St. Bernardus Christmas Ale | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by seaoflament on 10-23-2007

Ratings: 2,192 |  Reviews: 708
4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bier Market celebrating Dan-O's Birthday. Cheers old man!

Deep brown with plum highlights. White head is in it for the long run.

Smell is a nice banana clove an sweet malt combination. Mild spices as well. And, of course, the classic St B's grape/raisin/malt combo.

Taste is amazing. Sweet Belgian malt, candy sugar, grapes, spices and a lovely finish.

Perfect body and nice carb. Almost perfect feel.

Wow. Awesome beer. One of the best seasonals I've had this winter!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Fairly reddish-coppery in hue with plenty of brown in the mix as well; attractive color (it's not too murky). Massive beige head, some three fingers worth; head retention was respectable. The bubbles, while large, were slow to fade away. A small, soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. Lacing started before I took a sip, I always liked that. Subsequent lacing was spotty, overall and somewhat disappointing. Still the appearance was respectable... aw hell, this is a good looking beer.

The nose is lightly malty, bread dough mixed with raisins and spices. Notes of brown sugar, figs, cola, and some chocolate; I even get a hint of root beer which I really like. The spiciness is quite light, so much so I can't really pull it apart. I can't tell from the bottle if this beer is spiced or if it is the work of the yeast. Maybe both as it is a Christmas beer after all. While the bouquet isn't very potent I really like what it is saying. Subtly complex and very appealing... maybe better than Abt 12! Or not... it is still an appealing nose.

Big flavors on the palate, way more than the nose indicated. Ripe fruits mixed with alcohol notes, spices (nutmeg, cloves, pepper, and allspice, coriander... to name a few) laced with caramel, molasses, and cookie dough. Pears, apples, figs, raisins, dates and a hint of something tropical... maybe cherries too (I love the fruitiness of this beer). Tongue coating maltiness, lots of caramel and dough with a kiss of chocolate which translates well into the aftertaste. I am totally impressed with the palate. I really like it, there is great depth without being overwhelming. I like the range of flavors... spicy and fruity (both dark and orchard), malty with just a kiss of booziness. This beer is hitting the spot with me... perfectly. I don't know if this beer is as great as I think but so what. I love it.

Medium in body, both light on the tongue and yet filling enough. Airy but amble... none of this makes sense on paper (computer screen) but it works like this on my palate. Moderate carbonation; I think the mouthfeel works very well with this beer. Did I mention the great aftertaste?

Damn drinkable. After tasting this I am even more pissed that I was not able to get this into Nebraska this winter. Next year, for sure! This beer really hit the spot with me. Honestly, this might be my favorite St. Bernardus beer. Damn, damn tasty. Thanks Bill!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Beer bottle (75 cl.) purchased from La Cervoiserie, and tasted in 2012.

Appearance : reddish brown color with a huge tan foamy head.
Smell : dried fruits and spicy aromas.
Taste & mouthfeel : sweet and malty flavors, leading to a dry alcohol finish.
Drinkability : a very good beer in the style Belgian Strong Ale. To drink at cellar temperature.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

On draft at kraftworks.

A- comes to me with a small cap of tan head that settles quickly leaving just a few spots of lace. Hazy murky dark brown red in color.

S- candied fruits and a subtle sherry note. Light fall spice that reminds me of christmas go figure. Cloves and nutmeg with some fried orange peel.

T- dark roasted malts bring in some light coffee and chocolate then the long and slow roll into candied dark fruits, cloves, a touch of cinnamon. Apple skins and apple brandy.

M- just about medium in body with a lightish carb that let's you really feel the brew and almost makes it feel a bit more substantial before its perks its head and washes it all away.

D- killer killer stuff. I love it what else can I say. one of if not the best xmas brew ever.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A- A deep, dark leathery brown liquid with a bit of murkiness to it. When held to a light, there are some ruby highlights at the edges. The creamy light brown head is thick and has excellent retention.

S- Brown sugar, vanilla, plums, gingerbread, and bubblegum. Very aromatic, unique, and inviting.

T- Same as the aroma. Sweet and malty with a nice fruity finish.

M- Exceedingly creamy and smooth with a good amount of carbonation to keep things lively.

D- Very drinkable considering the alcohol content. Very well made. World class.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV