St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

4.24/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,166 |  Reviews: 1,280
3.35/5  rDev -21%

11.2 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

hazy golden orange with a frothy white head. leaves a touch of lacing.

fruity sweet aroma with candy sugar and a hint of the alcohol content. a touch of belgian yeast and belgian spiciness.

medium-bodied and a high carbonation. bready malts with herbs and an alcohol sweetness. much more subdued than the 12 in flavor. goes down easy, but fairly reserved for a tripel.

3.37/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured this 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Date? on back of bottle is 05 10 10. Perhaps an expiration date?

Leaves about a quarter inch white fizzy head after a standard pour. Very cloudy and opaque with much sediment. Gold straw color. Some small head retention. Minimal carbonation.

Yeasty and spicy nose and taste with a banannas frutiness.

Medium body. Good carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

This is fairly good and pleasant but too characterless, bland, and dry, traits that I find all too often in dubbels and tripels and which make me sometimes wonder what people see in the style, before I again find one that is wonderful.

Bright, clear gold before the sediment makes it hazy, it has a huge white head that steadily but quickly shrinks to a lasting, thin wispy top and leaves a little uneven, foamy lace.

The aroma is lots of grain, light raisin, bread crust, mineral, some pear and hay, overall a bit like a nice malt liquor or a pale bock.

The taste is pear and hay at first, with mineral, slightly raisiny but mostly dry alcohol, and a hint of lemon pulp, but all thin and dry, with a finish and aftertaste of dry fruit candy without the sweetness. This leaves it largely one-dimensionl and bland.

3.39/5  rDev -20%

A -
golden in color cloudy thick white head laces out after a while

S -
yeasty and fruity lite spice

T -
yeast spice up front finishes with a fruitiness

M -
light bubbly and drys the mouth out

D -
better then most triples i have had but still not a fan

3.39/5  rDev -20%

Pours cloudy with zero head. A medium brown with a tinge of orange throughout. Not surprisngly, no lace.
Smell is malt, sour, banana, spices and sour apple. Well balanced.
Taste is weak witj malt, sour, green apple, light spice and a hnt of vinegar. Not as good as th nose.
Medium body with lighter than expected carbonation. I wish I could rate this as well as everyone else. I love theor other brews a lot but this one just came up short to me. I'm hoping this one is bad honestly.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Served in a branded goblet, poured an orangey-yellow colour with a pure white head a full finger tall. A spicey nose that describes the flavour perfectly. Tasted like beer with hints of cardamom and a little cinnamon. Not as sweet and rich as I expected a Belgian Tripel to be.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

A - Poured into my Bruges snifter with a nice amber color with a thin one finger light white head which quickly receded. Lots of floating bits in this one. Not very clear. I think its cause i dumped the entire bottle and didn't stop like i probably should have.

S - Quite a subtle nose on this one. Gentle notes of belgian yeast come in up front as well as citrus and notes of sweet stone fruits come in next. Some spicy phenols and alcohol are present.

T - This really doesn't taste like it smells. Don't get me wrong, i like it, but is not what i expected. Its very dry and has a subtle Belgian yeast flavor. Hints of lemon and spice that i cant quite identify. It also has a decent herbal hop presence.

M - Very dry with a medium body and a strong carbonation. This is one crisp beer.

D - Although its as dry as cotton, its got great flavor and is quite drinkable. Definitely not a session beer, but a great one to end the night with.

3.42/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

A - Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an SA glass (sorry, the closest thing I had to a chalice!). Poured mid-amber with a bubbly three-finger head with oily lacing. No freshness dating noted on bottle.

S - Superior malty smell, along with some spice..clove, maybe?

T - Yep, it was clove! But it's not overbearing. A bit of pepper in the aftertaste.

M - medium-bodied, you can sense the alcohol. Very good carbonation. I get the taste in the rear center of my mouth.

D - I once thought that Trappist Ales were the best beers available. As I get older the IPA's and the darker stuff has more appeal to me. Not bad, though...would drink again.

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a hazy (due to a not so careful pour) orange color with two pillowy fingers of white head.

Smells of sweet grain with some light bubblegum and very light clove notes.

Very sweet grain upfront with a much spicier finish than the nose lets on...clove, and a bit of bitterness on the finish.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation and finishes dry and warming.

My first Tripel was Tripel Karmeliet and that kind of turned me off to the style as I wasn't a fan of the phenolic spicy qualities. I've since tried a few other examples and St. Bernardus has been the mildest in terms of these notes which I appreciate.

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was generally underwhelmed by this one, but its still a quality drink. It just doesn't live up to the hype that the Abt 12 Quad left me with.

As previous reviewers have noted, the color is significantly darker than other Tripels and the aroma more subdued. Head pours boisterously and full of large Belgian type bubbles. However, retention is brief and shorter than expected given the relative low ABV. Aroma throws up some Apricots, mild notes of yeast, some biscuit...just aromatically different in comparison to other Tripels. Taste is mostly dominated by the biscuit and reminds me more overall of a very bready and unhoppy amber ale. No notes of alcohol, dried fruit, or anything one has grown used to in Tripels.

I was a thrown a curveball and while this beer was more than just drinkable, it wasn't what I expected when I bought it.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok, I'll keep the speech short and sweet. A big milestone for me, review number 2,500. I'd like to thank beer advocate for an amazing web site, by far the greatest beer related, and among my top 5 sites period. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 6.25 years on this site.

Also a huge thanks to my in person trader, the legendary woodychandler, whose beers make up, I would estimate, roughly 12% or so of the beers I have reviewed. And lastly the people on this site, most of whom are great people and a joy to interact with. (wipes small tear from eye).
Ok, onto the beer.
Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of mild fruits, malts. Taste is fruits, spices, pepper in particular, alcohol is present, some sweetness as well. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall an enjoyable beer, but I was expecting more, consider me underwhelmed.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV