St. Bernardus Prior 8 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by kbub6f on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 2,422 |  Reviews: 1,059

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance. Deep mahagony red in color. First pour is very clear, but becomes more cloudy as the yeast sediment gets disturbed after each pour. Many streams of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Pours with 4 fingers of head that dissipate leaving a gorgeous helix of lacing around the side of the glass. About a finger of head is maintained throughout.

Smell. Substantially sweeter than its big brother abt. 12. Lots of prune, molasses and candied fruits. Also, somewhat floral, in a estery way.

Taste. Starts off a bit nutty, almonds and walnuts. Sweetness builds with some raisin and dried dates. A very slight (and I mean very slight) bitterness balances out the sweetness perfectly. Some lighter ester flavors come in and really dance on the tounge for a while. The finish is very balanced, with some of the sweetness, yeastyness and bitterness and is semi dry.

Mouthfeel. A superb amount of carbonation (the cork flew out of the bottle at the first chance it got). As soon as the beer hits the palate, it turns to wonderful froth, delivering the flavors perfectly (especially the yeast flavors). The body is moderate, but the quite dry the entire time.

For me this one was just amazing, though I may have a bias toward this type of beer. Hugely complex and a lot sweeter than its big brother, better looking too.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2oz served into a Chimay chalice. Best by: 20/07/16

A - Garnet brown with an active cream colored head that never breaks.

S - Spice bread, earthy yeast, dates, raisin, toasted banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, alcohol vapors.

T - Figs, nutmeg, spice bread, dark Belgian candy, green banana, dark cherries, plums, herbal spice bitterness. Really dries off on the finish.

M - Moderate airy carbonation, heavy side of medium.

This hits all the marks of an incredible Abbey ale. A well constructed beer with great flowy carbonation, dark fruits, rich bready malts, interesting spice profile, and a snappy dry finish.
I only wish I had a 750ml instead of on 11.2oz bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from small bottle into snifter glasses. Bought at Whole Foods in Potrero Hill, San Francisco.

A: Hazy brown. Small-medium head.

S: Candy sugar, floral honey. It smells sweet, but in a fruity and pleasant way.

T: Fruity and floral; candy sugar sweetness, rather than caramel.

M: Medium body and medium-high carbonation.

O: A pleasant, fruity dubbel.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A: between a dark raisin and earthy moist soil

S: to be honest, reminding me of moscato with a deep yeasty sense about it

T: Light and pungent (if that makes sense). To me the alcohol is very evident at first and dissipates very quick to allow room for a very pleasant, yet bitter effect. Loved the way the beer tasted as it mellowed in my mouth.

M: high carbonation effect throughout my mouth. The bubbles seemed to explode all over my tongue. Dry feeling, almost reminded me of what my mouth feels like when I'm a little thirsty (almost as if to get me to drink more haha)

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I feel likes it's a very drinkable beer with a lot of punch at the start. Makes me think of sprinting at the start of a race and quickly calming down to a nice and slow walk.

Good stuff from these guys. Still liked Abt 12 better but I guess it's just a different beer all together.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

St. Bernardus Prior 8, 22 oz. bomber: A good Belgian dubbel is an amazing experience. The Prior 8 has a dark caramel color and the big head as is common with the St. Bernardus products. The aroma is good, but could be bigger and have more of the Belgian yeast that I expect out of a Belgian beer. Good flavor, but overpowering in a raisin flavor note. Lacking the big rock candy flavor that ruins some dubbels (in my opinion), but too much of the raisin flavor and not enough complexity. Not enough Belgian yeast coming through (but I did not swirl the yeast in, so that may be my fault). So the rating is good, but I was expecting more.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown slightly cloudy beer with a small head.

S: The smell of sweet gum, lime and anise.

T: Slightly bitter taste, slightly sweet, slightly anise and mint.

M: Strong carbonation and a fairly foam feel.

O: Not easily drinkable, with a nice aftertaste.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

11.2oz (best by 8/11/2014) into a chalice. Just like St.B. tripel, as soon as I pop the cap it starts to gush - this time I'm ready. And just like the tripel, no matter how carefully I pour a bunch of dark chunkies find their way into my glass.

Pours a murky mahogany w/ lots of floaties, ample carbonation.

Aroma is fruity esters, plums, raisins, bready Belgian yeast.

Taste is dark fruit, bready yeast, clean water. Really simple yet still complex.

Mouthfeel is very dry and light, evaporates off the palate.

Overall an outstanding dubbel, possibly my favorite. Wish there weren't so many chunks but in the end, a minor detraction.

St. Bernardus Prior 8 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV