St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Ratings: 9,541 |  Reviews: 2,796

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into tulip glass with 4 finger head

a: It pours very dark, but when held to the light you can see through it a bit.

s: Fruity and bread-y. Plums and banana are prominent. Maybe some coriander as well. I love it.

t: Wow, it is quite complex. At first there was so much going on I couldn't figure out what part this beer was trying to show off. It got better with each sip, as I discovered new layers of flavors as it warmed. It is not very bitter, and only a bit sweet.

m: Not a session beer, but not too heavy. I could see drinking this fairly quickly without it being overwhelming.

o: Fantastic. This is the first beer I've had that I truly feel is perfectly balanced. Highly recommended to anyone who likes beer. I'll definitely treat myself to this again.

3.92/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From time to time there's a famed historic beer whose complexity and acclaim end up being just beyond my perception; I struggle to find the right - or any, for that matter - notes or enjoy the presumed balance such an appraised beer usually carries.

This beer is unfortunately one such case for me. While imposing to sight, it's very tight on the tongue and nose and there's even an evident disharmony in terms of palatal balance with a clear clash between the needling astringency and soapy dexterous finish.

Picking off anything other than dried fruits and alcohol at both nose and tongue feels like an incredibly ambitious task. Even after consecutive frustrated aerations, the beer is left unchanged to my perception; Which is fine. It isn't a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not the world-beater so many profess.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV