Abraxas | Perennial Artisan Ales

Missouri, United States
perennialbeer.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

An Imperial Stout brewed with ancho chili peppers, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and cinnamon sticks. Pouring deep brown with a thick head, this beer has a complex body with a delicious lingering roastiness. Abraxas is brewed with unique ingredients intended to challenge and excite the palate. It may be enjoyed right away or allowed to age in the bottle. Vertical tastings are encouraged.

#227

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 407 | Ratings: 2,869

Rushed out of work early to get to Trappist Provisions in Oakland. The bottles were long gone, but didn't want to take any chances on missing this on-tap, especially with the vanilla being there, too.

So, for me, like Mexican Cake, this is a perfect beer and I have no hesitation in giving it a perfect score. Rich, sweet, spiced stouts hit the absolute heights of my taste preferences, and what beer hits that profile more dead-on than this one? Like a boozy mexican hot chocolate. Spices integrated perfectly. Just the right amount of heat from the peppers. Dreaming of the BBA version. Five stars out of five.

This is it. At least for someone who hasn't had BA Abraxas, Hunahpu & Dark Lord Muerte. Work the drive to St. Louis just to pick up a couple of bottles which they graciously saved the last of their batch for me. You guys are awesome. The first time I had a sip (poured from bottle) it was like drinking liquid fudge. I love my dark chocolate. The cinnamon is nicely balanced along with just the right touch of chilies. And I mean just the right touch. Doesn't linger too long, but is totally present. I can't stop sipping this beer whenever it's around. I do wish it was a little chewier in mouthfeel, though I actually really could care less because of how great a stout it is. A few more bottles aging in the cellar that I can't wait to try someday. Thank you, Perennial.

Side note, I'm part Thai, so I can't feel the heat of chili as much.. it came off mild to me, so in my tastes, it's nicely balanced.

The beer pours thick, and has a muted carbonation. The body is slightly lighter than might be expected, but lands firmly in the "full" category. The feel is creamy and only slightly oily slick.

The flavor lays down a heavy baseline of rich malt, a touch of smokey roast, and dry cocoa. Playing of the underlying flavor is a bright mix of cinnamon and smokey spice. Midsip, the roast comes through more strongly, the spice dimension is more pronounced, and the flavor slides toward the drier side of the scale.

The lingering flavor mixes unsweetened chocolate, sweet smoke, cinnamon, and dry malt. It is also worth noting, that despite not being all that sweet, it does a fine job masking the alcohol.

All in this is a genius beer in both formulation and execution. It deserves its standing as a top of the heap beer.

Pours black slick oil like with thick mocha colored head that clings to the glass.

Aroma TONS of cinnamon, chocolate, vanilla and spices.

Flavor is just amazing, rich lots of cinnamon, vanilla, peppers and chocolate.

Feel - Thick full bodied and creamy nice amount of heat.

Overall - This is the perfect stout I cannot think of one thing I would change.

Just returned from Abraxas Day 2014. Outstanding event. Abraxas is an outstanding beer. Cinnamon, Chocolate come through nicely. I have heard that it fades in time over bottles, but I tasted 2014 next to 2013 (on tap), and 2013's flavors resonated stronger. Might just have been the recipe and process that year. Both excellent though.

Struck out several times trying to find this whale. DLD line bottle share and this was one of many great beers but the exchange was very memorable. Complete stranger looked at me and the bottle I was pouring and I looked at his bottle of 2013 Abraxas. No words spoken and we both raised our bottles to offer a pour into the other persons snifter. Toasted and enjoyed! Such a great festival!

But back to Abraxas, such a solid balance of ingredients with vanilla starting and strong but pleasant cinnamon finish. Chiles were not very present and might have faded over the years cellaring. Would love to try this on tap on day. Great beer, similar to Bomb! I am sure the BA version of Abraxas is outstanding given this base.

One of my favorite beers. I love the flavor profile. This is my favorite non barrel aged stout. The flavors blend perfectly. Did i mention this is one of my favorites?

This beers pours a thick dark brown to black. It looks like a syrup and leave light brown legging and bubbles when swirled. The smell is straight up cinnnamon, vanilla, chile spice, and deep dark chocolate. The taste is dark chocolate with a huge flavor of cinnamon, vanilla, and whiskey barrel flavor. The mouthfeel is smooth AF. Reminiscent of a milkshake. I love this beer. Drinkable and without a trace of alcohol even at 10%. Fantastic. Tremendous (a la Trump) lol

Pours black with hardly any light passing through. Has a dark caramel head on top. Can smell cinnamon as well as something sweet. Taste is full of cinnamon with a hint of spice.

It’s hard to find anything wrong with this beer. I had hoped it was all hype but man, great beer

L-pours black and thick with a dark brown head.

N- smells like a spice cake

T- Tastes like the greatest boozy spice cake you have ever had. The chili hits up front, but gives a cinnamon hit to the malty fruity goodness, incredibly balanced with nothing overpowering and everything working together in great harmony.

M- this is a thick chewy beer, but in the best way possible. Coats the mouth but isn’t too thick.

I don’t ever want to call a beer perfect, but it’s going to take something unbelievable to beat this as the best in the style, far and away the best I’ve had.

Had it rated right below Hunahpu as the #2 beer on the planet until I tried this year's batch. Now I would rate it equal to Hunahpu in the world of special craft imperial stouts.

Opened 11/27/14 slightly above room temp.

A: Jet black with minimal head. Poured thick.
S: Very hard to describe. Is that the alcohol heat I smell, the cinnamon, or the peppers? It all blends together. Second whiff I pickup some chocolate notes. Just a pleasure to smell.
T: Very similar to the smell. There is a spicy element that is a blend of heat and cinnamon on top of a roasted malt flavor.
M: Residual burn/sweetness that stays with you.
O: This beer is fantastic. It is a great blend of chilies and cinnamon such that both elements compete against one another, with neither gaining the upper hand. Definitely worth the praise it gets. The complexity this beer brings to the table blows other beers out of the water.

Edit: I've had this beer multiple times since original review, and it still impresses every time I have it. Some occasions I pick up more the cinnamon, while others a get a stronger chocolate presence. I should also add that the beer a some nice "legs" on the glass when swirled.

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my favorite stout. Imperial brewed in Saint Louis Missouri. The pepper, coffee, chocolate flavors are fantastic. The mouth feel is full, and when you smell it you know it's going to be good.

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Pitch black with reddish brown tiny head that dissipates immediately.
S - Chocolate, cinnamon, peppers, and cherries.
T - Mexican chocolate, peppers, malt, sweet with a hint of cinnamon.
M- Thickest beer I've had; mouth-coating, with low carbonation. Some burn from the high alcohol and even from the chilies.
O- Everything seems to work together; extremely robust flavor; fantastic if you are into thick beers.

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

You should be excited about this beer! It is fantastic.

Abraxas pours dark and rich as you would expect with a great bronze head. Once poured one can immediately start sniffing hints of vanilla bean and cocoa nibs. The taste is complex. I like to think of the taste of this beer like going to a Yonder Mountain String Band concert. The band plays together beautifully, but when each band member has a chance to solo you can really hear each component. The same is true for Abraxas. A taste of Abraxas develops in stages. At first it is a chocolate but as it warms up you experience more vanilla/espresso taste, but cold/warm it finishes with a chili spice and cinnamon perfection.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Mexican hot chocolate. I've had most of the highly ranked versions of the style and this is the winner. The smell is cinnamon and vanilla and the taste is so subtle until you decide to search and wow the flavors carry an amazing depth finding delicious chocolate mixed with a delicate cinnamon and slight vanilla followed up with a unique peppery finish and it's all delivered so smooth and velvety...I'm lucky enough to live a few miles from the brewery and have had the unique coffee and vanilla variants which are spectacular but the original is so well crafted I can truly tell they care about what they are brewing. Don't hype this beer just enjoy it if you find it because it's truly a treat..Cheers!

4.96/5  rDev +11%

4oz pour from a 2014 bottle. What can I add that has already been said about this Beer. A true masterpiece! Perfect flavored stout. I need more! 5.00

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Pours a black color with a medium brown head that disappeared quickly. Smells of cinnamon, chocolate, and a small amount of chili. The flavor follows suit. Strong cinnamon flavor with chocolate and chili following. A very smooth feel. This beer is amazing and I can see why it has the following it does. I seek it out every time I know it's being released.

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

Sorry, guys. I had this several days ago at a tasting and was so excited I didn't take all notes. Suffice it to say, abraxas is one of the best beers I've ever had. Warm, complex, syrupy stout goodness. Had slightly chilled and room temperature and cannot say anything bad. In fact, I think the beer got better with warmth.

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

L: Thick, black, with a creamy tan head that sticks around for a long time.

S: Chocolate, cinnamon, and a little bit of peppers. Very nice - the only reason I didn't give it a 5-5 is that the smell really didn't do justice to the taste.

T: Holy crap, this is good. Cocoa, with a little bit of pepper flavor and heat, a little bit sweet, very Mexican chocolate-y.

F: Also great. Super thick - one of the thickest beers I've ever had. It just kind of coats your mouth with flavor.

O: I find a lot of highly-regarded beers to be overhyped, even if they are ultimately very good beers. This one exceeded all of my expectations. One of the best beers I've ever had of any type, period. I would love to try some of the variants someday, although I honestly don't know how you improve on this. Perennial is 2/2 on big stouts for me (Sump is also fantastic). I may have to try a few more of their beers.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap and from a bottle and it is hands down the best stout I've ever had. Pours jet black with a nice head that sticks around. Smell is decadent - get some cinnamon, chocolate and coffee. Tastes notes of cinnamon, chocolate roasted coffee, molasses and pepper. So many flavors that are married so well. Its amazing how well these flavors just play together - no one flavor is dominant. Feels is really nice - its a strong stout but it doesn't taste/feel that way. So smooth so drinkable.

Overall this is the best stout I've had - are there ones out there that are better? maybe. But if you can get your hands on it, you will not be disappointed.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Had to take the time to post a full review of this special beer. This was an unexpected blow your mind beer. First I need to give a huge tip of the cap to Alex (Masterski) for providing this bottle in a recent box exchange. Shared bottle with tai4ji2x (Xenon) as part of a trade (and share evening)
Poured with a visual thickness to it and quickly a thick bronze head formed. Beer was glossy and the deepest brown in color. Some clingy lace remained.
At this point I need to mention that the flavor and aroma of this beer continuously developed and changed as we worked our way through the bottle. One of the more complex and chameleon like beers I’ve ever had.. (meant as a total compliment.
At first the aroma was of deep dark chocolate and this hung thick in my nostril. It was also obvious that chilis were a part of the brew. As mentioned above this continued to move and develop.
The first several sips were absolutely wonderful and screamed of a thick, deep dark chocolate up front with some spicy chili in the rear. Even if this had never changed, I loved this beer right from the start. (it had be at hello!) But this was just the beginning. I told Xenon that I would give him credit for this and I just did… He mentioned that the next phase was very reminiscent of chewing tobacco. He was spot on with this. A bit of spice, some tobacco and still the sense of chocolate. I think this was the beginning of the transition to the other flavors….. As the beer warmed first the cinnamon came to the forefront, and then the vanilla. While early it was dark chocolate, later is was cocoa powder…. And at one point I commented to Xenon that it was as if every permutation of the major components took their turn at center stage. As with life the beer seemed to come full circle and the ending was again the dark chocolate. I am sure that we became accustomed to the spice and other flavors came forward as it warmed… but it was clear to us that the spiciest three sips were the first three.
Body matched the complex flavors and was quite bold.

Just an awesome beer and one where I need to try to find another bottle… ISO to be posted soon. For me this was very special… Alex thanks so much for sending. Xenon, happy to share it with you.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Flat out amazing stout. Alternately spicy and sweet, with a long, deep finish. One of the tastiest beers you'll come across. So good, I had to close my eyes with each sip. Brilliant!

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in a snifter at a local bar.

A: Pours jet black in color with a small, foamy, dark brown to khaki colored head with minimal retention. Thin, khaki colored lacing throughout.

S: Huge aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and chili peppers exactly as advertised. Milder notes of coffee, toffee, and dark fruits.

T: Holy wow. Tasty cinnamon roll in a glass. Starts off with big notes of chocolate and cinnamon followed by vanilla, coffee, caramel, and toffee. Finishes with hints of chili peppers, raisins, and other dark fruits. Mild lingering bitterness on the end.

F: Full bodied. Thick, smooth, and super creamy. Light carbonation.

O: Overall, this is an amazing Imperial Stout. Literally tastes like a liquified cinnamon roll. My first time trying this and I will definitely be revisiting this one. One of my new all time favorites. Worth the hunt for a bottle if you have the opportunity.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into Snifter, dark with light orange foam around the rim [swirl of tiny bubbles in the middle].

Dark stout/sight coffee on the front end and the back end tasted like the milk at the bottom of a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I would drink it by the gallon if I could.

Abraxas from Perennial Artisan Ales