly alcoholic, with the off-putting carachter of Banana-Bready esters, which fate to a pungent petroleum. Certainly not the worst thing I've drank, but not terribly impressive either.

M/O- It's a malt liquor. Oily mouth-feel, slight prickle of carbonation. Good for a hot day, if you're trying to get drunk, or if a 16 oz can is retailing for a single dollar. Certainly not a beer to be savored, but not the worst beer I've ever drank by far.

If I had to define a place by this beer, it would be: Stockton.

3.74/5  rDev +51.4%

Purchased as part of a joke for a malt liquor tasting

A- crystal clear golden yellow color

S- some corn, but mostly malty/ bready

T- more bitter than you might think, which equates to it being balanced. Tastes slightly corny, and very bready. Similar to a sweeter, less hoppy imperial pilsner. Hides its ABV fairly well.

M- Carbonation was perfect for the beer. It leaves a slight slickness on the palate and is not at all thin.

O- I'm shocked; I was expecting complete nastiness and a drain pour. It's really not bad. I'd take it over many of the six packs and bombers I've bought over the years.The clerk probably was wondering what was wrong with me...Founders porter, La Fin Du Monde, Dreadnaught, and Steel Reserve.

2.86/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Crisp golden color with a nice big malty head of foam.

S: Grain corn rice and a very pleasant bittering hop detection.

T: Sweet and malty but a definite bittering in there of hop.

M: Creamy medium bodied with a lower than I expected carbonation level.

O: Surprisingly fairly good ok...ish ,makes me feel cheep but think it will end up being a secret passion.

Lets be honest about this... we know why we like it %.%%ABV
But is is smooth.

1.94/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a pale golden, crystal clear with a big foamy head. Not bad looking to be honest.

The nose is like a pale lager, crisp and hoppy, with a completely undiscernable malt. Seems almost like corn. Boozey.

First taste is... well now I'm really getting hung up on the corn flavor. Malty sweet with not as much hop character as the smell led me to believe. The ABV is not hidden at all, but doesn't rule the flavor either. I still can't discern much of what the malt is made of.

Lingering pale malt sweetness and a bit of bittering around the edges. Thicker in body and fairly smooth and pretty easy to drink, with a decent alcohol kick, but overall not as bad as I was expecting. For what it's worth, this product does exactly what it is intended to do.

2.66/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a giant 24oz. can into a nonic pint glass. ABV listed as 8.10%. Bought literally one block cold from the freezer from the corner liquor store in my hood to my table. If they didn't have any... I could walk another block to the other liquor store, or the one after that, or the one after that.... OR THE one after that and get another. Date good till Oct 17th 2011. This giant silver can looks like a lethal weapon, hopefully that isn't a premonition of things to come and I'll be able to live after this experience. I almost feel bad for this because a few hours ago I was enjoy a bottle of KBS but... there you have it.

Out of the can she pours a very big four finger but soapy head that disappears very quickly. The head bubbles are large. Body is a simple gold, almost pale straw but not so pale, and my glass frosts. There is no lacing on this glass at all, and it has large bubbles of carbonation from the bottom that stop as soon as the head is gone. Head falls to nothing very quickly. Out of the can it looks like something watery is coming.

Bouquet. No.. a bouquet employs goodness. Roses have a bouquet, this has a smell. What is that dam smell? Vegetative, slightly buttery diacetyl, but mostly over cooked veggies. Faint sweet malts behind but we're getting into some solid DMS territory here. It's off putting let's just say that. Almost a corn like syrup sweetness smell too after a few sips.

Taste.. surprising. There's some body here which I was not expecting. There's a hint of bread on the swallow, but a very metallic mid palate feeling of solvent. Surprisingly not boozy tasting or feeling either, but still extremely wet. Very dry on the tongue also after a couple sips, but a real cotton mouth feeling after awhile which brings my mouthfeel score down considerably. That dryness just kills me and wont give up, it's all over/in my mouth and really unpleasant.

You could do a lot worse, but this is not something I would ever try again. I also can't believe it only cost me 3 bucks for two of these ginormous cans, I can't even remember the last time I paid that LITTLE for beer. If you put a bullet to my head and said drink this if you want to live (and that's assuming I want to live) then sure I could do it, lord knows I have had much better, but I know I've had worse.

3.14/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
24oz. Can 8.10%abv

This pours a slightly dark, straw yellow color. It has light hinbts of orange and amber, which make it a couple of shades darker then the average macro lager. It produces a two-finger head of bone-white colored foam, which is loose and frothy. The retention is okay and the lacing is in thin strand that are actually somewhat sticky.

The smell is absolutely unappealing. Very grainy and sweet, almost in a lacto-sort of way. Like having Kix cereal, not finishing it so you put it in the fridge, then come back to it the next day. It has a slight hint of bile to it, as well. Hints of malts are peaking through the surface, but even they don't really seem to help this smell.

Thankfully, the flavor is not nearly as bad as the smell. It is still very grain heavy and has a good deal of sweetness to it. It's not overly sweet though, as was expected. Light notes of citrus fruits. A medicinal quality alcohol presence. As it warms, a definite apple-juice flavor profile comes on, fairly prominently.
It's suprising in it's ability to NOT completely be horrible.

This is on the high end of medium-bodied. It has quite a high level of carbonation, filled with both the expected medium-sized bubbles and some unexpected smaller-sized bubbles. This keeps it crisp and slightly refreshing, yet has a slight touch of creaminess in its' finish.

Overall, a beer that I could most likely drink again. However with such a plethora of better choices available in the market, I can't imagine that I will.

2.85/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - light golden in color, clear, no carbonation and almost no foam at all.

Smell - very cereal-like. No malt or hop flavor to the smell at all.

Taste and Mouthfeel - oddly enough it affects more of the taste buds on the side of the tongue than I would have expected. Otherwise, no taste at all really. The "taste" may be from the higher abv. Texture is a bit more well-balanced than I would have thought, but still a little more toward the watery side.

Overall - good abv, but for what you get from that there's almost no taste. Nothing interesting about the beer.

3.65/5  rDev +47.8%

24oz can poured into pint glasses. Very slight haze in a goldenrod body topped with a frothy snow-white head. Faint rings of lacing with low retention, leaving a thin white layer. Nose of malt and corn, a bit of dirty yeast, slight band-aid phenol. Medium-thick mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Sweet corn up front, but the real action happens when it goes down. The corn kicks into high gear with a sharp grass and bright hay in the back of the throat and there's a quick smidge of bright floral, as if the small amount of hops are trying very hard to say hi. Very short finish, and it's just corn.

Very smooth as claimed, and hides the alcohol very well. Surprisingly flavourful compared to macro lagers, though single-minded. Becomes sickeningly sweet as it warms. Can only be drank ice cold. One of the better malt liquors I've had. For the price I can't complain.

1.13/5  rDev -54.3%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a small white head. Has LOTS of carbonation visible.

Smells strongly of fruit and alcohol. Mostly smells sort of like old berries or perhaps a very sweet wine.

The taste is very distinctive. I don't think this could ever be mistaken for any other malt liquor I've had. The first thing that hits is a strong sweet flavour of expired fruit. That is followed by a chemically alcohol and fusel alcohol flavour and the aftertaste is that of cheap bread. I wish the initial flavour was more akin to the aftertaste. This has a highly chemical taste. It just tastes unnatural, like it wasn't even brewed, but made by some freaky science designed to kill hobos. I'm a fan of the bite in this beer, but I'm too scared of it to buy it again. I feel like it might dissolve my body from the inside. We'll see.

2.77/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought at a gas station and drank out of the can which is the way this brew is meant to be enjoyed IMO. It was what you'd expect a malt liquor to look (like a can) and smell like (corn adjuncts and alcohol) except that it is exceptionally smooth with almost no aftertaste. Cheers to Steel Brewing for somehow figuring out how to do this with such a non-premium beer. I have had this many times in the past and will continue to have it when only having pocket change and wanting a beer. For what it is, it does it very well.

1.15/5  rDev -53.4%

Horrible yellow appearance, little fizzy head, no lace, retention. Aroma was abhorrent, industrial grade cleaner smell.

Taste is like corn broth from a can, cooked. Pretty sweet. No hops, almost no malt bill. One of the grossest bitter aftertastes ever, full of fusel alcohol. Seems like a boilermaker was made with this and some vodka in a plastic bottle. Lots of carbonation, how did this not make a head? The carbonation keeps the shit taste from riding even longer in your mouth. Cheap price, not much else going on for this 'beer'. Ugh.

3.9/5  rDev +57.9%

I'll have to agree with the Bros on this one. We've been drinking this beer for a while on "special occasions" and its become one of our dirty little secrets. I smoke meats which becomes an all-day event. Since the hops in this brew are so low and we drink it out of cans, there is no skunking problem and the alcohol delivery is appropriate to the activity.

Recently we've noticed a distinct improvement in the product with a lightening of the body, an improvement in yeast by products (lower fusels and esters) and a much cleaner, lighter and crisper finish, not unlike a Belgian tripel. No, this is not Belgian style beer but there are some similarities and I often pour it into a Belgian glass and present it to friends to see their reaction, most all aren't fooled but get the comparison.

You can pour it into a glass, I usually use a Belgian goblet, but, its totally optional and probably does not improve the experience. It pours a nice golden with a sprightly carbonation with a thin wispy head.

The aroma is malt dominated with notes of corn and yeasty spice. This is one of the areas of recent improvement.

The body is medium full, another area of improvement. It really begs to be gulped and goes down very smoothly, in spite of its carbonation.

The finish is now decidedly dry for a beer of such body. The finish is relatively clean with a presence of alcohol, malt smoothness and a little yeasty spicy funk.

Overall, this is a Malt Liquor of the highest order. Its 8.1% alcohol is formidable in 16 and 24 ounce cans. While it may not be totally respectable in all social occasions, it has a place and time. Considering the price... as long as no one is looking, give it a try really cold.

1.24/5  rDev -49.8%

Had one of these babies out in the pasture after a hard day cutting mesquite firewood. A buddy thought it would be neet to try one of these in a 24 oz can. I told him the ABV was 8.1 so it would be a pretty stout beer, but he insisted since on the side of the can it read "made from the finest barley, and hops".

I will give it the benefit of the doubt of average for the appearance, since it was in a can and I was only able to peer into the top of the can to look at it...nothing jumped out and attached itself to my face.

1.5 on the smell. Got just a hint of malt and alcohol. They must have forgot to add the "finest hops" to this particular batch of 211.

Taste 1.0 sort of a greasey taste that stuck to the palate. Had a couple of drinks of it and decided to put it back in the cooler to maybe let it breath a little and maybe get a little colder. That was unsuccessful. Someone in the group said the taste was of strawberries...I absolutly got nothing like that.

Mouthfeel 1.0 I felt like chewing on an oak leaf to try to get that unique mouthfeel out of my mouth. It was a sticky feel that would simply not go away.

Overall 1.0 Catchy big 24 oz can in an iced down cooler looks pretty cool, but this is most definatly the worst beer I haver ever drank....

2.26/5  rDev -8.5%

This is a blast back to college. I actually never much got into Steel Reserve, but for many of my friends it was a way of life on Friday nights, the doorway to many magical and horrible experiences. I've come back to it today to really see what we were getting ourselves into back then.

Drank from the 24oz can.

S: Sweet and kind of alcohol-y. There a sweet corn note in the back and a metallic twang all the way through. As usual you can smell this one from quite a distance. It's the smell of hobos on the subway, laughing hoarsely at something invisible. It's the smell of the bottom of a beer pong cup - of horrible humiliaiting defeat.

T: Kind of sweet up front and then grainy with a very coarse character going down. Alcohol isn't even hidden here, cut right through the corn and the "extra malted barley" and the "select hops for extra gravity." It's like injecting alcohol directly into your bloodstream, which is really the point. And actually I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried that before.

M: Average. No worse or better than any other macro or malt liquor.

Overall: It's strange coming back to this one. So many of these downed by friends and I back in the day. We never stopped to think about what we were actually drinking, just trying to get drunk. I can see why we didn't stop to think about it now. This one is made to chug, made to make you fall over as soon as possible.

