Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 2,726 | Ratings: 9,194
4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a goblet. A funny thing happened, that I've never seen with a beer. The pour is a dark brown, with almost a violet hue. The pour resulted in a loose bubbly head, that faded away. However, over the past couple of minutes, the beer has generated a new head, that is thick and creamy. Very nice.

The smell is oh so fruity. Dark grapes and cranberry, raisin and plum. A faint whiff of alcohol and a suggestion of candy sugar. I'd say it is about the nicest smelling beer I've had.

The taste... well... so much there I don't think I could list it all, and I don't believe I have the skill to seperate it. It is sweet, but not overly so, and a bit tart in the finish. I can't say that I am able to detect hops, but with so much malt taste going on I'm not surprised. I'll leave others to tell what ingredients the flavour holds. I'll just say that it tastes good.

The mouthfeel is a tad coarse, at least that is what I find with this bottle. It is still pleasant, but I'd call the carbonation a little rougher than it I desire.

Is it drinkable? Well, it's certainly not a beer for chugging, but as far as a high alcohol beer goes, this is a sipper that keeps you coming back.

This is the highest rated beer I've had the chance to taste, and it only strengthens my faith in the BA community's skill at picking out a winner.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a dark brown with a thick head that lasted throughout the entire beer.

Very nice smell. Full of candied sugar, plum, raisins and spices. Taste was just as good as it smelled. Sweet, but not to much, with the raisins, and plum spices really soming out. Bit of alcohol too, but it didn't interfere a all. Very smooth and creamy.

Tried not to let the high ratings influence mine, but this is one of the best beers I've had.

This one need an introduction. Today I decided to stop by my favorite spot (The Collins Bar in New York) after work. I was looking for a pint or two of something with a lot of character, something to savor. A good stout perhaps. When I got to the place and reviewed current offerings, a line jumped out: "Belgian: St. Bernardus 12". Sounds good, I thought. And I'll tell you, I was not prepared for this ale. It was pure perfection in a glass!!! I couldn't stay for long, so from the bar straight to the nearest beer store I went. Picked up a couple of bottles which I am savoring right this minute.

Appearance: Dark brown color. Wonderful off-white head of significant size that leaves behind nice lacing.

Aroma: Maybe it's the picture of a monk on the bottle, but "heavenly" comes to mind. Sweet smells mix with hints of sour fruits. The aroma seems familiar, yet it is a challenge to identify all the components of this wonderful bouquet.

Taste: Maltiness and yeast, fruits and caramel, it's all there. Alcohol is there too, but it works with, not against, the richness of this ale. I think this is the first ale were alcohol taste was complimenting the rest. Makes me feel bad that I do not have enough experience describing all the intricacies of abbey ales. Well, this is not the last time I am drinking this ale, so I'll come back to it.

A noble drink. I think I am in love!!!

This abbey ale is presented in 11.2 oz brown bottle that lists both "best before" date and suggested serving temperature. Cheers to that!

4.73/5  rDev +7%

Finally this comes back to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Paid $7.99 for the large 750mL bottle

Pours a deep reddish-brown with a nice frothy head. Lots of lacing and long retention. The bubbles are so tiny and creamy looking, so inviting.

Smell is sweet and malty, nice candy sugars. Dark fruit, old wood and alcohol.

In the taste I get hit with dark fruits and malts first. They are many mineral tastes (good) that I have only noticed in this and Westvleteren (which I am lucky enought to have tasted side by side) Not nearly as much alcohol in the taste as I thought there would be based on the nose. It't there though, don't get me wrong. There is a little nutty vanilla in there also, but it is passing as you warm up.

The feel of these beer is awesome, creamy and smooth (from those tiny bubbles I guess) and perfect body for the taste.

I don't know if I like it as much as the Westvleteren 12, but given the relative ease of getting the Abt 12 it is a major hit in my book.

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%

Big THANKS to Steelreign for this in trade ! I got a good deal here !

I drank from a bottle at 72 deg. F Cellar temperature.

Pfffttt and it started to bubble in the bottle.
Tons of Creamy Ivory foam head with bubbles ranging from fine to large.

