St. Bernardus Pater 6 | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2002

Ratings: 1,596 |  Reviews: 715

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

This beer poured out a strange hazy brown/watered down purple kool-aid color that I have never quite seen before (although the closest colored beer I have drank like this is Trois Pistoles.) The aroma is of sweet caramel malts and figs. The initial flavor is dominated by sweet and earthy tones, then towards the end of the swallow a spicy dryness steps in the the flavor profile. This beer leaves your mouth a little dry and thirsty for another drink with a residual sweetness hanging on your tongue. The level of carbonation seems a bit high for this as well. This is a good solid beer and this is the first time I have had it. It is good to be had and get it off of my BA checklist, but if I ever want another St. Bernardus I much prefer the 12 (the quad-which is easily one of my favorite beers out there.)

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Poured into a goblet. Hazy dark brown with a thin off-white head.

S: Toasted malt and belgian yeast. Clove, bubble gum, tropical fruit. Aroma is a little weak.

T: The clove and tropical fruit hit right up front and then there is a roasted malt flavor that mixes with the peppery clove in the finish.

M: High carbonation that gives the beer a peppery spice. Might be a little too carbonated as it foams up too much. Also a bit of a watery feel.

O: Didn't expect anything less from St. Bernardus. Quality stuff. Only knocks would be a bit watery and the carbonation is a bit high.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a my St. Bernardus Watou goblet.

Appearance: My pour is a hazy faded caramel brown color with ruby edges. A fluffy eggshell cap leaves nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is a bit soft. Caramel malt and cocoa are most noticeable, with spicy Belgian yeast and dark fruits in the background.

Taste: The flavor starts sweet and stays that way all the way through. Caramel malt brings out some cocoa, molasses, and brown bread in the malt. A fairly soft dark fruit presence of figs, dates, and raisins is gentle and fairly hard to distinguish. A bit of clove and other spices are present in the middle and leading to the end. The finish is clean, with a little spice and a soft sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The creamy carbonation never stops, it just keeps coming. The very intense carbonation scrubs away any residue after each sip and goes beyond creating a smooth feel. There is a light graininess noticeable after a few sips as well. The body drinks on the light side for the style.

Overall: The carbonation is really the X factor in this beer. The nose and flavor are nice and standard for the style, but the carbonation really explodes on the tongue. I think it takes a little bit away from the experience, but this is still a nice beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into St Bernardus chalice.

Pours a dark amber/brown color. Beautiful, fluffy, slightly off white head pours exactly a finger. Seems to have moderate carbonation. Laces beautifully.

I love St Bernardus beers for their complexity. Nice sweet malts reach the nose first, complemented by a big whiff of dark fruits. Slight Belgian spice note as well.

Tastes every bit as wonderful as I imagined it did when I first saw it. Very similar to aroma. Sweet malt is the initial taste mixed in with a few spices interwoven in a complex manner (coriander and brown sugar?). Dark fruits come sweeping through and then transitions back to showcase the malt. A tad bit of warming alcohol comes through after a few sips.

Medium body and medium amount of carbonation. Could drink this for awhile. Pretty drinkable, but I think I will savor it for an hour or so.

A very nice Belgian dubbel, granted I haven't had many actually Belgian dubbels. Previously thought I wasn't a huge fan of the style, but I think I have changed my mind. Looking forward to trying a few more from St. Bernardus.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Arrived at my table in a St. Bernardus Goblet.

A) A very dark amber to brown color. Nearly a finger of off white head. Okay head retention. No lacing noted.

S) Not as powerful as the 12 but that is probably to be expected given the style. A very nice aroma of sweet malt, some dark fruits, cider and spice.

T) Very pleasing taste. Nice malt sweetness, a hint of brown sugar, light spice, some raisin, earthy. Nice finish and aftertaste.

M) Medium body, maybe a tad heavier, decent amount of carbonation, but not prickly. This was quite smooth. Well done.

O) Really enjoyed this. I know they are different styles, but I can't help but compare it to the 12, which I liked just a little better. You really can't go wrong with either. The bottom line is St. Bernardus makes some mighty fine brews.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

33cl bottle poured into St. B's goblet.

Pours a murky amber/brown with billowy 1/2 inch off white head.

Nose has everything you're looking for in a dubbel: dark fruits (figs, plums, raisins), maybe some cola notes in there as well.

Taste is spot on with an enjoyable carbonation paired with the Belgian yeast notes and dominating dark fruits. Dark sugars come out post-sip.

Really an excellent beer that I don't think could be improved upon too much. An excellent example of a dubbel and one that should be a benchmark for other dubbels.

3.59/5  rDev -12.2%

Beautiful light muddy coloration with a long lingering taupe head.
The Nose yields belgian yeast, sweet candy, and a hint of spicy phenols, for some reason the whole aroma profile is very mild.
Some sweet caramel, rock candy and sour acidity on the tongue. I didn't expect any of the sour but there it is and I like it. A light medium body with sudsy carbonation and a hint of stickiness round out the mouthfeel.

I enjoyed it but I really expected more from SB than this. It was too light of body, the nose was too mild and the flavor was interesting but reserved.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

33Cl poured into St. Bernardus Goblet

A- Very dark murky amber with a 1 finger head

S- Dark fruits, including grapes and figs. Some pilsner. Some bitterness from the hops. Belgian yeast.

T- Wow, this is so much easier to drink and less bitter then what the smell had me believe. A faint Bready-ness and dark fruits to follow up, Plenty of malts to back it all up. Somewhat sweet. Very delicious.

M- A remarkably smooth and silky character, good carbonation. Easy to go down but you want want to drink more then a few of these. A drinkable beer by all means

O- I bought a 4 pack with a wine glass that included the 6, 8 and 12 as well as the triple. I was very skeptical about spending 22$ on four beers that I have never had but this beer is amazing and I look forward to testing the others.

St. Bernardus Pater 6 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV