St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#149

Ratings: 9,581 |  Reviews: 2,804

3.78/5  rDev -15.2%

A: A thick two finger head. Completely cloudy reddish brown.

S: A ton of sweetness in the nose, both malty and ripe fruit. There's something in the smell that reminds me of champagne.

T: Plum, clove, super sweet. A slight citrus note.

M: Oily, plenty of carbonation.

O: I was pretty excited about this beer, but in my opinion it didn't live up to its reputation. It's a really good Quad, but not a great one. Don't not drink this beer, but I highly recommend drinking the Rochefort 10. Better yet drink them side by side.

3.75/5  rDev -15.9%

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on 2012-12-31 in Columbia, PA

A - Clear dark ruby with a short light tan head and mild lacing.

S - Dark cherry, oak, light-medium roasted grain, clove. Not very strong.

T - Sweet cherry, light roasted malt, light clove and banana, candy sugar. A bit yeasty/estery as it warms. Touch of bitterness in the finish. No bold flavors but well-balanced. I like a bit more oomph in my brews but my wife quite-liked the balance and subtlety of flavors here.

M - Medium-heavy body and light-medium carbonation. Smooth yet a bit bubbly.

O - After tastings of the (arguably) top four Belgian Quads, I would rate them in this order for my personal taste preference:

1 = Pannepot
2 = Westvleteren XII
3 = Rochefort 10
4 = St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Of interest, my wife would rate them in this order:

1 = St. Bernardus Abt 12
2 = Pannepot
3 = Westvleteren XII
4 = Rochefort 10

Quads aren't my favorite style, but I/we enjoyed everything about this beer and the others mentioned above. For the two of us, it came down to a style preference. I like a challenging brew and she likes a well-balanced, un-assuming brew.

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%

75 cl

Pours an opaque wood brown with a light tan head, over an inch, somewhat coarse, which dissipates slowly to a film.

Smells of coriander, bretty yeast, wine, grassy malts, and candi sugar.

Tastes of citrus and bready malts, candi sugar, some mild nutty bitterness and some spices like cinnamon and coriander.

Full body with big fluffy carbonation.

A really good beer. I tried this one because it is supposedly the same as Westvleteran's older recipe and since I will have the opportunity to try that soon, I wanted to be able to compare. I really like this, but I've had a couple quads I like more. Still, I wouldn't pass this one up.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

It was with eager anticipation that I tried this landmark beer. There is no denying that it is representative of 'quads', and as such it becomes the benchmark in comparisons (as placebos are to clinical trials -- Yet, this ain't no sugar pill!)

First, I selected a tulip glass and poured at around 45°F (I prefer a little on the cooler side, as it can warm a little as I sip) It pours with a beautiful foam in a deep brownish-gold, exhibiting a gentle cloudiness of particulate yeast.

Next, I inhale through my mouth first, as to not overwhelm the olfactory senses - faint yeast and malt as to be expected, yet not overpowering. Confirmed with nasal inhalation, and I am pleased at the level of balance, as this is a beer of diligent attention to brewing details.

Foreplay over, we progress to the act of tasting. Notes of a light bitterness, moderate tones of malt, all in a well-balanced exhibition of flavor. I search my mind for ideal food pairings: Wild elk or moose would be appropriate. I think smoked salmon would also provide a pleasing contrast.

Time for cuddles, I mean kudos. This is not my favorite style, and I have previously been disappointed by the offerings of St. Bernardus, yet I am impressed by this product. For my tastes, it is not for down time after work, or as a thirst quencher. This is one to crack open to accompany a wonderful meal.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%