Color is a cloudy deep amber brown (in bright sunlight);
and even withthe glass setting 2 feet away I can smell malt sweet and sour at the same time. First taste is overwhelming sweet and fruity, chocolate & plums Delicious and slightly warming. The alcohol warmth comes at the back of the tongue/nose, but it is smooth. You don't really taste a lot of alxohol, but shortly will feel its affect.

I definately will be looking for more ot this !

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a creamy brown with tons of thick pillowy head that seem to hang around forever.

Smell was slightly sweet with dark fruit smells like raisons and dates mixing with some roasted malt odor.

Taste is very nice, semi sweet fruit flavors mixing with a slight roasted nuttiness and you can taste just a bit of the alcohol. Very Nice!

Mouthfeel is creamy, full, and very warming, perfect!

A fantastic beer, I will enjoy many more of these in years to come.

4.12/5  rDev -6.8%

I'm not sure what the freshness date is on this one. There is a mark at 7, 8 and 9 on the scale along the bottom. There is also a double-label thing going on. The bottle definately got hit with two labels.

It pours a deep murky brown color with a solid 2.5 finger head over top that falls very slowly. The nose is full on raisin and fig character, with a nice spicey character hiding in there as well. The flavor is subdued from the nose a bit. The yeast imparts a creamy character, on top of the sweet raisin and light brown sugar character. Very nice flavor. The feel is moderate, with a light carbonation. I'm finding it to be a sipping beer. Not something I can drink a whole lot of at a time. I like it. Definately not as good as the same beer off tap. I'll re-rate this one when I have it off tap again. Still a nice brew.

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%

330ml Bottle bought from www.belgianshop.com

Poured a dark ruby red / brown colour... Head was a tan / grey colour.
Quite small beading produced a nice think head, but this disappeared quite quickly.

Aroma - Malty, raisin, dark fruits, burnt caramel, aniseed. Maybe a hint of banana...

Taste – Toasted malt, dark fruits - plums. Quite noticable alcohol. Cough medicine ?? Caramel. Quite bitter...

Feel - Smooth with some sharpness... creamy aftertaste...

Overall - A world class beer... not quite up there with the Westy, but not far off...

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Big bodied; poured out dark brown, cloudy with huge head. The aroma is raisin-chocolately sweet. The alcohol is well hidden and doesn't show until the end of the chalice. The taste is a cross of fruit and choclate mixed with a ton of sweet malt and a touch of brown sugar. It is a brew for all to enjoy. The malty sweetness adds to the thick bready mouthfeel. Just a side note; I find little if any difference between this and Westy 12 IMO.

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

The Abt 12 pours a dark mahogany body with a reddish cast beneath a creamy head of tan foam that holds exceptionally well and leaves very nice lace about the glass.

The nose is bready and yeasty with a notes of caramel, sweet vanilla, and delicate dark, dried fruit in the background.

The body is medium-full and it's creamy and a touch zesty in the mouth due to its very fine bubbled, somewhat effervescent carbonation.

The flavor is rich and full with sweet, soft dark fruits (plum, raisin); sweet, caramelish malt; and a touch of vanilla. The bitterness is restrained, but it remains balanced, helped in part by a splash of alcohol. It finishes dry with some lingering vanilla, caramel, and almond.

Quite nice!

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

This one is hard to approach without high expectations. St Bernardus, the jolly monk(and why not??) holding a chalice glass of the stuff on the label seems to exude glee, and the beer seems to as well. Abt 12, or the blue cap bottle, states simply in English on the back "Bottle fermented beer." This bottle poured with a medium head, making it able to pour the full bottle without having to wait for the foam to settle. I was expecting a denser head however, because it did not pour very creamily: more large bubbles than small. The head is a very lightish brown colour, and seemed comfortable and stable as a thin but full topping to the beer. The beer itself is an almost impenetrable ruby-dark brown, appearing near ebony from most angles. Lacing is excellent, leaving thin sheets around the glass that dissipate into islands. The aroma is not very assertive, but when coaxed it is quite delectable. Very sublte dark malting along with black currants and prunes. The sweetness is readily evident in the form of raisins and green apple peel like St Bernardus Tripel. Red wine and red grapes; blueberry; licorice and leather; pears and green apples; and spicy, rummy pepper that tickles the nose. This could almost pass at times for merlot or cabernet wine. A distinct creaminess asserts itself through the whole drink. The aroma is delicious, but not unlike anything I have had before; certainly nothing to make it exceptional for me personally. The taste is full of big flavours: spicy alcohol, rich malts, dark fruits and wine. The front of the tongue senses the red wine taste, tannic and dry. The middle draws out some of the toasted malts, and the finish leaves a balanced nuttiness, equal parts dry and sweet. The carbonation was a little high, and the bottle started to overflow when I popped the cap; not sure why. They have been sitting in my cellar for 2 weeks upright. Far too foamy in the mouth, this bottle. The mouthfeel is still quite thick and lingering however. Drinkability, with the balanced sweetness and small amount of alcohol in the taste, is extremely hight for a gravity such as this. I paired it with brie and 3-year aged cheddar. The brie is mostly overpowered by the beer, but the sharp taste of the aged cheddar could compete and added to the enjoyment and complexity of the beer. I fear these bottles may be a tad defective somehow; not totally, but I think the beer is not at its peak quality-wise. If it IS, though, I have tasted this beer's equal and find it good but not sensational or unique.

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Came in a 330 ml brown long neck Euro bottle as part of a 4 pack. So this is the famous Abt 12, I was happy to lay eyes on it locally.

Poured into a Karmeliet tulip glass, which induced a massive sticky light tan head, 4 fingers at least, with impressive retention. The appearance of the body is an opaque mahogany, bordering on black. Fruity vinuous notes on the nose, green grapes, sherry, fresh currants, with hints of the orchard in the way of peaches and plums and golden delicious apples. The aroma of thick malt can be found resting comfortably below all of this in the form of English toffee. It's all quite a wonderful combination, very light and refreshing aroma for a deep dark 10%abv Belgian.

The flavour doesn't disappoint either. It starts out with that chewy toffee malt, and then gets a direct infusion of raisins, prunes, green grapes and apples, the alcohol very apparent by the middle, converting the flavour and mouthfeel into a more vinuous sherry towards the dry finish, with a mouth puckering aftertaste from the dryness. It's a nice little trip this quadruple takes you on, not too long and not too much to see that you can't take it all in without craning your neck back and forth the whole way, it lets you enjoy it all at a comfortable, leisurely pace.

The mouthfeel starts out thick and chewy, but starts to thin out towards the very dry finish, leaving a sticky residue over the palate as a calling card.

Very fine stuff, I shall be investing in more, but only one at a time for me in a sitting, there's enough within a lone bottle to keep me satiated for the time being. The sign of a fine ale, you know you'd like another one, but it leaves you satisfied enough that you don't need it right now.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogony color with a rich and foamy tan head on top. As the head settles it becomes more creamy and looks almost like it has a thin skin on top. The head leaves excellent lacing on the sides.

Smell: Rich malty aroma with fruit scents of grape and green apple followed by a light alcohol smell. There are some caramel and toffee scents hiding in the buttery maltiness as well.

Taste: As I took my first sip my reaction was an out-loud exclamation to my wife that went something like, "Holy shit this is a good beer." I didn't expect garbage, but I also didn't expect something this good. Oh how I love pleasant surprises. The beer is terribly complex with massive fruitiness, sweetness, and kick ass maltiness. The fruits are very much like the nose with grapes and green apple but there is also a more berry-like character to the fruitiness. Black berries or raspberry seeds and even some cherries. The sweetness blends well with the malty. Caramel, toffee, and a bit of burnt brown sugar pour over a tangy and toasty malt. The maltiness is sweet and lightly floral with a distinct nuttiness (almond, walnut) and woody flavor. More dry grass and earthy bark and dry lemon tree leaves. The ending and aftertaste are sweet with the alcohol flavor and warmth showing up. The alcohol is not strong or burning, but light and it contributes a bit of candy-like sweetness to the aftertaste. That is a very well hidden 10%.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth for such a full bodied beer. Sandy and comfortable. It leaves a light dryness in my mouth particularly on my gums.

Drinkability: Fabulous. Really, it's that good. I thought this beer may have been over hyped but that is not at all the case. This is a truly magnificent beer. There are no offensive or weird flavors. All of the flavors work well together making this a remarkably drinkable beer. All around this is a wonderful beer.

4.73/5  rDev +7%

Time to revisit this magical monk.
From a 33cL bottle poured into a chalice (I think it's cool when you can fit an entire bottle into a glass).
This is the first time I've ever seen little yeast specs floating on top of the head... maybe this is because it's the first time I've poured an entire bottle of a sedimenty beverage into a glass. It looks really cool, as if someone sprinkled cinnamon or clove onto the head.
Frills of bubbles slide up the glass... little yeast floaties are hangin out doing their thing in the beer itself. Has all the head and lacing you could ask of such a brew.
Mysterious and noble in appearance.
I'd like for flowers in the garden to smell like this does... creamy and fruity.
A bit of a sharp roasted malt bite and hops bite on impact. So, so deep and complex in flavor
The alcohol is well used here... not concealed but used as part of a harmony.
Luxurious mouthfeel.
A model citizen of the style.
World class and kick ass.

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

1PT 9.4 FL. OZ.
10% ALC./VOL.

20 10 09 on the cork cap

Cork released easily with an impressive pop.

Appearance – clear brown body with a light steady stream of rising carbonation; massive rocky light tan head that breaks down slowly but always provides containment to the brew below; lace is chunky and sheetlike in segments; as quads go, this is a great presentation

Smell – malty, spicy, grapes, raisin, reasonable zip of alcohol

Taste – yeast and alcohol jump out early; alcohol remains throughout and provides a reminder of the product’s strength later; nutty; red grape; fruity and at times sugary sweet; hops are severely repressed; wine/yeast aftertaste

Mouthfeel – beautifully full for most of the feel with a slight drop at times near the end; smooth rolling open with an occasional, nice crisp accent to close; at times its evenly full; on the mark

Drinkability – so smooth for its size; for a quad, I have yet to run into any more drinkable

If you are settling in for the 25.4 oz., set away some time for an immense sensory experience. As quads go, this is my favorite, hands down.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this one on-tap at David Copperfield's in Manhattan. Nice one, Keith!

My sample poured with a half-inch of head that dissapated quickly.

The aroma was unique - plums, raisins, caramel malt, and just a faint hint of alcohol.

The taste! Wow! What an impressive melody of esters, phenolics... clove, spice, fruit, caramel, and just a little bit of hops...

The mouthfeel was outstanding too. Creamy and rich, but not too full-bodied to be cloying. Nice.

A pretty drinkable brew... just a faint twinge of alcohol in the aftertaste. What a classic.

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pulled this puppy out of the cellar and right into a tulip.

It is a beuatiful brown with a tan head that hangs out before becoming spotty. Smells of dark dried fruit and malt sweetness. It has a lovely taste that livens the tongue, close to an earthyness that makes the fruit all the nicer, slightly dry finish that is enhanced by the bold carbonation. A creamy dream of a treat that is worth the time to get to know.

4.73/5  rDev +7%

A: Bottle art is fantastic, I'd love to have a pint and some cheese with that monk on the label. Pours a light-mocking hazy brown color-I actually put my very bright LED flashlight behind the chalice and saw not a speck of light come through. Head is a creamy tan layer of dense foam with a neat ring of yeast (I think) on top, looks like a ring of cinammon-cool. Head lasts and lasts and leaves lacing that just won't quit.

S: Malty, rum soaked raisins, dark molasses, brown sugar. Tons of stuff going on in the nose, very appealing.

T: Sweet with a hot alcohol bite. Wine-like, rummy fruits. Spicy from the alcohol, sorto a peppery warmth. Yum.

M: Alcohol warmth is pretty high but doesn't seem to detract from this one. Big and chewy. Low feel of carbonation.

D&N: Wonderful beer. Really should try this one if you find it.

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Brewery story and ingredient description on the back of the bottle reinforces the fact that you're drinking a super quality brew and just makes you feel good.

Gorgeous pour. Foggy, dark tannish-amber body. Heavy, thick, billowing head. Big Belgian lace here. A significant amount of small yeast particles floating around. Just a wonderful appearance.

Big yeasty and fruity aroma as soon as I popped the cork. Very nice. Upon a closer nose examination I detect green apple, berries, rum cake, and faint raw alcohol.

Taste is earthy with fruit flavors. Grape, raisin, cherry, banana, clove spice. Finish is a short maltiness and much cleaner than expected. Maybe the slightest lingering hop bitterness.

A very delicate, yet lively carbonation. Airy.

This beer definitely deserves the outstanding status it has received.

4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

pours out a dark caramel color, tan colored head composed of slightly larger bubbles. one of the prettiest beers i've seen. some sediment at the bottom of the glass. not much head retention, decent lace. aroma not as strong as expected, mainly fruits and alcohol. the taste is quite a bit stronger than the smell and it threw me off. the presense of alcohol is a little too heavy. i also picked up a slight metalic taste. the alcohol warms the belly, but it wasn't quite as smooth as i had hoped. i let the bottle sit out for about 35-40 minutes before drinking but since it was a 750, it probably wasn't quite warm enough at the beggining.

definately a fine brew, however i was a little disapointed. i think my expectations may have been built up from such a high rating. if i had 10 dollars and could find it again, i would consider giving it another chance.

4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Hazy orange/brown with a decent stand of tan head. Complex aroma consisting of light maltiness, warm alcohol, grassy and citrusy hops, and white wine fruitiness. Bitterness was on the low side, but plenty of grassy hops were present in the flavour, along with a good malt character. Alcohol warmth and a peppery spiciness appeared at the dry finish. Medium body with moderately high carbonation. This beer was definitely aided by warming up a bit. Though it didn't start out poorly, it did become much more pleasant towards the end of the glass. Thanks Viggo.

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown into my new St. Bernardus glass. Huge foamy head slightly tan-brown that holds for over half an hour. The amount of lace this one leaves is ridiculous; it's just huge sheets of lace that make the glass completely opaque. It's fantastic.

Smell is complex with hints of rum-soaked raisins, alcohol, and fresh fruits.
A little bit of clove in there as well, but just faint.

Taste is rich with dark fruit flavors with the same rum-soaked raisins and the very thick brown sugar flavors. The dark fruits come through as a sort of plum and currant flavor that is very pleasant. So much going on here, and it's just a sweet enough.

The mouthfeel could be a little thicker, I think, but that's the only thing I'd change about this one, and it's very nice as it is. Drinkability is a little low due to the high ABV, but this one is so easy to sip that it could sneak up on you. Quite a nice beer, and one that's definitely worth trying.

4.06/5  rDev -8.1%

The tale of the Quadrupel is one not told enough. The Bernardus Abt 12 is definitely a fine member of the family. With a dark caramel color, large bubbles and good lacing, it was certainly something to look at. The smell was faint with traces of fruits and alcohol. The taste was similar, with the alcohol maybe coming through a little strong though... covering up some of the delicious citrus. Overall, a good beer. I strongly recommend drinking at the proper temp of 50-55, because the flavor certainly improved as it warmed.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

The anticipation of having this beer was through the roof. It had been sitting in my fridge for about a week before I decided to dive into it after a night of homebrewing. It was my reward to myself for finishing my first batch of homebrew, and it did not disappoint.

Deep, ruby and brown color with a perfect, thick, frothy head. I waited about 2 minutes and then poured the last few drops from the bottle which literally sat on top of the head and stained it brown at it trickled thru. Outstanding.

This is one of the best smelling beers, if not the best, that I have ever come across. Chocolate malts, berries, caramel to name a few. I literally went around my apartment to each of my roommate's rooms and made them take a whiff of it. Of course, each of them went, "mmmm" and then proceeded to grab it out of my hands and take a sip.

Of course, the taste was nothing short of amazing. All of the aromas in the aforementioned paragraph were represented in the flavor, so no need to repeat. Great, creamy mouthfeel from this full-bodied beer and the 10% ABV goes completely unnoticed.

A truly exceptional beer, world class by all means. It was hard to find any fault in this beer. Definitely worth the $4 I paid for the bottle and something I will never hesitate to pick up again. Cheers.

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Again, the Belgians are never short on balance. Everything is balanced about this beer. From the pour, to the deep, rich color, to the exciting, malty nose, and the taste....orgasmic. Top ten indeed and the cool thing about Belgian beer...it gets better as you drink it but once the glass is finished, you're pissed off because it's gone. These beers are like a woman with PMS...you run the gamut of emotions with each one.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV