St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

4.46/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 9,563 |  Reviews: 2,803

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Tastes like every other beer, lol

1.16/5  rDev -74%

1.25/5  rDev -72%

I had high expectations for this beer, I mean, it is one of the most lauded Quads.

What a worthless beer! Let's break down the stats on this guys:

It looks awesome! A deep garnet with a dishwater head that just won't quite! No matter how long you let it sit, the head just won't go away. No matter how much my moustache releases oils that cause lesser heads to fail. Too bad it's all downhill from there.

It smells like curacao oranges. Why in the world would I want beer to smell like oranges?

And the taste? Nasty yeast gets into a terrible trainwreck with curacao oranges, toffee, and chocolate. Terrible.

The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. The excessive use of sugar leads to a paper thin body -- so what do they do to compensate? Equally excessive use of crystal malts. Sticky sugars mingling with thinner-than-water body. Terrible.

Drinkability? I could barely finish choking down my 8 ounces of it. I'm just glad that my girlfriend was able to take care of the rest of the 750.

Yuck!

I was not a fan of this one at all. I am not a huge fan of quadruples so I should not have been surprised that I did not like this. I would not recommend it.

2.25/5  rDev -49.6%

2.25/5  rDev -49.6%

2.3/5  rDev -48.4%

I sampled this beer in a blind taste test. My buddies asked me to try to guess the brewery. I guessed Union Carbide.

2.38/5  rDev -46.6%

Very underwhelmed by this. Smell was decent yet somewhat faint. Smells of light chocolately roastiness, a touch of belgium yeast and metal, and mostly of raisins. The second this hits my tongue the ridiculously high carbonation basically turns the beer into foam. Feels like champagne in the mouth. Taste is a touch dark fruit, roasty, raisiny, light but standard belgium yeast character and caramel. Honestly, the mouthfeel was the worst part of it. Fizziest beer I've had in nearly 500 beers. Alcohol is hidden well, but I'd be happy to never drink this again.

2.39/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Mocha brown with a small frothy head. Specks of lacing line the glass.

S - Dates and molasses malt, but alcohol dominants the nose.

T - Molasses malt with a slight diacetyl. As with the smell, the alcohol dominants the taste. It is lacking in depth, for a 10% abv, it really should have masked its alcohol better than this.

M - Best part of the beer, absurdly smooth and a little thin. Slightly drying, but tolerable.

D - If alcohol flavor doesn't bother you too much, than this is a drinkable beer. But it is very lacking all around. A big disappointment. Rocheforte 10 is much better, and I didn't even like that too much.

2.46/5  rDev -44.8%

-Color: Medium Brown. Not quite as dark as a porter or stout. A very slight red tint, almost makes it a maroon color. Has a fizzy head that persists throughout the entire session.

-Nose: Definitely get the sweeter Belgian yeast notes on the aroma. Bananas and milk chocolate.

-Flavor: Immediately you get the malt and yeast backbone of this beer. You get the bananas as the nose suggested you would, and what I surmised would be the case given my past experience with Belgians. Also get some nuttyness from the malt, hazelnuts which kinda lends it to the chocolate I got on the bouquet. Toasty bread and Allspice notes in there as well. Finishing with a slight bitterness from the hops. My favorite part of this brew is its super smooth mouth-feel.

-Rating: 2.5/5: Not as boozy as I expected from a beer with a 10% ABV. Especially with my past experience with high ABV Belgians. Still has the fruitiness that I’m pretty sure comes with the Belgian yeast and I’m still not a fan. All in all it’s a pretty balanced beer. A quality that I value above almost anything and I wouldn’t steer anyone away from it.

-Cheers!