Peche 'n Brett | Logsdon Farmhouse Ales

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales
Oregon, United States
farmhousebeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Our Seizoen Bretta oak aged and loaded with tons of local organic peaches (a pound and a half per gallon).

First released in 750ml bottles May 2012.
Second release in January 2013.
Third Release - February 2014

Added by msubulldog25 on 05-08-2012

4.4

Ratings: 1,337 |  Reviews: 176
Reviews by inlimbo77:
4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml, BBD 12/2017
Hill Farmstead

A: Hazy bright orange color. Got about a a half finger of bright white head. Faded into a layer and then a ring around edges. Some sticking lacing.

S: Smells of full on Brett. Not getting as much peach character as I was expecting. What's there is that fresh peach flesh. Wheat. Some pepper notes As it warms, more wet hay from the Brett.

T: Up front you don't get the tartness I was expecting. You get the sweet apricot wheat and thin malts. In the back end you get some tartness from the Brett. Definitely getting that soft oak aging. Rounded flavor. Dry finish.

M: Medium bodied.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

BOTTLE: Beeswax coated pry-off crown cap. Purchased at a bodega in Brooklyn for a wallet-annihilating $40.00 USD. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass. Orange colourful label art. Bottle #20020. Best by 10/2020.
'
10% ABV. "Oak aged organic ale brewed with peaches." Brewed with peaches and brettanomyces. "Final refermentation with pear juice."

Expectations are extremely high given my love for the brewery and this beer's presence on the top 250 beers list.

HEAD: ~3 fingers worth of white head. Frothy, creamy, gorgeously soft, and of great complexion. Consistency is terrific. Retention is excellent - ~8+ minutes.

BODY: Pale murky orange of okay vibrance. I see no yeast or sediment within, but it definitely appears unfiltered.

Appears well-carbonated. It's a nice looking beer and captures the lively unfiltered look of a great saison, but I can't say the vibrance of the body colour is on par with that of the best expressions of the style.

AROMA: Soft orchard peaches, orange sherbert, soft juicy pear, creamy notes, pale malts. The soft luscious peach is impeccable, elevating this aroma easily to world class level. Promises a juicy peachy genuine brew with absurd depth and expressiveness of flavour.

Any oak is too subdued to be noticeable. Sweetness/bitterness balance seems perfect. Nectary juicy goodness is the highlight of this aroma; I'm salivating just awaiting the first sip.

Aromatic intensity is perfect (mild to moderate).

No overt hop notes; maybe some seamless fruity tones. Yeast character has an incredibly subtle funky bend without distracting. As soft and delicate an aroma as they come.

No off-notes or overt alcohol.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Creamy soft peach, smacky lactic tartness (was the brettanomyces used lambicus? This is straight-up sour), evocative expressive orchard peach, soft juicy luscious pear, subtle yeasty dryness (bringing just enough to coax more depth of flavour out of this brew without making it drag on the palate), and creamy peach sherbert.

Hides its 10% ABV angelically well, hiding any alcohol beneath layers of billowing softness. Couldn't be more delicate or gentle on the palate. Perfectly smacky on the palate, making the slight tart sourness sing. Comfortingly soft. This mouthfeel may be perfect; rarely do I encounter such harmony of softness, fragility, and body. It's so light it's insanely drinkable, it's aptly smooth and wet, and carbonation is perfect.

Malt backbone melts into the dominant fruity tones, letting them take the spotlight. This is as gestalt a flavour profile as I've ever encountered, blending every constituent note together in a layered cohesive way, elevating the whole above the sum of its parts. The peach sings.

Noticeable acidity.

Sourness is maybe a 4/10, which is ideal for a saison in my view. It lacks any drying funkiness, and there aren't too many fruity esters mucking with the fruity focus of the brew. Balance is perfect. Depth of flavour is excellent. Duration of flavour is high for the style. Intensity of flavour is moderate. I can't get enough of this stuff.

OVERALL: Logsdon outdoes themselves with this stellar brew. This is possibly the best saison I've had from any brewery in North America, and I can't vet its quality enough. It's earned its position on the current top 250 list, and I'd heartily recommend it to any discerning drinker - even at its seemingly obscene $40/bottle price. When I think of true perfection in terms of texture, this beer will be amongst the first to pop into my head. Its juicy softness accentuates the peach emphasis of the brew beautifully. Awingly good - ineffably so. Just fuckingly delicious. I find myself inhaling this and simultaneously being shocked by its 10% - how is this so effortlessly drinkable at that high an ABV?

Nitpicky as I am with great beers, I have to admit I struggle to find many issues with this aside from petty things like appearance. At a certain point, excellence becomes undeniable.

This is what we talk about when we talk about beer as art.

Low A+ (4.71) / MUST TRY (WORLD CLASS)

***
07.26.17 2nd impressions from a batch # 27857 bottle:

Less sour/tart than the last bottle I tried. A little less balanced, with too much sweetness.

B / GOOD

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Yea man I just rated the smell a 5, but it should be a 10

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Shared at my Birthday whale tasting. I shared this one, thanks to HaveUSeenMyCellar.

Pours a light fizzy head that barely comes, hazy peach color.

Nose has some Brett funk, horsehair, light peaches, fruity but funky, canned peaches but light.

Taste starts funky, wild Brett but not super funky, nice juice, fresh canned peaches, esters and hint of phenols, grainy bready yeasty, smooth and doesn't drink like 10% at all, finish is juicy, light bitterness, peach, syrupy and sticky, light dusty oak.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall not bad, but not as good as I expected. Drinks well, but peaches are too light, and funk isn't as much as I expected either.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best by 01/2020 (guess I'm a bit hasty)

Look - Pours a lovely, foggy burnt orange with a nice off white head. Good distribution, nice retention. Excellent clinging. 4.75 paws.

Smell - Holy moly, you can't put your nose within a foot of the glass without smelling the peaches and cream aromas. Once your in there it's all peach, like canned peaches in syrup, likely from the pear juice. So fresh and vibrant, wonderful. 5 paws.

Taste - The peaches are more subdued than on the nose, but are most definitely there. It finishes amazingly dry, a bit of a wonder they were able to retain so much peach flavor and aroma without making the beer cloyingly sweet. A bit of yogurt funk, bitter hop undertones, and lingering bitterness. Subtle peppery spice, pear comes through on the finish. 4.5 paws.

Feel - Medium to full bodied, slightly viscous and grainy. Little carbonation. 4.5 paws.

Overall - A tremendously enjoyable beer, I would be very curious to see how it ages. I'm sure the peach aroma would fade, but the brett more developed brett character could add many layers of complexity. 4.75 paws.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The aroma smacks of peach rings. Peach juice, peach candy, peach flesh, it is mostly dominated by that with some wheat and Brett in the back.

The flavor is very different as the beer offers pear juice, a touch of peach flavor, lots of intense metallic-like Brett flavor with a dry finish.

3.86/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I enjoyed this brew, just not quite as much as I expected. The brett is well done and not overpowering, but I found myself wanting more fresh peach out of it. It's there on the nose, but not enough for me in the taste. I had it on tap in Eugene, so I'm not sure when it was brewed, but I assume fairly recently. I doubt the peach has mellowed with age, I just think that's what Logsdon was going for. The alcohol is certainly well hidden. Perhaps I'll give it another shot and revised as warranted. For me, good but not great.

4.61/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

something about me and certain fruited wild ales that i just cant get over. this is one of the best ive ever had, a truly unique brew, maybe the best example of peaches in a beer ive ever seen. its hazy and pale, heady as they come, faint glowing orange. im smelling the fizzy ripe yellow peach, sweet and like nothing else nature produces. the brett is intense, mature, getting tart rather than just funky. there is also this creamy vanilla aroma that is supported by a heavy wheat malt base and patience. the flavor is an oh my god moment, or series of moments each sip. im floored by this, its so unique. the peaches and the brett are elevated well beyond where they have gone in other beers, to the point of being explosive on the palate. i like the bottle more and more as it drinks down too, the dregs being almost my favorite part because of how alive it all seems to be. the peaches and brett are the perfect combination, its just incredible. my mouth waters for more as i write this. effervescent carbonation and a puckery dry finish thats about as expressive as brett can be. nothing subtle about it, but expertly refined. i absolutely must get my hands on more of this magic!

edit: batches since my first taste have been markedly less impressive. more weirdness to the yeast, less true fruit, i dont know if this has changed or not, of if there is an ageing curve, but i liked this the most when i had it first, and will leave high scores in tact to reflect that, but i have yet to enjoy it nearly as much as the first time...

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Pours a very hazy and bright orange in color in the body. A head of about 1.5 fingers forms and retains for days, with pretty awesome lacing. The head is frothy and dense on top of the hazy body.

S- The peaches and brett hit the nose right away in a combo platter of juicy fruit and funk. There is a spicy element in the funk that is consistent with the flavor of the base beer. The peaches are a touch tart on the nose, but they are predominantly just juicy and fruity.

T- Starts off with a mild bang of semi-tart peaches. Just like in the scent, the peaches are more juicy and mild than tart. The spicy and funky base beer mixes in with the peaches and provides a depth of flavor. The funk picks up a little at the end of the drink and mixes with the peaches and gives an overall fruit orchard impression of the flavor.

M- Although the style of this beer is one generally associated with a light weight feel and high carbonation, this beer drinks incredibly smoothly. The carbonation is fairly high, but the weight of the beer makes this one feel way more smooth than the carbonation. There is no sign of the 10% ABV.

Overall, this is a fantastic fruited saison. I wasn't sure how I would like the peaches in the base since I didn't especially like the base beer, but the spice and funk really mellows and enhances the natural flavor of the fruit. This is a terrific beer.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to anadune for this one, super high up there on my "wants" list, glad to finally see this one go. I love peaches and I love Brett, so this beer should do me well. Pours a brilliant sunburst color with hints of golden-peach flowing about. Cloudy and opaque for the most part with a foamy white head that has decent retention.

Whoof! Talk about funk! The aroma hits hard, right out of the gate, and doesn't let up. Copious amounts of Brett just unleash and unload on the senses - barnyard funk, damp cellar, and wet hay. And then, of course, the peaches! There's a vibrant peach presence that underlines the funky body of the beer - it's sweet, juicy, and authentic, and perhaps most importantly - it's not overdone at all. Rather than control or overtake the aroma, the peaches just accent it, and inject their juicy goodness in a moderate but noticeable amount, a nearly perfect complement to the barnyard funk. Sweet and funky all at once - how can you not love that? The oak can be found once you "search" for it, and once you find it, it doesn't go away. Beautiful woody tones round out this excellently aromatic profile. Exquisite.

I couldn't have been more excited to finally bring this one to my lips... as soon as it hits my palate, the funk just plants itself in my mouth and never lets go. This bitch is SUPER funky; tons of barnyard, horsey sweat, musty earth, cheesy-funk... Absolutely crazy. The oak makes a big comeback and tastes much more robust than it smelled - works perfectly with the insane amounts of Brett that are going wild right now. And then again - just like an epiphany similar to the aroma - the peaches just squeeze their way in, quietly and unobtrusively, adding just the right amount of presence and flavor. Seriously, they could not have been added to this beer in a more perfect amount. Enough to tame the Brett and keep your taste buds working, but not enough to overpower and turn this thing into a peach cobbler.

I wouldn't necessarily describe this beer as "sour", but there certainly is a light tartness that hits you initially with the onslaught of Brett. By the time the peaches take the forefront, the tartness will have faded and the beer takes on a lovely sweetness that nicely combines with (and is probably aided by) the peach flavors. My friend and I were surprised to find out this beer was clocking in at 10% ABV - there's just no possible way that much alcohol can be masked so well. Honestly, this drinks just as easily as the Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen gueuzes we had previously, and those contain nearly half the alcohol. Peche n' Brett has a medium body; sharp, slick, and wet mouth feel with a medium-high amount of carbonation.

Wow, what a truly unique and amazing beer. Perfect amount of peaches and a nice compliment to their wonderful Brett profile. I thought this one was a huge improvement over the Seizoen Bretta (although that was still very good). Took me by surprise, but I hope I'll have the chance to enjoy this one again. Top notch.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.96/5  rDev +12.7%

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +8%

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Peche 'n Brett from Logsdon Farmhouse Ales