St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

sintbernardus.be

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Reviews: 1,267 | Ratings: 3,126

Poured into included St. Bernardus chalice a straw yellow with about a three-finger fluffy head. Good amount of lacing.

Smell is a yeasty sourness with some malt, brown sugar and alcohol in the background.

Taste is almost like a hefe-weizen on steroids (I like!), yeasty and sour with alcohol noticable but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is about as expected for the style... nice level of carbonation.

In spite of the high ABV this is quite drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

a - hazy orange yellow with a nice creamy white head

s - citrus twang, banana, lemon, spice, yeast, alcohol

t - banana and a very nice citrus flavor up front with some belgian yeast flavors. I get some malt flavor in the middle as well which is nice. a little bit of an alcohol bite on the way down, but pretty well covered up. Slightly dry finish.

m - creamy and full with the perfect amount of carbonation

d - I'm not getting much aftertaste with these triples, which I guess is normal. Outside of maybe duvel, this is the champagne of beers :) An excellent beer across the board.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the Idle Rich in Dallas, Tx.
Golden color, somewhat darker with a thick head that seems to stick around for a bit. Tons of carbonation come up from the bottom of the glass. The smell is fruity and peppery. The taste is quite spicy with the fruitiness taking a backseat. The alcohol is quite well hidden but the spiciness brings it out a bit. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, yet has quite a bit of carbonation. Drinkability is there.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Split a bottle of this with a buddy. Poured this into my Delirium Tremens snifter. Hazy golden yellow with a thick, bubble bath head that wasn't stingy with its lacing. Smell is a deliciously complex dance of citrus, spice, yeast, and some corn. Taste is sweet like a fruity candy, or like fruit cocktail. Pears and white grapes are noticeable. A bit too sweet for me, but still quite tasty. Mouthfeel is very smooth - nice and light with sufficient carbonation. This is a beer that is very easy to drink. It doesn't command as much attention as the Abt 12, but is still very enjoyable.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a snifter from an 11.2oz bottle.

A - Pours a hazy and dark yellow with a gignormous head! Decent lacing.

S - Bready malts, and cherries, raisins and apricots. Some cloves but the fruit is strongest in the nose.

T - Nice, a strong alchol taste, with some real good hop taste to balance the malt. Getting a lot of grapes and caramel. Very tasty.

M - Highly carbonated with a light body. Nice alcohol warming.

D - Good drinkability as with most, I want this on tap!

Sipped out of a chalice at Bastante, St. Louis...

Nice yellow- gold hazy appearance with appropriate sticky thin white head.
Smells of fruits, bananna, and candy... you can really drink in the smell...
The taste is first and foremost bubblegum; Sweet(ish), bananna, citrus fruit, and something that I swear is almosy fruitcake. Lots of interesting flavors, but a bit over the top and unbalanced for me. Too sweet, too fruity (and I like the style, thank you very much).
Feels slippery and full in the mouth. I could drink more than one easily, the alcohol is balanced nicely; but given other choices, I would take somethiing else....

Overall, very nice, but too many odd fruits and bubblegum. Although clearly high quality and world- class as a beer, I will likely always pick something else in the same price category and style type.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

33cl bottle poured into a Bokbier glass. Freshness date: 04/05/07

Appearance: hazy golden with a two finger head of white froth. Some sediment floating around as I poured it all in.

Aroma: really sweet, some orange peel zest and a lil bit of pepper in the nose.

Taste: goes down with flavors similar to the aroma. The belgian candi sugar makes this a very sweet tasting beer, sometimes that brings a warm flavor, but here the alcohol is still disguised well.

Mouthfeel: moderate amount of carbonation, medium bodied, slightly cloying.

Drinkability: I like the fact that this tripel is on the lower end of the ABV scale for this style., as with all of the St. Bernardus brews I've tried it is top notch.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is one of my favorite tripels!

This beer pours great golden honey color with a foamy white head and fine bubbles. Aromas of banana, citrus and honey. The palate is medium bodied with nutty malty flavors with hints of dried apricots and the bubbles are almost champagne like. Definitely give this beer a try

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. Cloudy golden in color with a very short lived, small head, but that could have been due to the motorcycle ride the bottle just took from the store back home.

Smells quite good with lots of citrus in the nose. Tastes wonderful, powerful but easy to drink, like a super strong hefewizen. The bottle was gone before I knew it.

Top notch like the other St Bernardus brews! Try it!

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an average head with a deep, cloudy, golden appearance, indeed, cloudier than I expected.

S: The smell is light, but fresh. Slight hop essense along with detectable fruit of some sort.

T: This is my first tripel and I can't believe how good this tastes. Firstly, the freshness is exceptional. Whatever bottle conditioning they're doing is working wonders. The taste is just very, very complex. It's not over the top, but it's just totally, totally balanced between fruit (berry) flavors, malt flavors, and hop flavors. I've never had a more flatline beer in my life where literally nothing pops out but there's so much going on. Very enjoyable.

M: Exceptional. Low carbonation, very smooth, very pleasant to taste.

D: Extremely drinkable but it is a high %age of alcohol, so please beware and don't try to drink more than one!

I'm new to this style, but I liked this a lot!

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Bright cloudy golden pour, huge bright white head great lacing, creamy head. Superfine bubbles on head - almost like whip cream, never seen a beer like this before. Smell of apricot and sourdough most prominent. My first Trappist beer. Fantastic thick mouthfeel, balanced sweet fruit and fig, with a bit of vanilla and molasses, and almond. Hard to find, though would absolutely drink again.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I've tried other Tripels and have enjoyed them all, but this is almost flawless. Pours beautifully - a hazy gold with an enormous, frothy, dense head. Smells sweet, fruity, yeasty, spicy, and a little doughy. Taste is amazing. Apricots, citrus, bananas, cloves, spice, pepper, and even some caramel and yellow-cake batter (wa?). The alcohol is also there, but it is nice and works well with it.

Mouthful is great, well carbonated, yet creamy. This IS liquid bread! Increadible (were all monks alcoholics?). Highly recommended, and the best of this style that I've had (superior to Westmalle in my opinion).

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this at a kiosk (Kiosk #25) outside of Luquillo, Puerto Rico. It was one of several great beers they had down there.

Had it straight from the bottle (they only had plastic 6-oz cups), so I couldn't really judge the appearance aside from me holding the bottle in my hand...which did look pretty good.

It smelled great, but tasted even better with a great mouthfeel, but this was all expected because of the brewer's reputation.

It was a very good beer, but note necessarily the best Tripel I've ever had; it's close to the top, but not the best.

I'me very glad I found this to try!

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

St. Bernardus Tripel: 11.2 oz bottle, best before 31-12-06, 57 º F:

Crystal clear gold with a nice frothy white head…a promise of beautimus lacing. But the aroma hits before the eyes can take it all in. Yeast, ginger, maybe even some pineapple. Creamy smooth on the tongue, and then there it is…the ginger again. Malt steps up to fill in with some subtly sweet tropical fruitiness. Finishes with a dry-fruity-malty-lightly-hopped flavor that sticks around for a while. This is one hell of a tripel and, unlike many it’s contemporaries, at 7.5% it is dangerously drinkable.

Cheers...

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Look: Opaque light golden/tan color, frothy off-white head
Smell: bready malts and yeast, little bit of banana and maybe some other fruits,
Taste: Sweet malts and yeast, apple, little bit of spice, citrus (maybe the hops?). Overall pretty sweet, with some sour apple/citrus. Slightly bitter and sour finish.
Feel: Crisp carbonation, medium-bodied
Overall a high quality tripel.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Pours a rich, cloudy, golden color with a big foamy off-white head. Some darker colored sediment poured out at the end.

Smell: Big, sweet, fruity aromas with green apples, honey and some floral notes as well. Awesome!

Taste: Huge fruity flavors up front, following the nose with the apple flavors and some spicy hop notes in the background. Richer yeasty, malty flavors linger in the background. Awesomely complex and perfectly balanced.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Pretty well carbonated, but not overwhelmingly so. Very rich, but still very smooth and drinkable. Goes down easy, maybe a bit too easy...

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

St. Bernardus Tripel pours a golden, peachish, orange with a nice fluffy head. The smell is good, medium to strong with malt and fruit like aromas. Its taste is good and unique, sporting a crisp floral like taste. Mouthfeel is light with a medium carbonation. The carbonation gives a kind of airy bubbly feel. Overall the drinkability of this beer is really good. It packs a good subltle kick with a well blended taste and smooth feel. I found it to get better at mid glass, but still it was nice the whole way through.

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the third chapter in my St. Bernardus exploration. I'm not a big Tripel fan (I prefer quadrupels and, to a lesser extent, dubbels), but I will attempt to judge to style, and hopefully I'll be presently surprised.

My gradually evolving method of reviewing is generally to observe my beer when it comes out of the bottle, write down my observations while it breathes for 5 or 10 minutes or so, and then do the majority of my writing during the first several sips. Then I let it sit and warm up for a bit longer and if anything significant changes, I'll make a note of that as well. I've noticed that a lot of beers didn't really do it for me straight out of the wine cooler (even though I try to keep them at around 50 degrees), but as they warm, it becomes a whole new experience.

We'll see how it goes...

I used my trusty Stone RIS tulip glass for this; my receptable of choice of late.

This one poured a cloudy gold to copper. I think I got a little too excited when pouring it, because I noticed the liquid was thicker and darker at the end, no doubt caused by sediment escaping the bottle. However, it's so murky in there that it's hard to tell. The head filled nearly half the glass, a beautiful, white fluffy masterpiece. By the time I wrote the first paragraph of this review, however, that head had settled to mere lace, with scattered bits of froth clinging to the sides all the way up to the lip.

A little swirl and sniff and...phenols. The first thought that came to my mind was "band aids." Another sniff and I picked up some fruity sweetness, some pepper, maybe a hint of sour citrus, and the slightest suggestion of pine.

First sip: noticeable alcohol burning to start, then a sweet tangerine flavor, then maltiness, and a mostly clean finish that's mildly sweet and a bit peppery and resiny.

These qualities remained constant through the next several sips.

After giving my palate a breather, I took in a small sip and let it roll around on my tongue. I could feel my entire mouth pulsating from the burn of the alcohol combined with the carbonation, but once this subsided, the most noticeable new effect was a sweet carob-like coating penetrating the tip of my tongue.

I'd say this fits the site's description of the style, and vs. other Tripels I've tried, it's more complex than the normal crisp, bubbly, champagny kind of sensation I've gotten in the past. However, I'm not all that fond of it, primarily because the alcohol stands out too much and subdues what appear to be some tasty flavors underneath.

Of course, the same thing has happened to me before with the Abt., which, at its best, is one of my all-time favorite beers, so the Tripel definitely deserves another shot, probably after a little bit of hibernation.

3.74/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 750 into a Chimay chalice. Cloudy dark yellow with a lose foam. About a half inch. Dissipates quick to a film. The first smell is heavy apple cider after a little warming it reminds me of canned fruit cocktail. Taste is very fruity. Pineapple, citrus, apple and a few others I can't define. Slight alcohol finish. Lots of carbonation with a lighter mouthfeel. Good Tripel but not one of my favorites.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a hazy, golden brew. Quite a bit of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.
The smell is doughy, yeasty with a spicy and fruity undertone.
The taste isn't that of classic tripel. It's sour & sweet at the same time and fruity (lemon, apple, ...) with a strange underlaying flavour. Dry finish.
The yeast plays a big role in this brew.
Medium body, thinner than I expected. Lively carbonation. The acohol is pretty apparent for a brew that's only 7,5%

This was an unusual tripel, and one that I did not quite fully understand. A solid and enjoyable brew, but in my opinion not among the best in this style.

