St. Bernardus Abt 12 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 2,732 | Ratings: 9,214
4.52/5  rDev +2.3%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

The first thing that impressed me about this beer was the interesting bottle graphics. Quite funny.

Poured a dense, murky black with only traces of dark brown noticeable on the fringes of the glass. One-finger, foamy, light cocoa head faded to a thick coating of lace with intermittent bubbles. Large, sporadic patches of lacing lasted long after the beer itself was finished.

Smell was incredibly aromatic and sweet. Super malty rich (caramel malts) and yeasty with fresh, ripe fruits and candied sugar. Notes of powdered cocoa and coffee also detectable.

Taste was decadent. Strong malt presence up front (caramel malts) along with sweet, luscious fruits and brown sugar. So pleasant and enjoyable. Spices, dark, dried fruits (raisins, prunes) and dark chocolate became apparent mid-palate. On the back end, sugars and alcohol dominated and became more prevalent as the beer warmed. Noticeable alcohol warming in the back of the mouth and the throat. At 10% ABV, the alcohol was still not overwhelming. Sugary, sweet, resonating aftertaste.

Rich, creamy, smooth mouthfeel.

This is an amazingly complex beer. With each sip I tasted an array of new flavors. An outstanding quad rivaled by few.

4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at Concordia Ale House in Portland, OR.

Poured into a Bernadus Chalice. Two fingered fluffy head that disapated into a nice layer of light fluff along top of beer. Thick lacing remained on side of glass. Beer looks very dark amber to brown.

Smells spicy and malty. Taste follows nose beautifully. Great carbonation that leads to a spicy aftertaste that tickles the roof of mouth. Taste is smoother on draught than from bottle.

It's a bit heavy, more of a fall/winter beer in my eyes. Would be perfect with a sweater. Overall fantastic beer will have again especially when I can find it on tap.

2.78/5  rDev -37.1%

Pours a nice finger width head that falls thin, but doesn't dissapear and leaves a beautiful lacing behind. Color is amber to black.

Heavy roasted malts with slight burnt sugar and a slight fowery hops that do a good job of bringing out the fruit flavors.

Light, hard to taste and watery. Spicy sweet with a slight peppermint and burnt sugar flavors. This was a little dissaponting, I should've rated the one bottle I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is smooth and nice.

I wouldn't have this on tap ever again unless I saw them tap the keg myself.

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a cloudy dark rusty brown color with a thick tan head. The head fades very slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma. Coriander and cloves. It smells fruity also. I smell figs and dates. The alcohol is very well hidden in the aroma. It has an earthy yeast aroma also. It also has a nice sweet molasses aroma.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. The spict flavor is great. It has a pleasent fruity flavor too. It has a spicy hop flavor. As with the aroma, the alcohol is very well hidden in the flavor.

This beer is full bodied, but it goes down smooth. It leaves a very spicy aftertaste. This beer is highly carbonated, going well for the style.

I dont know if this beer would be my first choice as a session beer. Although it dosent taste like it, the alcohol content is up there. Also, the aggressive flavor might become a bit much after too many.

Thank you very much babydoc for this great surprise. I am in you debt.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a Saint Bernardus chalice; pours a rich ruby brown with a lacy tan head. Aroma is terrific; bread and raisins, very appealing. Taste is world class; very little hint of alcohol, with a great blend of yeast, fruit, and malt balanced perfectly. Very smooth drinking, this beer is a fantastic example of the quadrupel. Sitting sipping an Abt 12, watching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup.... what else do you need in life...

3.73/5  rDev -15.6%

This poured a dark cola color into a tulip glass, with a several inch thick frothy head. Giant bubbles slowly dissipated, leaving a healty covering of foam on top of the beer. Lacing was not as good as I was expecting.

Aroma was typical of a Belgian Ale. Strong yeast, fruit, bananas.

Taste was good, but I was really expecting something that would grab me and scream out about how good it was, and this beer didn't do it for me. Slight alcoholicy, sweet, a bit of an overripe banana aftertaste. As beer warmed, alcohol taste came to the forefront. I've had many other beers that I've liked better than this. Very disappointed.

Mouthfeel was good. Very creamy and smooth. Alcohol was waming and bitter as beer warmed. It is very strong, and I could not drink more than one or two at a sitting.

Overall, I don't think this beer is worth the price it commands. It's not a bad beer by any means, but it just didn't do much for me. I'll not spend my money on it again.

4.41/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this one up for maybe $9 at a local Organic Marketplace. Well deserved to drink it after a very big week at work. Absolutely a beaut -- lots of carbonation, lacing, and a fair amount of head retention. Smells of light caramel, fruits . . . a bit "fresh."

A perfect 58 degree temperature makes all the flavors and complexity come out right away. Chewy malt goodness and a taste that is damn near perfect. Would age very well after a few years but I just could not keep it in the cabinet any longer.

Very excited that I can have this practically any time at home for less than $10.

3.98/5  rDev -10%

Appearance - dark reddish body, with a tannish head atop.

Smell - lots of yeast. scents of caramel, and malts.

Taste - lots of flavors are present here, quite different from the usual beers I drink.

Mouthfeel - easy to drink, lots of flavors, abv, and goes great.

Drinkability - will look to have again.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark maple syrup body with lots of carbonation. Fairly big clumps of material floating around. Undulating creamy light tan head. Good retention and lace.
Pleasantly sweet honey scent mixed with raisens and a little hint at the alcohol.
Taste is an incredibly intense rush of sweet in all it's forms; molasses, brown sugar, caramel etc. The alcohol is detectable but it does not reveal the potency of this brew. Aftertaste is a mild malt base with some faint spiced hops.
Full dense body, creamy and smooth. Burning sweet sensation and some coating.
Highly drinkable brew as a sipper.

-Oelergud

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%

standard brown color.

nice carbonation. nice thick head settles into a nice aroma capturing thin cap.

smell is exceptional! carmal malt and fig jump out! a slight bit of citrus high note.

mouthfeel is pure carbonation. bubbles jumping around like crazy. a little over the top for me.

taste is awesome but IMHO way too young this probably needs to sit a couple of years to really fully develop. only thing that jumps out in the taste right now is carmel, dates, and alcohol.

I want to review this again after i've let one sit for at least a year! I'm not sure it's fair to review such a young ale that needs alot more time to mature!

I could drink this all night if not for the high potency!!!

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a deep amber tea color with a half finger head that melted to thin lacing which never ended.
Aroma Alcohol, dried fruits, raisins, plums, grapes, brandy.
Taste is sweet dried fruits,gentle spices and again, brandy.
Aftertaste is warm, sweet, slightly cloying.
Mouthfeel is incredible.
This is a very difficult beer to describe when one word says it all....
Exceptional.

Worst part is, you never, ever notice the alcohol.
I'm afraid this one could definitely get the better of me...it is too easy to drink and too desirable.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

11.2 oz bottle stored and served at 60 degrees.

Pours a rich opaque brown color with a nice foamy cream colored head that slowly drops to leave a thin layer of bubbles. Aroma is complexity of dark fruit, spices, pepper, clove with some maltyness include some dark roasted malt. First taste goes down very smooth with good touch of warming. Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation. Sweet malt up front but most of the flavor kicks in toward the middle and end with strong notes of pepper, malt, and clove.

Concidering the deep complexity of this beer it is amazing how smooth it actually is. Also concidering it costs about half of a Westy or Rochefort it seems like a great deal.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

The only reason this beer didn't get a perfect 5 on all fronts is because I got a little weak in the knees after smelling it.
Probably the best beer I've ever had the priviledge of tasting. I got to drink this serious beverage out of its 750 ml bottle, and enjoyed every small sip of it. From the three-finger head to the last breath of quality, few beers can compare to the quality and flavor that the Abt. 12 brings to the table.
It is so hard to describe something so beautiful; so I feel almost at a loss to even try.
In all reality...epic is the only word that exists in the same realm as this ale; so I will leave it at that.

One of the best.

Malt flavor and dark color. Beautiful aroma. The best belgian quad that I have ever had. tastes a little better in the 750ml cork bottle over the 11.2oz bottle. A nice winter warmer. I prefer Abt 12 over Rochfort 10 any day. I like to pair this brew with some strongly aged abby cheese. Can drink this at any time of year also.

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a dark, rich, translucent brown with mild carbonation and a fluffy, creamy head that refused to subside significantly. I watched a bit of sediment settle to the bottom--was I supposed to leave that in the bottle? Oh well.

Smelled like chocolate malt mixed with champagne. Very appealing.

Tasting this beer for the first time was a memorable experience. The odors translated well to the palate, the malty chocolate flavor with the bittersweetness of champagne, along with the tartness of cherries and a dash of caramel. The champagne and malt prevailed in the aftertaste.

