St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Ratings: 3,183 |  Reviews: 1,283

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a cervoise. Best before 08/31/10.

Appearance: Off-white head. Hazy orange body.

Smell: Doughy yeast smell. Little bit of fruitiness behind the yeast.

Taste: Doughy, spicy yeast. A little bit of cloves, apple, and bubblegum.

This is a fine beer. Not great, but fine.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%

Nov 11, 2007

750ml bottle. Pours a golden amber with a fizzy white 1-2 finger head that dissipates to a 1/8" head that retains to the bottom of the glass. Nice lacing.

Aroma is yeast, fruit (banana), some spice/pepper.

Flavor is sweet, more banana, spice, yeast.

Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, just the right amount of carbonation. Finishes dry. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

I'm more of a fan of dark Belgian ales (LOVE their Abt 12), but I still enjoyed this Tripel from St. Bernardus.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

750ml corked bottle. Cloudy golden yellow with a tall white head that was fed by a constant stream of bubbles. Nice creamy thick lacing. Rich sweet fruits aroma with some pears and a nice amount of spice as well. Notes of yeast and doughy malts came out as well. Starts off with a smooth sweet fruit medley of pears and some others I couldn’t quite pick out. A good mix of spices, yeast and bread came though to balance the sweetness and add great depth to this. Finishes up dry and spicy with hints of fruit. Fantastic taste with plenty going on. Good thickness to the body with plenty of carbonation, perhaps a tad too much at times. Greatly drinkable stuff as well. Easily one of the best Tripels I have ever had.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

11.2 oz. from gift pack (BBD 13.07.11) into St. Bernie chalice from same gift pack - its maiden voyage! It's a bit of a gusher - is that a world-class Tripel in your bottle or are you just glad to see me?

Excellent bronze, hazy color with solid carbonation rising to 1-finger yeasty head with a nice chunky seam spot-on at the .33cl marking of the glass.

Great candied ginger, sweet lean brown sugar syrup notes. Smells like a pot when making pralines before the pecans are added. Hearty grain bill with slight mild bitterness (piney).

Flavor profile is a bit lean for the style - not too sweet at all - great yeast electricity and mild hop pine in there. Good mellow ginger essence; more spice (clove) emerges with warmth. Slight intermittent metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is traditional sprightly-carbonated warmth of a Tripel. Austere on the palate and finish is smooth and bubbly.

This drinks extremely well - very clean and bright with deep grain heartiness. Alcohol is quite hidden. A classic effort.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle poured hazy orange little white head that turns to some lace. Belgium yeast, fruit and malt aroma, clean mouth feel some light carbonation. The taste on this one is lightly sweet malty fruity start slightly hoppy bitter finish. Not one of my favorite tripel’s but good non the less

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%

I purchased this single bottle on a trip last summer to Milwaukee. I have kept it in a cellar since and have been looking forward to trying it for some time now. The weather outside right now is negative 30 degrees and I think this will warm me up right. Let's find out.

Appearance - Poured into a snifter the body is golden orange and the head stands tall at almost two inches. The frothy head is pure white and slowly retreats.

Smell - Soapy aroma but images of apricot seem to fill my head.

Taste - The flavor is sweet malt and it interestingly migrates throughout my mouth. I taste it first at the tip and then it moved to the top back of my throat. After that it settles in a broad band across the middle of my tongue. The tastes are very similar but subtle differences in each making for a complex tasting tripel. I think this is exactly what the Monks were trying to do.

Mouthfeel - The true complexity in this beer is the feel. After three sips my tongue enjoys a numbing effect starting at the tip and working its way back. It seems to evaporate in my mouth. Truly exceptional!

~ What can I say other than, "I wish I had another to follow this one." Every beer fan must try this luxurious brew. I can't say it's the type I would sit down and polish off a four pack but certainly two would do the trick.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours gold with a good sized head that dissipates quickly and only leaves spots of lacing. Nose is lighter than expected with lemon, malt, and some yeasty notes. Flavor is a bit more robust with bright acidity, pepper, grain, and more bitterness than expected. Overall, an average tripel from this powerhouse brewery.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Beautiful gold, cloudy with yeast that I couldn't avoid, despite a delicate pour from a bomber (with laughing drunkmonk on label) into my Duvel tulip. Thick, cream, persistent head.

Nose is full of yeast, alcohol, pungent fruit, slight yet sharp herbosity on the edge of it. Wonderfully pungent.

Taste is a bullet of flavor shot at the tongue, strong peppery peach, soft biscuit, warm alcohol, which stretches into a looong finish of sweet fruit-dominated herbosity and understated caramel.

Mouthfeel is thick and clinging, magnificently so, yet light with carbonation and a dryness which is just right. Excellently enjoyable

Drinkability is better than any of the others of this style I've enjoyed. I think this bottle will be gone much too quickly for my sobriety's own good.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

How have I not reviewed St. B's Tripel?! It was one of my first Belgian ales and a beer that changed my perception of what beer could be!

33cl, best before 4/11/14.

A lovely, hazy amber with a copious head. Textbook lacing and solid retention.

The aroma is floral and sweet, with some estery ripe fruit.

The flavor has a sweet, honey-like character, countered by a drying alcohol presence and earthy yeastiness. Notes of clove and orange. Sweetness could be tempered. The mouthfeel is fluffy and soft, with cascading carbonation.

Though the St. Bernardus is a touch too sweet for me as far as Triples go, it's still a very good brew and nothing to turn my nose up at.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV