St. Bernardus Christmas Ale | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by seaoflament on 10-23-2007

Ratings: 2,192 |  Reviews: 708

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.13/5  rDev -25.3%

I've been through half a bottle of this and I still can't get a handle on what to say about it. No hate no love...just beer.

Pours an amber near black body rather common with yeast filled quads. A nice head but thinner bubbles than perhaps I expected. I know 10% but others have done it. lacing is minimal but there.

Fruity somewhat citrus, think apples and pears with a lot of spice and belgian yeast. I don't think "christmas" but a dry and I mean dry belgian quad. Notice I made no mention of sugar or malt or candy. This is dry.

The beer really is dominated by a somewhat sharp acidic apple bear flavor. I get a lot of perhaps rye bitterness with actually more malt and sugar than expected given the smell. That said the sugars are lost quickly thanks to I really think there could be a brett or similar sour element here way in the back. Spices are all over the place but again not christmas spice.

There's a lot of bite but I'm thinking more of the rye bitterness than alcohol and to be honest it goes down easy, clean, and isn't overly thick. It's about as good as a quad can be if your goal is to chug. For those more sane with 10% beers it sips well too but expect a bite of rye and sour and maybe alcohol is part of this.

I'm not thrilled with this. I'm sure my score says 'bad" to mean, but honestly this is a nice beer. It isn't worth the 11-12 bucks but you get a drinkable beer with some nice flavors and it isn't boring or something you start naming clones of instantly. That said no, it's not new or unique but hey what is, right?

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This particular bottle has been aging in my fridge for the last year. The Christmas Ale is bottle conditioned so it poured with a generous head over its deep ruby brown body. The aroma was of fruits and malty sweetness with the taste following the same with some added complexity and a slight bitterness on the palate. The creamy mouthfeel rounded out this truly excellent Christmas Ale that is a fantastic beer for the Holidays.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus snifter glass.

Appearance: Extremely dark, but not pitch black like a standard stout. Foam dissipated quickly into a frothy coating.

Aroma: Sugar, spice, and everything nice. The only thing this beer didn't smell like was freshly fallen snow and a warm fireplace. Both of these though I would recommend pairing with this beer. Sugar, Cinnamon Sticks, Light Citrus, Cloves, and maybe a splash of vanilla. Reminded me of warm Gluhwein in the Vienna Christmas market.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Complex. Light carbonation. Most of the aforementioned spices spring up initially. A surprisingly medium body for such a thick tasting beer. Not milkshake thick, maybe it's just the multitude of Christmas flavours that are screaming to get out. Hops weren't so noticeable as it ended more with that herbal alcohol taste one expects from a Belgian Christmas Offering.

Overall: Not overly sweet or spicy, though there is a definite abundance of this in the beer's character. Again, probably best served when it's cold outside as it will warm you right up. Bought a second bottle to open Christmas Day.

2.72/5  rDev -35.1%

750ml bottle served in a small goblet

Looked good but maybe a little lighter in color than the ABT12. Not much foam when poured at first but later glasses had more foam. That slightly rosey transparancy in a strong dark belgian ale concerns me. Usually, the dark ales with no red color turn out to taste the best unless we are talking about Gulden Draak.

Smelled good. Had some fruit and bread on the nose.

When cold it was pretty good and I had high hopes as it warmed and opened but by the end of the bottle the hopes were dashed. What opened up was sickening sweetness then bitter and lots of alcohol taste.

Creamy mouth feel and nice carbonation. Warmed up it did pour a nice head of foam.

Overall, I should have kept cold. I will not be buying this again. I like sweet beers but this kind of sweetness is something else entirely. I have tried most of the St Bernardus offerings and I have to rate Abt 12 number one followed by the Tripel then the Pater 6 and Watou Tripel. This Christmas Ale I will lump in with the Prior 8 and the Wit as beers I will probably never have again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%