1.88/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I have consumed a lot of malt liquor in my time, but strangely, never this one. It's a cold rainy weekend and I'm already fighting with the wife, so this seemed to fit the situation. Can says 6.0%.

No head, no bubbles, no nothing. More or less par for the course. Nose is corny adjunct and base malts. No frills, no hops.

The incredibly thin mouthfeel is the first thing I notice. Big, cringe inducing blast of sweet corn malt overpowers anything else that might want to have a say in the flavor. Surprisingly, the finish isn't horrible and saves this from a drain pour.

It is still, however, very, very bad. Swallowing fast is quite key. Here is betting that my throat and stomach will be charging me with abuse in the morning.

2.04/5  rDev -17.4%

As a college kid on spring break and a budget, I thought it was a no brainer to get this stuff. At $2.50 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans, this stuff is very cheap.

A- Poured into some fine china, a solo cup, it looked just like the bud light my friend was drinking. A pale yellowish golden color, with a thick foamy white head the dissipated after a few sips.

S- As I pulled the cup towards my mouth, I took wiff of the aroma. I had to balk at my first sip cause the smell was unbelievable. All I could smell was booze. There is a little bit of a bitter hop smell which doesn't mix well with the high octane alcohol smell.

T- The very first sip was not the best I've ever had. It had a lot of carbonation and an alcohol burn on the finish. Really couldn't pick up many flavors other than corn and of course that malty sweet taste. But those flavors where immediately masked by the alchy finish.

M- Although the taste wasn't very good, the mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth. Slightly carbonated and fizzy. Again, the alcohol burn is present here.

Overall, I would say this beer is a success for what I was trying to accomplish, get drunk. I would not want to have this with a meal, as a refreshing drink, or in polite company (its not classy at all). For the purpose of a drink to start a long night of fun, it did the job. They keep calling four loko "blackout in a can" but drink enough of Steel Reserve and it puts that claim to shame. I've learned my lesson.

The first time I had a Steel Reserve was four years ago. My buddy and I were wondering what to get a cheap buzz off and this older gentleman mentioned Steel Reserve. It's cheap beer to get you drunk fast. At 99 cents we bought about ten. Back then, it tasted pretty awful but I'm going to review it now and try to be fair.

Big White head dissipating very quickly. Looks decently carbonated. Light golden color. Nothing really special.

Sugar, grain, malts and buscuits. There is even a faint fruit smell as well. Not a bad smell at all.

Yikes! Grain, buscuits, fruit and booozzzeeee! It tastes like spiked Apple Juice. Awful!

Light to almost medium body. Medium carbonation. Leaves the lips very sticky.

I can only drink half of this. Awful taste due to the overpowering of booze. Alcohol warmth can be felt going down as if you had a shot of Vodka. I will never have this again.

2.36/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into an Irish Style pint glass.

A - This beer pours a bright gold color, with a 5 finger, bright white soapy head. This beer surprisingly enough does leave some lacing. Very very carbonated at first but dies down pretty quickly.

S - Very stale smelling. Smells like a typical malt liquor with some hops. A slight bit of a sour smell, but not skunky like the bottle can be.

T - The taste is really not the greatest. To me it tastes like a sour green apple oatmeal. I understand this beer is high gravity, but it seems that there is just too much of what should not bee there. The alcohol taste is very noticable on the finish and is not masked at all. The taste is not crisp, and can make you pucker up a bit. But I have tasted worse for sure.

M - The mouthfeel is like a traditional lager. Light bodied with some carbonation that dies down. Mouthfeel is better when poured out, for sure. Not much else to say.

D - This beer is meant to be drank as a quickly and in larger quanities, with regards to the 40 oz. version, however I feel this beer is rather difficult to drink. The sour aftertaste and alcohol presence is just off-puting for me.

O - If you're looking for a cheap beer to get you drunk, then this is IT. Not much else to say. Dont expect quality here. But, it is what it is.

Pours a nice yellow color, nice carbonation, little fizzy white head, with minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda sweet, ricy/corny. The taste is sweet, kinda malty, ricy. Medium body, with a slight bitter finish. Not Drinkable, not bad, but still....

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company