St. Bernardus Christmas Ale | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,280 |  Reviews: 739
3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I was recently in my favorite establishment in Rochester, NY which happens to have over 130 taps. To say they have a great selection would be an understatement.

I came upon St. Bernardus Christmas Ale quite by accident. I had requested a second of my usual amber beer from a well known German brewery that is quite good in its' own right, and for whatever reason the bartender provided me St. Bernardus Christmas Ale.

While it was a bit of a change from my usual beer of choice, I must admit that I was quite surprised by it's appearance, smell, taste mouthfeel and overall quality as my ranking of 5 indicates.

It was as if I walked into my favorite establishment and was swept off my feet by the most beautiful, intelligent, personable woman I had ever met. It was one heck of an experience.

It is important that I mention that this particular ale has an ABV of 10, so I would caution anyone to be very judicious when imbibing this great brew to either be home or have a designated driver. Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On Tap at Bier Station in Kansas City, MO. Poured into Tulip

A- deep amber, with iltte carbonation. Opaque with 1 finger head. head dissipates quickly and leaves great lacing.

S-spicy! coriander, clove, cinnamon,honey, malt, sweet belgian funkiness, bready, yeasty. yum.

T-wow. sweet, bready, malt bomb. spices galore, completely enhance what would otherwise be their abt 12. nothing i would change or add. perfectly balanced. ABV is completely hidden.

M-full, low carbonation. Clings to the tongue. wonderful.

O- Bernardus is in my top 5 favorites and this beer does not disappoint. Softer/flatter on tap versus bottle but I'm glad I had the chance to get it on tap. kegs are without conditioning so the experiences are different.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I gave bottles of this to some of my co-workers for a Christmas gift, but of course had to save one back for myself. Large bottle, cork gave a nice pop with no excess foam over.
Pours slightly murky, dark brown with a huge beige head. Foam settles to a small cap, enough carbonation to maintain the head and leave a good looking lattice of lacing.
Smell is of toasted, brown sugar, and some dark fruits.
Taste is very much the same, with raisins, plums, brown sugar. Finish has some spice, nutmeg and ginger. Aftertaste has a bit of Belgian yeast bite.
Thick and rich mouth feel and body, layers of flavor coat your tongue without being overly sweet or sticky.
An nice sipping beer, shared with friends and family. Warms the insides and takes away the chill.

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Deep mahogany brown, with little sparklies in it. The head is enormous with huge retention. After minutes, it starts to fall leaving craterous holes around the edges with sticky, gluey lacing. You can literally see the spices and the fruity flavors that will soon be coming your way.

Smells rich and fruity. Dark, ripes fruits fill the nose. Slightly peppery with some pear and a bit of alcohol. Figs, raisins, plums waft up from the glass to greet you.

Everything I said about the smell goes for the taste. Dark fruits, pepper, pear and pepper dance on the tongue. I don't know how you'd improve the taste of this beer.

It's creamy and full bodied. There's a fruity sweetness followed by a tangy, dry finish. Eventually, the alcohol shows up with a slight heat. Like the taste, I'm not sure how a beer, particularly a quad, could feel better than this.

This is an exceptionally good beer. It's very alcoholic but it's well-hidden. Easy to drink. I wish this wasn't a seasonal. Unless I crack open a bottle of Westy 12 that's been aging for a year, I already know this is the best beer I'll have this year.

4.06/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750 ml to a Rochefort chalice

A- Pours dark brown, with a creamy and frothy white head

S- Pungent dark fruits, sweet sugar, some toffee, very rich.

T- Sweet brown sugar, carbonation tingle up front, ,dry sweet dark fruits, alcohol on the finish, a weird metallic after taste that lingerd in my mouth long after the sip.

M- Full bodied, decent amount of carbonation that tingles in the mouth, finishes dry.

O- This beer has everything i want in a quad, except for the taste, they really lost me on it, looks perfect, smells amazing, taste just isnt there for me, not feeling this one St. Bernardus

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Swampy tobacco brown body with a massive beige head that paints lace all across the sides of the glass, retaining rather well.

Oh that smells beautiful - cinnamon toast, fresh bread, caramel malts and plenty of that signature St. Bernardus burnt brown sugar. The only descriptors I can come up with seem to suggest something entirely sweet but it really isn't... at least not any sweeter than most of the classic Belgian darks. This really does smell fantastic. What a pleasant change of pace compared to most American Christmas beers.

On the palate it doesn't provide quite the same degree of depth. Raisin, figs and dates... mellow cinnamon/brown sugar, there's almost like a honeysuckle type finish that cleans up the tongue. It's a bit more tame than the nose would suggest. Smooth, though, and exceedingly drinkable.

Merry fucking Christmas!