Fantastic Voyage | Perennial Artisan Ales

Missouri, United States
perennialbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Availability: Summer

Milk Stout brewed with real coconut. (Brewed in Collaboration with Jim Leabig)

Added by TheSarge on 07-15-2012

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station out of a small Belgian-style tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a pitch black, with a chocolate mousse colored head that is a mix of big, rocky suds and smaller, denser foamy bubbles. Stands about two-fingers tall and takes quite awhile to dissipate, leaving sticky lacing.

Smell - Surprised I don't get more coconut milk characteristic here, but smells like a pretty standard stout--seems to lack the sweetness that I typically detect from the smell in milk stouts. Bittersweet burnt caramel and charred chocolate nibs are the dominant characteristics.

Taste - Again, more towards the bitter than the sweet--again with cocoa nibs and now elements of fresh-brewed cappucino with an herbal, green characteristic that does impart the sensation of fresh coconut milk. Interesting and not quite like any stout I've had before.

Mouthfeel - Heavy of body, like most stouts with ample carbonation. The coconut milk seems to impart a bit of a slick, almost slimy feel to the beer. Lingers a bit after the beer has been swallowed.

Overall, there are just better milk stouts out there than this one. Worth a try if you have the opportunity, since there aren't a lot of beers that infuse coconut in this way, but keep in mind that coconut milk is not impart the same sweet-tasting element that coconut flesh does. Certainly not a bad beer, but it's really the first offering I've had from Perennial that I haven't loved. I'm not likely to have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a black body with minimal tan head that died quick and not much lace to speak of. First picked up some roasted malts in the aroma, then some sweet malts and I really didn't pick up the coconut that much in the aroma. Beer is really smooth, really sweet as well giving off a milk chocolate and hint of cocunut flavor throughout. Beer isn't overly sweet or sugary thanks to good balance from roasted and bread malts that gives it a slight javalike espresso feel. Slightly sticky at times, beer is easy to drink and does not get painfully sweet or full after awhile, and has a good finish. A little pricey but very enjoyable and a must try.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

First had: on tap at TJ's
Nice to see Perennial making its way into SEPA.

My bartender warned me that this one was a bit disappointing, and there was just about no coconut to be detected, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I'm not really a fan of coconut anyway...though I do like it in beer.

Solid black pour with a thick tan ringlet that left some lacing on the glass. In the nose, dark malts, cream, light notes of shaved coconut; overall a bit muted, with a tone of bitterness. While I don't doubt the bartender's taste, I definitely picked up some coconut in the taste right away, not overblown, but it was definitely there, chocolaty sweetness, milkiness, bready malts, a touch of earthy bitterness. I wasn't too impressed by this, but honestly I think it was served on the cold side, and I didn't give it the proper time to come down to a more appropriate temperature to let the full flavors present themselves. Body was about medium, though the mouthfeel was smooth. Overall not bad. I'd like to try it again to get a second opinion. I also have a bottle at home that might get opened soon.

*Edit: opened that bottle...it was a drain pour. And a pricey one at that. Smelled and tasted like sour milk. Nasty infection.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%