Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kili Wit | Logsdon Farmhouse Ales

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales
Oregon, United States
farmhousebeer.com

Style: Witbier

"Our Kili Wit is a traditionally brewed white beer with refreshing flavors and creamy smoothness. This is a 100% certified organic beer brewed with local organic barley malt, wheat and oats along with whole cone Oregon hops and African spice. This beer is made with a portion of the proceeds going to the K2 Adventures Foundation that provides community service, medical and educational enrichment for African children."

Added by kscaldef on 01-09-2012

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.81/5  rDev -26.6%

A: Poured a cloudy yellowish color with great carbonation leaving a nice white fluffy cap, some good lacing clings to the glass

S: Rather tame. Some light funk, wheat, lemon and coriander

T: My first thought was..wheat, medium amounts of lemon and coriander. It's a bit dry with a lingering bitterness on the finish. It was very seltzery. There is nothing smooth or creamy about this beer.

M: Light bodied but overcarbed and seltzery. Tart, tangy, dry on the palate with hay and citrus

O: I would say this beer is average. y least favorite from Lgsdons so far.

3.09/5  rDev -19.3%

750ml bottle (KW 294) with an absolutely gorgeous label, sunset over Kilimanjaro, framed with some giraffe's (this brew donates some proceeds to an African charity). Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Kili Wit is a cloudy gold with a chunky white head leaving heavy, foamy lace.

Smell is complex, fruity esters and spicy. The label cites "African spices", which are clearly present, if not distinct to me. Wafts between nice fruit and unpleasantly muddled acridness.

Taste is also complex, dominated by the spiciness A little nutty, a touch of diacetyl, but mostly lots of citrus - is coriander from Africa? I'm getting a faint saltiness on the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is light and dry, light bodied to the borderline of being watery.

Drinkability is ok. This one just doesn't come together for me, is overly spiced, and generally disappointing. Bummer. My experience seems to differ with the few others whom had told me there thoughts on this beer, but I really consider this to be a style a know well, one of my favorites.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Too light-bodied for my taste, not complex enough. It was pleasant and easy to drink, with nice lemony flavours at the start but finishes pretty thin. The coriander didn't come through very strongly (unfortunately). Decent but not exceptional.

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Reviewing from notes after drinking on 3/27/2014. Enjoyed out of a brown 750 mL brown bottle with a standard cap; no wax enclosure on this one. Marked with a 'best by' date of September 2014, so plenty of time for this one before it's supposedly over the hill. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler--which is what I've always understood to be the "proper" glass for a witbier--in spite of the bottle's recommendation to use something more like a tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, so good. Standard pour reveals a healthy two finger head of bleached white suds with bubbles that begin to expand almost immediately, giving a webbed Swiss cheese look to the head with slight pocking up top. Beneath the head sits an ideally-colored sunny straw yellow body with a nice dusty haze that gives allows enough light to provide some spun gold highlights with the lemony body. Lacing is present, but light, with some faint sticky traces on the side of the glass.

Smell - Hrm, this is the first sign that I'm not going to love this one. I really like to get a sense of the spicing with wits, otherwise I'd reach for a hefe or a standard wheat beer. This one has some undertones of the citrusy coriander spicing, but they are taking a far backseat to what comes across to me as lots of bready, wheaty tones. On the positive side, I do get the more rustic notes of oat, which is a little different for a witbier and provides a focal point of interest. But really, I need more spicing from my witbiers.

Taste - The taste picks up where the nose left off, with the predominant characteristics coming from the grain bill. Wheat, oats, barley all provide for a rustic, alfalfa-esque characteristic to this beer. The citrus and spicing are very muted, almost nonexistent. I've never had a beer with "African" coriander to my knowledge--maybe it is a more subtle strain of the common wit spice? The other thing that is not working in this beer's favor is that it lacks the pinch of tartness that puts witbiers firmly on that line between sour and non-sour styles. Some of my favorite wits have just enough of a twinge of sour to make them interesting. Nothing that will pucker your tastebuds, just a subtle hint of that flavor profile. St. Bernardus does a good example of this tartness.

Mouthfeel - Pretty on par for what a witbier should be--light bodied and moderate carbonation, although perhaps a bit higher in CO2 than expected. Semi-dry finish.

Overall, I was actually really excited to try this based on my prior experiences with Logsdon. This one just doesn't really hit the mark for me as far as the style goes. I might feel differently had I not come in with witbier expectations, as it was a reasonably tasty beer in it's own right, just not good enough to wear the style that has been selected.

3.34/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a two finger white head that fades very slowly leaving a good lace. Murky light amber color, ton of yeast left in bottle. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Lemon and yeast nose and flavor is tart lemon, some yeast and hints of coriander. Expensive at $19.95 (includes a glass) for a 750ml bottle from Made in Oregon Portland, Or.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The bottle was opened 03/02/14. Best by date is 09/2014

A: I poured this witbier into a small tulip, so there was some difficulty in swirling the bottle in order to include some yeast in the first glassful. Therefore, initially it was a clear golden color with a nice 1.5 finger white head full of small dense bubbles. After the first glass, which allowed for some room to swirl the bottle, the color went from a clear kristall to cloudy witbier. The head left nice lacing.

S: Tons of apple juice. Maybe a little hay or straw. I'm not finding much of the coriander, although it is there. I'm having difficulty getting through the apple juice.

T: It is rather delicate before the yeast is included in the pour. Once the yeast is included, there is some phenol spice, but not enough. Apple juice and some funk.

M: Medium-light. On the mark and really the highlight of the beer. Nice carbonation and some light creaminess.

O: I may be off the mark here based on the ratings of others, but I just couldn't get the apple juice flavor out of my head. It felt like I was trying to find a witbier in a glass of apple juice. I don't know. I know this one doesn't have the same rep as the Logsdon saisons, of which I'm a huge fan of the Logsdon Seizoen Bretta, but I thought it would have been better. I'll continue to try anything I can from these guys.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml poured into a cervoise. The brew appears a clouded light yellow color with a frothy white cap that stands nearly 3 fingers strong. The cap fades leaving a sudsy full wall of lace on the glass. Overall, she looks perfect for the style.

The aroma is zesty with lemon-like coriander, wheat, sulfur and some earth. There is quite a solid yeastiness to this brew. As it warms up, a little pepper and clove comes through.

The taste is mutually yeasty with an earthen feel. Lemon-like coriander, sulfur, clove and pepper are all noticed mid-palate. Lightly straw-like and grassy into the finish. As it warms up, mild fruit suggestions like pear or apple skins come out in a very subtle way.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is an easy going wit that isnt too shabby but isnt really memorable either. As it breaths, it gets a little soapy which I didnt care for.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%