I tend to be heavily critical on mouthfeel - if it burns my tongue, is too heavily carbonated, or leaves a skunky aftertaste, I lay into it. But this one is very easy on the palate. Although I can definitely feel it, I can barely taste the alcohol. It doesn't burn, it doesn't fizz, and the aftertaste is a gentle malty caramel, almost like a classy version of Milk Duds.

I'm still fairly new to the Belgian beer scene, but based on what I've tried, this one reminds me of a Tripel in its champagne-like bittersweetness (I base this interpretation mainly on Westmalle's Tripel) with the added layers of malt and chocolate.

This is an unusual beer, and not one I'd drink on a daily basis, but it is definitely enjoyable and I deeply respect its balance and complexity. It's unusual for a beer with this many flavors to go down so smoothly with no one layer dominating the others.

I picked this bottle up for $4.49 for an 11.2 oz bottle, and I'd consider that a steal. I already had several of these shipped directly from Belgium without ever having tried them, and although I'm kicking myself for not realizing it was available for sale just 5 miles from my apartment, I am definitely looking forward to trying several more.

This is one of the most pleasing beers I've ever had. I'd like to face this one off against the Trappistes Rochefort 10 and see which one I truly prefer. Both are fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a chalice

Poured absolutly picture perfect. looked pretty much exactly as the one in the hand of the monk drawn on the label does

a rich dark garnet, mahogany with hintgs of gold, pretty damn rich and opaque looking and topped off with a pillow creamy cloud of a head, which at first exceeded the rim of the glass, at a roughly 2 finger height but settled nicely to a thick one finger head.

Scents of dark fruit, perhaps cherry, bready malts, some nutty hints. Wine like alchohol is present in the nose

Nutty brown sugary malt flavors mix with those of cooked fruit bombard your mouth first. Finishes with some complex grain flavors and an almond aftertaste.

Starts off very bubbly then get some what chewy and doughy finishes with a small burst of cabonation very clean and dry finish

The only thing that keeps this from being a 5.0 on the drinkability scale is it's deceptivly high ABV

3.38/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle, best before 7/23/10. Pours a reddish brown with a big fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is sweet dark fruits, fusel alcohol and some bitterness. It becomes a bit more pleasant as it warms.

The flavor is some sweet and sugary dark fruit with a lot of belly-warming strong alcohol. As it warms, more fruitiness and a slightly bitter, bready yeastiness comes out to balance the alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium with some harsh carbonation.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I let this sit for about 15-20 minutes before starting, but it was still a bit harsh at the beginning. As it warmed, it became much better. You can definitely tell all of this breweries' beers are related. Decent stuff, but not all that in my book.

4.2/5  rDev -5%

Sampled: 3.23.06

Appearance is a cloudy dark brown under a half inch head that fades to a lace in under a minute.

Smell is licorice, wood and raisins. I pick out tangy cider in the mostly malt ridden aroma as a whole. Complex, but mingling nicely.

The flavor is malted barley up front, deeper inspection finds dark fruits and more cider from the nose. A delicious beer. Slight alcohol adds spice to the mix, but never overpowers. The brew is of medium carbonation and sits in the mouth well.

This beer is made to savor, with its ABV and its price-to-quantity ratio considered, but can be drunken at a steady pace if you really wanted to. My advice is enjoy it slowly.

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours dark brown with a light-tan head which leaves plenty of lacing behind as it drops to a finger thick. A thin layer of head retains well throughout the drink.

S - Chocolate, juicy dark fruits, spicy alcohol, caramel.

T - The dark fruits and chocolate are upfront with some caramel and brown sugar in the middle. Spicy alcohol is ever present but really comes forward towards the end and into the aftertaste, but is never over the top.

M - Initially sharp before becoming creamy and then dry into the aftertaste. Low to medium carbonation.

D - Given the ABV this is very drinkable. An excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured out of the corked and caged 750ml bottle into a tulip. Poured a dark brown with a nice thick head. Wonderful head retention and lacing throughout the duration of the beer. The smell is more complex than my brain can process. I pick up many fruits (plum, cherries, banana and even apples) along with a nice malt and yeast aroma. The high ABV sneaks into the nose as well but is not overpowering. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. Taste is extremely complex. Some sips I will get a delicate combination of fruit while others I will get a darker malt/chocolate taste. These tastes are followed up by a large alcohol kick. This brew gets better and better as it warms up and even more of the flavors come out. Overall, this is hands down one of the finest brews in the world.

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

Note: Originally listed as Westy 12 on tap. Uhh, no. Call me a drunken dope. Now under its rightful brew...

I used to be an agnostic.

Pours a dark cloudy brown, with a thinnish cream colored head that has good staying power. The aroma is dark fruitiness, sweet maly, chocolate, and alcohol - huge.

One of those beers that, after you take a sip, you put it down, take a step back, and stare at the glass. Starts off with dark fruity maltiness (sugar plums, apricots and figs) with caramel, toffee, and toast joining in, followed by a bitter-chocolatey sweetness/bitterness in perfect balance. Then the alcohol joins in. This may be the best tasting beer I've ever tried. Simply stunning. The finish is merely a continuance of the taste. The mouthfeel is like liquid velvet. You'd never guess the strength from drinking it until you've had two and realize that walking is now a bit more problematic.

I had this in bottle many years ago,and enjoyed it. On tap it is near perfection. My guess is that the monks don't care about being celibate after a few of these.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

I had this brew in my cellar for a few months, and after some good news I couldn't resist any longer and decided to treat myself. This was a good beer to celebrate with.
It poured into my Duvel snifter a lovely opaque medium brown with sediment on the bottom, a huge off-white, almost tan head, which had remarkable retention and left some of the most exquisite lacing I've ever seen. It was there until the end of the tasting.
The aroma was fantastic. Dark fruits, sweet fruits, malts, bread dough, yeasts, alcohol, vanilla and spice, clove, mild citrus even. It was heavenly.
The taste was just as complex as the nose. Brown sugar, bread doughs and yeasts, vanilla, clove, sweet malts, caramel, dark fruits, over-ripe sweet fruits, alcohol, rasins.
The feel was a little astringent up front with the carbonation and alcohol, but it immediately smoothes out, leaving a sweet and creamy taste lingering, finally finishing with a buttery feeling on your tongue, almost like eating a buttery vanilla caramel. I've never tasted anything like it.
This was as cose ot perfectly balanced as I've experienced. It was complex, full of subtlety and flavor. I could easily sip this all night long and then ask for another just to start the olfactory and taste jouurney all over agian; because thats what it is. It truly evolves as it warms and as you get accustomed to its nuances.
This is one of the very few that livedd up to the hype. It is excellently crafted and should be tried by any kind of beer lover.

I had high expectations for this beer, I mean, it is one of the most lauded Quads.

What a worthless beer! Let's break down the stats on this guys:

It looks awesome! A deep garnet with a dishwater head that just won't quite! No matter how long you let it sit, the head just won't go away. No matter how much my moustache releases oils that cause lesser heads to fail. Too bad it's all downhill from there.

It smells like curacao oranges. Why in the world would I want beer to smell like oranges?

And the taste? Nasty yeast gets into a terrible trainwreck with curacao oranges, toffee, and chocolate. Terrible.

The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. The excessive use of sugar leads to a paper thin body -- so what do they do to compensate? Equally excessive use of crystal malts. Sticky sugars mingling with thinner-than-water body. Terrible.

Drinkability? I could barely finish choking down my 8 ounces of it. I'm just glad that my girlfriend was able to take care of the rest of the 750.

Yuck!

4.06/5  rDev -8.1%

Good head retention thats lasting the entire beer. Tight bubbles. Smell is somewhat nutty with lots of yeast. Caramel. Taste is yeastier than other 12's. Malty flavor with hints of raisins and caramel. Alcoholic aftertaste with a brown sugar finish. Nice silky mouthfeel. Nice beer

4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 11.2oz. bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.
Best before 13 10 10 on back label.

Fine looking brew, dark brown, auburn in color. Three quarter inch thick clumpy off white head forms. Excellent head retention, and tons of delicate sticky lacing. Mostly smells of malt, ripe fruits, like apples and pears, spices and just a touch of alcohol. Lots of rum soaked fruit flavors, semi sweet and tart, with a slight sourness. I guess a little of everything. Finishes a little dry, leaving a spice and alcohol twangyness on the tongue. I don't know if twangyness is a word, but thats how it feels. A very smooth sipping beer, very easy too drink. A suttle warm feeling fills the belly from the 10% abv. Overall a very enjoyable anad comes highly recommended.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV