Abraxas | Perennial Artisan Ales

Missouri, United States
perennialbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout brewed with Ancho Chiles, Cacao Nibs, Vanilla Beans & Cinnamon Sticks.

2011 - 100 cases
2012 - 200 cases

Added by jmvecchio1 on 12-16-2011

Reviews: 320 | Ratings: 2,484
4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into Snifter, dark with light orange foam around the rim [swirl of tiny bubbles in the middle].

Dark stout/sight coffee on the front end and the back end tasted like the milk at the bottom of a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I would drink it by the gallon if I could.

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in a trade in December 2015, haven't had it since 2013. This is from 2015 release. Poured into oversize snifter. You simply must let this beer warm to room temp..while chilled, The cinnamon is clearly the alpha in regard to the spice influence...I can't say that I can grab any ancho chiles nor vanilla..maybe a tad chocolate? But as it warmed I can taste the vanilla influence as well. Such a wonderful beer I absolutely love it.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked this up from a great trade with Evan! Bottled Nov 2013. An aggressive pour yields a beautiful pitch black body with a quickly fading one finger caramel-colored head with minimal lacing. Rich, roasty, complex nose with lots of cocoa up front along with hints of cinnamon, dark chocolate, vanilla, subtle coconut, and the chilies are surprisingly prevalent as well. The taste is big and rich and just as complex as the nose. Loads of roasty cocoa and cinnamon up front with the chilies not far behind. Hints of chocolate fudge, coconut, vanilla, tobacco, and espresso. The mouthfeel is rich and flavorful, thick and creamy, with perfect carbonation and excellent balance. Overall, this was a hugely enjoyable beer and not far behind the barrel-aged version. The cinnamon, cocoa, and chilies were bold, yet equally represented and this was extremely drinkable for a 10% ABV beer. Highly recommended!

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Sorry, guys. I had this several days ago at a tasting and was so excited I didn't take all notes. Suffice it to say, abraxas is one of the best beers I've ever had. Warm, complex, syrupy stout goodness. Had slightly chilled and room temperature and cannot say anything bad. In fact, I think the beer got better with warmth.

4.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From recent notes: even though it's a few months old at this point it still is wonderfully in tact. From bottle into a 10oz Perennial Snifter on a nice afternoon on my deck as the sunset and the sprinklers were running.

I remiss, onto the beer: Rich chocolate and spice aromas on the nose; brown head. Taste also is in waves of rich chocolate, spices and rich dark malt character. Sweet, slightly spicy, reminds me a bit of autumn. A bit bitter mostly from chocolate and possibly from hops, residual and up front. Finishes smooth almost like sweet chocolate milk. Cannot wait to try this again, hopefully even a barrel aged variant.

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared by Curran at his tasting.

Pours a deep, dark black, with a cinnamon-colored orange-ish red head, one inches, awesome color. There's a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like roasted malt, chocolate, and cinnamon, with only a small amount of pepper.

The pepper is stronger in the taste for sure, and quite tasty. There's a ton of sweet, rich chocolate, a little bit of spicy cinnamon, and lots of roasted malt. The flavors meld together really well. This is just another great example of the "Mexican chocolate" style of stout.

Thick, viscous body, coats the mouth with goodness. Very drinkable, because of how well the flavors meld together. Low amount of carbonation.

Just a real treat and pleasure to drink this one, it's so decadent and complex.

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

I initially gave this a tick drinking at the tap room at LP Binny's, but the beer took FOREVER to warm up (air conditioning is real there!), so I finally got a bottle myself, and am giving this another shot.

The beer pours an awesome head for a stout this heavy; nice brown foam and really oily lacing. Great looking beer. The smell itself is pretty coffee-heavy, with not too much else too it (at least that I got).

The taste of the beer is extremely coffee-forward when you first start drinking (especially if the beer hasn't warmed); I can only imagine what Coffee Abraxas tastes like. The chile heat is always present as a faint acidic aftertaste, but as the beer warms, it becomes sweeter and you get more of a cinnamon presence (not a cinnamon bomb by any means, though).

I'm not a huge fan of coffee-forward beers, which generally means that bitter, cacao-forward stouts aren't my favorite. I didn't love the coffee-like taste of this, but the beer itself is complex and really interesting, so much so that I was willing to blow through the entire bottle in one sitting. It reminds me of a more-balanced, sweeter version of Xocoveza in many ways, which is definitely a compliment (since Xocoveza was excellent, and I would've enjoyed it even more if it were sweeter and less hot).

I first had this and the Abyss around the same time, and while both give you a lot of coffee at the beginning, the other components of Abraxas were what made me come back and give Abraxas a second shot. Excellent, and right up there with BCBCS as the best coffee-forward stouts I've ever had.

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - The beer was a dark black color, looking like used motor oil. A slight mocha head topped the glass.

Smell - The aroma I detected was almost a syrupy coffee smell. The sweetness in the aroma was almost overwhelming.

Taste - This is heavy. Initially, I am led to believe this will be sweet like molasses. Then, I notice cinnamon, vanilla, and a hint of pepper. The malts give the impression of coffee, but it is not overwhelming. The warming in the aftertaste is mild, but it is the thick sweetness that gives the biggest impression.

Mouthfeel - This is thick and coats the tongue and throat. It leaves an impression well after the swallow.

Overall - I liked this one a lot. This is a fantastic stout.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another treat to have in my glass and an overdue review. Thanks to jamminjohnson for sending me this bottle of 13 and the matching abraxas snifter.

Bottle from 11/2013

a one of the more attractive stouts, rich and sludgy with a great shine. Nice dark brown head that hangs a minute and streaky lacing on the glass.

s all the goodies. Cinnamon chocolate roasted coffee, really nice balance. Small hints of the heat

t takes the pass from the nose and slam dunk. All the flavors in perfect harmony. Rich chocolate with a glazing of cinnamon and a dash of spice. Really nice.

m great full body. Lush and rich. Big and unapologetic, but oh so silky and easy to destroy the entire bottle on my own.

o overall this is a hunah killer. I am not usually a fan of spicy beers and this beer, right now 6 months post bottle is just perfect. I have had this beer a few times and this is probably my favorite experience with it. Really just fantastic

4.71/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers, oddly enough only beer that I have dreams about. I simply find myself craving it at the most unusual times and it's unfortunately not a beer I often have.

It's the best stout I've ever had. Beats all of goose's BCBS offerings IMO. Superb tastes the whole way through.

Well done perennial.

4.22/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours very smooth and slowly, just like motor oil. Appears a deep inky black with a finger of caramel-colored head.

S: Slight booziness. Roasted malt, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, molasses, and just faintly of chili peppers.

T: Damn, the richness smacks you in the face. Pretty sweet, not cloying, but a tad much for my tastes. The first thing I get is lots of cinnamon and vanilla. Next is chili pepper, accompanied by the slight burn. There is a bit of roasted coffee presence as well. All in all, nice, but gets a tad overwhelming, like drinking a sweet cinnamon cookie. It does get better as it warms.

M: Definitely the thickest beer I've ever had. It's like drinking eggnog. Coats the entire mouth and just sticks there. Some might call it 'chewy'. Very smooth and creamy. No carbonation comes through in a beer this heavy. Couldn't ask for more in an Imperial Stout.

O: As I mentioned, it's like drinking a cookie. Quite sweet, which can get overwhelming as you get further into the bottle. Good complexity of flavor, not as much chili pepper as others I've had. Definitely a bottle you want someone to share with. Someday I hope to the opportunity to try the BA version.

4.46/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from a generous trader. Bottled 11/2013. Pours incredibly thick pitch black with a big dark brown head. Aroma of massive chocolates, a hint of spicy pepper, and a bit of cinnamon. Really nice. Flavor is super sweet chocolate, light roast, a bit of cinnamon dryness, with a lingering dry cocoa powder and light chile flavor left on the palate. The heat picks up a tad as I sip and the cinnamon definitely comes out as it warms. Thick bodied with low carbonation, but not as thick as I was expecting after watching the pour. Pretty good stuff with both sweet chocolate and bitter roast shining through here. Hoping to find the BA version someday.

4.27/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served alongside Cigar City Hunahpu's.

The beer is black and viscous with an oily beige collar. Aromas of heavy cinnamon with some peppery heat. Vanilla and chocolate are there as well, but in the background a bit. Really nice flavor, with cinnamon leading the way. Rich, roasted malt with hints of coffee. Thick body with a delicate sweetness throughout. While Hunahpu's still reigns supreme, in my opinion, Abraxas is certainly a delicious and well crafted beer well worth seeking out.

3.98/5  rDev -10.4%

A- perfect for pour. 1.5 finger tan head with great lacing

S - Boozy... Rum, with dark fruits and propery.

T - melo compared to Nose. Almost no carbonation. Everything comes together wel. Nose screamed rum, but taste screams white wine barrels

Mf. - surprisingly light with little carbonation

Overall. Meh... It's a good stout. Not great, but it didn't really dissapoint

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served into several snifters shared with family. 2013 bottle.

A - Dark as night poured syrupy into a snifter with decent lacing and a khaki tan foam head

S - Cinnamon, Chile, Cocoa, Vanilla, Coffee all come through as it warms

T - Taste is a an overpowering cinnamon and chile taste with not enough chocolate and vanilla in my opinion. Not as good as I was expecting from this.

M - Mouthfeel was a medium to full bodied creamy smooth chewy taste.

O - I was underwhelmed drinking this as Perennial is local for me. Was expecting much more chocolate vanilla coffee rather than an overpowering cinnamon taste. The cinnamon is just not for me although

Re-Review --> Had this on draft for the first time as I avoided it on draft the previous three times I had seen it. Revisited it this week and really enjoyed it this time. Not sure if my bottle was overloaded with cinnamon or my palate was screwed up, but I enjoyed 25 ounces this time much more than I did when I had 6 ounces. Still loads of cinnamon but this was zoo much more balanced between the chocolate cinnamon chile vanilla and coffee.. Smell and appearance can stay the same but overall. from 4 taste to 4.5 and overall from 4.25 to 4.5

2014 Abraxas

Much more balance between the adjuncts this year. Slightly more pepper taste on the finish. Great balance between the chocolate cinnamon vanilla. Better than 2012 and 2013. Definitely my favorite year thus far

3.88/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap at Hops and Pie, I was glad to get to try this for significantly less than the $20 that bottles are (over)priced at around here. Dark black, tan head, looks good. Aroma is cinnamon and the slightest hint of pepper. Flavor seemed heavier on the cinnamon with discernible vanilla, not much pepper on the flavor. My friend said it reminded her of cinnamon life cereal. I liked this beer but I could never pay $20 for a 750, more like $10.

4.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with the wife and courtesy of Tom. Thanks so much bud. Bottle dated: 11/2011

Very dark with a big dense mocha head and some pretty spatter.

Nice chile presence on the nose mixed with vanilla. Underneath sits a nice dark chocolate and cinnamon.

My first impression was that this beer lacked boldness. After a few sips, and remembering the big flavors in Mexican Cake that really didn't do much for me, I saw this more as well integrated. Each successive sip grew on me. Chiles ride atop the adjuncts harmoniously. Flavors integrate seamlessly without clashing. Alcohol is masterfully hidden; this is dangerously drinkable. So many different aspects working well together.

Body is the only flaw as this comes off a bit thin and light on the tongue.

Overall, what a really well done stout. Takes Mexican Cake and Hunahpu's behind the woodshed.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Dark, black, 1.5 finger creamy caramel head

S- Cinnamon is quite apparent. Vanilla, booze, sweet fruits and lots of charred caramel.

T- Yep, cinnamon toast crunch all the way. Love this one more than the barrel version as the alcohol burn is much less here. Flavor goes for days. Cinnamon with some marshmallows

M- Thick, full body, with moderate booze. Creamy as can be.

O- Wow. Not the spice that Bomb has, but an outstanding food beer. Pair with steak, lamb, or even duck. Any coffee style desert would work nicely too.

$18 for 750 ml bottle

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into stemmed glass. 3 month old.

Pours a deep inky black, viscous, with a compact cappuccino colored head that lingers around and leaves huge lacing.

Aroma is a brilliant milk chocolate, churros, creamed honey, vanilla, and a distant roaster note not quite coffee but close. This smells chewy and decadent!

On the palate the ancho chiles finally make their appearance. But very well integrated with rest of the flavors. More of that milk chocolate, major fresh cinnamon stick, latte, orange liqueur, vanilla, and the undeniable spicy ancho. Leaves some heat on the back of the throat and high chest area.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and voluptuous. Heavy body with ample carbonation for an impy stout. Just wonderful.

Overall, expertly crafted over at Perrenial. Love the milk chocolatey base flavor all the others play off of. Even though there was no vanilla brewed into this you get major vanilla notes which I really enjoy. A dessert beer, and one that should definitely be shared as I think a 750 will be hard to manage by myself! Would love to try the coffee version.

4.34/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have enjoyed many Perennial beers, although the expense...
But I digress, was anticipating this one, even though it isn't the barrel-aged version.

A: maybe deserves a 5, but detracted for minimal to no lacing. Otherwise the dark to black pour had a decent initial dark tan head.

S/T: I combine these because the initial taste followed the smell almost to a tee. The smell was decently sweet with a strong mocha presence. (Edit: the chili comes through quite prevalent and satisfyingly. The taste consumes the mouth with the toasted malt, followed quickly with a bitter, dark chocolate flavor. The chiles combine with the cocoa in a very interesting way.
Edit: my initial review I didn't get much chile, in my re-review, it couldn't be avoided.

M: The body is full, as each drink seems to be able to hit senses in every part if my mouth. Feel is silky at first, turning a bit oily in the end.

O: very good, if a little on the sweet side. My initial tastes made me think of Imperial Biscotti Break, but not quite to that standard. I'm interested in the feel, more as an intriguing point than a purely satisfying point.

4.41/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on: 11/2013

Picked up in a trade from Maryland. Poured into a small Stone branded snifter.

Pours viscous dark black with a thin tan head that dissipates after a few sips, nice lacing from start to finish. Nose is earthy and peppery, plum and toasted malt, sweet chocolate, black liquorish. The taste is absolutely phenomenal - similar to the nose, very earthy, dark toasted malt, raisin, bitter dark chocolate and as it warms up a bit the cinnamon and chilies really come through, with a little warmth on the back end from the high ABV. A lot going on, but in perfect harmony - extremely well balanced flavors. The mouthfeel is perfect for the style - big bodied, creamy, moderate carbonation, finishes extremely dry.

Such a good Imperial Stout.

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Had this on tap at the Foundry in KCMO 1/22/14

A: Jet black with an inch of tan head that dissipates after a min to a subtle 1/4 inch tan foam.

S: The noise of this beer is very complex. Cocoa, peppers, a mild coffee, spicy, cinnamon, and a strong nutmeg smell. This smell reminds me of going home to my parents house for christmas, with my moms christmas yankee candles lit and a banana nutbread in the oven.

T: The taste is outrageously spicy on the front end, while subtle on the back end. The back end leaves you with a bit of heat. You can definitely taste the cacao nibs and ancho chili peppers. This beer at the front punches you with cinnamon and then leaves you with the heat of the ancho chili peppers.

M: The feel of this beer is creamy, thick and almost chewy.

O: Overall this is an incredibly enjoyable beer. This beer tastes distinctively different than alot of other imperial stouts. While a lot of other breweries try to spice their imperial stouts with different things, it either A: doesn't work, or B:gets lost behind the chocolate and coffee tastes that are normally prevalent in imperial stouts, or C: is overpowering with one individual spice. But this beer does not fall into those categories. It is complex yet enjoyable. The ancho chili peppers, cinnamon sticks, and cacao nibs are very prevalent but enjoyable. This beer is a success in its uniqueness

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in black color with a medium mocha brown head.

The aroma has that cocoa nib, tons of cinnamon and spices. Chocolate and a hint of that chili throughout. Lots of fruity spice.

The flavor follows with a medium chocolate sweetness, then vanilla, and then the cinnamon and spices are some of the biggest flavors. The chili is really subtle and gives a bit of spice, but more gentle warming. Fruity spice and caramel dominate throughout, along with the cinnamon.

A very balanced brew that stands in behind Mexican Cake and ahead of Hunahpu in the style.

4.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Gorgeous head, with oatmeal bubbles, pitch.

S - Delicious chocolate, cinnamon, coriander aromas.

T - Awesome, smooth, not hot, cocoa and beer. Just a hint of chocolate chili.

M - Rich, creamy, medium full.

O - Superb and delicious. Can't wait to have again.

4.13/5  rDev -7%

Poured a dark brown, almost black body with one finger dark brown head (so I guess the body is black since I differentiate) that left lace patches and had an aroma of sweetness like chocolate and toffee, maybe caramel, hint of cinnamon, and some roasted, bready malts as well as coffee and chile (although I may pick these up more b/c others say they are in there than on my own without prior knowledge). A thick, almost chewey body that is sticky at times but so easy to drink and so calling for me to drink it. Great balance as I get a lot of chocolate and touches of cinnamon (and I still think toffee or caramel) with a very dry, coffee-esque malt base. Picks up on the end with a little heat so I'm assuming both the alcohol and chile are coming in and thankfully not overpowering me at all. A very enjoyable sipper and another great beer from Perennial.

Abraxas from Perennial Artisan Ales