Imho, the St. Bernardus beers are a bit overhyped. Sure, they're all pretty solid beers, but maybe not as good as some others.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Yowza! This is one of the best Tripels I've tasted in a while ... maybe the best.
It pours a beautiful cloudy gold with a thick creamy head. Does the head ever leave? St B always seems to have one of the thickest/creamiest heads on a beer that I've ever seen. You've got to see it to believe it.
The nose is much stronger than most of St B's varieties with hints of fruit, citrus, herbs, butter, and butter scotch that intensify as you make your way down the shaker glass. Though it sounds intense, it finishes very nicely without the sugary finish most Tripels seem to have (at least the US varietals).
It has a thin mouthfeel, but it doesn't detract from it's taste or finish at all. I could probably drink this all night ... though I'd be afraid what I'd look like at the finish line. The subtle 8% ABV can sneak up on you with this puppy.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

And so we begin, Het Kapittel.

Appearance - Quite a strong, deep golden color. Slightly hazy. Nice head, but not nearly as much on this ale as you might typically find on the Abt 12. Creamy and white. Good retention, though! Impressive lacing, too.

Smell - Surprisingly, one of the most prominent aromas seems to be alcohol. Grassy hops are noticeable. Nice, fresh buttery bread and yeast. Rosewater, honey, even subtle lemon/ citrus notes. Lots of floral accents with complex spices and dry hops.

Taste - Vanilla bean, banana, Belgian candi sugar, flowers and herbs (banana leaves), dry Saaz pilsner hops, fresh bread or vanilla cookies, honey, cloves and a tangerine finish. Slightly sour and yeasty. Very well balanced. This is where this beer stands out.

Mouthfeel - Leaves your tongue buzzing. Very tart due to the complex Belgian dry-hops, yet all the candi sugars keep the dry hops on the tongue relaxed and balanced. You can feel this trigger all areas of the mouth. Leaves a nice sugary coating on the mouth with a warm alcohol sensation.

Overall - A fantastic Tripel. More on the sweet side compared to giants like Westmalle, Koningshoeven (although Koningshoeven is quite similar in sweetness) or Chimay, but nonetheless, incredibly complex and precise. Dry, sweet and fruity, yet elements of sourness make this beer very enjoyable. There is an amazing breadth to this beer. Clearly, a carefully crafted Tripel!

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from bottle.

A: Cloudy dark yellow in color. Large head at pour that settled into a lingering foam throughout drinking.

S: Smell is complex with a slight sour scent. Do I smell something like incense or herbs?

T: Taste is slightly bitter and sour, but not overpowering. No real remaining aftertaste.

M: This beer nips ever so slightly at the tongue. You can feel the carbonation long after you can see it.

D: This beer is very drinkable, although I don't think I'd want more than a couple in a row with the alcohol content at 8%.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a Belgian-style chalice.

The color is golden-brown with lots of floating sediment. There is moderate carbonation and a quickly-fading head with good lacing.

Smell is a toasty, bready aroma.

Taste is very smooth, yet complex; the alcohol is barely noticable. There is a candy sweetness along with medicinal phenols and the bready malt taste up front. This fades to a noticable, but slightly alcohol warmth at the finish with faint hops.

This went down exceptional well with my roast duck. An excellent tripel.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours golden & cloudy. Fluffy head stick around for a long time... as well as all along the sides of the glass. Fruity nose... citric fruits... apricots.

Taste is outstanding. Smooth and sweet flavors that end spicy and dry. Unbelievably smooth. Creamy mouthfeel, moderate carbonation that's somewhat prickly. Highly drinkable... barely noticeable alcohol. Not much more to say, really. This beer deserves it's high rating, no doubt.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV