St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Ratings: 9,541 |  Reviews: 2,796

3.57/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

St bernardus glass, beer served around 8°c

A: Deep red brown color with beige head (nothing special but ok)

S: Fruity with a fresh banana smell, a bit yeasty as well

T: Good balanced between fruity (prune, 'old' cherry and banana) and spicy (liquorice, maybe a subtle coriander touch with a nice bitter and malty after taste

M: Good body, excellent saturation, not too dry

O: Excellent with a good strong cheese (I've tried it with a Herve cheese), I advice to drink this one cold and temperate because both are quite different

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

3.72/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I actually got this bottle from a friend who decided he wasn't going to drink it. Never heard of this beer but, it was free so I will gladly take it.

A: Pours a murky reddish-brown color with about a 1/4 inch off white head that thins down quickly. Still a thin layer of head that just rests on top of the beer.

S: I get the alcohol right off the bat which is accompanied by traces of apple or fig and some molasses. It has a sweet, but funky wine-like aroma to it.

T: Initially, I get some apple or grape flavor followed by the tartness from the fig and molasses. Similar to the smell, but you pick up on more adjuncts in the taste. The finish has just a faint trace of the alcohol, but the flavor is pretty strong.

M: Light to medium bodied beer, coats the mouth slightly but not really heavy. Good portions of sweetness and tartness throughout!

O: I dont drink a lot of quads so I am not really appealed by the funky taste, but I do understand that this is a highly regarded beer and a true Belgian, so I would suggest to give it a try. Im sure after a few more sips and enough time for the beer to warm up, it could be more enjoyable or I will be just to buzzed to care!

4.73/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this both on tap and then, to confirm, from bottle. I can only say, Wow! The smell and taste was all banana & spice a'la banana bread. The mouthfeel was superb: smooth and velvety with possibly slightly more alcohol than I would have ordered. But, nonetheless, that doesn't detract from the overall experience which is fantastic.

I would drink this everyday, but,--like eating chocolate for dinner-- only refrain so as to retain its superiority by experiencing other lesser examples of the genre. I'm still looking for a better Belgian but I haven't found one yet.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV