St. Bernardus Prior 8 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Dubbel

Added by kbub6f on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 2,422 |  Reviews: 1,059

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Reviewed from notes taken on 4-23-11.

Prior 8 appears a deep, mahogany-brown color with a pillowy, puffy, three-finger head when poured into a large snifter. The bottle was an immediate gusher. The color of the head is khaki-cream, and the scale of the lacing it leaves behind is huge- gobby, sticky, and phat.

The smell is straight sweet, bready goodness. I smell lots of candied fruit aromas- apple, raisin, plum, date, and dried cherry. The fruitiness melds with brown sugar and a light caramel influence. Some clove and pepper scents lend a spicy element, and doughy, sweet, almost cinnamon roll aromas also arise from the beer. The spicier smells really come through when the beer is agitated.

This is a very good, balanced flavor. The brown sugar taste blends seamlessly with the dark, sweet fruits and the spicy notes. There is an ever-so-slight phenolic flavor which adds an interesting twang to the overall taste. The finish is spicy, earthy, and decently drying.

Prior 8 has a solid, medium-full mouthfeel with a good creamy body in the middle of each quaff. I get a tangy feel on the tip of my tongue at the beginning and end of each sip, with a nice dryness on the sides of my tongue at the end of the sip.

This is a very good Dubbel. If anything, it might be a tad sweet and tangy, but overall I found it very tasty and satisfying.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I picked up a bottle of St. Bernardus Prior 8 today for $10.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been eyeing this bottle up for a while now and I wanted to get something that I wouldn't normally get for my birthday so I decided to pull the trigger and give this beer a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know this beer can handle some age so I'm not worried. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a goblet.

A- The label on this beer looks good, the monk on the front lets you know that your dealing with a real Trappist beer. The cork came out with a nice pop and good amount of smoke, it also started to gush a little so I quickly got it into the goblet. It poured a really hazy muddy brown color that turned into a nice copper color when held to the light and it had two and a half fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end. This is a good looking Dubbel.

S- The first thing that I pick up is tons of malts that are rich and have a high amount of sweetness to them, they impart some brown bread and nice dark fruit aromas, mainly raisins and plums. Next I pick up candied sugar and that typical Belgian yeast. This beer has a good and traditional aroma.

T- The aroma is pretty similar to the taste. It starts off with all those rich and sweet malts that I picked up in the aroma and thankfully they have a only a medium amount of sweetness that isn't too overpowering and works well with this beer. The malts impart some toffee and toasted bread flavors. All the dark fruits that I picked in the aroma make their way into the flavor along with some Belgian yeast that imparts some spicy and slightly fruity flavor. The finish is slightly sweet with pretty much no bitterness, and it leaves me with a nice dark fruit and malty aftertaste. This is a good tasting Dubbel and is the definition of being true to the style.

M- Very smooth, slightly dry, medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation that became a little prickly. I like the mouthfeel but I think it had a little too much carbonation.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty damn good Dubbel that is exactly was a classic and traditional Dubbel should be, this beer really epitomizes the style, with great balance and some nice complexity. This beer was really drinkable, at first I didn't think it was going to be because of it's sweet aroma but it wasn't that sweet in the flavor, it went down very smooth and had enough flavor to hold my attention, if I wasn't sharing this with my brother I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle. I liked pretty much everything about this beer, it is just about everything that a good Dubbel should be. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of prickly carbonation, it wasn't that bad I just wish it wasn't so prickly. I would for sure buy this beer again, mainly for special occasions, it's got good flavor with some good drinkability to go with it, I recommend giving this beer a try, it has all the aspects that a good Dubbel should have. This was a nice beer to celebrate my birthday with, it had some nice complex flavors without being too big and boozy, if I had more I think I would be content with drinking this all night. Those monks really have this style down and this beer showcases what years and years of hard work can do, this is the best Dubbel I have had to date and I can't wait to see what their Tripel and Quad are like.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: amber color with a thick off white head that gives way to fine lacing. Looks sticky.

S: complex smell involves fruity esters, malt, sweetness, and the yeast/spice.

T: taste is much the same, with some buttery notes and is not as pronounced as the 6.

M: smooth, but medium carbonation and medium body. Fine carbonation as it should be.

O: well done, could be my favorite of the style.

St. Bernardus Prior 8 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV