Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#151

Ratings: 9,600 |  Reviews: 2,808

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

A reliably top notch beer.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

This is exactly what a Quad should taste like. It's near perfection in that category. I just happen to like Tripels more.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

A- This beer poured a beautiful medium to dark brown. It was a little lighter toward the bottom of the glass due to the reflection of my stem of my chalice. Head is very soft and 2-3 fingers high. It is like a puffy white cloud. This magnificent head hangs around on the side of the glass and a film on top that never leaves. When I swirl my glass, it leaves a little marshmallow in the middle.

S- The smell is complex. I get cream, vanilla, and brown sugar. Also, I pick up a subtle hop scent. I also pick up figs with a touch of alcohol to complete. The malt smooths everything over and mends all the different aromas.

T- From the tongue, I pick up nuts (pecans?), chocolate, sweet maple syrup, buttery bread with spices and nice malt.

D- Man, what else to say. This definitely ranks up there with the best I have had. Unreal beer. I could have given a *5* I suppose on certain aspects, but I am still in search for the worlds best beer. This beer is so drinkable, its scary. I think I need a second job now just so I can drink more of this stuff. Loved it!

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV