My Imaginary Girlfriend | Lost Rhino Brewing Company

Liked:
3.85/5
Alströms:

4.73/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Enjoying all of it, outstanding hop forward beer and lingering bitterness on the palate after each sip. Plus I'm bias since I've been to this brewery many times while living in Ashburn.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Beautiful menagerie of hops on the nose. Freshly plowed fields with sweet wildflowers, bursting with fresh citrus and honey.

MIG pours out a somewhat opaque honey color, rimmed with a white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a nice circle around the edges. Lacing is a bit spotty, but pretty.

Flavors of honey, lime, orange, orange zest, and slightly grainy on the finish. It's somewhat juicy, and all the flavors meld incredibly nicely. Quite flavorful and delicious!

Moderate carbonation and body on this one to match. It's not a sipping beer, but its not a session beer. I wouldn't drink too much of this in a sitting, but it would be tempting as it makes me delirious with joy. I need another.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great taste

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I had the opportunity to visit the Lost Rhino Brewery a month ago today (July 27th) while I was in the greater Northern Virginia Metropolitan Area, visiting my Sister and her husband. As a token of remembrance, and after taking a tour of the brewery itself, I picked up a deuce-deuce of MIG, to drink at a later date. Well, a month later, and about 7,000 miles away, I partook in a remembrance celebration, drinking this finely crafted IPA underneath the polluted night sky of the Central Korean Peninsula.

Poured from well-traveled bottle into a 6-ounce souvenir glass which was a parting gift of the brewery tour, the Ale came out lighter than I expected, especially given its 6%+ mathematical skills. With a rather heavy head, perhaps due to its pressurized trans-global shipping adventure, the beer still had a strong scent, emanating notes of citrus, with particular attention paid to the Grapefruit family. It was surprisingly light and fruity in both appearance and smell, two characteristics which would remain upon its consumption as well.

For an IPA, this beer brought it with regards to flavor, with the perfect mixture from the 4th Level Mage, and the flick of his 8-sided Polyhedral die. Hints of fruit masking any of the condescending tones set forth by the Hops, it was not only easy on the palate, but worked wonders on the mind as well. Silky smooove like Magic on a fast break, its mouthfeel complimented everything which had led up to that point.

The physical date with My Imaginary Girlfriend lasted about an hour, taking slow sips, as I stared up into the darkened night, only spotting one solitary star some 7,000 light years away. Yet the lingering after effects lasted for a good hour more, where I not only imagined I had a great time visiting this fantastic NoVa Brewery with a great Sister and Brother-in-law, but proof that it was not just my imagination, rather reality, as exemplified by the empty bottle on my desk...

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

You can smell and taste the hop flavor which is a tad heavy on the front end, it is slightly bitte on the back end. Color appears typical of an IPA golden unfiltered appearance. Not really something I would enjoy or recommend having with a meal however its OK for a nice evening beer

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 6/27/12
*From notes

-- Nice label, guys --

A: Cloudy 24k gold in hue, like most respectable West Coast IPA's should be. A generous pour yields a two finger white head that lingers and clings to the walls of the glass for some time.

S: Really juicy and luscious hops. I get some fresh, golden malt as well. I know LR was looking to create a West Coast IPA, and the nose is certainly leaning in the right direction.

T: Very juicy, though it could use more hop oil on the mid to finish, as it's just a bit stunted. But in the end, this is generously fruit forward, though a bit sweet on the finish. Again, the only knock here is that I wish the hops would linger a bit longer.

M: Right on. Well done here for sure. It's got a smooth, approachable texure with medium carbonation and lighter to medium weight.

O: Welcome to the party, Lost Rhino. I'm happy to say that this is one of...actually it may just be the best beer LH has yet to make. I hope that they return to this, as it'd be a sin to keep the good folks of Northern Virginia and beyond from this solid hoppy offering.

My Imaginary Girlfriend from Lost Rhino Brewing Company