St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Ratings: 3,152 |  Reviews: 1,274

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5/15/05- Purchased at Draeger's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle caged and corked. A best by date on the cap of the cage. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- Brown, almost amber pour. Huge fat dirty blonde chunky head and excellent lacing. Huge chunks just clinging to my glass upon finishing. Literally could stick my finger against the dried lace and could pick up the glass without it falling off my finger.

Smell- Nice and sweet as well as a very sugary smell. Seems cookie dough is about best way to describe it as most reviewers of this have said about the same thing.

Taste- Sweet and sugary, maybe some vanilla, butterscotch?, caramel, and citrus fruit shavings (lemon, orange, banana). Almost like drinking a sweet fruit cocktail with a caramel suprise on the side.

Mouthfeel- Average to low carbonation, nice coating feeling from the thick caramel flavor.

Drinkability- Probably the best or at least comparable to the best tripel I have had. I just hope the store gets some more of these in soon. Time to stock up and age a few.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a cloudy, murky dark orange in color with a two finger almost pure white foamy head. The aromas consist of bready pale malts, a boatload of yeast, citrus, bananas, and cloves. This has a nice spice to it. The flavor is very but in a light manner. It has a lot of yeast and citrus to it and is mildly sweet. It has a lot of flavor for a tripel and the alcohol is very well hidden. This beer drinks as smooth as any tripel that isn't La Fin du Monde. It almost melts in your mouth. I really enjoy this beer. I'm convinced this brewery can do no wrong at this point. I'd highly recommend this one.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Review from 12/2010 notes. Poured into a St. Bernardus goblet. Pours a cloudy orange amber; thick white head and lots of lacing. Mild aroma of yeast, faint citrus, a bit sour. Light fruit, sweet malt, slight citrus and spicing. No sign of the sourness in the aroma. Finish is very nice light fruit and sweet malt. This is the best tripel I've ever had. This is the beer that got me interested in tripels. Excellent.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks goes out to sirhc for this brew.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger plus creamy white head, lots and lots of sticky lacing follows. The nose is malty, yeasty, nice touch of cloves/bannanas, slight grapefruit, grassy. The taste is malty, and yeasty for the most part, nice touch of cloves/banannas/grapefruit. This is a tasty tripel, the finish is very smooth. Medium body. Drinkable, another tasty brew from St. Bernardus.

This was poured into a chalice. The appearance was a hazy to cloudy burnt pale orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a half a minute. Lacing is messy with light foamy strings. The smell had a sweet pear with the "iced aples" I normally get with most tripels. Light "cake-like" quality runs nicely. Light Belgian spices end up coming out slightly as it warms. The taste was mainly sweet through the malts and then slides into a sweet tropical fruity flavor. Dry sweet fruity aftertaste leads into the finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. Carbonation seemed to be good and low. Dryness hits my tongue decently. Overall, I wonder if I’ve had too many Americanized versions of tripels that now when I go to have a real Belgian one that I get thrown off a bit. Don’t get me wrong this was a really nice Tripel I’m just not sure why I got that "cake-like" aspect in the smell. Still, I’d have again.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok, I'll keep the speech short and sweet. A big milestone for me, review number 2,500. I'd like to thank beer advocate for an amazing web site, by far the greatest beer related, and among my top 5 sites period. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 6.25 years on this site.

Also a huge thanks to my in person trader, the legendary woodychandler, whose beers make up, I would estimate, roughly 12% or so of the beers I have reviewed. And lastly the people on this site, most of whom are great people and a joy to interact with. (wipes small tear from eye).
Ok, onto the beer.
Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of mild fruits, malts. Taste is fruits, spices, pepper in particular, alcohol is present, some sweetness as well. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall an enjoyable beer, but I was expecting more, consider me underwhelmed.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a gold color with a white medium sized head that remains through the drink. Some sediment is also there. Little lacing develops just above the surface. The aroma is of yeast, citrus, and bread. The flavor is a great balance of malt, bitterness, yeast, citrus, and nuttiness.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and some tingling develops in your throat during the swallow. The bread tones last long on the tongue. This is a meal in a glass. I'm going for another helping...

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my DFH snifter, I can't find my St. B glass...grrr.

Beer is amber and hazy. Forms a HUGE head that falls away to one finder and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is high and steady. Looks awesome.

Oh sweet Jesus, it smells like awesome. Write awesome on a piece of paper and then smell it, that's what this is. Its estery and sweet with a level of great yeastiness (that's a word according to google). Its perfect.

Creamy medium bodied beer with a dry finish. The forward is mildly sweet. The midpalate is moderately sweet and estery. The yeast character is lower than you'd expect. This beer is awesome. One of the best tripels I've ever had.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Having passed over this year-round and easily attainable Tripel multiple times, I figured it was a nice time to grab open and share with my girlfriend over dinner. Corked and caged 750 ml bottle, poured into two tulip glasses, pair with braised Hawaiian jerk pork.

A: Golden rustic light copper body with an active stream of carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The retention cap is really nice but this beer lacks every bit of lacing. I wouldn't say it's detrimental but I've seen plenty of Tripels give a better appearance than this one.

S: Alcohol esters are immediate on the nose along with a base of doughy yeast and some milled grain. A nice amount of spice, lemon and orange come through. I was surprised I didn't get any notes of banana in the fruit aspect but it still took on a very traditional aroma.

T: Orange and lemon fruits bring a rush of flavor to the palate, followed quickly with the classic Belgian yeast notes I've come to love and expect to taste. Light white pepper spice hints are towards the end, along with banana and bubblegum into the linger.

M: Highly bubbly and active carbonation, fairly light-bodied with a general "spritzy" feeling to it. I'd like this a bit less carbonated with a solid medium body to it.

This is a very classic approach to the Belgian Tripel and is a very good, solid demonstration of it. For me, the high amounts of carbonation were a bit of a distraction but the flavor profile stood on it's own. Overall, one of the better Tripels I've had but not the best.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Spicy palate, aroma of licorice, not quite the towering head of a Karmaliet. Body is just about right, almost oily. Nice tripel, but not my favorite....

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

My first Belgian beer in India. Found it at Take 5 restaurant in Bangalore on 100 ft. street.
Keep in mind, this is like finding a gold nugget in a pile of poo. So I enjoyed it!
Nice pour, although in an Orval glass, but who cares at this point. Hazy light orange/golden color with rather thin head (due to wide glass I bet). Slick look to it, not a whole lot of cling to the glass.
Coriander and orange peel dominate the nose. Some slight bready yeast and sweet malt come through as well.
Taste follows nose. Coriander spice and orange peel. Some other citrus flavors and soft banana hints.
Good feel to it. Nice slight bite, clean finish. Went well with steak.
and grilled veggies.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle served in a goblet.

I'm not impressed. Let me count the ways...

The aroma and flavor are just basic bready sweetness with a big of yeast and tiny touch of hops. Yes, this beer is smooth and really hides the alcohol, but I find the flavor bland and uninspiring. I had no problem taking my time with this one and probably won't return to it. There are better tripels out there.

UPDATE: 11/8/08 on-tap at Lee Gribbons in Emmaus, PA.
A much more impressive beer this time around. It was a touch on the thick side, for the style, but there was a great range of phenols. I mean this beer was spicy, damn. There were also mellow banana and subtle clove, matched with a sizeable hops bite of herbal lemon and citrus rind. Yum. Very tasty, but I might have trouble drinking a few of these.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It has a creamy citrousy scent; very nice. I also has another smell that I can't put my finger on; probably yeast. The taste is decent. It is rich and full of pale malts, belgian yeast, and some mysterious flavor. I really don't know what it is. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. I think this is an excellent beer; a great Belgian.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

It took THIS long to try St. Bernardus Tripel? What in the world is going on? Well, the chance is here, splitting a 330 ml bottle with my cousin. On to the beer;

We're looking at an amber golden color with some cloudiness and a long lasting, puffy soapy head. Aroma...different at first. Sage and wildflowers notes rise out with a sweet, sugary crust. Warming allows canteloupe and apricot to appear, which helps boost the overall impression of the nose.

An interesting blend of flavors. Surprisingly complex, let me sort out the flavors I'm getting: honey, white pepper, canteloupe, wildflowers, and some phenol action. This beer dries up on the palate in a snap. The carbonation give the palate a massage with its bubbles. The alcohol is barely traceable.

Ok, so I expected a little more, but I'll leave this one being satisfied.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV