St. Bernardus Tripel | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Reviews: 1,265 | Ratings: 3,120
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Review from 12/2010 notes. Poured into a St. Bernardus goblet. Pours a cloudy orange amber; thick white head and lots of lacing. Mild aroma of yeast, faint citrus, a bit sour. Light fruit, sweet malt, slight citrus and spicing. No sign of the sourness in the aroma. Finish is very nice light fruit and sweet malt. This is the best tripel I've ever had. This is the beer that got me interested in tripels. Excellent.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a gold color with a white medium sized head that remains through the drink. Some sediment is also there. Little lacing develops just above the surface. The aroma is of yeast, citrus, and bread. The flavor is a great balance of malt, bitterness, yeast, citrus, and nuttiness.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and some tingling develops in your throat during the swallow. The bread tones last long on the tongue. This is a meal in a glass. I'm going for another helping...

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle served in a goblet.

I'm not impressed. Let me count the ways...

The aroma and flavor are just basic bready sweetness with a big of yeast and tiny touch of hops. Yes, this beer is smooth and really hides the alcohol, but I find the flavor bland and uninspiring. I had no problem taking my time with this one and probably won't return to it. There are better tripels out there.

UPDATE: 11/8/08 on-tap at Lee Gribbons in Emmaus, PA.
A much more impressive beer this time around. It was a touch on the thick side, for the style, but there was a great range of phenols. I mean this beer was spicy, damn. There were also mellow banana and subtle clove, matched with a sizeable hops bite of herbal lemon and citrus rind. Yum. Very tasty, but I might have trouble drinking a few of these.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

My first Belgian beer in India. Found it at Take 5 restaurant in Bangalore on 100 ft. street.
Keep in mind, this is like finding a gold nugget in a pile of poo. So I enjoyed it!
Nice pour, although in an Orval glass, but who cares at this point. Hazy light orange/golden color with rather thin head (due to wide glass I bet). Slick look to it, not a whole lot of cling to the glass.
Coriander and orange peel dominate the nose. Some slight bready yeast and sweet malt come through as well.
Taste follows nose. Coriander spice and orange peel. Some other citrus flavors and soft banana hints.
Good feel to it. Nice slight bite, clean finish. Went well with steak.
and grilled veggies.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok, I'll keep the speech short and sweet. A big milestone for me, review number 2,500. I'd like to thank beer advocate for an amazing web site, by far the greatest beer related, and among my top 5 sites period. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 6.25 years on this site.

Also a huge thanks to my in person trader, the legendary woodychandler, whose beers make up, I would estimate, roughly 12% or so of the beers I have reviewed. And lastly the people on this site, most of whom are great people and a joy to interact with. (wipes small tear from eye).
Ok, onto the beer.
Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of mild fruits, malts. Taste is fruits, spices, pepper in particular, alcohol is present, some sweetness as well. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall an enjoyable beer, but I was expecting more, consider me underwhelmed.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks goes out to sirhc for this brew.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger plus creamy white head, lots and lots of sticky lacing follows. The nose is malty, yeasty, nice touch of cloves/bannanas, slight grapefruit, grassy. The taste is malty, and yeasty for the most part, nice touch of cloves/banannas/grapefruit. This is a tasty tripel, the finish is very smooth. Medium body. Drinkable, another tasty brew from St. Bernardus.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It has a creamy citrousy scent; very nice. I also has another smell that I can't put my finger on; probably yeast. The taste is decent. It is rich and full of pale malts, belgian yeast, and some mysterious flavor. I really don't know what it is. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. I think this is an excellent beer; a great Belgian.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

It took THIS long to try St. Bernardus Tripel? What in the world is going on? Well, the chance is here, splitting a 330 ml bottle with my cousin. On to the beer;

We're looking at an amber golden color with some cloudiness and a long lasting, puffy soapy head. Aroma...different at first. Sage and wildflowers notes rise out with a sweet, sugary crust. Warming allows canteloupe and apricot to appear, which helps boost the overall impression of the nose.

An interesting blend of flavors. Surprisingly complex, let me sort out the flavors I'm getting: honey, white pepper, canteloupe, wildflowers, and some phenol action. This beer dries up on the palate in a snap. The carbonation give the palate a massage with its bubbles. The alcohol is barely traceable.

Ok, so I expected a little more, but I'll leave this one being satisfied.

The beer pours a cloudy dark yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the oranges and lemons with some Belgian yeast notes. I also get a little bit of bready malt. The flavor is a mix of Belgian candy sugar with some orange and bready malt notes. There is also a little bit of alcohol present. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter, foamy white head sticks around. Murky gold in appearance. Spotty lacing.

Big time juicy fruit aromas. Malty whiffs. Freshly cut hay.

Taste is very balanced. Tart green apple upfront. Tangy and has a nice belgian twang from the yeast. Has a mild spice componant, coupled with carmelized brown sugar. Hop is herbal and leafy, touch of lemon.

Full bodied and adheres to the palate. This beer is becoming a part of me. Finishes semi dry with a lingering sweet boozy note.

This one sure does drink well. Every sip makes me want to take another. Its fairly strong, but its not overpowering. Complex, yet mellow. Good brew here.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a golden yellow color with a foamy large head.

The aroma has sweet citrus fruit of orange, a bit of tangerine, along with peppery spice and banana. There's some bready malt in there as well and a slight bit of alcohol.

The flavor follows with this clean balance of sweet orange, banana, apricot, onto a gentle crackery malt. There's a peppery spice and then finish hits you with a bitterness that leaves some drying and alcohol at the end.

The body is light with lots of carbonation.

This tripel is really fantastic. It's fruity, light, and highly drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a very hazy golden with a quickly dissappearing head.

Smells of bubblegum and apples with a slight whiff of hops.

Wonderful bubblegum taste that fades to hop crispness and then to a waxy, but pleasant finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp but with a nice body.

Very drinkable. The yeast adds interest and the crispness and medium carbonation make it refreshing.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a wine goblet.

Appearance: rich golden color, slightly opaque, notable carbonation. About a 1-finger head which dissipated quickly leaving a thin white residue.

Smell: quite fruity aroma of apples and pears. Citrus notes with light wheat/malt aroma present. Very nice indeed.

Taste: slightly tangy citrus flavor against a very smooth, nice malt and wheat base. A bit of a tart/astringent finish, but I think this just adds a little pleasant contrast to the sweet/fruity up-front flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium body with plenty of carbonation. Nice.

Drinkability: eminently quaffable.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A lovely concentrate of orange tones with a squirt of lemon; pour it into a jar and try telling someone it's not marmalade - they won't believe you. With a little brightness behind you'll observe the hundreds of bubbles that vivaciously kick off the bottom each second. As result, the complexion gives air of a snow blizzard. It's been some time now and this carbonation continues to subsist and contribute profusely to the puffy, spotlessly white head.

I can't say for sure but it would seem like this brewery uses the same yeast strain for all their beers. Granted, it's a marvelous culture (see: St. Bernardus Abt 12) but I find it much better suited to darker beers. This has fruits but they don't match the colour of the beer; tripels should conjure to mind summer flowers and orchard fruits but in this I smell raisins, rye bread and stewed prunes. Despite a hint of vanilla, I'm not blown away by esters or phenols.

The taste steers us back on track with a big, hunky body of malt. This may be a delicate Belgian Tripel but it's just about as malty as any English bitter. It has a stiff, crisp toastiness and stale bready graininess but it's coated in the sticky, sweet sugars of boiled malts. It often feels grassy and earthy, like you're chewing on hay. And despite all the malt, it still senses a little light-bodied and a bit short on flavour, or something...

And that 'something' is two things actually: esters and phenols. This is lightly fruity in a very under-ripe sense. I suppose I taste a bit of still green pear or crab apple but there isn't anything remotely citruisy or vivid about the taste. Secondly, there's a huge gap where usually a peppery, zesty spice (often clove-like) adds a spicy, fiery dimension to compliment the alcohol and add texture. This is soft and mild without much fruit and spice to fall back on.

No matter how many times I revisit them, I've never been won over by either St. Bernardus tripels (this or the Watou Tripel). I just haven't tasted the spicy, summery, fruity effervescence that I love about Tripels. This is still a pleasurable thing to drink nonetheless and I wouldn't veer anyone away from trying it. But for me personally, I'll probably stick to Westmalle and Karmeliet for my tripels and leave St. Bernardus to the dubbels and quads.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with a dense meringue like three inch head. A cloudy deep gold color. Lightly sweet but dry at the same time. A bit of orange crosses my tongue. Smells Belgian in its complexity (imagine that), a fruitiness and a mustiness is here in the nose. A sharpness in the taste is present from the carbonation (this beer is well carbonated). There is some spiciness in the nose too. Very well put together triple, there is a certain softness/ roundness from the malt that ties this beer together very well. Definite alcohol notes if you look for it, but definitely not in your face. Displays the classic Belgian lacing as you work your way through your glass. One of the best, if not the best, examples of the Tripel style of beer.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

330ml bottle from Tres Bonne Cuisine on Overland in Boise for $3.25.. Today was my first trip to this store, and I was blown away when I saw this. I never remember seeing St. Bernardus brews in Boise... granted the tripel is the only one they had.. but still fantastic for the Boise BA's.

Poured into my Delirium tulip.. decanted to leave behind most of the yeast.. 2" head that left sheets of lace... Slightly hazy golden brew.

Aroma is pale malts and yeasty fruitiness... white peaches, low apricots and whiffs of strawberry... touches of spice.

Tropical fruit flavors are abound in the flavor.. mango and melon .. and more peach essence... the subtle sweetness ties everything together perfectly.. a little white pepper adds alot of complexity... Viscosity is a solid medium for the style, but it's a creamy medium.

Overall world class hands down. I am sooo happy that I have access to this beer now. Thanks to Barbara at TBC.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a very mildly hazy gold with a puffy white head.

Smell sweet and spicy. Clean scent of ripe banana, cinnamon and cloves. Pleasant scent of honey, coriander and flowers. Alcohol carries a pleasant scent of black pepper and pipe tobacco.

Taste is sweet and fruity. Tasty honey and brown sugar dominate at first, then the spice gets stronger. Coriander is up front in the spice flavor. Nicely balanced flavor that doesn't let anyone aspect take over Mild acid shows up in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, creamy without getting choking.

Excellent drinkability. I would drink this every night if I could find it and afford it! Probably THE example of what a Tripel should be.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Have had this on tap on several occasions here in Baltimore. While always good, there does seem to be considerable variation in the quality of the beer, perhaps based on how long the beer has been on the gas. In any event, had this beer on tap at Mahaffey's yesterday. I believe it was tapped at least several days ago.

The beer pours a hazy golden peach color with very good head retention and excellent lacing. On the nose I get a hint of citrus, honey and gingerale. The beer smells pretty good, but tastes even better. I get some moderate sweetness initially, but the beer finishes with considerable hoppy bitterness, leading to a pretty dry flavor profile. Nevertheless, there are attractive flavors of melon, apple, orange citrus and honey. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and the beer is remarkably drinkable for the 8% abv. The alcohol is very well disguised in this beer, and this is one of the easier to drink tripels I've come across.

Perhaps not spectacular, but a very nice beer nonetheless.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 mL bottle,

A: Pours yellow with a full white head with solid retention, light Belgian lace.

S: Candied pear, pineapple, spice, banana, various fruit.

T: Fruit along with various spice elements - coriander, pepper, and yeast esters make up the main flavour. Lightly boozy, but it melds with the flavour well. Hops are minimal, good balance between the diverse tastes.

M: Not overcarbonated which I like right off the bat, very smooth and drinkable.

D: Really nice tripel, it goes down almost too easy. Definite repurchase in the future.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the 11.2 fl. oz bottle marked 29-05-15. Sampled on July 3, 2013.

It pours mainly pale yellow with a decent white-fizzy head and plenty or carbonation. Slightly cloudy.

The aroma is delightful with a good dose of Belgian yeast, Belgian pale malts, biscuit, and the slightest herbal quality. Very mellow and easy to absorb.'

The body falls into the medium range and it is creamy too.

Everything about this beer is mellow and relaxing. The taste us a pleasant combination of pale malts, Belgian sugars, and low bitterness. Not as citrusy and tart as other Tripels I have tried, I enjoyed this brew.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle, best before 08 Mar 10. Had this bottle for some time, my wife and I are staying at the brewery in two weeks time, so I've decided to open the one remaining St Bernardus I own before we travel. Very suprised to see I've never reviewed the tripel before.

Poured carefully into a Westmalle Chaice; no sediment in the pour, so a clear old gold body sits in my glass, on top a solid foam blanket of bubbles. Bubbles rise through the beer, it looks inviting. The head has the power, strenght and condition to stay complete throughout the tasting, very rare, even on the best tripels. The sediment was poured into a small wine tasting glass, it was taken after the review.

Dough aromas, with yeast, but this isn't any sort of bread in my hand. The sediment had a more vinegarous and potent smell.

A deep warm glow desends down your body as you sip the beer, this is good stuff. It feels a lot heavier than the 8%ABV it admits too, some real body in this master of tripels.

I am very lucky (various reasons) and have had many Belgian tripels, both on tap and bottled, this is without doubt one of the best.

I mentioned in the review I would be staying at the brewery, well the first beer I had from the fridge in the Brouwershuys was a Triple and it was poured for me by no less than Hans Depypere, the owner of the brewery. The fridge is free to use if you are staying at the lovely appointed and furnished B&B.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

This bottle from the LCBO gift pack says it's 8%?

A: Yellow-brown, quite clear. Pours with plenty of head, leaves a little lace.

S: Sweet bready malt, a little citrous and spice.

T: Dominated by warming alcohol. Fruity, sweet bready malt, with a little spice. Sweet, slightly tangy aftertaste. Lots of flavours.

M: Moderate body, moderate to high carbonation.

D: Quite good, though inhibited by the alcohol taste.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pours lovely deep golden with lots of haze. The really tall compact but still light white head dissipates slowly into great lacings.

S: Light but complex. Fruit, yeast and spices. Green apples and oranges and slight lemon sezt.

T: Caramell-malt, dry and only light sweetness. Yeasty and spicey. Ripe fruits; pears, apples, oranges and some citric sezt. Complex and well balanced. Perhaps slightly sour.

M: Long bitter, dry and slightly sour aftertaste. Body is light and carbonation quite rich, but still smooth.

O: A very nice Tripel, well balanced and smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a cloudy gold in goblet glass with great carbonation for a one-finger head that slowly dies and is a constant along with lace down the glass. A great orange/citric smell along with tartness and yeast and has hints of figs, berries and sweet malts. A medium-bodied beer that ranges from fluffy sweet and smooth to sharp and sour. Started crisp with a tart fruit taste, like sour orange, but passed smoothly and the sweet caramel malt picks it up and it goes down easy with a sweet backbite. Other flavors include berries and figs and hints of toffee. This is a great beer that I could have all day.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Will pour a five+ finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Hazy pale amber color. Honey and fruit nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is light honey, yeast and pear. Nice triple. Higher ABV is hidden. $17.00 for a gift pak of four 330ml bottles from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV