Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)
2.38/5
Poor
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
steelbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 1,224 |  Reviews: 566
3.06/5  rDev +28.6%

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) brewed by Steel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 8.10% This brew pours out a deep golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is rich with malts,grains and some minor hops. There is a strong alcohol sweetness in the smell of this brew. This brew has the look and smell of most Malt liquors/ High Gravity Lagers on the market. Now I'm not saying that is bad thing. The taste of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) is bitter sweet with malts and grains. I mean a lot of malts. You can definitely pick up on the high 8.10% ABV in this brew. For what it is worth it not horrible, I have had a lot worse. However this is definitely not one of my top brews. The mouth feel of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) , is Bold, Malty, Alcohol. Nothing to write home about but it is worth a review. Kinda on the fence with this one. It is a harder brew to drink, but if you like malt liquor this might be one to look up. Overall I'm giving Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) a 3 out of 5. I would buy this brew again if it was the only thing I could get at the time. Steel Brewing Company, did an ok job with this one.

3.03/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty shitty beer in general, but it's actually not entirely horrible. It does have a bit of it's own character in terms of being relatively well hopped in a way that hides the alcohol. It doesn't really have that winey taste that is characteristic of some high alcohol brews. Other than that though, there really isn't anything that good about it or any reason to drink it, unless you're just looking for high alcohol content.

1.07/5  rDev -55%

2.56/5  rDev +7.6%

2.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.89/5  rDev +21.4%

3.44/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not sure why this is getting crushed in ratings. Nothing outstanding but nice sweet grainy flavor and easy to drink. Pretty clean finish, alcohol is not noticeable. Would drink again.

3.04/5  rDev +27.7%

I'm not a beer snob. I promise. I knew going into this that this wasn't the "king of taste and queen of amazing" so I kept an opened mind. After reading reviews I'm wondering if mine was skunked. It's a 40oz plastic bottle I had in the freezer for ~30 mins and poured a 6 finger head into my frosty glass. It quickly subsided as the taste took me by surprise. Slightly sweet but really bitter to me. No idea why but the after taste was not so good. Maybe I'm crazy? Overall it smelled and tasted alright, just too bitter apt the end for me.

1.69/5  rDev -29%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +57.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My reference point when reviewing malt liquors, I am a huge fan of malt liquors, most likely due to my love of malt scotches and other alcohols. The arrival is smooth and quite malty, it's sweeter than most beers I've drank but not unpleasant. Overall, Steel Reserve 211 lager is, in my opinion, the best baseline and reference point, when it comes to malt liquors. Nothing too special, but nothing to complain about.

3.52/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My go to for a good time. As an avid micro brew drinker, i can safely say that the concept and branding of Steel Reserve is its downfall for mainstream consumers. it is a very decent beer that surpasses the buds/coors of society. Buck up and try it as an adult.

3.1/5  rDev +30.3%

3.77/5  rDev +58.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can best by 10-24-16. DFH tulip.

A: pours a clear honey gold with 1 finger foamy white head. Few lazy bubbles coming up. Leaves some decent lacing. It is actually a fairly pretty beer.

S: grain like with something just a touch off; some say vegetal, some say chemical. I suppose that's appropriate for the style, and here it's not totally off- putting.

T: arrives pretty bland, then turns a little sweet across mid-palate; not excessively sweet, though. That vegetal character is there; kind of like an ashy character? Mind you, I tasted this at 39 degrees straight out of the fridge.

M: possibly the highlight of this brew. Quite mouth-filling, heavier side of midweight with active but not excessive carbonation and quite a clean finish, all things considered.

O: I have not had malt liquor in 12+ years, but I wanted to write a review, so I searched everywhere for Mickey's and Colt 45, both of which are rated higher than this. But I couldn't find them as singles, and this was at every single store I went to- from the snobby craft beer place to the carryouts in the hood. So my guess is that this is representative of the style today. That said, it is not a bad beer, if enjoyed as intended: cold. I am a fan of maltier beers, and a fan of lagers, and this is both - without being totally offensive. At $1.39, if you can stand the stink eye the cashier gives you when you buy it, it's pretty decent. As an aside - have you all noticed how many people who have rated this beer have ONLY ever rated this beer? Just saying.

1.93/5  rDev -18.9%

1.06/5  rDev -55.5%

2.14/5  rDev -10.1%

2.89/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I drank it straight from a 40oz bottle.

Smells sickly sweet, along with cooked apple, and a general vegetable smell. There's some grain, yeast, and alcohol as well.

The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell would lead you to believe. Medium carbonation. Thick, and somewhat sweet, with an almost apple cider like flavor. Then comes the cooked corn and vegetables, as well as an alcohol bite at the end.

It's not good. It's also not terrible and has a high ABV. If you can get over the smell, it serves it's purpose just fine. Seriously though, the smell is absolutely disgusting.

2.81/5  rDev +18.1%

2.1/5  rDev -11.8%

2.16/5  rDev -9.2%

This looks a shade darker than Budweiser with a 1/2 inch white head. This smells bad, and tastes just as bad - very strong, sweet alcohol smell and taste, which makes it hard to swallow. I had the 8.1% version and it only cost $1.17 for a 24 oz. can at Walmart, so I really can't complain too much. I made it through 1/2 a can, sewer got the rest.

1.47/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.15/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Well If you're looking for something that will get you drunk without breaking the bank you found it. Truth is I have had more than one of these in the past. Please, just save your pennies and buy something else cause this is only slightly better than drinking prison house hooch.

2.35/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company