Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by seaoflament on 10-23-2007

Reviews: 679 | Ratings: 2,077
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

I can't remember exactly what this tasted like. That's the problem w/ having a Christmas beer party... there's so many good ones but they all blur. I think I slightly prefer Scaldis Noel

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Muddy bronze color with a goofy head. Aromas of bubble gum and cough medicine (not in a bad way). The flavors were of raisins ("purple" popsicle from childhood) and some yeast and candi sugar. This may be good after a year in the basement for next Christmas, but I'll take the Abt 12 first.

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Bought this as seen in the local liquor store flier. Paid about 12$ for a 3/4 litre bottle. Waited until new years eve to open this baby up since I read many good reviews (and the high alcohol percent) and I don't get drunk often. First time drinking a Quadrupel.

Look: Bottle under pressure, pours a dark thick mixture with two inches of head that seems to stay. Color is a deep chestnut or dark brown teddy-bear color. Opaque and muddy. Almost black but brown hues show through.

Smell: Smells like a boozy concoction reminiscent of other craft beers. I tend to have trouble picking out smells. Maybe somewhat fruity/ plumy/ brown sugar like.

taste/mouthfeel: First sip tastes slightly boozy with multiple tastes dancing over the tongue. Deep, thick and complex. I know by the end of the bottle I will be feeling the alcohol. Concurrent sips start to form more palatable tastes and is somewhat sweet, easy to drink, yet heavy. (Brown?) Sugar shines through with each sip. Might be a tad of plum/fig. Creamy? The heavy taste hides the alcohol mostly.

Conclusion: A heavy boozy treat to share with a friend or two. May not be my favorite style, I prefer more golden, red, or lighter colored ales and beers. Reminiscent of a beer flavoured wine. Beware, this sweet easy to drink booze treat might be empty before you realize you've had too much.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My 150th review, on Christmas night.

Poured from a corked and caged 75 cl bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a murky mahogany, with hints of red when held up to a light. Two fingers of thick, frothy off-white head. Tons of lacing.

Smell: When I opened the bottle, I got a whiff of cinnamon and gingerbread, but I didn't really get that in the glass. In the glass, all I can really get is the belgian yeast.

Taste: An intense, sweet and tangy roasted-chocolate flavor is the first thing that hits the taste buds. Tangy fruits are there in the background, as is the belgian yeast. A definitely burn from the alcohol as it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly, incredibly high carbonation, almost to the point of it being painful on the tongue. I realize that most Belgians are highly carbonated, but this is one of the most intensely carbonated beers I've ever tasted. It is nice and creamy, though.

Drinkability: A definite sipper, both due to the carbonation and the high alcohol. An enjoyable beer, too, although I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more of a...special, or holiday, feel to this beer - it tasted almost generic, and there wasn't something that made it stand out. I would certainly have it again, but it's not one I would spend hours searching for. I wouldn't mind having one of these on hand to age, though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark ruby red color. Looks black at first, but when held to the light, it is deep red. Forms a very large tan head, pour this one carefully, or you will overflow your glass with foam.

The smell is very malty, but I can detect some spice as well. Pepper, licorice, and cinnamon come to mind as I'm smelling it.

Fruity with a hint of spice. Raisin and a bit of cinnamon apple, with a bit of pepper behind it. There is some nice alcohol warming at the finish.

The feel seems a bit weak for the style, I was expecting a bit more presence.

A decent beer, but not as complex as I was expecting. I have had several beers of this style, and it doesn't quite match up to the best of them. Still, it is a nice beer to drink on a cold night, and glad I tried it.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

I like the normal St. Bernardus offerings, so I picked this up for the season and ended up drinking it on New Year's Day.
Pours a darker brown than their normal abt 12 and it has a massive tan head. After the head started taking over I had to lighten up on the pour a little. Pretty impressive for something this potent.
Smells chocolately, raisin-like, and boozy. There's a little bit of a floral hop presence, too. The Belgian yeast is in check a little bit, but it's there.
Tastes boozier than I expected. It also has a pretty sharp hop bite in the finish, too. Flavors are of roasted nuts, caramel, chocolate, and sugars. Nothing really unusual to be honest, but a standard dark Belgian ale with more alcohol burn and hops.
Mouthfeel's thick and chewy, but that's what a beer like this needs.
It took me about an hour and a half to finish my half of the bottle and when I was done, I was done for the evening. It's just a little too much considering I didn't find the flavor to be all that unique.
Not bad, but I'm not sure it's anything I'll pick up again unless it's on sale.

3.56/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looked nearly perfect in the light, tiny jets of carbonation raced through the hazy chestnut liquid, with a fluffy head of tan foam. Every so often, larger bubbles would be carried upward from the bottom, powerless in the slipstream.

Strong aroma of bubblegum/banana from the yeast esters. Slight sweetness, bordering on cloying.

Deeply malty flavors with light fruit and nuttiness. A bit too sweet for my taste, but it's not overdone. Dry finish hints at the high abv, but it's hidden in the taste. I'm happy that I shared this at a holiday party instead of trying to drink the whole thing myself.

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1/2-3/4" head that lasts

dark hazy amber

filled two glasses with an inch for person #3 to try.

Not much of a smell, maybe a wiff of banana bread?

The alcohol flavor is not overpowering at all but you can tell its there if you swish it around. Definite taste of a variety of spices but not that jump out so much you can place them. Carbonation as it goes down. Flavor fades quickly at first. Warm staying power as it goes on.

A warming, not over-powering, satisfying winter ale.

(Even the MGD drinker at the table thought it was ok.)

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle, poured into a snifter at room temperature.

A: Pours a rich, deep bronze-brown, and forms a fantastically thick head with good retention. Fairly clear, enough to see the bubbles rising from the bottom. Lacing is rather remarkable - this amount of froth and lacing should not even be possible for a 10% ABV beer!

S: Sweet malt and yeast, wreathed through with plum, fig, and cherry notes. The candi sweetness is of course present, along with just a tinge of funk.

T: So, that's what a quad with cinnamon in it tastes like. There's significant heat in this, from a combination of cinnamon spice with noticeable alcohol. Sweet malt, candi sugar, and dark fruits, particularly cherry, are all present, but beneath the spiceahol mix. The finish leaves a lingering burn.

M: Rather thin and sharply carbonated for a quad, actually. I was expecting something stickier, given the head and lacing.

O: I am rather underwhelmed by this beer, especially from St. Bernardus. The Abt 12 is spectacular, but this does not disguise the alcohol content half as well - instead, it disguises the underlying yeast flavors with alcohol and spice. I wouldn't say it is a bad beer, but I would not go out of my way to have it again. Perhaps if I were to encounter it on tap somewhere for a decent price per pour.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Massive 80% head in the glass. Settles steadily leaving spotty lace on the glass. Cloudy light brown color.

Sugar candy and alcohol are the dominant aromas. Mild hop in the background.

Creamy with a mild sweetness and the archetypical Belgian flavor from the yeast. Alcohol is potent and adds to the rich body. The swallow has a faint touch of hop, but it's a predominantly sour malt flavor. The aftertaste is brief.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

deep mahogany with sudsy head that, predictably, didn't really last

strong dark fruit with some vinous and even genuinely winey elements. slight airy hops, cinnamon

warming and spicy. mouthfeel is good and provides a decent palette on which to base the tasty brew. plenty of dark continental malts. with time the breadier variety of malt experiences begin, taking the place of the fruitier kind bit by bit. cola. despite the heat to be expected of a 10% beverage, this one doesn't really have it; though warming, very drinkable

that being said, it's not all that impressive, to be honest

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

The classic St. Bernardus packaging was themed in red and green on this bomber, and the jolly monk had donned a Santa Claus hat as snow covered the brewery shield. Is this going to really be “bringing heavenly nectar within reach” as promised? There was only one way to find out.

The cork came off with a loud pop, but the beer stayed put inside the bomber. As I poured it into a St. Bernardus goblet, the beer was murky brown in color, and the head was only one finger tall. The aroma was heavy with anise and had some banana notes as well. The taste seemed like a watery version of the Abt 12, except it seemed almost salty. The dark malts seemed to be struggling to rise above the huge carbonation sting. There were overtones raisins, figs, red apples, and brown sugar, but everything seemed to be diluted with club soda. The alcohol was well hidden as expected. There was some earthy yeast flavor in the taste as well. I'd say that this was quite a complex beer, but not all aspects of complexity were working towards a cohesive whole. As it warmed up some, the carbonation became more subdued, allowing me to appreciate the flavors better. Medium full mouthfeel was good, but never approached that velvety smoothness of the exceptional quadruples.

A good beer, but pales in comparison with its other illustrious brethren. Not a fair standard I suppose, since most other beers do as well.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On tap at The Red in Santa Cruz. Pours a muddy dark brown with a thick tan head that sticks around until the liquid is gone. Great thick lacing. Aroma is very deep, with fig, overripe plum, green apple, caramelized orange peel, ginger, phenols, and a touch of saccharine cola. Flavor is a little more straightforward. Rummy raisins, orange peel, ginger, and licorice. Alcohol and carbonation are a bit too apparent and so this beer is not particularly drinkable, but it is a nice warming winter treat to share.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

750 ml bottle, poured into la chouffe tulip.

Eyes: Pours a milky caramel latte colour. With the always expected monster head that accompanies BSDA's.

Nose: Some of the usual suspects- currants, cherries, burnt sugar, caramel, toasty malts, anise. And a few others accompany- peppercorns, clove, rum, vanilla, and straight up alcohol. No joke, I dipped my nostrils pretty deep into my glass, and I think my nashairs (short for nasal-hairs, haha) got singed.

Taste: Dark cherries, anise, plums. Spicy berries. Maybe a touch of mint. But not a lot of holiday spices at first. I can tell that this will change (improve) with warmth. Very juicy though, lots of cherry/berry flavors.

Cheeks: Surprisingly light-bodied. Carbonation tickles the tongue. The 10% is tough on the nose, but its pretty easy going down the hatch. Doesn't burn the mouth too much either. The reserved use of the holiday spices lets the body of the beer shine through as a decent BSDA.

Overall: Middle of the road for my journey through Christmas Belgian ales this year. So far, I would put La Chouffe and Corsendonk over this. But I enjoyed this more than Gouden Carolus and Delirium Noel (what the hell happened to Delirium Noel??? so disappointed). This is really good, but somewhat forgettable. I enjoyed every sip I had, but the taste disappears very quickly. And the taste that is there is very mild. I don't mind christmas/winter ales taking it easy on the spices, but I at least want to know they are there if I'm buying them. I could smell the anise and clove, but couldn't really taste much outside of the initial anise notes. Regardless, this is a solid BSDA if you're looking for one. St. Bernardus does a good job, and they made another solid offering with this ale.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: "08-08-17" stamped on cage
Glass: Tulip

St. Bernardus' Christmas Ale is a caramel, phenol, and ethanol-forward strong Belgian ale that is marginally satisfying for these flavors (though I'd go with any doppelbock instead). At times, I think I'm drinking caramel-colored and flavored fizzy, but less sweet, soda pop. Feeling generous, I say this is good, but not at all amazing, and at $12 for 750ml, I'll let it pass in the coming years (give me a Het Anker Blauw instead).

Pours a large (>3cm) head of medium-sized, beige-colored bubbles, yielding a somewhat frothy appearance. Retention is excellent, the foam lasting several minutes in a slow decline to a thick ring around the perimeter of the glass and a modest film lingering atop the body of the beer. Lacing is excellent, with meringue-thick and complex patterns clinging to all sides of the glass. Body is a very dark brown color, with light bringing out slightly lighter brown-orange hues around the periphery. Highly numerous and vigorous carbonation visible along the sides of the glass, but not through, the body being opaque.

Aroma is sweet, of very dark to burnt caramel, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper, anise, and slight ethanol. Despite the apparent complexity, the aroma is only moderately strong, robust, or expressive and does not make me get particularly excited about the beer.

Flavor of caramel-anise-ethanol as major notes with cloves and nutmeg, subtle dried dates and brown figs, and light banana ester as more minor characters. Front of palate is of dark caramel-like sweetness, ethanol, anise, light banana ester and dried dates. Mid-palate of dark and burnt caramel-like sweetness, anise, cloves, nutmeg, and slight ethanol. Back of palate of dark caramel, anise, ethanol, cloves and nutmeg (sharp phenols), much lesser light banana and dried dates. Aftertaste of ethanol, caramel-like sweetness, clove-like phenols, and cough syrup.

Beer is medium-light in body, with carbonation of high intensity, resulting in a somewhat fizzy, calming to foamy and smooth mouthfeel. The mouthfeel fits the expected idea for a Belgian trappist, though I think it's a bit overly aggressive and rough for such a huge beer. Ethanol present as slight heat in nostrils and mild burn on the back of the throat. Closes dry, with moderate stickiness lingering on the palate.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy-brown with a beige head that thins to a film.

Smell: Subdued, some dark fruit, malts and a light spiciness.

Taste: Sweet malts, dark fruit, a nice alcoholic spice, and a light bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, carbonation is a little high.

Drinkability: Too sweet and spicy.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had out of the bottle pouted into a Belgian style tulip glass. A number of sour notes to the smell and taste that seemed off. Not sure if I had a bad batch but almost felt like a lambic style any other st. Bernadus beers

750ml cork caged bottle

A- Foam immediately pours out of the bottle, and it keeps building inside even after a few pours. Slightly murky brown, with ruby hints if seen through light. Huge head that quite quickly recedes to about one finger of slightly off-white soapiness. Loads of lacing on the glass

S- Dried and dark fruits among a strong alcohol feel, with a faint spicy note to it. A hint of lactic acidity as well

T- A suprisingly dry and not so strong malt character (with some notes of caramel) sets this beer apart from most belgian strong ales and other St. Bernardus beers as well. A slighlty musty herbal feel plays a major role in this beer, though in my opinion it is not perfectly balanced with the beer's dry malt character. Strong alcoholic feel, with both plain alcohol and spicy notes from the esters. Assertive dark fruit notes of cherry, raisin and maybe more. A faint hint of lactic sourness as the smell suggested. Extremely complex, but a bit messy

M- It's dry malt charcter has this beer feeling quite light in body if compared to most belgian strong ales and given it's ABV. Alcohol can definitely be felt, and though it brings a nice warming feel it gets a bit too much in the way in my opinion. Average and spot-on carbonation

O- As i have already mentioned this beer is very complex but quite a bit of a mess. It still is decently drinkable and warming, but it's musty, herbal character just not gets in the line with it's dry malt character. I didn't notice bad or completely off flavours nor any other major issue, so i'm reviewing it

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer poured a cloudy dark amber color and formed a very airy large head that coated the glass with lace as it slowly subsided. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, yeast and candy. The flavor was of malt, caramel and candy. Fairly light compared to other styles by this brewery. The finish was quite sprite. Not a bad beer, but not up to the others from the brewery. Aging may help this one to improve.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured (too cold) into an older St Beranardus chalice.

In the low light, an amber-brown with a creamy, soapy head which dissipates to a beautiful lace.

The aromas are feint at this temperature. A good swirl later in the session brings out dried fruit aromas.

Flavors are caramel malt, raisins, dates. Sweet and spicy. It's a good flavor, last time I had it it seemed too sweet and somewhat unpleasant, but this is much more drinkable. There is a little hop profile, giving just a hint of bitterness (accompanying the spice: cinnamon, clove), but the sweetness powers through (the spice sticks around for a while). The yeast reminds of other St Bernardus brews.

Smooth mouthfeel, but a bit heavy and cloying. This one is a sipper. Tough to imagine drinking more than one of these.

Good, but not great.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

750 ml bottle, Lexx picked this one up.

Pours a cloudy orange/brown, big and loose off white head forms, settles to a thin layer, leaves behind some decent lace. Smell is caramel, cinnamon, bread, yeast, apples, alcohol, pretty rich aroma, nice. Taste is raisins, caramel, spices, bread, quite sweet, apples and spice in the finish, touch of brown sugar. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Overly sweet, carbonation was a little too high, made it kind of prickly. Overall okay but I was expecting more from this. Thanks Lexx!

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Super carbonated, will need to let this one chill out. As it falls, it leaves a sticky/sudsy webbing of sandy colored bubbles. Body is a deep, dark, mahogany brown.

S: A lot of yeast in the nose. Also some subliminal brown sugar, aluminum, minor dark fruits, cookie dough and spices.

T: First impression is the alcohol in this beer. This beer needs to be layed down for at minimum a few more months to let it chill out a bit. But enough of that, lets get back to business. After the alcohol, a molasses like sweetness mixes with the traditional Bernardus yeast. Spices of the likes of nutmeg, allspice, coriander and maybe even trace cinnamon can be found. The bready malt could be a bit richer and less subdued…but I bet some age would help that. Finishes quite yeasty with a whole lotta alcohol converges on all sides of the palate.

M: Full body and with just a touch of carbo sting.

D: I’m conflicted. This beer needs some time to lay down but I fear that the spices will be lost. Well, its way too hot now but I’m reviewing it for what it is. Its taking me a while to get through it. And as the flavor is good, its horribly unbalanced right now.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

As soon as I saw "Christmas Ale" on the label I expected beer as a mulled wine wannabe.
But to my surprise! Poured into my bar glass with an effervescent and lively head that refused to settle. It fought the walls of my glass as it succumbed to the inevitable forces of gravity. Looked all the world like unfiltered apple cider. A nice bucolic nose-- yeast, the grain harvest and some citrus zest thrown in for good measure.

At first I thought the mouthfeel was thin-- along with the flavor, but the more of this libation I consume the more I realize that this Belgian dark ale does indeed have the characteristic of many fine beers of the same style that I've sampled. There's a tartness, a biting edge that keeps the tanking session interesting-- I notice I'm licking my chops for the next sip. There's that tang of the citrus zest that I noted in the nose, the fine bitter hops, I swear I taste green apples, and some hints of spices-- even some coriander-- maybe, perhaps? But I think this is a pure beer-- no "improvements" added beyond the tried and true tradition of the brewing art.

This beer is worth your effort to find and the cost-- the 10% ABV will surely inflate the price per bottle.

One other thing-- it's not just for the Yuletide season-- I've put a few bottles in the cellar.
Come mid summer on a cool evening this should be a genuine treat!

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured with a decent foamy head of some stature, although by the time I get to my table it is much reduced. Colors of brown and red, hazy, leaning towards black on the shadowed side of the glass.

Nose is very malty, with dried fruit, molasses, allspice notes. Estery as well.

The bubblegum ester note is most prominent on the flavor, alongside the mulling spices. If this doesn't sound tasty to you, don't bother. Peppery hops. Lots of esters and phenols, but the spices are big.

Full body with a smooth carbonation. Finishes strong and sweet. Way too rich for me, but it's a fair Belgian winter ale.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Reviewed 1/4/2009 (bottle dated 19/08/12):

Pours a huge, active, frothy tannish colored head, with big bubbles. Body is a dark brown color, can't see through at all. Very floral, sweet smelling nose. Dark fruit like plum or grape. Some spiciness too, and a little bit of alcohol. Not an overpowering aroma. sweet spicy, effervescent aftertaste, not too drying, thirst-quenching. A fruity taste, somewhat dark, but some light fruit present too, like pear and banana. Nice winter spices. Carbonated palate, somewhat creamy. Not too bad, tasty for a spiced brew. Even tastier as it warms.

Christmas Ale from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV