St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Ratings: 3,152 |  Reviews: 1,274

1.59/5  rDev -62.4%

My first Tripel style beer, I spit it on my counter. The flavors of fruit combined with a bitter aftertaste left one bottle down the drain, and three still sitting in their case. Anyone near me is welcome to the other three. While I am confident in the quality of this product, this style is definitely not for me.

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

2.37/5  rDev -44%

04/03/15
Appearance: cloudy yellow. Lasting white head.
Aroma: fruit, ether.
Taste. Yeast, belgian Wang, late bitterness.
Feel. Pasty, bubbly. Not a fan.

2.38/5  rDev -43.7%

Poured a dark golden color with a two finger head (pretty aggressive pour).

Smell was more faint with some yeast and fruitiness.

Taste was a bit of a surprise. The only thing I could get out of this tripel was a banana/clove/nutmeg flavor (heavy on the nutmeg). These are not really flavors that I like in my beer and that's all my mind would focus on.

Beside the taste it was a drinkable beer, as it wasn't a heavy beer to me.

Unfortunately not one of my favorites. You can't like'em all.

2.52/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Strange aroma, maybe I´dont like this Belgian yeast.

2.56/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice.

A: Cloudy gold to orange color.

S: Over-ripe bananas, cloves.

T: Tropical fruit, hint of bubble gum, and some slight bitterness at the end.

M: Light and carbonated.

I didn't particularly enjoy this beer as it tasted a little funky to me. The mouthfeel would have made this an easy to drink beer, but the flover just didn't do it for me.

2.58/5  rDev -39%

A - Pours a cloudy copper with a one finger white head that dissipates in a minute. No lacing. Visible chunks of brown sediment float about in the beer. Very dark for a tripel, and chunks are not something I like in my beer. I hope this isn't spoiled. The flecks of sediment are a really, really big turnoff.

S - Dates, barley, molasses, apples and a bit of citrus. Smell is alright, the citrus clashes with the molasses and dates, but individually they are all pleasant odors.

T - Tastes very strongly of barley and sweet molasses. Nothing else except when the sweetness turns into a ascerbic aftertaste. It isn't that bad. But it really isn't that good.

M - Ugh. It is thin, carbonation is biting on the tounge (even though it doesn't foam or bubble like it is intensely carbonated) and leaves a film in my mouth. Sure, it quenches my thirst, but at what cost?

D - Either this is a bad bottle and this tripel spoils amazingly well, which I doubt (bottled 2004), or this is simply not a beer I enjoy. I have yet to taste a tripel that I would not choose over St Bernardus.

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Left a one finger head that quickly dissipated to just surface skim, no lacing. Body was a hazy light orange amber with some crazy carbonation visible.

Smell - esters; bananas, overripe apples and pears. Some phenols. Chalky yeast.

Taste - as promised by the smell. Overripe apples and pears with bananas washed through. Finishes with chalky yeast. Well hidden alcohol, can't taste it all.

Mouthfeel - thin to moderate, very fluid, highly carbonated.

Drinkability - This was not bad, but it was not terribly great either. I would probably not seek this out again. Anyway, high abv also restricts it to one per session for those who like it, although again high abv is well hidden, so be careful.

2.75/5  rDev -35%

2.75/5  rDev -35%

2.76/5  rDev -34.8%

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer looks like a golden snowglobe. Lots of suspended yeast. The Color is a light golden with a fair head. The smell is similar to a light beer with a alcohol bite. The taste is of alcohol with a corn-like presence. I prefer the St. Bernardus 8 to this by a wide margin. I may come back to this one at some point but the 8 has my money as of now.

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

Cloudy gold with a three finger white head with poor retention and little lacing. The aroma is very sweet, maybe even overly sweet. Candy sugar, grape bubblegum, spices, hops, and Belgian yeast.

The taste is just like the aroma. Sweet, in fact too sweet. Candy sugar, grape bubblegum, Belgian yeast, spice hops, and some pepper. This is sweeter than I would like it to be.

Light bodied, above average carbonation, with a sweet aftertaste. I know Tripels tend to be sweet, and I really like sweet beers, but the sweetness of this beer went overboard for me.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV