Abraxas | Perennial Artisan Ales

Perennial Artisan Ales
Missouri, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout brewed with Ancho Chiles, Cacao Nibs, Vanilla Beans & Cinnamon Sticks.

2011 - 100 cases
2012 - 200 cases

Added by jmvecchio1 on 12-16-2011

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 2,268

Opened 11/27/14 slightly above room temp.

A: Jet black with minimal head. Poured thick.
S: Very hard to describe. Is that the alcohol heat I smell, the cinnamon, or the peppers? It all blends together. Second whiff I pickup some chocolate notes. Just a pleasure to smell.
T: Very similar to the smell. There is a spicy element that is a blend of heat and cinnamon on top of a roasted malt flavor.
M: Residual burn/sweetness that stays with you.
O: This beer is fantastic. It is a great blend of chilies and cinnamon such that both elements compete against one another, with neither gaining the upper hand. Definitely worth the praise it gets. The complexity this beer brings to the table blows other beers out of the water.

Edit: I've had this beer multiple times since original review, and it still impresses every time I have it. Some occasions I pick up more the cinnamon, while others a get a stronger chocolate presence. I should also add that the beer a some nice "legs" on the glass when swirled.

One of my favorite beers. I love the flavor profile. This is my favorite non barrel aged stout. The flavors blend perfectly. Did i mention this is one of my favorites?

The beer pours thick, and has a muted carbonation. The body is slightly lighter than might be expected, but lands firmly in the "full" category. The feel is creamy and only slightly oily slick.

The flavor lays down a heavy baseline of rich malt, a touch of smokey roast, and dry cocoa. Playing of the underlying flavor is a bright mix of cinnamon and smokey spice. Midsip, the roast comes through more strongly, the spice dimension is more pronounced, and the flavor slides toward the drier side of the scale.

The lingering flavor mixes unsweetened chocolate, sweet smoke, cinnamon, and dry malt. It is also worth noting, that despite not being all that sweet, it does a fine job masking the alcohol.

All in this is a genius beer in both formulation and execution. It deserves its standing as a top of the heap beer.

Had it rated right below Hunahpu as the #2 beer on the planet until I tried this year's batch. Now I would rate it equal to Hunahpu in the world of special craft imperial stouts.

Just returned from Abraxas Day 2014. Outstanding event. Abraxas is an outstanding beer. Cinnamon, Chocolate come through nicely. I have heard that it fades in time over bottles, but I tasted 2014 next to 2013 (on tap), and 2013's flavors resonated stronger. Might just have been the recipe and process that year. Both excellent though.

Rushed out of work early to get to Trappist Provisions in Oakland. The bottles were long gone, but didn't want to take any chances on missing this on-tap, especially with the vanilla being there, too.

So, for me, like Mexican Cake, this is a perfect beer and I have no hesitation in giving it a perfect score. Rich, sweet, spiced stouts hit the absolute heights of my taste preferences, and what beer hits that profile more dead-on than this one? Like a boozy mexican hot chocolate. Spices integrated perfectly. Just the right amount of heat from the peppers. Dreaming of the BBA version. Five stars out of five.

Struck out several times trying to find this whale. DLD line bottle share and this was one of many great beers but the exchange was very memorable. Complete stranger looked at me and the bottle I was pouring and I looked at his bottle of 2013 Abraxas. No words spoken and we both raised our bottles to offer a pour into the other persons snifter. Toasted and enjoyed! Such a great festival!

But back to Abraxas, such a solid balance of ingredients with vanilla starting and strong but pleasant cinnamon finish. Chiles were not very present and might have faded over the years cellaring. Would love to try this on tap on day. Great beer, similar to Bomb! I am sure the BA version of Abraxas is outstanding given this base.

This is it. At least for someone who hasn't had BA Abraxas, Hunahpu & Dark Lord Muerte. Work the drive to St. Louis just to pick up a couple of bottles which they graciously saved the last of their batch for me. You guys are awesome. The first time I had a sip (poured from bottle) it was like drinking liquid fudge. I love my dark chocolate. The cinnamon is nicely balanced along with just the right touch of chilies. And I mean just the right touch. Doesn't linger too long, but is totally present. I can't stop sipping this beer whenever it's around. I do wish it was a little chewier in mouthfeel, though I actually really could care less because of how great a stout it is. A few more bottles aging in the cellar that I can't wait to try someday. Thank you, Perennial.

Side note, I'm part Thai, so I can't feel the heat of chili as much.. it came off mild to me, so in my tastes, it's nicely balanced.

4.99/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my favorite stout. Imperial brewed in Saint Louis Missouri. The pepper, coffee, chocolate flavors are fantastic. The mouth feel is full, and when you smell it you know it's going to be good.

4.98/5  rDev +12.7%

You should be excited about this beer! It is fantastic.

Abraxas pours dark and rich as you would expect with a great bronze head. Once poured one can immediately start sniffing hints of vanilla bean and cocoa nibs. The taste is complex. I like to think of the taste of this beer like going to a Yonder Mountain String Band concert. The band plays together beautifully, but when each band member has a chance to solo you can really hear each component. The same is true for Abraxas. A taste of Abraxas develops in stages. At first it is a chocolate but as it warms up you experience more vanilla/espresso taste, but cold/warm it finishes with a chili spice and cinnamon perfection.

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a black color with a medium brown head that disappeared quickly. Smells of cinnamon, chocolate, and a small amount of chili. The flavor follows suit. Strong cinnamon flavor with chocolate and chili following. A very smooth feel. This beer is amazing and I can see why it has the following it does. I seek it out every time I know it's being released.

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

4oz pour from a 2014 bottle. What can I add that has already been said about this Beer. A true masterpiece! Perfect flavored stout. I need more! 5.00

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

Mexican hot chocolate. I've had most of the highly ranked versions of the style and this is the winner. The smell is cinnamon and vanilla and the taste is so subtle until you decide to search and wow the flavors carry an amazing depth finding delicious chocolate mixed with a delicate cinnamon and slight vanilla followed up with a unique peppery finish and it's all delivered so smooth and velvety...I'm lucky enough to live a few miles from the brewery and have had the unique coffee and vanilla variants which are spectacular but the original is so well crafted I can truly tell they care about what they are brewing. Don't hype this beer just enjoy it if you find it because it's truly a treat..Cheers!

4.94/5  rDev +11.8%

Sorry, guys. I had this several days ago at a tasting and was so excited I didn't take all notes. Suffice it to say, abraxas is one of the best beers I've ever had. Warm, complex, syrupy stout goodness. Had slightly chilled and room temperature and cannot say anything bad. In fact, I think the beer got better with warmth.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap and from a bottle and it is hands down the best stout I've ever had. Pours jet black with a nice head that sticks around. Smell is decadent - get some cinnamon, chocolate and coffee. Tastes notes of cinnamon, chocolate roasted coffee, molasses and pepper. So many flavors that are married so well. Its amazing how well these flavors just play together - no one flavor is dominant. Feels is really nice - its a strong stout but it doesn't taste/feel that way. So smooth so drinkable.

Overall this is the best stout I've had - are there ones out there that are better? maybe. But if you can get your hands on it, you will not be disappointed.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%

Had to take the time to post a full review of this special beer. This was an unexpected blow your mind beer. First I need to give a huge tip of the cap to Alex (Masterski) for providing this bottle in a recent box exchange. Shared bottle with tai4ji2x (Xenon) as part of a trade (and share evening)
Poured with a visual thickness to it and quickly a thick bronze head formed. Beer was glossy and the deepest brown in color. Some clingy lace remained.
At this point I need to mention that the flavor and aroma of this beer continuously developed and changed as we worked our way through the bottle. One of the more complex and chameleon like beers I’ve ever had.. (meant as a total compliment.
At first the aroma was of deep dark chocolate and this hung thick in my nostril. It was also obvious that chilis were a part of the brew. As mentioned above this continued to move and develop.
The first several sips were absolutely wonderful and screamed of a thick, deep dark chocolate up front with some spicy chili in the rear. Even if this had never changed, I loved this beer right from the start. (it had be at hello!) But this was just the beginning. I told Xenon that I would give him credit for this and I just did… He mentioned that the next phase was very reminiscent of chewing tobacco. He was spot on with this. A bit of spice, some tobacco and still the sense of chocolate. I think this was the beginning of the transition to the other flavors….. As the beer warmed first the cinnamon came to the forefront, and then the vanilla. While early it was dark chocolate, later is was cocoa powder…. And at one point I commented to Xenon that it was as if every permutation of the major components took their turn at center stage. As with life the beer seemed to come full circle and the ending was again the dark chocolate. I am sure that we became accustomed to the spice and other flavors came forward as it warmed… but it was clear to us that the spiciest three sips were the first three.
Body matched the complex flavors and was quite bold.

Just an awesome beer and one where I need to try to find another bottle… ISO to be posted soon. For me this was very special… Alex thanks so much for sending. Xenon, happy to share it with you.

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into Snifter, dark with light orange foam around the rim [swirl of tiny bubbles in the middle].

Dark stout/sight coffee on the front end and the back end tasted like the milk at the bottom of a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I would drink it by the gallon if I could.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

This is quite possibly one of my favorite beers right now. The chile on the nose is sometimes a little overpowering, but the overall taste is just incredible. Enormous chocolate malt, vanilla, cinnamon and chile provide a crazy, and oddly complementary combination of flavors.

750 Bottle into a Oversized Wine Glass

A- Nice! Black as it should be oily, about a 2 finger head and tan. Very nice looking Imp Stout

S- Smells of smoke, coffee, chili and bit of cinnamon but not much. Smell was pretty delicious but not my favorite smelling beer.

T- Amazing! I was not ready for this beer to be that good. The coffee at first, then a bit of vanilla. After that i taste the cinnamon and finished with some spicy tingle of the chili pepper. IT was perfectly balance. Its actually hard to describe.

M- Full body, thick and creamy. I really enjoyed drinking this one

O- This is probably the best beer out of St Louis. Im not sure how limited this supply is but if you can get it do it! I was lucky to get a few bottles. One down and going to try and age the other. I highly doubt it makes it past next week. Its way to good right now to wait.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared between 3 friends in the back of a liquor store. Glassware: red plastic cup

A - Pours super thick and very dark brown. One of the thickest, most dense beers I've poured. Right away I was excited

S - Sweet chocolate, spices, maybe cinnamon, a little pepper

T - Lots of thick and rich chocolately malt flavors up front, followed by the spices, and finally a hint of heat from the chili peppers, but not too much. Every sip makes you want another. The alcohol is well hidden for the ABV too.

M - Thick and creamy. Like liquid fudge

O - This was one of the most enjoyable spiced imperial stouts I've had. I would love to try it next to a bottle of Hunaphu because that might be the only one that can hold a candle to Abraxas (barrel aged stouts aside...)

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Did a stout tasting with vicjr85 and some other friends on 03/07/15. This was my favorite beer of the night. List included: Marshal Zukhov, Abraxas, Speedway JBM, BB Temptress, Chocolate Rain and Bo & Luke.

Nice body with tons of great cinnamon flavor and finishes with a little peppery/spice from the ancho chiles. Picked up on some vanilla which pairs well with the cinnamon. All around great beer.

4.86/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Abraxas 2015

Pitch black with a deep brown tinge, no carbonation, half finger of chocolate brown head, and foamy chocolatey legs.

Cocoa, dark chocolate, cinnamon, a hint of heat and dark toasted notes.

Chocolate, cinnamon, coffee, dark chocolate, toasted notes, a light cinnamon, and chilie pepper note. The spicy heat on the end is light. Chocolate and cocoa resonate on the tongue. For a very long time. Hints of cedar all through as it warms.

Medium oily body but very smooth, foamy carbonation. Slick and smooth.

Got at Rincon Tap Room and Bottle
Shop in Sonoma County, Santa Rosa California. Excellent brew that has good reason for being so well sought after. Drank Sept 15th 2016 at the taproom.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Slightly watery appearance, but black as midnight in color. Dark chocolate and alcohol dominate the aroma in the best way possible. There comes the cinnamon in the flavor profile, with some chili overlayed upon the dark chocolate backbone. Very smooth for a 10% beer, lends some light warming effect on the very back end.

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%

Enjoyed this bottle with my buddy Gtermi. Big thanks to Arcook11 for working out a great trade and going out of his way to make this happen for me.

Pours black big dark brown head that holds for a little bit, then slowly fades to nothing. This gets overused, but it looked like I was pouring motor oil into a tulip.

Chocolate, vanilla and cinnamon invite the nose to dive into the glass and stay for a while. A little heat from the alcohol and chiles are present, but not overwhelming.

At the beginning of each sip, rich chocolatey goodness is what I got, followed by vanilla and cinnamon at the end. I know those damn chiles were messing around somewhere, but they showed up here and there, only for a positive contribution.

Thick and velvety smooth, exactly what I want in an imperial stout. Not much carbonation.

This one exceeded all of my hopes and expectations by so far. It definitely lives up to the hype it recieves and is worth trying hard to seek out. Could be a candidate for my favorite imperial stout. I loved it!

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at CBC 2016 - day 2. Tons of cinnamon up front, followed by cocoa, milk chocolate, molasses and chili peppers. One of my favourite beers at this year’s CBC.

Abraxas from Perennial Artisan Ales