St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Ratings: 9,482 |  Reviews: 2,785
4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

So I am definitely not experienced enough to give this beer a proper review. My big brother had received this as a gift, and so we cracked it open together. I thought I was well versed in beer until I tried this one. I was blown away by the complexity of this brew. I have no idea how they make this, but it must be magic. Few beers have blown me away, and this one humbled me greatly. I know I will come back to it and try to review it in the future. I just know that at this point in my beer adventure I need more time to develop my tastes before I can make a solid opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: hazy, with a smattering of bubbles as a head. The color was an opalescent golden brown.

Smell: Currants and raisins at first, then more toffee and caramel as the beer warms. Then, on to vanilla bean. Excellent layers!

Taste: The first impression is of the dark fruit and melanoids described anove. But medium bitterness forces its way in with welcome assertiveness, along with prickly pear and white pepper. A but too phenolic. Methinks my bottle isn't the best, considering I've had this before and haven't tasted the phenols like this.

Mouthfeel: Mad carbonation, with prickly alcohol warmth that coats the throat. Medium body. Too dry and harsh for the style, in my opinion, but I've had this before, and I think my bottle this time may be a bit bad.

Overall: This is the second time I've tried this beer. The first time, I was blown away. This time around, I felt like I didn't rember the carbonation being so strong, the finish being so dry, or the alcohol being so obvious. Will have to try again.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

St. Bernardus 12 out of a 12 ounce bottle into a Ruination pint glass. Great beer :).

A - 4.75 - Great looking beer, dark brown with a haziness to it, no real head to it.

S - 5.00 - Dark malts (molasses, caramel, chocolate), dark fruits (figs, plums, purple grapes, etc), Belgian yeast, beautiful breadiness to It from the yeast strains at St. Barny's

T - 5.00 - Dark fruits like plums, grapes, figs, etc, dark malts (chocolate, molasses, caramel). Belgian yeast flavor with a nice breadiness/malt taste too

M - 4.75 - Can taste the alc quite a bit depending on the serving temp. Also it has a nice Belgian yeast aftertaste to it.

O - 4.75 - Great beer, can't really complain about anything. Nice dark fruits flavor, good Belgian yeast profile.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV