St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Ratings: 9,503 |  Reviews: 2,790

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured from growler into Sam Adams Turbinator style glass.

A: Beautiful mahogany with a slight haze. Tight little bubbles but head rapidly cedes into very wispy disk with some legs on swirl.

S: Ripe currant, dark cherries, slight bitter orange smell. I am getting the phenolics as others have mentioned, dark roasted malts. A little hint of the booziness.

T: Roasted malt, cherries again. Currants, prune, very aromatic red grapes.

M: Not thick but slightly mouth-filling. Smooth, with the sllight heat coming on at ultimate finish. Not terribly drying. Slight creamy sensation on finish too. Cherry medicine-y breath on breathing out.

O: Yes. More please. I really like this Quad, because it is not necessarily over-reaching and trying to be incredibly complex., however it changes as it warms too. For the better! Try this for sure if you have had quads and like them, like Three Philosophers or Unibrowe quads you'll like this.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

So I am definitely not experienced enough to give this beer a proper review. My big brother had received this as a gift, and so we cracked it open together. I thought I was well versed in beer until I tried this one. I was blown away by the complexity of this brew. I have no idea how they make this, but it must be magic. Few beers have blown me away, and this one humbled me greatly. I know I will come back to it and try to review it in the future. I just know that at this point in my beer adventure I need more time to develop my tastes before I can make a solid opinion.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV