Barrel-Aged Sump Coffee Stout | Perennial Artisan Ales

Perennial Artisan Ales
Missouri, United States
perennialbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in Rittenhouse Rye barrels.

First batch used Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso.
Bottle release used Sump Coffee of St. Louis.

Silver Medal at 2013 GABF in the coffee beer category.

Added by Etan on 12-02-2012

#196

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.84/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious beer that I would love to have again. Poured thick and black with coffee brownie aromas. Flavors backed up the aroma perfectly. Drank thick with awesome coffee and chocolate flavors

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black with a small tan head. Smells of dark roasted coffee predominate. Tastes of bitter coffee up front followed by a almost sweet cherry from the barrels. Excellent

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

3.94/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.99/5  rDev +11.1%

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.99/5  rDev +11.1%

Remember that Guitar Hero commercial from way back when with Heidi Klum wearing nothing but a white button up shirt and socks, jamming out like nobody's watching to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" holding a Guitar Hero controller?

Well that was pretty much me after taking one sip of BA Sump.

I don't know if it's because I hadn't had beer in a while, or because this particular drinking session happened after three-four weeks worth of very stressful life events, but for some reason I felt a sudden rush of incredible euphoria the exact moment the precious black liquid passed between my lips and my neurotransmitters started firing back signals trying to decode the wonderment beckoning my palatal and olfactory senses -- I guess this is why I'm still obsessed with a hobby that's detrimental to both my health and bank account; which gifts me with nothing but splitting headaches and cottonmouth in the mornings while stealing my gains at the gym.

In all sincerity, (regular) Sump is quite possibly the most coffee-forward beer I've ever tried. When I say that it's coffee-forward, I don't mean the kind that your secretary serves you in a white styrofoam cup, lukewarm with creamer and two spoons of sugar. I mean the straight-up bold illustrious flavors that emanate out of fresh roasted beans that may or may not have been burnt beyond the sixth layer of hell because you get your coffee at Starbucks. I'd argue that the coffeeness in Sump's coffee is more coffee than most coffee in a way a rose is a rose is a rose is not a rose, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself at this point so I'll stop.

The aroma coming out of the bottle is very much similar to its non-BA kin; so much coffee that you don't quite know whether you want to try and heat it up and drink it black, or put it in a cheap reusable plastic cup with ice, sugar, and saturated fats and serve it with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

After some time and temperature, however, the commanding sweetness shares its spot on the podium with a light hint of chocolate, and sweet cream cluing you in that other elements may be at play.

I haven't had a beer that was this straightforward since Weyerbacher's Sunday Morning Stout. In fact, for those of you that have tried Sunday Morning and are somewhat familiar with CrossFit: Sunday Morning is to Annie Þórisdóttir what BA Sump is to Katrin Davíðsdóttir. For those of you that don't have a clue what that means, they're both world class beers that I'd drink again without batting an eye, but the latter edges out the former as a more robust all-round mesh of bourbon and coffee flavors.

In plain speak, I have yet to try a beer that comes close to the perfect marriage of coffee and rye whiskey that I've witnessed in BA Sump. Neither flavor eclipses the other, while neither is expressed at less than 100% of its expressable potential -- hell you might as well throw a scalding cup of coffee and a glass of whiskey in my face simultaneously and I'd get all the same sensations, albeit without the masterful blending and delicious flavors.

Barrel-Aged Sump Coffee Stout from Perennial Artisan Ales